Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

2020 Draft winners / losers 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:12 am

post your thoughts here

i still have to review all the trades and pick ups, but off the top of my head Dallas and the Spurs are up there as winners.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Re: 2020 Draft winners / losers 

Post#2 » by eminence » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:29 am

Utah - Azubuike and Hughes

Do not have us as winners at first glance. I kinda like Udoka and think he really could be solid, but a weird fit for us, hope he's ready to go on the bench at least since we shipped out Bradley. Hughes doesn't seem like a guy who sticks longterm in the league.
I bought a boat.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#3 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:33 am

Sac - Halliburton by himself would have us as an A.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#4 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:06 am

eminence wrote:Utah - Azubuike and Hughes

Do not have us as winners at first glance. I kinda like Udoka and think he really could be solid, but a weird fit for us, hope he's ready to go on the bench at least since we shipped out Bradley. Hughes doesn't seem like a guy who sticks longterm in the league.

The Jazz did what they wanted to do. They had Udoka high on their board. They liked Hughes. They wanted Bradley off their payroll.

So that was their goal.

They ultimately passed on Hampton, McDaniels, Bolmaro, Bey and others to get pieces that fit with their current roster.

Now they'll target a couple guys in free agency.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#5 » by eminence » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:14 am

Catchall wrote:

The Jazz did what they wanted to do. They had Udoka high on their board. They liked Hughes. They wanted Bradley off their payroll.

So that was their goal.

They ultimately passed on Hampton, McDaniels, Bolmaro, Bey and others to get pieces that fit with their current roster.

Now they'll target a couple guys in free agency.

Seems dumb to me to have that as the goal. We came in with #23, we can set our goals a little higher than landing an 8th man.

Knicks also made us look pretty dumb trading our pick we'd just traded to them for two better picks than what they gave us.

It's a D type of night for Utah.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 am

Utah should have gone with RJ, Bey or Bolmaro

if they wanted Udoka I feel like they could've had him in the 2nd, but you never know what the intel was on him and how high other teams had him
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 am

The Nuggets for getting RJ Hampton to learn from Murray. I think Lamelo was the top player to get so the Hornets did well. The Kings have to be up there with Haliburton at 12. Ramsey and Woodard are good too. I also really like the Warriors' draft. Wiseman probably should have went number 1, due to how rare he is as a prospect in terms of skillset. Mannion was criminally slept on like Hampton in this draft.

Kings A
Warriors A+
Hornets A-
Nuggets A+
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#8 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 am

I absolutely hate what the Jazz did in this draft. I think we are wasting picks and treading water. And the worst thing - we are not learning - you just had to give up a good second in order to dump the previous 90s type center who you drafted to backup Rudy. ANd now 3 years after the previous bust at center you drafted... you do the exact same thing. WTF? Just horrible.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 am

jman3134 wrote:The Nuggets for getting RJ Hampton to learn from Murray. I think Lamelo was the top player to get so the Hornets did well. The Kings have to be up there with Haliburton at 12. Ramsey and Woodard are good too. I also really like the Warriors' draft. Wiseman probably should have went number 1, due to how rare he is as a prospect in terms of skillset. Mannion was criminally slept on like Hampton in this draft.

Kings A
Warriors A+
Hornets A-
Nuggets A+

RJ was a stupid good steal for Denver, they did it again after taking Bol last year, a lot of GMs are gonna regret this one

also agreed on Nico on the Warriors, this is a great pick/fit, probably my favorite Myers pick in years.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am

Denver nabbing Josh Green and Tyrell Terry in the 2nd, and then trading for Josh Richardson and Tyler Bey is my clear winner tonight...massive draft
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#11 » by karkinos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:21 am

love the picks from the knicks (toppin, quickley) and hornets (ball, richards, riller)
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#12 » by Rookie-Mistake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:32 am

Golden State.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#13 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:05 am

there were a lot of trades so I'm not entirely sure who got what but I'll do my best:

ATL-B
seemingly set with young players from 1-4, getting a young defensive big (Okongwu) was huge. There were better players left on the board than Mays who they took in the 2nd.

BOS-B
Nesmith and Pritchard are both A picks. Trading #30 for two future 2nds with Woodard and Bey still on the board was stupid. Taking draft and stash at #47 (Madar) while better players were still on the board was bad

BK-D+
in a deep draft and with several 3 and D wings available plus shooters, trading out of their pick was dumb as better players than Shamet were available. I've long liked Sean Marks but this is not one of his better decision. Perry in the late 2nd was good value.

CHA-B
Ball was a great pick. Carey was good value and Riller should be a valuable backup

CHI-C-
Williams was a major reach as was Simonovic in the 2nd.

CLE-B-
Okoro was a reach but they do badly need a defensive wing

DAL-A-
Green was a reach, Terry was good value and Bey was a major steal

DEN-B+
they landed badly needed PG and C help

DET-C+
Hayes is vastly overrated and was a major reach. Stewart was also taken maybe 20 picks too high. Bey is great value but also overrated

GS-B-
Wiseman was the right choice. Trading the pick in the 2nd was dumb. Mannion was good value. Jessup a wasted pick

HOU-D
awful. This franchise is doomed

IND-A
Getting Stanley, arguably a mid 1st round talent, that late in the 2nd is a major steal

LAC-A
traded for Kennard and got great value with Oturu and Scrubb in the 2nd

LAL-N/A

MEM-D+
not crazy about Bane with so many better player still on the board and like the Tillman pick even less

MIA-A
Getting more size and athleticism this late was a substantial steal

MIL-D
got a couple of shooters that will likely never see the floor because they offer nothing else

MIN-A
they got a dynamic scorer in Edwards and a nice developmental big in Pokusevski

NOP-D
trading picks away and reaching on Lewis does not make for a successful draft night in a pivotal draft for this franchise. Yikes

NY-D+
hated the Toppin pick. Like Quickley but there were better players still on the board.

OKC-B
like the Pokusevski, Maledon and Krecji picks because they'll be afforded the time to develop with lower expectations.

ORL-D+
Major reach for Cole Anthony considering what was still on the board. This franchise will remain terrible

PHI-C-
Maxey was a major reach, maybe a round too high, Reed was a major steal and Joe is nice depth

PHO-C
pretty big reach and not a position of need

POR-D
there were better players still on the board with their 2nd rounder.

SAS-B+
this has to mean Walker is a bust. Jones as a backup PG is great value

SAC-B
not quite sure why they're taking another PG but he's great. Ramsey is decent value

TOR-C-
Flynn is overrated like who he's replacing VanVleet

UT-B+
When Gobert goes off the floor the team implodes. Azubuike will prevent that from happening and take over for him should they move him.

WA-B+
they badly needed BBIQ and playmaking and got it
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#14 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 am

Might be me being from Europe but OKC somehow getting both of Poku and Maledon seems like a huge win for them.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#15 » by King Ken » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 am

I really like the Hawks draft.
As for other teams: Hornets, Sixers, Mavs, and Kings impressed.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#16 » by sacking123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:42 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:there were a lot of trades so I'm not entirely sure who got what but I'll do my best:

ATL-B
seemingly set with young players from 1-4, getting a young defensive big (Okongwu) was huge. There were better players left on the board than Mays who they took in the 2nd.

BOS-B
Nesmith and Pritchard are both A picks. Trading #30 for two future 2nds with Woodard and Bey still on the board was stupid. Taking draft and stash at #47 (Madar) while better players were still on the board was bad

BK-D+
in a deep draft and with several 3 and D wings available plus shooters, trading out of their pick was dumb as better players than Shamet were available. I've long liked Sean Marks but this is not one of his better decision. Perry in the late 2nd was good value.

CHA-B
Ball was a great pick. Carey was good value and Riller should be a valuable backup

CHI-C-
Williams was a major reach as was Simonovic in the 2nd.

CLE-B-
Okoro was a reach but they do badly need a defensive wing

DAL-A-
Green was a reach, Terry was good value and Bey was a major steal

DEN-B+
they landed badly needed PG and C help

DET-C+
Hayes is vastly overrated and was a major reach. Stewart was also taken maybe 20 picks too high. Bey is great value but also overrated

GS-B-
Wiseman was the right choice. Trading the pick in the 2nd was dumb. Mannion was good value. Jessup a wasted pick

HOU-D
awful. This franchise is doomed

IND-A
Getting Stanley, arguably a mid 1st round talent, that late in the 2nd is a major steal

LAC-A
traded for Kennard and got great value with Oturu and Scrubb in the 2nd

LAL-N/A

MEM-D+
not crazy about Bane with so many better player still on the board and like the Tillman pick even less

MIA-A
Getting more size and athleticism this late was a substantial steal

MIL-D
got a couple of shooters that will likely never see the floor because they offer nothing else

MIN-A
they got a dynamic scorer in Edwards and a nice developmental big in Pokusevski

NOP-D
trading picks away and reaching on Lewis does not make for a successful draft night in a pivotal draft for this franchise. Yikes

NY-D+
hated the Toppin pick. Like Quickley but there were better players still on the board.

OKC-B
like the Pokusevski, Maledon and Krecji picks because they'll be afforded the time to develop with lower expectations.

ORL-D+
Major reach for Cole Anthony considering what was still on the board. This franchise will remain terrible

PHI-C-
Maxey was a major reach, maybe a round too high, Reed was a major steal and Joe is nice depth

PHO-C
pretty big reach and not a position of need

POR-D
there were better players still on the board with their 2nd rounder.

SAS-B+
this has to mean Walker is a bust. Jones as a backup PG is great value

SAC-B
not quite sure why they're taking another PG but he's great. Ramsey is decent value

TOR-C-
Flynn is overrated like who he's replacing VanVleet

UT-B+
When Gobert goes off the floor the team implodes. Azubuike will prevent that from happening and take over for him should they move him.

WA-B+
they badly needed BBIQ and playmaking and got it

Curious as to why Sac is a B? You do realise Haliburton is one player in this draft you can put in any system and play him as the 1 or next to a 1? He doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective and actually fits like a glove with Fox.
Not to mention getting him at 12 should be considered the steal of the draft.
I think perhaps you looked at PG and made your decision.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#17 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 am

Utah did terribly, Hughes is fine but Dok is a disaster of a pick
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:55 am

to me

ATL; C
BOS; F
BKN; A
CHA; A-
CHI; C
CLE; C+
DAL; A-
DEN; C+
DET; B
GS; D
HOU; C+
IND; D
LAC; B
MEM; A
MIA; C
MIL; B+
MIN; D
NOLA; B
NY; B+
OKC; B+
ORL; B
PHI; B+
PHX; F
POR; B
SAC; B
SA; A
TOR; A
UTA; F
WAS; A-
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#19 » by LSandersBong » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 am

Yeah so weird to have the Kings as the Winners of the draft Ramsey and Haliburton both great value picks
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#20 » by EMG518 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 am

Pistons hands down, Hayes, Stewart, and Bey.

Return to NBA Draft