ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ILC
Starter
And1: 1,899

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#561 » by ILC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 am

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
ILC wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nothing like an NBA offseason man. I get excited over the smallest deals for the most obscure teams. Immediately fire up 2K, start playing around, putting pieces together.

I still remember that summer Love randomly visited Boston and went to a Red Sox game lmao

This has only been floated in passing convo as a "what if" we dump kemba for something not another point guard, nothing serious whatsoever.

You're talking about Rondo and Boston reunion nothing serious or dumping Kemba nothing serious?
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#562 » by playa-hater » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:14 am

This message board has way more Boston Fans in one place that I know. But having said that is there anyone that can actually convinced me that Danny ainge knows what hes doing when it comes to drafting? I personally feel so sick at the moment and I don't even hate Danny. but I just can't defend him his logic and draft picks and is constantly picking small guards any more. I think he blew this draft just like I thought he blew last year and the year before period sorry to be a hater on my name is play a hater, should change it to Danny hater
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#563 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 am

We still have these three going into the season... :)

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#564 » by ParticleMan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

playa-hater wrote:This message board has way more Boston Fans in one place that I know. But having said that is there anyone that can actually convinced me that Danny ainge knows what hes doing when it comes to drafting? I personally feel so sick at the moment and I don't even hate Danny. but I just can't defend him his logic and draft picks and is constantly picking small guards any more. I think he blew this draft just like I thought he blew last year and the year before period sorry to be a hater on my name is play a hater, should change it to Danny hater

calling nesmith and pritchard "small guards" really missed the point of those picks completely.

did you see what tyler herro did to us last year? and did you see how, when miami went to a zone, we got totally flummoxed and got steamrolled in the 4th? well, other teams saw it too. until we fix that, it's going to come back at us again and again. and you know what works best against zones?

shooting.

nesmith and pritchard are the two best zone-busters in this draft. they are elite shooters. outside of tatum, we have nobody else on this team that really even comes close to qualifying as an elite shooter. nobody.

i don't know where i saw this, but our team is one of the best in the L at getting open shots. that's a testament to brad's ball movement offense. unfortunately, they are also well below average in shooting % on open shots. that's why we need shooters, badly. honestly, even more than we need a big, with theis being surprisingly competent and timelord coming on.

so that's ainge's thinking here. it makes perfect sense. this is why the consensus is that nesmith was a great pick. pritchard, we'll see, he has less physical gifts. but he was also a 26th pick, so you take what you can get. hell even yam is a good shooter, even though we probably won't see him for a couple of years.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#565 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm

When does free agency begin again?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#566 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Based on the moves to date, here's my current predictions for playoff teams in the Eastern and Western Conferences:

EASTERN
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Indiana
7. Toronto
8. Orlando/Washington/Atlanta?

WESTERN
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Golden State
5. Dallas
6. Phoenix
7. Portland
8. Houston/Utah/New Orleans?
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#567 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm

KGboss wrote:When does free agency begin again?

Tomorrow!

Does anybody know the deadline for Enes Kanter to opt-in for next year? How about the deadline for the Celtics to pick up Semi's team option for next year?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#568 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Scoonie wrote:

Tomorrow!

Does anybody know the deadline for Enes Kanter to opt-in for next year? How about the deadline for the Celtics to pick up Semi's team option for next year?

Free Agency starts November 20, 6PM EST but players can't officially sign until November 22, 12PM EST.

Decisions on options for Semi and Kanter should be known by 5PM EST today.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#569 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Based on the moves to date, here's my current predictions for playoff teams in the Eastern and Western Conferences:

EASTERN
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Indiana
7. Toronto
8. Orlando/Washington/Atlanta?

WESTERN
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Golden State
5. Dallas
6. Phoenix
7. Portland
8. Houston/Utah/New Orleans?

East is going to be a barfight!
KGboss
RealGM

Post#570 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Scoonie wrote:

Tomorrow!

Like midnight tonight?

KGboss
RealGM

Post#571 » by KGboss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Scoonie wrote:

Tomorrow!

Free Agency starts November 20, 6PM EST but players can't officially sign until November 22, 12PM EST.

Decisions on options for Semi and Kanter should be known by 5PM EST today.
Thank you

snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#572 » by snowman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Loved the Nesmith pick. I wanted Saddiq Bey all along only because I never though Nesmith would be available to us at 14. Maybe not this year, but I can see Nesmith starting along side Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Theis. This all depends on what happens with Hayward. His shooting alone will open up so much for Tatum and Brown and Kemba to drive to the hoop, be it starting or off the bench. At 6'6, he has great metrics for a switchable defender like Brad like to run. Now he just needs to commit to doing it. He may never be a plus defender, but I don't think he will be a minus defender either.

Now that I have had time to look at some of the Pritchard film, I see a tough minded, ready to step in at the beginning of the season player. I believe this is who will be on back up point guard this season, replacing Wannamaker and Waters will have to be 3rd team. The only thing keeping Pritchard out of the rotation is learning Brad's system. I also believe that Waters may start the season as 2nd team, but only because he knows the system. I can also see Pritchard being Kemba's eventual replacement in a few years.

Now we just need to figure out the Hayward situation, and what we get in return. If it's nothing but a TPE, then at least we know what we have to work with. Same with Kanter, but to a much lesser degree.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#573 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm

snowman wrote:Loved the Nesmith pick. I wanted Saddiq Bey all along only because I never though Nesmith would be available to us at 14. Maybe not this year, but I can see Nesmith starting along side Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Theis. This all depends on what happens with Hayward. His shooting alone will open up so much for Tatum and Brown and Kemba to drive to the hoop, be it starting or off the bench. At 6'6, he has great metrics for a switchable defender like Brad like to run. Now he just needs to commit to doing it. He may never be a plus defender, but I don't think he will be a minus defender either.

Now that I have had time to look at some of the Pritchard film, I see a tough minded, ready to step in at the beginning of the season player. I believe this is who will be on back up point guard this season, replacing Wannamaker and Waters will have to be 3rd team. The only thing keeping Pritchard out of the rotation is learning Brad's system. I also believe that Waters may start the season as 2nd team, but only because he knows the system. I can also see Pritchard being Kemba's eventual replacement in a few years.

Now we just need to figure out the Hayward situation, and what we get in return. If it's nothing but a TPE, then at least we know what we have to work with. Same with Kanter, but to a much lesser degree.

I was targeting Nesmith at 14 and Hali if we traded up to 8 ish. This last month it seemed no way Nesmith would be there at 14, most had him 10-13, but medical rumors came out and talk of him sliding. Then rumor that OKC was trying to trade up to get him in the late teens because they thought he might slide.

All in all, i'm pretty sure whoever started those "injury" concerns made it possible for us to just sit at 14.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#574 » by Disinformation » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
snowman wrote:Loved the Nesmith pick. I wanted Saddiq Bey all along only because I never though Nesmith would be available to us at 14. Maybe not this year, but I can see Nesmith starting along side Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Theis. This all depends on what happens with Hayward. His shooting alone will open up so much for Tatum and Brown and Kemba to drive to the hoop, be it starting or off the bench. At 6'6, he has great metrics for a switchable defender like Brad like to run. Now he just needs to commit to doing it. He may never be a plus defender, but I don't think he will be a minus defender either.

I was targeting Nesmith at 14 and Hali if we traded up to 8 ish. This last month it seemed no way Nesmith would be there at 14, most had him 10-13, but medical rumors came out and talk of him sliding. Then rumor that OKC was trying to trade up to get him in the late teens because they thought he might slide.

All in all, i'm pretty sure whoever started those "injury" concerns made it possible for us to just sit at 14.

Who's the Ernie Adams of the Celtics?
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#575 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:03 pm

playa-hater wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Put me in the "I love Tacko" fan club. I really, really, really want him this year or next to get a real shot at playing!!

You already know how I feel. Call me El Presidente when it comes to the Tacko Fall Fan Club in here.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Post#576 » by Parliament10 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Put me in the "I love Tacko" fan club. I really, really, really want him this year or next to get a real shot at playing!!

You already know how I feel. Call me El Presidente when it comes to the Tacko Fall Fan Club in here.

Yeah. Tacko Fall is a great guy. He may turn out to be a pretty decent role-player, also.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#577 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 pm

I really felt the #1 need for this team was a big playmaking PG.

That said with our draft in the books of trading away the 30th pick, and picking someone who will never be in the NBA with our second rounder I think the roster has shaped up.

I was looking at it and wondering how we would find minutes for everyone, but I think this draft pretty much cements that Hayward is gone shortly. I hope for Steven Adams. But looking at the rotation now it seems like to me we'll also be losing Wannamaker (which I guess is known because he needs to get whatever $$$ he can get but still hurts our team pretty significantly).

It looks like next year we'll be running a rotation of:

Kemba/Pritchard
Smart/ Nesmith
Brown/ Romeo
Tatum / Grant
Theis / Timelord

Of course if we got Steven Adams then Timelord is kicked out of the rotation unless we're going big and get Theis minutes at PF

I'm not the biggest fan of that rotation because I think the starting lineup needs PLAYMAKING . But that is a weakness that can't be exposed in the regular season as we saw they'll let Tatum do whatever he wants in the pick in roll in the regular season. And if they're not playing tight defense Kemba will get his normal numbers too.

At the same time this is the exact starting lineup that couldn't even handle a **** basic zone in the playoffs.

But yeah idk. Young team. It would require some pretty big breakouts from either Romeo or Nesmith to bump Grant out of the rotation and slide Brown down to backup PF to make it exciting.

Which is possible. As we always knew we'd be at the mercy of Ainge actually hitting on a pick that isn't a top 10 guy for this team to be deadly.

This also kind of like... seals the fate of Carsen Edwards, Green, and Waters. Like if Ainge believed in Edwards he wouldn't have gone for the Kyle Kover clone in Nesmith because he'd get flamethrowing from Carsen. If he believed in Green or Waters... he wouldn't double dip in their positions at PG/SG as his draft picks this year.

It's kind of already admitting failure on those players. I'd like to believe it's too early to do that to Carsen Edwards, he did hit 8 threes in Summer league and sometimes players take time to develop. We just might not have the roster minutes to give him that time to develop. Waters is too small to ever realistically be a good rotation player so I'm fine giving up on him... but I still believe Carsen can easily have something to give to this or another team. He's the same age as Pritchard.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#578 » by Jammer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Adding two proven shooters was smart. Will probably take the place of Ojeleye and Wanamaker, assuming the Celtics decide not to match Wanamaker's best offer, which with the tax line not moving up by $7 million as expected is probably gonna cost them Wanamaker. The Celtics obviously wanted proven shooters who could make shots after all those blown 4th quarter leads to Miami.

Carson Edwards is expendable. He's not a point guard, and hasn't shot well enough to justify an Eddie House type job. Eddie House, to his credit, had such fast hands that he averaged 1 steal per game for every 20 minutes of action each of his 11 seasons. Also gave Eddie that lightning fast release. But Eddie got to play because he typically shut around 40% from 3, and challenged (or broke) Danny Ainge's all time Celtic record by shooting 44.4% one year.

But health will be the big thing, regardless of whether Enes Kanter opts in.

I think Kemba's knee concerns me more than Gordon Hayward, which is astonishing, given Gordon's injury record since coming to Boston. See below:

Hayward was basically healthy in Utah, although he broke a finger (his left hand 4th metacarpal in 2016 in Utah).

In 3 years in Boston, Hayward:
Dislocated left ankle
Broke left tibia
Broke left hand (collison with LaMarcus Aldridge) requiring pin and plate insertion to repair 4th metacarpal bone
Sprained right ankle (twice)
Sprained right knee
Strained his calf
Took a solid shot to the face (Doug McDermott's palm) that did not break his nose or require entry to concussion protocol
Left Foot Nerve Issue
Strained his neck

I am still more worried about losing Kemba for a good part of the season.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#579 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Celtics declined Wanamaker's QO.

Guess not surprising after the Pritchard pick, but I think it's a mistake.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Post#580 » by Parliament10 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Celtics declined Wanamaker's QO.

Guess not surprising after the Pritchard pick, but I think it's a mistake.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics