ImageImageImage

Jalen Smith news, highlights and other discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Jalen Smith news, highlights and other discussion 

Post#1 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:47 am

I haven't really done one of these before, So bear with me, And anyone and everyone feel free to add awesome content/ gifs/ etc. As you see fit k. :wink:

Anyways, let's Begin!

Spencer (@SKPearlman) Tweeted:
Jalen Smith is more than just a stationary C&S shooter - Maryland has shooting off pindowns, DHOs, and PnPs (where he is 16/45 on all Js, 14/42 on 3s). Though the shot has to get more consistent, there is good reason to buy the shot.

1 of 5 players 6'9+ with 7.5BLK%+ and 25 3PM. https://t.co/S9NVkeSAwd
Read on Twitter
?s=20

PhoenSTIX Suns (@Suns) Tweeted:
Nothing like being surrounded by family and friends when your name is called on #NBADraft night!

Watch the moment @thejalen_smith became a Phoenix Sun. https://t.co/qSBulb7X0E
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Maryland Basketball (@TerrapinHoops) Tweeted:
STIX TO THE VALLEY!

@thejalen_smith is selected 10th overall by the @Suns!

#NBADraft https://t.co/sEpqIuNtFr
Read on Twitter
?s=20

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/11/jalen-smith-scouting-report/

nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! 

Post#2 » by nevetsov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 am

Seems a bit redundant with Cam starting at PF and Dario backing him up. I guess Cam can play some SF and Dario some C, and you can never have too many shooters.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#3 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:58 am

Good stuff Ghost!

I like him. A guy who can space the floor and block shots is a very useful combination. I like that he got bigger and better in a year, shows a good work ethic. Excited to see him develop because he has some untapped potential if he cleans up a few things.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#4 » by Flying Colors » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 am

Seems like a good fit on paper, i’m cool with it

Welcome to Phoenix, Jalen
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#5 » by matt131 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 am

His 3 point shot looks super nice.

I think he'll be a good Baynes and Frank replacement. A big body, great in the pick and pop, but is a better rim defender due to his length and athleticism. Seems to be strictly a center.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Good stuff Ghost!

I like him. A guy who can space the floor and block shots is a very useful combination. I like that he got bigger and better in a year, shows a good work ethic. Excited to see him develop because he has some untapped potential if he cleans up a few things.

How do you compare him to your man last year, PJ Washington?
alldayeveryday
Veteran
And1: 1,148

Post#7 » by alldayeveryday » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am

JJ is drafting like his counterpart out in the East Coast. Getting Miami Heat vibes w/ our draft picks last two years with Cam and Jalen.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#8 » by phx#7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:57 am

I'm not convinced he'll be able to share the court much with Ayton, which is my biggest concern since the team seemed to do so well with Oubre or Johnson at the 4 when Ayton was on the floor.

If Ayton continues to improve on defense and Smith shows he can defend smaller 4s in space he could be the ideal front court partner.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#9 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:58 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Read on Twitter
?s=09
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#10 » by NTB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,340

Post#11 » by sunskerr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 am

I don't follow college hoops nor the draft, but from the 2 minutes of stuff I've watched in this thread he looks like he's ready to play honestly. Hopefully he's a good player for us with a long career.

Would like to know if he has quickness to defend at 4 so he can be more than just Ayton's backup in today's game ala Siakam, Christian Wood, Giannis, PJ Tucker, or Davis - those guys aren't the quickest laterally to defend the guards consistently 1 on 1 (like you get with playing Cam Johnson or Oubre at the 4) but they're quick enough to not be exploitable.

We also already really seem to like Saric at the backup 5. But if Saric is only around for a year then Smith definitely makes sense.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#12 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

How do you compare him to your man last year, PJ Washington?
PJ is a little more fluid in movement on both ends and a little more refined from an offensive skills department especially handling. Smith is a better rim protector and probably a more natural shooter although PJ isn't far behind.

phx#7 wrote:

I'm not convinced he'll be able to share the court much with Ayton, which is my biggest concern since the team seemed to do so well with Oubre or Johnson at the 4 when Ayton was on the floor.

If Ayton continues to improve on defense and Smith shows he can defend smaller 4s in space he could be the ideal front court partner.
This is completely fair and I too think Smith looks more like a 5 defensively. On O him and Ayton can play together because you can park Smith in a corner and teams have to respect him so spacing is fine. As of now he'll struggle to guard quick nba 4s.

I don't worry about this yet because frankly I think Smith is a little more of a project than people might realize and it's doubtful he's going to have a big role early. Him and Saric are actually an interesting pairing that should work.

Long term can Smith and Ayton work together for long periods of time? I'm skeptical but Smith changed so much in two years in college that it's hard to say what he looks like in a couple years of NBA level conditioning and training.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#13 » by NTB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Ayton can play like PF on defense and he is actually pretty good defending the perimeter guys as we saw when he defended Giannis, LeBron etc. It won't be full game but when Smith and Ayton plays together in stints, I am fine with it. It all depends on matchups and Jones already said this pick is important especially for those Lakers-like matchups. Feel like Jones wants to create a team that has no problem matching with any type of team.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#14 » by Golanator » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm

A comp that just popped into my head that I haven’t seen yet - Maxi Kleber

If, and it’s a big if, Smith can move like Maxi and guard like Maxi and play the 4 for 20 mins a night this is a good pick. That’s really all it comes down to. With DA here you have 35 center minutes accounted for.

Can our #10 pick play PF without getting run off the NBA floor?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#15 » by RunDogGun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" Jalen was my choice a while back. I think he brings everything we need from a front court player. He rebounds well and is a rim protector. Good kid, so he fits our culture, and he has range. Get a little meat on him, and I think he will be a solid role player.

I have been working my butt off, so I am just catching up, but why Paul? We couldn't find an older player, who is owed more than $80 million? :roll:
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#16 » by RunDogGun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:32 pm

nevetsov wrote:Seems a bit redundant with Cam starting at PF and Dario backing him up. I guess Cam can play some SF and Dario some C, and you can never have too many shooters.

If Cam could rebound and protect the rim, I could see that. I think Jalen will be coming off the bench with Saric at the 5. Then Monty will just shift wings around.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#17 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

"We identified him not only as a good player but a professional college player,” Jones said over Zoom to reporters Wednesday. “He’s extremely disciplined, regimented, he’s a tireless worker and his approach fits our approach.”

“Thought he was the best fit,” Jones said. “Checked a lot of boxes for us. We want to be athletic, we want to be long, adding length to the perimeter … his versatility to play the 4 and the 5 … switch in pick-and-roll, and more importantly, [can] attack the offensive glass. We thought he gave us an edge in our frontcourt."

When Jones and the Suns worked out Smith individually, the big man didn’t shy away from showing what he wasn’t so good at, as opposed to other prospects who in workouts showcase only their strengths/

“Jalen was one that exposed his weaknesses and [we were] able to see where he excels and where he doesn’t,” Jones said. “We came away from that excited and with some clarity knowing when he’s here with us, we can help him get better quickly.”

The appeal, of course, is through a very enticing offensive identity.

“When you look at his ball skills and his comfort level being on the perimeter, he allows us to play with two dynamic bigs in space,” Jones said of a potential Smith/Ayton pairing. “I don’t think it’ll be a problem. I’m looking forward to seeing those two guys anchoring the floor together, even if it’s for stints.”

Jones saw a 20-year-old who made major strides from his freshman to sophomore season, adding over 30 pounds to his frame with the Terrapins.

It comes back to the work rate and intangibles inside a very promising young basketball prospect.

“The speed and intensity at which he executes is something that we demand, so I think it’s a seamless fit,” Jones said.

https://arizonasports.com/
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#18 » by Biff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

nevetsov wrote:Seems a bit redundant with Cam starting at PF and Dario backing him up. I guess Cam can play some SF and Dario some C, and you can never have too many shooters.

The Stepien has him pegged as a 1 position defender (5) so he will likely be Ayton's backup. According to them, he can't cover wings in open space very well at all. If that was the case in college, I don't see him covering the even better NBA wings. This limits his upside a bit. We needed a backup for Ayton though.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#19 » by Biff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Golanator wrote:A comp that just popped into my head that I haven’t seen yet - Maxi Kleber

If, and it’s a big if, Smith can move like Maxi and guard like Maxi and play the 4 for 20 mins a night this is a good pick. That’s really all it comes down to. With DA here you have 35 center minutes accounted for.

Can our #10 pick play PF without getting run off the NBA floor?

No, he's a 5, not a PF. He's a 1 position defender and is not very capable of covering wings.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#20 » by GoodBehavior » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Looks like a better version of Thon Maker. A backup center who can shoot from downtown. I don't think he has the fluidity to guard the 4 at the next level. I don't see the Ayton/Smith combo working, even Jones said it's for "stints," implying that Smith will probably be a backup center rather than the starting pf next to Ayton.

Because of his size, he's probably a couple of years away from contributing meaningful minutes. He's skinny and center of gravity isn't ideal. Need to get much, much stronger.

I don't hate the pick. More meh. He brings energy, which this team needs after Oubre left. He brings weakside protection. His shooting should translate, and probably the chief reason why he was drafted.

Return to Phoenix Suns