Re: 3 free agent destinations for Gordon Hayward 

Post#42 » by Spud2nique » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 am

Stu boy... oh boy.. :roll:
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#43 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:25 am

Not buying it. Travis is not trading for him when he doesn’t have to.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#44 » by jfs1000d » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 am

Odd that Gordon didn't opt out.

Maybe he will do a one year $38M in Atlanta next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#45 » by Buzzard » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:33 am

jfs1000d wrote:Odd that Gordon didn't opt out.

Most are thinking he is giving Ainge some professional courtesy to find a landing spot that meets his criteria . Otherwise they think Hayward is ours as a free agent or SNT with Dedmon that gets them a TPE.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#46 » by Spud2nique » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 am

Buzzard wrote:

Most are thinking he is giving Ainge some professional courtesy to find a landing spot that meets his criteria . Otherwise they think Hayward is ours as a free agent or SNT with Dedmon that gets them a TPE.

How do you like Hayward as a player Buzz man?
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#47 » by Buzzard » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:43 am

Spud2nique wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

How do you like Hayward as a player Buzz man?

I like him a lot and gave my opinion that I thought he was more important than Smart a month or two ago. I did/do not like him as a one year rental though. Long term he will be a instant upgrade and I think make us a lock to overtake Orlando, Washington, and Charlotte for a 8th seed
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:19 am

If we can simply absorb him into our cap space on a 1-year deal, it'll be a huge coup for us. He'd make a huge upgrade at SG next season and could mentor K Huerter for the year.

We simply have to convince him to come...

Read on Twitter

A sign-and-trade deal is a possible route, but Atlanta is equipped with the most cap space in the league at around $44 million and can simply sign Hayward to a hefty multi-year deal if he decided to decline his option.

Atlanta is seeking an alternative playmaker to incorporate alongside young star Trae Young. Hayward, 30, has plenty of interest, sources said. The 6-foot-7 small forward has a player option for the 2020-21 season worth $34.2 million.

He had a deadline of Nov. 17 to decide his course, but both sides have agreed to push the deadline back to Nov. 19. This move is to provide more time for talks to continue on how to move forward, sources said.

The 10-year veteran averaged 17.5 points, 50% from the field, 38% from 3-point range while pulling down 6.7 rebounds last season for the Celtics.

NBA free agency begins on Nov. 20.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#49 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:09 am

Boston has bigger plans?

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#50 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:40 am

Oh hell nah I already made peace with getting Hayward and that was hard for me. No turning back now.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#51 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:56 pm

It's all posited on how high the price is. That there's a S&T apparently being discussed is, as I'd said a page or two ago, indication that the price is up there, whether in terms of dollars or years or, more likely, both.

That is likely going to be the ultimate source of indigestion among us, I believe. But Schlenk doesn't set the market. The market is whatever the market for GH is.

Having said that, if part of the deal is that we get to shed Dedmon's $13.3m salary for this year and can use that on someone else in free agency, that's a decent benefit to us. If you think about the math, worse case scenario is that Gordon's contract for 2020-21 will consume $34.5m of the ~$49m space we'd had, but with Dedmon's $13m going out, that mitigates the effect of that $34.5 down to a net of $21.5m... so we still retain a significant chunk there that keeps us in-play for another significant asset.

Then, if on top of that, we're also receiving a 1st round pick, then that's pretty compelling reason to agree to the S&T.

Then, on top of that further... isn't really probably better if Harden *isn't* on the same team with Kyrie and KD? Probably.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#52 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:51 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:It's all posited on how high the price is. That there's a S&T apparently being discussed is, as I'd said a page or two ago, indication that the price is up there, whether in terms of dollars or years or, more likely, both.

That is likely going to be the ultimate source of indigestion among us, I believe. But Schlenk doesn't set the market. The market is whatever the market for GH is.

Having said that, if part of the deal is that we get to shed Dedmon's $13.3m salary for this year and can use that on someone else in free agency, that's a decent benefit to us. If you think about the math, worse case scenario is that Gordon's contract for 2020-21 will consume $34.5m of the ~$49m space we'd had, but with Dedmon's $13m going out, that mitigates the effect of that $34.5 down to a net of $21.5m... so we still retain a significant chunk there that keeps us in-play for another significant asset.

Then, if on top of that, we're also receiving a 1st round pick, then that's pretty compelling reason to agree to the S&T.

Then, on top of that further... isn't really probably better if Harden *isn't* on the same team with Kyrie and KD? Probably.

Thanks for those numbers. I think there's no chance he comes to Hawks in a trade. Ainge doesn't have the leverage and won't attach draft compensation to let him walk away.

Most likely Hayward wants more years and money than his deal. If he takes 3 yr/60M that's not a terrible deal. That would likely leave us with enough for a max contract offer to someone next offseason still, especially with Dedmon contract being immensely flexible/moveable.

I could also see Schlenk offering 18m/yr to Joe Harris as well. Wouldn't you rather have Hayward? It could be argued either way but Hawks upside a lot higher with Hayward.
Commit to the process
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Why Gordon Hayward may not land with Hawks

The Athletic's Jared Weiss shared some intel later Tuesday that suggests the 10-year veteran isn't gung-ho on playing for a mediocre Hawks team.

"According to a person familiar with Hayward’s thinking, the 30-year-old former All-Star wants to continue to be a core part of a winning team and would not want to go to Atlanta," Weiss wrote.

The Trae Young-led Hawks have plenty of upside but had the NBA's fourth-worst record last season still aren't close to being a contender. As Hayward enters his 11th NBA season, it makes sense why he'd want to compete for a playoff team, especially after the Celtics reached the Eastern Conference finals in three of his four seasons on the roster.

So, where could Hayward end up if not Atlanta? Weiss pointed to the Indiana Pacers, who reportedly have interest in the Indianapolis native, as a strong candidate.

"What Hayward wants is to maximize the prime of his career, to fill the role he knows he is capable of after all the injuries and constant questions about how they’ve affected him," Weiss wrote. "It’s why Indiana is such a great fit, as Hayward can go home and be a focal point of the offense on a team still in position to take the next step into contention."
NBC Sports - Boston
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#54 » by Spud2nique » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Why Gordon Hayward may not land with Hawks

The Athletic's Jared Weiss shared some intel later Tuesday that suggests the 10-year veteran isn't gung-ho on playing for a mediocre Hawks team.

"According to a person familiar with Hayward’s thinking, the 30-year-old former All-Star wants to continue to be a core part of a winning team and would not want to go to Atlanta," Weiss wrote.

The Trae Young-led Hawks have plenty of upside but had the NBA's fourth-worst record last season still aren't close to being a contender. As Hayward enters his 11th NBA season, it makes sense why he'd want to compete for a playoff team, especially after the Celtics reached the Eastern Conference finals in three of his four seasons on the roster.

So, where could Hayward end up if not Atlanta? Weiss pointed to the Indiana Pacers, who reportedly have interest in the Indianapolis native, as a strong candidate.

"What Hayward wants is to maximize the prime of his career, to fill the role he knows he is capable of after all the injuries and constant questions about how they’ve affected him," Weiss wrote. "It’s why Indiana is such a great fit, as Hayward can go home and be a focal point of the offense on a team still in position to take the next step into contention."
NBC Sports - Boston

Good we don’t want your a$$ Hayward. Damn Stevens pet.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#55 » by saloonyk8 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:32 am

Most likely Hawks were never players for GH. Just used is for leverage like every other FA
Commit to the process
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#56 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 am

Read on Twitter
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#57 » by azuresou1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm

I hope we don't S&T for him. He's always been a good player, but as a Tier 2 and at this stage of his career at Tier 3 guy. We shouldn't tie our fortunes long term to this guy.

I WOULD be very open to simply absorbing him into our cap space, and giving Boston a massive TPE with a fake 2nd/Euro rights. That feels like a win-win for both teams - we get a great 1 year rental to improve the team, and they have much more flexibility in any trades.
Radioblacktive1
Senior

Post#58 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm

I know I would much rather have Hayward than Gallo. Hayward’s injury history is iffy enough, I simply do not trust Gallo to stay healthy.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#59 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Haywatch: t-minus 45 minutes.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#60 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Rumors circulating earlier that NYK's main focus was going to be FVV, and it would take a $20-$25m chunk out of their ~$40m space.

I'm counting on that.

Return to Atlanta Hawks