ImageImageImage

Our board instant analysis (when all reactions are settled)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Our board instant analysis (when all reactions are settled) 

Post#1 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am

Nick K wrote:I give us a solid "A" for this draft. Edwards will be an all-star. Mark my words. We get Ricky back. Veteran leadership. I can see us play Towns with D'lo, Rubio, Edwards and (Layman/Hernangomez). They want to go small with ball handlers they now are set.

This should be one fun group.

Let me start a new thread where we try to keep all interesting thoughts about this draft. I put a quote of Nick K's post which is a perfect summary of my current view.

#1 - Edwards. He is a perfect fit here next to DLo and Rubio. Beasley's situation put our SG situation in limbo. I think Edwards has a better opportunity to be developed into a star in MIN than Ball and Wiseman. This team is built for such type of player, who can slash, shoot, create shot opportunities for himself. Beasley thrived in this role last season, despite being a limited ballhandler and a bit undersized for SG. Playing as designated SG in five-out system with two elite passers can completely change Edwards game. I am not concerned about his recent interviews, because he seems to tell what he thinks, and I see a 19yo kid who can be great if he grows in right environment. Grade B+.

#23 - Leandro Bolmaro. All fans who wanted us to draft LaMelo, should be pleased with this pick. Because this guy is the same type of oversized ballhandlers, his shot is not broken, his defense is solid, his motor and IQ are not questionable. He played for FC Barcelona, a European powerhouse with an excellent basketball school for young players. He has a contract with Barcelona, and might be stashed there. If he comes here he benefits from having an Argentinian connection with Pablo Prigioni, and an ex-Barcelona connection with Rubio. All three Prigioni, Rubio and Bolmaro speak Spanish (+Juancho, Rosas) all three are lead ballhandlers. Grade B.

#27 - Jaden McDaniels. A kid with the highest potential of all wings of the 2020 draft, and he is probably the highest chance of being out of NBA in two years. His shot is legit, he runs like a guard. As a person, he is a complete enigma to me. So apart from his off-court issues, motivation etc, I think the biggest challenge for him is to change his body. He is 6'10 with 7'0" wingspan at 200lbs. Gaining at least 10-15lbs of functional muscles will help him a lot, first of all in terms of confidence, consistency. He is not NBA ready anyway. I see him developing carefully during the next two seasons. Grade B.

Last but not least. We got Rubio!!!

Now Rubio comes here not as a young basketball prophet, he is a well-seasoned veteran who should help young players a lot in the locker room, on the floor as a backup PG and secondary ballhandler. Thibs broke KAT-Wiggins-Rubio trio but now Rubio has a chance to redeem himself. Once again, I love this move. We needed a veteran, we needed a decision-maker, we needed a positive locker room presence, we needed another guy who is close to KAT. Rubio is this player, this person. However, saying this I am 100% sure that Rosas can trade Rubio next season. But right now Rubio is again a MIN player.

To sum up: we drafted for pure talent and potential and we addressed two critical issues starting SG position and backup PG position. We did not get any immediate help at PF/SF, we did not draft NBA ready wing player. We just sow what we will reap in the next 3-5 years, not now. Having two elite passers is critical for young players development. Overall grade B.

Next step: we enter post-draft offseason with pending decisions about Beasley, Juancho, JMac, Martin, Evans, Spellman. We need to upgrade PF/SF position. We have MLE. So I expect us to act diligently here. Our FO is not done with moves yet.

P.S. I hope Rubio remembers that Jimmy Butler didn't want his in MIN locker room after UTA game back in October, 2017. We need a revenge!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Our board instant analysis (when all reactions are settled) 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:55 am

Rubio is fresh off his best season ever. Very glad to have him back. I would have done some things differently, but I think Rosas made good selections.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#3 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 am

younggunsmn wrote:My Grades, hmmm....

1. Edwards
C+
I was a Wiseman fan, I still think he's the better long term pick, although there is no denying Edwards' talent.
I can't watch a highlight video of Edwards without thinking, "man, that's a bad shot" several times.
I hope with NBA coaching and teammates he excels, because if he can become (a great deal more) efficient he has the talent to be a star. Downgraded a half grade because no trade down, and it really sucks to see Wiseman land with the Warriors.
Not a D because worst case for me was Ball with no trade down.

2. Rubio +25+28 for (Johnson) +17
A-
Love to see Rubio back here, love the leadership and intangibles this group sorely lacks.
Question the scheme fit and the roster balance. Going to be interesting to see what kind of rotation they craft around this.
Missed out on a few good F prospects with the trade down, Bey, Nnaji, Achuiwa, Poku.

3. 25+33 for Bolmero
F
I can only surmise NYK took our target and we made a godfather offer to get him.
It's terrible value, which bothers me the most, which I wouldn't mind so much if I thought the player was at least a for sure rotation player.
I get that Euro stats are deflated in comparison, but his shooting is awful. He spent most of his time with the B club.
He's already 20, under contract through 2023. Going to be at least 2 years before he comes over.
The size and passing look nice, but this is quite a project to be spending so much draft capital on.

There were so many 2nd round potential rotation bigs who were instant upgrades to Naz, right up to the end of the round, and we didn't get one because of this trade. That is a disappointment to me.
Not nearly as bad as passing on DeAndre Jordan twice in 08, but I still think its a missed opportunity with zero picks in next year's draft. I think we possibly missed out on a future Jeremi Grant or Montrez Harrell.
And the Clippers grab Oturu with the pick we gave the Knicks, making a rival better.

We are just keeping Evans and Spellman around as salary matching in a trade, and Nowell is unguaranteed and can be cut.
Roster space isnt an issue.
We need to go into the year with more than KAT, Naz, Vanderbilt, and potentially Juancho for 4s and 5's.

4. 28 - Jaden McDaniels
B+
Good value pick because of his potential, SF/PF tweener with length, bounce, and handling/shooting skills.
Questionable motor and needs to put on muscle.
Will need at least a couple of years of development.

I'll give them an overall grade of B-
They had a lot to work with and I don't think we maximized our assets, but we didn't completely Kahn it up either.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#4 » by Midw35t » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:17 am

Here is my analysis:

F**k Rosas.

The only thing I am partially happy about is getting Rubio back. Maybe I will actually watch a game this year just to watch the magician work.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#5 » by Battletrigger » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am

I am satisfied with the draft night, but not happy with it.

1- Edwards was my top 3 choice, he is extremely in mature but the only one in the top 3 that can be a superstar.

2-Rubio, I was never a Rubio fan but in these three years he has improve his shot and it's way better than Lamelo. The only problem is his contract.

3- Bolmaro, I cannot say much of him, my city only has LEB Oro team and Barca doesn't come here to play.

4- McDaniels, same that Bolmaro. I didn't target him so I don't know anything about him.

5- The upset is that we didn't obtain the two lottery picks or the guys we passed that were still available for the 17th pick, specially S. Bey and Achiuwa.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#6 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 am

Battletrigger wrote:I am satisfied with the draft night, but not happy with it.

1- Edwards was my top 3 choice, he is extremely in mature but the only one in the top 3 that can be a superstar.

2-Rubio, I was never a Rubio fan but in these three years he has improve his shot and it's way better than Lamelo. The only problem is his contract.

3- Bolmaro, I cannot say much of him, my city only has LEB Oro team and Barca doesn't come here to play.

4- McDaniels, same that Bolmaro. I didn't target him so I don't know anything about him.

5- The upset is that we didn't obtain the two lottery picks or the guys we passed that were still available for the 17th pick, specially S. Bey and Achiuwa.

Missing out on Sadiq hurts, but Rubio is a very good player and nothing wrong with his contract. Many people love Bolmaro and believe he will be a star. McDaniels is one of the biggest boom or bust players in the draft. I was calling for us to take him as soon as we traded back from 17. Late first round IMO he was a great selection. Swing for the fences.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 am

Midw35t wrote:Here is my analysis:

F**k Rosas.

The only thing I am partially happy about is getting Rubio back. Maybe I will actually watch a game this year just to watch the magician work.

This is why it is fair for you to be of that opinion and this critical of Rosas right now:

minimus wrote:To sum up: we drafted for pure talent and potential and we addressed two critical issues starting SG position and backup PG position. We did not get any immediate help at PF/SF, we did not draft NBA ready wing player. We just sow what we will reap in the next 3-5 y

This summer the roles of SG and backup PG were not in question for me. Guards period were not in question unless you were going to bring in another elite shooting combo guard that would at least be an imrpovement over the many guards they have. There was literally a logjam for guard minutes before and n0w again after this draft. As far as playing goes, the wrong ones look like they will be gone now. The absolutely more critical need of this team was a high efficiency shot two way defending SF. Rosas had every opportunity to draft one or two of them in this draft.
Isegrim
Ballboy
And1: 59

Post#8 » by Isegrim » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 am

Getting Ricky back home is such a lovely move.

Not only in an emotional way - just think of how shiny our young players will look while beeing showcased riding on a unicorn.

As we all know, Edwards wouldn't be the first ROY in Ricky`s vita and Okogie, Culver and (hopefully) Beasley could need some polish.

Just think of the value development our roster will/could gain/need. I'm pretty sure that Rosas is rubbing his hands while thinking of the next trading deadlines.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#9 » by shangrila » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:38 am

I'm ok with it.

Edwards is a huge gamble but, in theory, he fits our team and what the NBA has headed towards. Elite shot creators are at a premium, as proven by the latest playoffs, so getting a guy who could potentially fill that isn't a bad thing. And our offence should clean up his shot selection issues and potentially turn him in to a monster offensively. If he also buys in defensively...damn. But they're all big ifs so I hope Rosas knows what he's doing here.

Bolmaro I thought would be a target and the initial trade down all but confirmed it. The trade up kind of sucked but we all knew 4 rookies, or even 3 if he stays overseas, wasn't realistic so I'm not too down on it. Getting a 6-7 playmaker who plays hard at all times is great. If he stays overseas a few years and works on his shooting he could be a great piece for us down the line when we're hopefully a perennial playoff team.

McDaniels was someone I keyed in to early. I figured Rosas would have faith in being able to deal with someone with emotional issues given Reid had similar complaints and McDaniels fit both what we want to do offensively and defensively while also being a swing for the fences type of pick. It's a shame the G League probably won't operate because he could use the time there but if he hits his potential he's basically a young Rashard Lewis and that's a hell of a fit next to KAT.

Getting Rubio is fun. It's a shame that it costs Johnson but that's how it goes. He should do wonders for the team and hopefully they can add a few more vets. I know "the timeline" and all that but they could really use as many strong voices in that locker room now with Edwards and McDaniels there.

And also saw we picked up Hagans on a two way. That's interesting. I love his all round game, he just needs to fix his shooting. If he can he'll have a long career so taking a shot on him is a great idea.

Overall I think I'm most excited about Rubio, probably because I think he'll contribute the most to winning in the short term and god damn is that what we need. But this is still a nice draft overall, so yeah.
Midw35t
Senior

Post#10 » by Midw35t » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am

Jedzz wrote:

F**k Rosas.

This is why it is fair for you to be of that opinion and this critical of Rosas right now:

minimus wrote:To sum up: we drafted for pure talent and potential and we addressed two critical issues starting SG position and backup PG position. We did not get any immediate help at PF/SF, we did not draft NBA ready wing player. We just sow what we will reap in the next 3-5 y

This summer the roles of SG and backup PG were not in question for me. Guards period were not in question unless you were going to bring in another elite shooting combo guard that would at least be an imrpovement over the many guards they have. There was literally a logjam for guard minutes before and n0w again after this draft. As far as playing goes, the wrong ones look like they will be gone now. The absolutely more critical need of this team was a high efficiency shot two way defending SF. Rosas had every opportunity to draft one or two of them in this draft.

As it now sits, if KAT goes down we are screwed again. We will rely on Reid, Juancho, and Vanderbilt as our only bigs, I guess boneheaded McDaniels too?. Helll, that is even scary for our back ups.

But we have 80 guards, so that is cool. None of which are over 6'5.

We have one actual wing, Layman.

Every other roster spot is filled with players best suited at the 1 or 2. Russell, Rubio, Beasley (who I think is gone), JMC, Okogie, Culver, Edwards, Bolmaro (stash).
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 558

Post#11 » by TwolvesFanRome » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am

I am satisfied and I hope that Edwards becomes an All Star Player ... the comparisons are with Wade and that would be fantastic ... I think it will have an immediate impact ...

As I asked yesterday in another topic I would have chosen, if available, Achiuwa # 17 ... but obviously Gerson did not think like me ....

I'm excited for Rubio's return and from the videos I've seen J.McDaniels could prove to be a great catch!

GRADE: A
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am

shangrila wrote:I'm ok with it.

Edwards is a huge gamble but, in theory, he fits our team and what the NBA has headed towards. Elite shot creators are at a premium, as proven by the latest playoffs, so getting a guy who could potentially fill that isn't a bad thing. And our offence should clean up his shot selection issues and potentially turn him in to a monster offensively. If he also buys in defensively...damn. But they're all big ifs so I hope Rosas knows what he's doing here.

Bolmaro I thought would be a target and the initial trade down all but confirmed it. The trade up kind of sucked but we all knew 4 rookies, or even 3 if he stays overseas, wasn't realistic so I'm not too down on it. Getting a 6-7 playmaker who plays hard at all times is great. If he stays overseas a few years and works on his shooting he could be a great piece for us down the line when we're hopefully a perennial playoff team.

McDaniels was someone I keyed in to early. I figured Rosas would have faith in being able to deal with someone with emotional issues given Reid had similar complaints and McDaniels fit both what we want to do offensively and defensively while also being a swing for the fences type of pick. It's a shame the G League probably won't operate because he could use the time there but if he hits his potential he's basically a young Rashard Lewis and that's a hell of a fit next to KAT.

Getting Rubio is fun. It's a shame that it costs Johnson but that's how it goes. He should do wonders for the team and hopefully they can add a few more vets. I know "the timeline" and all that but they could really use as many strong voices in that locker room now with Edwards and McDaniels there.

And also saw we picked up Hagans on a two way. That's interesting. I love his all round game, he just needs to fix his shooting. If he can he'll have a long career so taking a shot on him is a great idea.

Overall I think I'm most excited about Rubio, probably because I think he'll contribute the most to winning in the short term and god damn is that what we need. But this is still a nice draft overall, so yeah.

I was calling for us to pick McDaniel as soon as we traded back from 17. You can imagine how pleasing it was to get him at 28. Could he bust? Certainly. Helping him meet his potential is now on our coaches.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#13 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

F**k Rosas.

You’re upset because Rosas didn’t pick your favorite prospect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Midw35t
Senior

Post#14 » by Midw35t » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:

F**k Rosas.

You’re upset because Rosas didn’t pick your favorite prospect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I am not. Rosas has plenty more invested than I do in terms of this going right. If Edwards was his team's #1, so be it. I do not necessarily agree, but I will see how it turns out. What I don't get is then using a trade to acquire another guard, drafting another project guard, and drafting a wing project. All when we are supposedly looking to re-sign two of our own guards, and already have tons of projects on the roster.

My concerns are with what he has shown to be the direction for this franchise.

I worry that he is not building the best team around the foundation, KAT.

Our owner is currently trying to sell and we just killed our cap, I wouldn't be surprised if we did not even utilize the MLE this year. Then, we will have no cap nor a draft pick next off-season either.

Glen will not think about touching the tax line while trying to negotiate with a buyer.

Moreover, we are one KAT injury away from having no big men. If Edwards is #1 on his board, fine. I trust his Intel more than any of you here. But a draft stash project and another wing project?

Rosas has not done a single thing to ensure confidence in him moving forward.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#15 » by breatnach » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 pm

I've gone back and forth on Edwards, but I think we could have done a lot worse. It was a crap year to be #1 and I assume no trade presented itself, or else we would have done that. At least we didn't **** it up Anthony Bennett style.

B

I like Rubio, I don't mind the contract, since next year it will be expiring and something makes me think Ricky will sign long-term at a discount. But honestly, I would have waited to see who was there at 17 before pulling the trigger. I was really excited for Bey.

C+

The Bolnaro situation has baffled me quite frankly. Trading up just two spots is unusual - we must have feared he'd be gone at 25 and really wanted him? Especially, since he plays at our most stacked position (SG/SF). I have to hope that Prigioni knows something that we don't, because this pick has his name all over it. I guess it's actually beneficial that he won't be coming this year, because otherwise he'd never see the floor. If he was coming this year, I think this would be an F.

D-

McDaniels was the best pick at #28. High upside, while also filling a position of need. I reckon he'll get more minutes than most players picked at the end of the first round, which will hopefully give us a chance to see if he will pan out or not.

A-

It will be really interesting to see who gets minutes in the back court. I wonder if perhaps Beasley will now be S&T for someone who fits better (PF), because we just don't have enough minutes for everyone. Yes, we could also trade Culver or Okogie, but we won't get anything good back, because of their low salaries. What could be some potential S&T targets be, assuming Malik will get something in the 10-15m range?

Overall: B-
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#16 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm

1. I don’t know who the #1 pick should be, and my opinion changes when each expert gives me new info. However, I am disappointed that Rosas didn’t select Wiseman, and dare GSW and CHA to not make a trade. This happened last year as well, when CHI clearly wanted Coby White.

2. I feel that a big factor in us not taking LaMelo Ball is that it would frustrate DeAngelo Russell. I can understand (but do not agree with) being unwilling to draft Wiseman when you have Towns, who is a top 5 center in the NBA. But Russell is perhaps the #20 PG. In general I think it’s never a good idea to pass on the Best Player Available because of fit, especially at the top of the lottery. Go for upside talent, and then it’s up to the coach to make it work.

3. I think the Rubio trade price was fair. The picks probably even each other out, and Johnson’s expiring for Rubio’s two year deal is probably close to even too. Rubio may be overpaid in Year 2 when everyone will want cap space, but he’s a better player than Johnson and can help a young team develop, by making the game easier with elite passing. I like Edwards more with Rubio here. Plus, fans want to see Rubio and the bottom line is, this is an entertainment business. Our attendance is near the bottom of the league.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#17 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:08 pm

This is an A draft for me also. Would have been A+ if we also got Oturu (or Reed or Perry) at 33 but I am over that already. Solid A , I love all three. in fact in previous thread I think I mentioned I wanted Edwards at 1, Mcdaniels at 17 and Bolmaro at 33.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#18 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Just curious....had Minnesota traded up for McDaniels and then picked Bolmaro at 28, how differently would the skeptics view this draft?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#19 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm

I can give nothing higher than a "D" and it was another disappointing showing for Rosas in the Draft. He failed to maximize the true value of our picks and the trade-back for Bolmaro, basically sacrificing an extremely valuable pick in #33, to move up two (2) spots for a guy that is a Euro stash and might've fallen to the 2nd Round anyways was absolutely BRUTAL. We now have 37 guards on the roster, no true PF, one (1) true Wing and passing on Wiseman means we're one KAT injury away from another 15 win season.

We passed on the BPA (Wiseman), drafted a guy that that has all the passion of a Wiggins sex doll and traded #17 for an aging PG on a bad contract when players like Saddiq Bey could've been taken as a long-term addition to our building foundation. I like Ricky as much as the next guy but for a team that supposedly is not trying to win now, it was an extremely poor choice even though I'll enjoy watching Rubio wear the Wolves jersey again.

McDaniels was our best choice of the entire draft and even he brings a HUGE level of immaturity, both physically and mentally, with him to this roster. He had six (6)...yes, six (6) Technical Fouls in a shortened college season which is unheard of. If he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle, he has a chance to play in this league a long time so we'll just have to sit back and see how that plays out.

I'm trying to stay positive but when I look back on what we did and the decisions Rosas made, it's pretty clear to me that Gerson has decided to tank again to retain our 2021 FRP. Even if you really love the Edwards pick, it's nearly impossible to to feel good about what happened last night if you're truly being honest with yourself as an unbiased fan.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
I'm trying to stay positive but when I look back on what we did and the decisions Rosas made, it's pretty clear to me that Gerson has decided to tank again to retain our 2021 FRP. Even if you really love the Edwards pick, it's nearly impossible to to feel good about what happened last night if you're truly being honest with yourself as an unbiased fan.

You can hate the draft, I understand, but you can't really tank to keep a pick that's top 3 protected. Even if you wanted to, that would be up to the lottery gods.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves