Image ImageImage Image

Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#21 » by TheStig » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 am

Skinny Joker!
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#22 » by BigUps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 am

barn34 wrote:I'm trusting AK on this.....but it doesn't give me a lot of hope when most of the highlights are of him missing shots from the post. He moves well, but he's no jokic. So nobody should have that expectation level.

You’re right, he’s probably the next Dirk.
joncoker22
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#23 » by joncoker22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 am

He actually moves his feet pretty well on defense. His shot looks good. Maybe he can be a good bench player next to Gafford in a couple years.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#24 » by erlim » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:01 am

Read on Twitter

He looks like how Boylen envisioned Lauri.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#25 » by chicago paxsons » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 am

At the very least I hope he actually comes over, considering out of all of garpax's draft and stashes only asik and mirotic came over. Ak doesn't seem the type to simply waste a pick and the fact he has connections in europe, he might know whether or not simonovic is actually interested in coming over.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#26 » by Clint Eastwood » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 am

I am absolutely certain that he would have been a first round pick if not for his teams uniforms.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#27 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 am

Looks like Lauri's future replacement.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#28 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:29 am

BahamaBull wrote:
BigUps wrote:Our Joker will arrive in a year.

perfect!!

we just got Torrey Craig with our #4 pick...Whos our jamal murray?

He's no Joker. And Lavine can be our Murray. I would like to see him get an opportunity in the playoffs. I think he can turn it on in that type of setting. But we may never know.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#29 » by StunnerKO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 am

Pre-Draft Analysis
A near 7-footer with impressive skill, Simonovic has been one of the most productive young players in Europe for Mega Soccerbet since the start of the current season, averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per game. He's shooting over 40% for 3 on ample attempts, over 80% from the free throw line the past two seasons and is a much improved passer who can also put the ball on the floor. Simonovic doesn't have a very appealing frame, with narrow shoulders and what appears to be a mediocre wingspan that makes it difficult for him to find a position to defend even in the Adriatic League. That's the main concern projecting him to the NBA, as big men who are neither rim protectors nor capable of guarding the perimeter are increasingly difficult to hide. - Givony

Post-Draft Analysis
Simonovic initially announced his intentions to withdraw from the draft, then changed his mind, signaling to NBA front offices that a team had promised it would select him. Simonovic is a highly skilled big man with 3-point range who can also pass and attack closeouts effectively. His defense needs work in order for him to carve out a niche in the NBA, but he's in an outstanding developmental situation with Mega SoccerBet and has been posting impressive numbers this season thus far. -- Givony
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Post#30 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 am

The bringing the ball low then up for release shooting form that looks a bit slow has me concerned. But maybe he can speed it up for the NBA.

Hope he’s a steal. We know we need the young talent.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 467

Post#31 » by Future Coach » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:15 am

I will preface this by saying I have not seen much film on him, but from what I have seen:

Positives:

- fluid athlete with good/great coordination for his size (players used to get picked much higher just for this)

- has decent touch/control with his right hand all over the court

- can shoot from the outside decently well for his height (with qualifiers - see negatives)

- young, yet still has experience as far as physicality against grown men

- can be stashed overseas for further development

Negatives (or at least questions):

- his outside shot starts below his waist. While his shot & general stroke from the outside appear fluid/smooth when wide open, not only are NBA players much better defenders/athletes than he has faced, but overall he wont be nearly as open as often in the NBA. In other words, he needs to change his shot & start the shooting process at his chest (as good shooters do), as the shots starting below his waist will no longer be allowed by defenders. Some can adjust & do this, but some others struggle.

- His left hand sucks. Not a rarity for young players to be poor with their off-hand, but we can rest assured that's the case here. One of the highlight reels in this thread even includes plays made exclusively with the right hand for the first 2+ minutes, then a terribly missed left handed shot (with a right handed follow up "highlight").

- weight/physicality. While he may have experience playing against grown men, he needs to fill out & become the type of player who physically imposes on others, instead of the opposite. Easier said than done.

- Rebounding. I know it's (sadly) not something many young players focus on, but I feel for young players especially it can be indicative of their overall hustle & work ethic. Even if not ultimately collecting the rebounds, the effort of consistently going for boards not only maintains pressure on the other team, it again can be quite indicative of a players overall knowledge of the game & commitment to consistently hustling throughout as needed. Also it can give the team more possessions (as all Bulls/Rodman fans know very well), which of course is critical. Maybe it's past coaching strategies, but more effort on the offensive rebounds in particular is needed

- draft & stash player. I listed this as a positive too, & it is in many respects. But the Bulls aren't a contender that's capped out, so do they really need to stash players elsewhere? No, no they don't. The Bulls have room on the bench &/or in the d league for players to get more direct attention & instruction from Bulls' controlled coaching/training staff (& in theory development). In short, it doesn't make much sense for the Bulls to draft & stash players unless there is a talent assessment that says he is clearly better in the long term than anyone else who was available. & I have my doubts that's the case. Hope I am wrong though.

- seemingly could have traded back later in the 2nd round & got the same player.

In short, there are questions. Both as far as the actual player, but also the logic behind the particular pick. I know a lot of folks dismiss 2nd round picks, but I am not in that group. I believe there is value to be had, even if limited. So I will be on the lookout for commentary from the Bulls in the days to come about this pick
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,312

Post#32 » by fleet » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 am

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#33 » by PhilLeotardo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:33 am

Wow, I was NOT expecting Marko to be there @44! What a steal!! I wanted Markus Howard (BS that he didn’t get taken at all, smh), but only because I thought Marko would be gone

Marko is an eerily Joker-esque pick. He was essentially the lesser Poku of the draft. He has tremendous offensive IQ for his age. Brilliant shooting stroke & remarkable ability in the pnr/pnp. I have high hopes for him

He’s currently 6’10 & 215 lbs, which is where the question marks come in, as he’s a complete liability on D at the moment, but if he can toss on some weight & get into Donovan’s system ASAP, he could be a valuable piece

I really hope they don’t stash him; get him into an NBA gym ASAP; he’s ready

I just have to say, I am very very impressed with how AKEVS handled this draft. They went for SIZE & upside over everything, two things the Bulls desperately yearn for. Bravo & kudos to them. Go big or go home

Under PaxGar, this draft would’ve transpired as follows: Haliburton (who I really do like), & the selling off of #44, so that Garf could buy his douchebag kids a water slide or some sh*t
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,553

Post#34 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 am

Mega Bemax, the team Marko currently plays for produced multiple NBA bigs in Nikola Jokic, Gaga Bitasze and Zubac.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,125

Post#35 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:28 am

kulaz3000 wrote:The tweet about him not joining us next season (clearly, as he is like a stash player), but the part of him possibly not EVER coming over, is a little concerning.

we talk about “is Chicago a top tier destination for free agents?” and the answer is maybe not, but I firmly believe it’s a desirable place for a late second round eastern european draft n stash prospect.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#36 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am

He is promising young guy.. Good skills & hands, very good on offense, 3pt shooter as well, moves well, but he lacks some wingspan, weight and he needs work on defense. But overall I like him, saw him a lot in ABA league.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#37 » by PhilLeotardo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:The tweet about him not joining us next season (clearly, as he is like a stash player), but the part of him possibly not EVER coming over, is a little concerning.

we talk about “is Chicago a top tier destination for free agents?” and the answer is maybe not, but I firmly believe it’s a desirable place for a late second round eastern european draft n stash prospect.

That person was referring to the virus....lol

Off topic, but no one wanted to work for Chicago because the f**king locker rooms/training facilities/hallways were bugged by some maniacal nut, & the various team presidents under Jerry had penchants for racism & violence, for crying out loud. Why is this still even brought up? Move on lol, it’s over now
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 463

Post#38 » by chitowndish » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 am

I like that his team was called Mega Soccerbet that must be a fun team to cheer for. He seemed like a really interesting skillset with that size and he does seem pretty fluid. I'm kind of concerned that his first video at least had him missing a lot of post shots but the 215 weight makes a lot of sense there he's probably too easy to push around but I'm just glad to see a big guy try to score in the post at this point. Looks like he has nice hands and finishing ability driving toward the basket and a good outside shot. If he can't defend that always worries me with a C but he could be a really nice versatile bench big to give a different look.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#39 » by ZOMG » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am

He looks almost exactly like a considerably less athletic Lauri Markkanen with even worse finishing in the low post. Just a pick and pop dude in the NBA.

Meh.

Return to Chicago Bulls