Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#1 » by Sixerscan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 am

Though he would go lotto
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:31 am

Pretty much a good PG who can shoot, drive and defend but can’t create right?

I dont know much about him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#3 » by Skates » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 am

True combo guard, gets to the rim, touch at the FT line, plays some D, well built, good length. If his three improves he can be damned valuable, never thought he would be available at 21.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 am

Kinda like Eric Bledsoe?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#5 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 am

76ciology wrote:Kinda like Eric Bledsoe?

Bledsoe is more like a little LeBron.

Maxey reminds me a bit of Jrue. A combo guard.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 am

Read on Twitter

Same tier with Cole Anthony
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#7 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 am

I've seen two scouting reports comparing him to Donavon Mitchell HERE and HERE. Man if he is even 70% of Mitchell then we've well and truly rocked this draft.

Also a tweet [url=
Read on Twitter
]HERE[/url]
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#8 » by stormi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 am

Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#9 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 am

I’m no expert but this kid played in a 3 small guard line up most of the season and would’ve been guarded a lot by small forwards.
In the NBA he’ll be guarded by point guards and he did shoot %41 from 3 against ranked teams.
I think he’s got Donovan Mitchell written all over him and I wanted to trade up to 16 to get him.
I’m freaking stoked.
Hopefully morey doesn’t trade him.
Also this is the pick we got for Fultz so it has to have good karma and I actually believe Maxey will end up being the better player
76ciology
RealGM

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 am

Why he slide?
His numbers are bad

Why his numbers are bad?
He played on kentucky where it’s hard to really evaluate low usage high ranking HS guards who goes to play into their system.

What’s not to like?
- He’s not going to get you good assists, blks and steals numbers.
- His handles are below average for an NBA combo guard (think Shayok).
- He doesn’t have good length (explains the low deflection numbers), but he makes it up with his footspeed.

What’s to like?
- He can be a 3 level scorer, he can finish, he has a nice floater and his 3pt shooting has upside to improve
- He plays defense like Avery Bradley. Man to man, no deflections. Old school defense.
- He can get to the rim
- He can get to the line
- He can run some pick and roll (efficiency will drop fast if given high volume)

My projection:
Sounds like a rich man’s Rodney Stuckey or a rich man’s Reggie Jackson. Or maybe Shayok but with better defense.

FWIW:
A lot of people projected him to be drafted higher.
Some lottery (ben pfeifer had him top 5).
Some mid teens.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Read on Twitter
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#12 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 pm

I like him quite a bit! Is it possible that he cracks the rotation sooner than later? I don't see Donovan Mitchell, but nobody else saw Donovan Mitchell doing what he's done.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#13 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Who else was up early researching this young man? Man! What a worker....If something is broke, he'll be able to eventually fix it. Kid seems mentally tough as nails too. Only reason I can see why he wasn't a lotto pick is because he's on the shorter side of 6'3. Still, this kid is Philadelphia all day! Hand in glove fit for this team. Wow, I'm impressed just by his work ethic alone.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:11 pm

One of the better pure scorers in the draft. He can score off the dribble from all three levels and has tremendous handle. He can definitely fill a 6th man role to a fantastic degree.

My knock on Maxey is that he's a complete defensive zero and his shot selection is kinda garbage. There's some "losing player" vibes to him. Luckily for him, he landed here instead of with some lotto team. Because he screams "big production, bad team" guy. Maybe he escapes that fate to some degree now that he was drafted into a great situation. The onus is on him to play some damn defense and take less bad shots, though.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#15 » by Kolkmania » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm

So he shot <30% from three on a small sample size, but has been a consistent good free throw shooter for his age and was shooting ~34% in high school with high difficulty shots. Combine that with decent touch around the rim, good footwork and shooting mechanics... This seems like a prototypical case of underestimating someone's shooting capabilities.

In addition he has the physical build to hold up in the NBA, has proper footwork to wall off drives, apparently great work ethic and Kentucky has a history of holding back guards (in terms of production and freedom of play).

Why did he fall to 21? Must be something out there that I'm missing. Because this seems like a kid who can instantly play a role in the NBA (small wing) and grow into a bigger role gradually.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#16 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Kobblehead wrote:One of the better pure scorers in the draft. He can score off the dribble from all three levels and has tremendous handle. He can definitely fill a 6th man role to a fantastic degree.

My knock on Maxey is that he's a complete defensive zero and his shot selection is kinda garbage. There's some "losing player" vibes to him. Luckily for him, he landed here instead of with some lotto team. Because he screams "big production, bad team" guy. Maybe he escapes that fate to some degree now that he was drafted into a great situation. The onus is on him to play some damn defense and take less bad shots, though.
I thought I've been reading analysts saying he is a tough defender who hounds the on ball guy? I didn't think he was a zero!

One of my frustrations against the Kemba Walkers of the NBA is never having someone to guard the point of attack, and now it seems we have someone who can do that simply with speed/lateral quickness alone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Personally, I think that's a pretty ridiculous mischaracterization being spouted about Maxey by the so-called analysts like Jay Bilas. Maxey is pretty undeniably a terrible defensive player at Kentucky as a freshman. The only explanation I can think of as to why these network analysts made the mistake of claiming that he can defend is them foolishly conflating him with teammate Ashton Hagans (a legitimate defensive stud).
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#18 » by TTP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Personally, I think that's a pretty ridiculous mischaracterization being spouted about Maxey by the so-called analysts like Jay Bilas. Maxey is pretty undeniably a terrible defensive player at Kentucky as a freshman. The only explanation I can think of as to why these network analysts made the mistake of claiming that he can defend is them foolishly conflating him with teammate Ashton Hagans (a legitimate defensive stud).

Morey's spouting it too then because this is the first thing he said about Maxey's skills in his post-draft press conference (in response to Bodner's question ~6:20 in the video):

"I like guards that can defend multiple positions and he can do that."

Read on Twitter
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#19 » by elchengue20 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:30 pm

I heard hes good defensively.

It looks like hes talented but has to polish his shooting and overall offensive game.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#20 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Sounds like he's just trying to speak it into existence because Maxey certainly couldn't guard ANY position at the college level as a freshman. It seems like a major reach to expect him to be able to defend at the next level (let alone multiple positions at 6'3" 200 pounds).

I see no value in randomly attributing a skill to a prospect that they do not possess. Expecting Maxey to be able to defend at all, let alone being a multi-position defender seems ridiculous and unfair to the prospect, himself.

Maxey should be thought of as an offense-only scoring guard that gets buckets off the dribble because that's what he displayed in his sample size of play. That should be the expectation of him. If he's anything other than a non-sieve defensively, that should be viewed as pure icing. Not an expectation based on the evidence.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers