2020 Draft - Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,034

Re: 2020 Draft - Part II 

Post#621 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 am

NatP4 wrote:

Everything you just said. The new NBA is about guys that can lead your team with the ball in their hands. Highly competitive smart players that can make the right play in the PNR. You’re aiming for a van fleet/Lowry type with this pick.

New NBA, same as old NBA.

Make shots, get stops.

Raving about intangibles being the key is the new my dog ate my homework.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#622 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 am

DCZards wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:Excellent!

If it's the 2021 OKC pick that should be pretty good. 2021 is reportedly a strong draft and OKC is likely to miss the playoffs in a brutal western conference. We don't have a 2021 pick as it stands now.

Okay, but the skeptic in me says that because the Wizards traded him the Vit dude likely turns into a very good player,

Where does Winston fit behind Wall, Smith, Napier, and even Troy Brown?

Napier is a free agent.

Whoa, I stand corrected!

In that case I’m okay with Winston. He’s solid.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#623 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I'll judge this draft by our UDFA pick ups.

Diakite ??

Nate Hinton.
Nathan Knight.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#624 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 am

Ok. So which UDFAs do we grab?

Hinton and Diakite and I’d be happy
In Rizzo we trust
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#625 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 am

Good night :sleep:
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#626 » by WallToWall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Guess we'll use the MLE to add some D. ?????

What are you talkin' about? What's "D"? There's no D in W-I-Z-A-R-... oh, there it is.
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#627 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:35 am

The one thing I find funny is that in this day and age, w/access to seemingly everything, we can go quite a while w/o a clue what we actually got for trading out of 37 and even at this late hour have no idea what future 2nd rounders are in play as the back part of the deal beyond Winston. It's just kind of odd. Fans that have any interest at all will want to know the contours of the deal. When we have guys jumping ahead of the actual picks on tv to reveal the news, to have no clue what year or even what compensation exists to begin with in regards to a trade just strikes me as obtuse.

Regardless I like the deal for us if for no other reason than the poor quality of the draft and the perception that future classes are virtually guaranteed to be at least perceived as better and deeper. I'd much rather move down and have a second in '21 or '22 or '23, then have picked at slot.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#628 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 am

Oh well. Nate HInton on a 2 way deal to the Mavericks.
RealGM

Post#629 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 am

Jalen Smith and Chris Paul added to Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton!

Wow, I’m actually happy for Jalen Smith. He’s landing in a great spot.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#630 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:52 am

Coach Monty Williams of the Phoenix Suns Is from Oxon Hill, Maryland.

Jalen Smith is going to be the steal of this draft.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#631 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:02 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Coach Monty Williams of the Phoenix Suns Is from Oxon Hill, Maryland.

Jalen Smith is going to be the steal of this draft.

Monty seems like a good coach. I had no idea he's from Oxon Hill - that might have had something to do with picking Stix. Great night for Stix - I'll be rooting for him. He really made a great decision coming back to MD for his sophomore year. It paid off.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#632 » by TGW » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am

Hinton goes to Dallas, and Dotson to Chicago.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#633 » by Kanyewest » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 am

payitforward wrote:Deni Avdija was by far the most talented guy on the board at #9; no matter how bad a guy is going to be, in that situation you have to take him. The fact that we could have traded down (or up -- even sideways) & done better or equally well if not worse will never prevent this guy from being out of the league sooner than any player who has ever turned out to be the steal of the draft (which, barring other outcomes, is what I predict for him).

One thing you know: when you pick a sure thing, you're up for a wild ride. I look for this guy to ascend quickly -- he's a strong candidate for RoY, maybe even Training Camp Player of the Year: he's gonna come on that fast.

Listen, you have to keep in mind that the draft is a crap shoot, & we scored big: Deni Avdija has a very high ceiling. In fact, I'd say he has a cathedral ceiling! No, I mean a synagogue ceiling, of course.

& that's just on the first floor. He has a second floor as well -- tho I don't know how high the ceiling is up there.

It's a sure thing that this guy will provoke a lot of doubt & uncertainty for as long as we don't know what out of his past he can improve in the future -- & vice versa. Above all, it seems that the people who like him are an entirely different crew from those who don't -- very little overlap -- but I think that with coaching we can get past that.

In any case, as all of you have observed so perspicaciously on other occasions, the things he doesn't do on the court, other people can do. But the things he does do will provide a notable extra benefit because of the way the rest of the team does them too. Which should lead to some creative lineups.

Admittedly, until he improves his shooting, he will provide little spacing -- but remember: the timing for his spacing is as yet unknown.

When he gets here & we see him for the first time, we'll have a chance to take another look. Until then, we won't know until then. Leave it at that.

Apparently his father is a Muslim and his mother is Jewish. So I'm not sure how high his ceiling is :D
RealGM

Post#634 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 am

Now that’s some Romeo and Juliet ****. I like him better if true about his parents.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#635 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:58 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:The one thing I find funny is that in this day and age, w/access to seemingly everything, we can go quite a while w/o a clue what we actually got for trading out of 37 and even at this late hour have no idea what future 2nd rounders are in play as the back part of the deal beyond Winston. It's just kind of odd. Fans that have any interest at all will want to know the contours of the deal. When we have guys jumping ahead of the actual picks on tv to reveal the news, to have no clue what year or even what compensation exists to begin with in regards to a trade just strikes me as obtuse.

Regardless I like the deal for us if for no other reason than the poor quality of the draft and the perception that future classes are virtually guaranteed to be at least perceived as better and deeper. I'd much rather move down and have a second in '21 or '22 or '23, then have picked at slot.

If the Winston pick is successful, PIF will release the trade down kraken.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#636 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Overall, I'm very pleased with Tommy Sheppard's process, even if I'm a bit ambivalent about the results.

Sheppard was not worried about winning now. His goal was long term - to acquire the highest upside talent for the future. I'm happy with that. I especially love that we traded the #37 pick for a future pick. (Presumably that future pick is an OKC 2nd rounder, hopefully next year when they will miss the playoffs.) That shows patience and a focus on long term upside over short term gain. Once Tillman and Bey were off the board, I didn't really like anyone left at #37 anyhow.

On the actual picks, I have no strong reaction. Like most others, I'm a bit nervous about Avdija because he can't shoot (yet), and it's always hard to predict how players will fare in the NBA when most of their highlights were against second-tier competition. But I don't profess to be an expert on him so I'm not going to confidently state it was a bad pick either. All I really know is that he was a consensus top 5 pick that slipped to us at #9. That suggests that it was a good value pick relative to the consensus, whatever that's worth. I preferred Halliburton, but was surprised as everyone else that he fell past Phoenix and San Antonio too. Maybe there was a medical issue?

I don't really care about the Cassius Winston selection. Maybe he'll be able to fill in as a 3rd string PG who costs only $900K rather than the $1.7M that a vet-minimum guy would cost. So, that's useful I guess. In the long run, picks in the 50's never pan out to be anything more than journeymen, so it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. There's always a Chris Chiozza available in the G-League.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,854

Post#637 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm

payitforward wrote:Tommy sold that pick? In this draft?

What a colossally stupid thing to do. Well... didn't take long for this team to prove that it doesn't know what it's doing under a new GM any more than it did under the previous one.

Rui -- bad pick.
Admiral -- buy a pick & waste it.
Deni -- keep your fingers crossed.
no one -- good god....

I'm sick.

I went to bad right after posting the above.

I haven't yet gotten through the rest of the thread, but I did read that we got Cassius Winston & a future R2 pick in this deal, so I need to take back my grouch above.

Winston should be a good player for us. He had terrific years as a Sophomore & Junior, then dropped back a little this year. I expect him to be a very solid backup PG for many years -- & he has the potential to start & be good as well. Some comparisons to Lowry. I like him a lot, & getting a future R2 pick makes this look like a pretty solid deal for us.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#638 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

montestewart wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:The one thing I find funny is that in this day and age, w/access to seemingly everything, we can go quite a while w/o a clue what we actually got for trading out of 37 and even at this late hour have no idea what future 2nd rounders are in play as the back part of the deal beyond Winston. It's just kind of odd. Fans that have any interest at all will want to know the contours of the deal. When we have guys jumping ahead of the actual picks on tv to reveal the news, to have no clue what year or even what compensation exists to begin with in regards to a trade just strikes me as obtuse.

If the Winston pick is successful, PIF will release the trade down kraken.

If the Tyrell Terry pick to Dallas ends up being the steal of the draft like a lot of people think, I'll release the Trade Up T Rex. The fact that he fell to round 2 just reminds us all that the league's F.O.'s are filled up to the neck with dribbling morons left and right.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#639 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Fat, slow 4th string PG.

Wohoo.

One of the best players in the country over the last 3 years. Absolute stud, lights out shooter, leader, alpha, character guy.

That’s a home run at 53. I would’ve been thrilled with Winston at 37. I wanted a Van Fleet type of player in round 2, this is it.

That’s an excellent move. We all had PTSD from Ernie.

LOL -- I think you are correct about this! I know I did.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#640 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:33 pm

DCZards wrote:
DCZards wrote:My draft predictions for the Zards:

#9 -- Isaac Okoro (assuming Okongwu is gone)
#37 -- Daniel Oturu (rebounds & rim protection)

The Zards will buy at least one second round pick. They’ll use the pick to select either Cassius Winston or Immanuel Quickley.

Looks like I got at least something right. :)

Better than me, that's for sure! I had 10 rookies -- none of 'em named Avdija or Winston! :D

Return to Washington Wizards