ImageImageImageImageImage

WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

finestrg
Sophomore
And1: 142

WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing??? 

Post#1 » by finestrg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 am

Here I am getting ready to go to bed happy then I have to read that we're dealing away the 33rd pick, Daniel Oturu, to the LAC for a 2023 2nd rounder??????? My god, WHY????

Let's got through it --

We get Toppin at 8 -- for all his shortcomings on defense, we catch a break with this guy slipping to us and we got one of the most exciting high end/high ceiling players in this draft. High flyer, scorer, perimeter threat too. I mean I wasn't even thinking we'd have a shot at this guy, no one did. Hometown kid too--he's from Brooklyn. So big plus here.

Then we have to get cute and take Quickley over Terry at 25. A head-scratcher for sure, but Ok I'm thinking, he can shoot, he's bigger than Terry, he can drive, draw fouls, is automatic at the line, and he's a good defender. Maybe not a pure PG/facilitator but when you think of a guy who can take care of the ball, cross the timeline make that initial pass off, then he becomes an instant perimeter threat or can drive, draw fouls and cash in at the line. So a little confusing, but I'm looking at the positives here with this pick at 25 and I'm Ok.

Then we turn 33 into Daniel Oturu and I'm ecstatic!!!!! You guys know I've been talking this dude up for months on this board. He's a 6'10" 240 lb. TRUE CENTER that put up 20/11/2.5 blocks this year in the Big Ten for Minnesota and is only scratching the surface of what he can be. I think this dude could be something close to a Al Horford/Myles Turner hybrid with his inside/outside skill package. If you need him to be a rock inside, rebound, defend the rim, do some dirty work -- he can do that. If you need him to post up and go get a bucket inside, pop from mid range, step out and hit a 3 -- he can do that too!! Perfect and I mean PERFECT backup for both Mitch and Toppin -- a guy that can play alongside either guy too! I'm thinking Mitch/Toppin/Oturu -- that's a real good trio of bigs to move forward with! And we deal him away for a 2023 2nd rounder?? WHY LEON??? We need players now and you had a good one here, a guy that fit!!! This is a guy that nbadraft.net had in their top-10 for more than half the college season, and rightly so!!!

So pissed off to read this that this draft went from a solid A-/B+ to a B for me. Praying it's not true but there's word all over the internet that we're trading this pick to the Clippers.

Anyone else scratching there head over this move?? Makes no sense, ZERO!
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Re: WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing??? 

Post#2 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 am

I had no idea who this kid was, went and watched his highlights and now I'm pissed. He looks like a stud and a great backup 4-5. His only fault looks to be he is a bit of a black hole. Don't get it at all.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:27 am

Yeah I didn’t quite get this either but on knicksfantv they were saying knicks were aiming for Carey with that pick and that once he was off the board they felt they were done with this draft.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#4 » by robillionaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 am

I remember back in the spring in the draft thread you wanted the knicks to take oturu with their 1st pick in the top 10 so I figured you wouldn't be too happy about that
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#5 » by robillionaire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

people were having a meltdown when they announced the pick because "we drafted another big" and now another one because we didn't keep said big. yall are funny
finestrg
Sophomore

Post#6 » by finestrg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:Yeah I didn’t quite get this either but on knicksfantv they were saying knicks were aiming for Carey with that pick and that once he was off the board they felt they were done with this draft.

I like this kid better than Carey myself. I think his overall skillset is better and the ceiling is higher. Mistake by Leon here -- drops this draft grade for us to a B from A-/B+. i would love to hear an explanation. No reason to deal pick/player away. he would've fit perfectly here.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#7 » by Richard4444 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

I think they think it will lack a roster spot for him.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#8 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 am

I’m not a big Wooten guy. I would have preferred keeping this pick but this means they will likely bring back Taj and give Wooten a chance at some point.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
finestrg
Sophomore

Post#9 » by finestrg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:35 am

Richard4444 wrote:I think they think it will lack a roster spot for him.

You see the value and you make room for this kid. 20/11/2.5 6'10" 240 lb bigs with his skillswet don't grow on trees. Young and cost-controlled too. Portis is gone and if they try hard enough they could find a taker for Randle. Even if they keep Gibson for one more season, you still make room for this kid. STUPID MOVE, bottom line.

Hopefully, we wake up tomorrow morning and find out we're keeping this kid. I know it's a done deal though. Beyond pissed off right now.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#10 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

We have alot of players to evaluate this year

Frank
Dsj
Iggy
Wooten
Knox
Toppin
Quickley
Mitch

We kind of have our hands full. In 3 years who knows that pick can come in handy
finestrg
Sophomore

Post#11 » by finestrg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:47 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:I’m not a big Wooten guy. I would have preferred keeping this pick but this means they will likely bring back Taj and give Wooten a chance at some point.

I think you might be right here Mase. And I agree, I'm not a big Wooten guy either -- I get that he's physical, plays hard and can block a shot, but he's very raw and limited skill-wise...I can understand the loyalty to Wooten a little bit, a guy you've been developing in Westchester, but come on Leon, recognize that Daniel Oturu > Wooten. Otruru can play both 4 and 5, Wooten can't. And not only is Otruru bigger and longer, his overall skillset and potential is far and away better than Wooten's as well. Portis is gone. And Gibson, if he even comes back, is one more year and out. Randle's not a long-term player here either -- as soon as we can find a taker where we don't have to bring back comparable or worse salary and maybe pick up a minor asset or two, this guy's gone as well. We could've used Oruru. This was a misfire by Leon and marred this draft for me. Just a completely unnecessary move that didn't need to occur. No reason to deal this kid away for nothing.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#12 » by FreeSpiritNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:49 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:We have alot of players to evaluate this year

Frank
Dsj
Iggy
Wooten
Knox
Toppin
Quickley
Mitch

We kind of have our hands full. In 3 years who knows that pick can come in handy

Thats already been done

Frank -Trash can't shot can't create
Dsj -Trash
Iggy to small - trash
Wooten -- probably trash
Knox Definitely Trash Slower than a tree no iq
Toppin -good but needs help with defense
Quickley To small
Mitch --- Im starting to dislike him. He can't shoot to save his life or has no confidence shooting which hurts us so badly on the offense end.

This team right now is the worst roster in the league. Name a worse team.

Dont forget Dolan Super trash scumbag
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer
And1: 863

Post#13 » by KnickLeDime » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:52 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:We have alot of players to evaluate this year

Frank
Dsj
Iggy
Wooten
Knox
Toppin
Quickley
Mitch

Thats already been done

Frank -Trash can't shot can't create
Dsj -Trash
Iggy to small - trash
Wooten -- probably trash
Knox Definitely Trash Slower than a tree no iq
Toppin -good but needs help with defense
Quickley To small
Mitch --- Im starting to dislike him. He can't shoot to save his life or has no confidence shooting which hurts us so badly on the offense end.

This team right now is the worst roster in the league. Name a worse team.

Dont forget Dolan Super trash scumbag
Exactly...this is a 20 win team again...there is no one to organize any of this mess.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
finestrg
Sophomore

Post#14 » by finestrg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:53 am

Funny -- I just jumped over to the Realgm Clippers board and found a thread that mentioned him -- there wasn't even a specific thread about acquiring him there. Just a few people commenting and very ho-hum before the conversation on him flamed out-- the word over there was basically ok, we got this guy, no idea about him. Trust me Clipper fans, you got a good one here. A very useful, potentially very productive big that checks off a lot of boxes. You're welcome.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,933

Post#15 » by Guano » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:00 am

can't wait until the day that we dgaf about 2nd round picks
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#16 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 am

I don't understand why wouldn't couldn't just stash him in the g-league. I also don't understand how a big this skilled and with a decent 3-ball falls to 33 at all.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#17 » by blanko » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 am

CharlesOakley wrote:I don't understand why wouldn't couldn't just stash him in the g-league. I also don't understand how a big this skilled and with a decent 3-ball falls to 33 at all.
I think guys like him will be more and more common as kids growing up shoot more 3s. Its a lateral move, dont really feel any way about it.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#18 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:50 am

I was amazed that our FO was able to turn 27 and 38 to 25 and 33 using nothing. Then messed it up by giving up 33 with a second round pick 3 years from now.
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 677

Post#19 » by ForzaMetro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 pm

If they didn’t rate Oturu (or anyone else on the board at 33) I have no problem with them trading it for a future pick. At least they didn’t sell the pick for cash.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#20 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm

ForzaMetro wrote:If they didn’t rate Oturu (or anyone else on the board at 33) I have no problem with them trading it for a future pick. At least they didn’t sell the pick for cash.

That, to me, is confusing. If their board was that small, they should have done a better job preparing for a trade and getting a better return. I think there was some talent there for the taking at the 2nd.

Return to New York Knicks