ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread #4

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#141 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
SeattleMack wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.

14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.

He showed zero ability to make a play for anyone else, that's what I mean by blackhole. Ball enters his hands, it doesn't leave it unless it's a turnover or a shot. Fine, if he shoots 40% that's great. His shot looks good. Can he get to the rim or beat anyone off the dribble? He's long and tall, but doesn't impress me with his athleticism. People want the next Duncan Robinson, but if Duncan Robinson only shot 40% from 3 he wouldn't even be in the league. Hope I'm wrong.

He is not a shot creator, but that was not his role, his role was to move and shoot and his movement created scoring opportunities for others without him even touching the ball, but he does need to improve as a passer, but that was true of both Tatum and Brown coming out.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#142 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 am

Pretty happy with Nesmith and Pritchard. Don’t give a damn about 2nd round tbh.

I think Romeo is almost being forgotten. If healthy, which is the issue, he can definitely be a contributor in the rotation and is a nice complement on the wing to Nesmith.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#143 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:52 am

As someone who has zero interest or knowledge in college basketball, I always find draft time on the board a little ridiculous. People get so intense about players picked, players not picked, players picked too high, too low etc. A large number of the players that get thrown around you never hear from again after the draft.

60 players get drafted each year, of which I would say something like 75% never turn into anything (many never even making a roster), another 20% might end up being serviceable role players at best, and maybe 5% turn into something meaningful for a franchise.

The lottery isn't the ping pong balls, the lottery is the draft. Hopefully your team gets a player in the 25% more often than not.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Post#144 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:53 am

'Black-hole' is harsh, I think. If he does his work before he catches, and doesn't have the ball overly long in his hands, I'm happy for him to fire away.

It's Brad's job to then use that weapon. It leaves the ball in Tatum's hands, Kemba's hands, Jaylens hands, Gordon's hands...

Last thing we need is an ISO guy who wants to create his own shot. Space and low usage is what he can bring if it works, and enough D to not be a target.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,674

Post#145 » by Celtic Esquire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 am

You know who can’t create their own shots either? Herro and D. Robinson and we saw what they can do when surrounded by creators.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#146 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 am

Celtic Esquire wrote:You know who can’t create their own shots either? Herro and D. Robinson and we saw what they can do when surrounded by creators.

Robinson yes but Herro was great at creating his own shot. That’s literally the biggest appeal with him is that he isn’t just a spot up shooter lol. He was getting hyped in the playoffs because of his amazing shot creation ability, specifically with his 37 pt game vs Boston.

The hope is that Nesmith can be a Robinson or Redick type shooter coming off screens and just hitting corner threes. I’m optimistic he will be able to do so
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,071

Post#147 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 am

All i want to know is who did Hinton murder?! No excuse for one team not to take him in the second round! I don’t get it! I may be a poor evaluator of talent so there’s that. :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#148 » by captain green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 am

After listening to ainge I'm even more upset. Nesmith is a stud so not a bad draft but wasted draft yep didn't capitalize on building around Tatum. Only 48 minutes at pg mother ****.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,071

Post#149 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

captain green wrote:After listening to ainge I'm even more upset. Nesmith is a stud so not a bad draft but wasted draft yep didn't capitalize on building around Tatum. Only 48 minutes at pg mother ****.

Only 48 minutes at PG and we only have kemba there. Wana is likely done even though he did his job well enough. I want to see some Waters but CBS and nem know how to get good out of PGs and I don't know if they are feeling him like I am. If we don't make a move for a backup vet PG, Payton will get a shot early with the way they speak about kemba. Just going to hope for the best.

FFS I watched so much video and Payton was not mentioned in the draft thread IIRC, so he wasn't a part of that. I wanted a lot of guys who were there. Gotta give my spirit time to heal before I really get into this selection. I knew I shoulda kept myself out of draft things, but NO I let myself be suckered in! Now I'm hurt dawg.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#150 » by captain green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:55 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
captain green wrote:After listening to ainge I'm even more upset. Nesmith is a stud so not a bad draft but wasted draft yep didn't capitalize on building around Tatum. Only 48 minutes at pg mother ****.

Only 48 minutes at PG and we only have kemba there. Wana is likely done even though he did his job well enough. I want to see some Waters but CBS and nem know how to get good out of PGs and I don't know if they are feeling him like I am. If we don't make a move for a backup vet PG, Payton will get a shot early with the way they speak about kemba. Just going to hope for the best.

FFS I watched so much video and Payton was not mentioned in the draft thread IIRC, so he wasn't a part of that. I wanted a lot of guys who were there. Gotta give my spirit time to heal before I really get into this selection. I knew I shoulda kept myself out of draft things, but NO I let myself be suckered in! Now I'm hurt dawg.
virtual hug sent
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#151 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am

Shak_Celts wrote:

Wannamaker will probably get more than what we're willing to offer, imo. He was rock solid this year and looked improved and confident.

As for Waters, he's super solid, but very small. I thought he has potential as a back-up, but this pick might suggest that he doesn't.

I legit didn't do any research on the prospects this year. With the Covid and all, I thought it was a strange draft to begin with.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#152 » by Higgs Boston » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am

if we combined nesmith, pritchard, madar, langford, grant, edwards and waters in a package we would get a player equal or better than Herro?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#153 » by snowman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm

My thoughts on the draft:

1) I loved the Aaron Nesmith pick. He is exactly what we needed as a shooter. I wanted Saddiq Bey before the draft, because I thought Nesmith would be long gone by the 14th. Nesmith is great coming off screens and pops, or just hitting wide open shots. He was coached by Jerry Stackhouse in school, and put in situations to be the "sniper" that we all wished we had in the playoffs. He is going to get a lot of wide open looks with the way Tatum, Kemba and Brown drive and kick, and if the other team starts doubling Kemba to get the ball out of his hands like in the playoffs, now we have an answer. He will be part of our zone buster lineup.
Grade A+

2) I have to admit that when we picked Payton Pritchard I said out loud, "Who is that". With him coming from Oregon, I realized why I never heard of him. Looking over his stats and bio, I believe it was a good pick. Even ESPN calls him "One of the best players in college basketball". He is 6'2 and 208 lbs, ( remember Waters is only 5'10, 175, and Edwards is 5'11, 200) so he won't get pushed around by other PG or most SG's for that matter. (example, Isaiah Joe is 6'5, but only 167 lbs, and Wannamaker is 6'3, 210 lbs) He is a great long distance shooter, and can bomb away from 30 feet with consistency. Learning under Kemba for 3 years will really help his court vision. He can shoot better then Edwards, and is a MUCH better defender than Edwards and Waters combined.
Grade A-

3) Trading pick 30 for 2 seconds was expected. That doesn't mean I liked it. I would have rather had Bane, whom we picked and sent to Memphis. You can not tell me that Green, Semi, Waters, Edwards, Poirier and Wannamaker are ALL better than who we could have gotten at 30. I know 2 of them are gone to make room for Nesmith and Pritchard, but a third could be moved just as easily. There was some talk that Poirier was included with this, and if this is the case, I like it much better. Most 2nd round picks never make the team, but with that being said, we currently have 8 guys (not counting the ones drafted last night) on the 17 man squad that were 2nd round picks or never drafted at all. That in it's self tells you about our roster last year.
Grade C-
Grade B (if Poirier was attached)

4) 6'2 from Israel PG. That's it. That all I know about him. Really a waste of a pick, in my mind. Going to be 2-3 years before he grows up enough (fills out) to even think of coming to the NBA. We will probably never see him. I would have gone with KIllian Tillie, or really anyone else over 6'6. I just realized that Danny has not drafted anyone over 6'6 in the last 2 drafts, total. What a sad thing.
Grade F
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#154 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Boston drafting Nesmith & Pritchard signals something pretty important to me. It signals that Ainge/Stevens truly believe that Jayson Tatum is on the verge of Superstardom. Like a Top 7 level star. For the first time in a long, long time Ainge drafted for fit. He drafted for need. That has NOT been his strategy in the past, reason being because he was trying to rebuild and you rebuild by acquiring picks, drafting the best available player, and pushing forward. So for Ainge to draft Nesmith is clearly says to us all that they have identified what held Boston back from winning a championship last year (shootin, bench depth, center upgrade) and addressed some of that last night.
Nesmith is ready to step right in on day 1 and play a role on this team. The kid is an outstanding shooter. Pritchard will have to earn his role, but he's a gym rat that loves to hoop and will quickly earn the respect of our stars by diving on the floor, making the right play, making a big shot and showing a little emotion.
I fully expect Boston to now focus on upgrading the Center position and adding a veteran free agent that can shore up the bench.

Let's go!!!!!
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#155 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

ddb wrote:Boston drafting Nesmith & Pritchard signals something pretty important to me. It signals that Ainge/Stevens truly believe that Jayson Tatum is on the verge of Superstardom. Like a Top 7 level star. For the first time in a long, long time Ainge drafted for fit. He drafted for need. That has NOT been his strategy in the past, reason being because he was trying to rebuild and you rebuild by acquiring picks, drafting the best available player, and pushing forward. So for Ainge to draft Nesmith is clearly says to us all that they have identified what held Boston back from winning a championship last year (shootin, bench depth, center upgrade) and addressed some of that last night.
Nesmith is ready to step right in on day 1 and play a role on this team. The kid is an outstanding shooter. Pritchard will have to earn his role, but he's a gym rat that loves to hoop and will quickly earn the respect of our stars by diving on the floor, making the right play, making a big shot and showing a little emotion.
I fully expect Boston to now focus on upgrading the Center position and adding a veteran free agent that can shore up the bench.

Let's go!!!!!

Nesmith next to Tatum and Brown can take so much pressure off on double teams b/c he's such a good shooter.

Also ddb, have you heard anything on Hayward? Thanks
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#156 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm

It was a nothing draft and we drafted nothing prospects.

It takes a lot more than shooting to make it in the NBA as you have to be able to constantly locate and relocate which requires you to have an endless motor... and oh yeah... actually be healthy. Nesmith is a random swing which kind of sums up the 2020 draft in general outside the top 12.

Point blank, Ainge needs 3 of: Nesmith, Edwards, Romeo, Green, Pritchard, Yam to hit.

We can't keep drating complete busts. And 2 of those players are high draft picks that we won't see again for another 4-7 years. This was Ainge's last chance. If not then we'll let him go when Tatum leaves due to not having enough support around him on a team he's carrying to the 4-6th seed treadmill every year and wishing he was a Laker.
ddb
RealGM

Post#157 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
ddb wrote:Boston drafting Nesmith & Pritchard signals something pretty important to me. It signals that Ainge/Stevens truly believe that Jayson Tatum is on the verge of Superstardom. Like a Top 7 level star. For the first time in a long, long time Ainge drafted for fit. He drafted for need. That has NOT been his strategy in the past, reason being because he was trying to rebuild and you rebuild by acquiring picks, drafting the best available player, and pushing forward. So for Ainge to draft Nesmith is clearly says to us all that they have identified what held Boston back from winning a championship last year (shootin, bench depth, center upgrade) and addressed some of that last night.

Let's go!!!!!

Nesmith next to Tatum and Brown can take so much pressure off on double teams b/c he's such a good shooter.

Also ddb, have you heard anything on Hayward? Thanks

No I haven't. But certainly seems like they are working together on a trade to get him to Indy.
ddb
RealGM

Post#158 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:It was a nothing draft and we drafted nothing prospects.

It takes a lot more than shooting to make it in the NBA as you have to be able to constantly locate and relocate which requires you to have an endless motor... and oh yeah... actually be healthy. Nesmith is a random swing which kind of sums up the 2020 draft in general outside the top 12.

Point blank, Ainge needs 3 of: Nesmith, Edwards, Romeo, Green, Pritchard, Yam to hit.

We can't keep drating complete busts. And 2 of those players are high draft picks that we won't see again for another 4-7 years. This was Ainge's last chance. If not then we'll let him go when Tatum leaves due to not having enough support around him on a team he's carrying to the 4-6th seed treadmill every year and wishing he was a Laker.

Now I don't expect all the young guys to have regular roles in the rotation, but when you look big picture it's starting to all shape up in terms of skill sets. What is Romeo? Well, he projects to be a good defender that can give you secondary ball handling and scoring. He has a good handle. His weakness is outside shooting, his strength is scoring through contact, getting to the free throw line, rebounding for his position, and defense. So you slot him in between Pritchard & Nesmith who can both shoot it well. Nesmith is going to defend as well. Pritchard is a dog at PG. Grant Williams at the 4....He can defends, plays with a High IQ. Good passer, developing 3pt game. and then you have your long athletic big in RWill who blocks shots, rim rolls, etc.
Pritch-Romeo-Nesmith-Williams-Williams.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,651

Post#159 » by Green89 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:59 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Just like when we had RJ Hunter and James Young!

GM BEANS
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#160 » by GM BEANS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:As someone who has zero interest or knowledge in college basketball, I always find draft time on the board a little ridiculous. People get so intense about players picked, players not picked, players picked too high, too low etc. A large number of the players that get thrown around you never hear from again after the draft.

60 players get drafted each year, of which I would say something like 75% never turn into anything (many never even making a roster), another 20% might end up being serviceable role players at best, and maybe 5% turn into something meaningful for a franchise.

The lottery isn't the ping pong balls, the lottery is the draft. Hopefully your team gets a player in the 25% more often than not.

Each team has a scouting department. Some are better then others . You’re leaving that part out. You might not learn much after one draft but if you follow a teams draft each year you tend to base an opinion on whether or not the scouting department is any good or not. It’s not like every team is using the same staff. Fact is some teams are a lot better at drafting then others.

Return to Boston Celtics