ImageImageImageImageImage

WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

YMMV
Ballboy
And1: 44

Re: WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing??? 

Post#21 » by YMMV » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/11/18/knicks-land-immanuel-quickley-in-2020-nba-draft-trade/

In a dizzying few, confusing minutes late in the first round, the Knicks dealt their recently obtained No. 23 pick from the Timberwolves, trading down to No. 25, at which they picked.

(The Knicks also got the Timberwolves’ 33rd pick in the trade, but moved that to the Clippers after Vernon Carey Jr. went off the board at 32 and received a 2023 second-rounder instead.

Looks like the guy Knicks wanted was off the board.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#22 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Glass half full: It was some genius Brock Aller cap thing and/or part of another trade, somehow
Glass half empty: Because the FO sucks
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#23 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 pm

YMMV wrote:https://nypost.com/2020/11/18/knicks-land-immanuel-quickley-in-2020-nba-draft-trade/

In a dizzying few, confusing minutes late in the first round, the Knicks dealt their recently obtained No. 23 pick from the Timberwolves, trading down to No. 25, at which they picked.

(The Knicks also got the Timberwolves’ 33rd pick in the trade, but moved that to the Clippers after Vernon Carey Jr. went off the board at 32 and received a 2023 second-rounder instead.

Looks like the guy Knicks wanted was off the board.

So, to me, this isn't a good look for the FO.

They are targeting ONE Guy. Glad they can pick them out. But look at the roster. So devoid of young talent. So lacking in shooting.

Look at teams like Denver. Or Atlanta. Or the Pelicans. Or Memphis. Etc. They have(had) always had young depth, particularly at guard.

The Knicks "Oh, we got our Quickly". No need to be mucking around with any young shooters or PG's that might turn out to be good for us or at least trade assets in a few years

Not a good look.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#24 » by King of Canada » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm

I think the trade makes sense - we only have so many roster spots, made the move to punt the pick, which will be a good one, until 2023. It now becomes a trade asset rather than a g-league candidate on the roster. It's fine. I would have liked to pick a few of the guards at that spot, but apparently we're looking toward FA for that.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#25 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Also, Knicks are probably thinking playing a little small at times with Toppin at 5, assuming Thibs is amenable to it. My next thought is why didn’t they target a point? But, now I’m thinking that they must be pretty confident they’ll be getting one via trade or FA.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 680

Post#26 » by ForzaMetro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
ForzaMetro wrote:If they didn’t rate Oturu (or anyone else on the board at 33) I have no problem with them trading it for a future pick. At least they didn’t sell the pick for cash.

That, to me, is confusing. If their board was that small, they should have done a better job preparing for a trade and getting a better return. I think there was some talent there for the taking at the 2nd.

Fair enough...I think the moves they made were geared around trading up to get Toppin...when they didn’t have to do so, they pivoted. I agree I would’ve liked to see more than Quickley and a future 2nd out of the 23rd pick.
BrOnXKing1
Starter
And1: 604

Post#27 » by BrOnXKing1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

finestrg wrote:Here I am getting ready to go to bed happy then I have to read that we're dealing away the 33rd pick, Daniel Oturu, to the LAC for a 2023 2nd rounder??????? My god, WHY????

Let's got through it --

We get Toppin at 8 -- for all his shortcomings on defense, we catch a break with this guy slipping to us and we got one of the most exciting high end/high ceiling players in this draft. High flyer, scorer, perimeter threat too. I mean I wasn't even thinking we'd have a shot at this guy, no one did. Hometown kid too--he's from Brooklyn. So big plus here.

Then we have to get cute and take Quickley over Terry at 25. A head-scratcher for sure, but Ok I'm thinking, he can shoot, he's bigger than Terry, he can drive, draw fouls, is automatic at the line, and he's a good defender. Maybe not a pure PG/facilitator but when you think of a guy who can take care of the ball, cross the timeline make that initial pass off, then he becomes an instant perimeter threat or can drive, draw fouls and cash in at the line. So a little confusing, but I'm looking at the positives here with this pick at 25 and I'm Ok.

Then we turn 33 into Daniel Oturu and I'm ecstatic!!!!! You guys know I've been talking this dude up for months on this board. He's a 6'10" 240 lb. TRUE CENTER that put up 20/11/2.5 blocks this year in the Big Ten for Minnesota and is only scratching the surface of what he can be. I think this dude could be something close to a Al Horford/Myles Turner hybrid with his inside/outside skill package. If you need him to be a rock inside, rebound, defend the rim, do some dirty work -- he can do that. If you need him to post up and go get a bucket inside, pop from mid range, step out and hit a 3 -- he can do that too!! Perfect and I mean PERFECT backup for both Mitch and Toppin -- a guy that can play alongside either guy too! I'm thinking Mitch/Toppin/Oturu -- that's a real good trio of bigs to move forward with! And we deal him away for a 2023 2nd rounder?? WHY LEON??? We need players now and you had a good one here, a guy that fit!!! This is a guy that nbadraft.net had in their top-10 for more than half the college season, and rightly so!!!

So pissed off to read this that this draft went from a solid A-/B+ to a B for me. Praying it's not true but there's word all over the internet that we're trading this pick to the Clippers.

Anyone else scratching there head over this move?? Makes no sense, ZERO!

I didn't know who he was, but got excited after reading about his production/skills and thought maybe we had another 2nd round steal like Mitch.

What made him slip out of the top 10 conversation? The only limitation I can see is, I don't see lateral quickness, he seems like a average athlete.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#28 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:30 pm

It was a dumb move. A team lacking in talent needs as many shots in the draft as possible.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#29 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm

BrOnXKing1 wrote:
finestrg wrote:Here I am getting ready to go to bed happy then I have to read that we're dealing away the 33rd pick, Daniel Oturu, to the LAC for a 2023 2nd rounder??????? My god, WHY????

Let's got through it --

We get Toppin at 8 -- for all his shortcomings on defense, we catch a break with this guy slipping to us and we got one of the most exciting high end/high ceiling players in this draft. High flyer, scorer, perimeter threat too. I mean I wasn't even thinking we'd have a shot at this guy, no one did. Hometown kid too--he's from Brooklyn. So big plus here.

Then we have to get cute and take Quickley over Terry at 25. A head-scratcher for sure, but Ok I'm thinking, he can shoot, he's bigger than Terry, he can drive, draw fouls, is automatic at the line, and he's a good defender. Maybe not a pure PG/facilitator but when you think of a guy who can take care of the ball, cross the timeline make that initial pass off, then he becomes an instant perimeter threat or can drive, draw fouls and cash in at the line. So a little confusing, but I'm looking at the positives here with this pick at 25 and I'm Ok.

Then we turn 33 into Daniel Oturu and I'm ecstatic!!!!! You guys know I've been talking this dude up for months on this board. He's a 6'10" 240 lb. TRUE CENTER that put up 20/11/2.5 blocks this year in the Big Ten for Minnesota and is only scratching the surface of what he can be. I think this dude could be something close to a Al Horford/Myles Turner hybrid with his inside/outside skill package. If you need him to be a rock inside, rebound, defend the rim, do some dirty work -- he can do that. If you need him to post up and go get a bucket inside, pop from mid range, step out and hit a 3 -- he can do that too!! Perfect and I mean PERFECT backup for both Mitch and Toppin -- a guy that can play alongside either guy too! I'm thinking Mitch/Toppin/Oturu -- that's a real good trio of bigs to move forward with! And we deal him away for a 2023 2nd rounder?? WHY LEON??? We need players now and you had a good one here, a guy that fit!!! This is a guy that nbadraft.net had in their top-10 for more than half the college season, and rightly so!!!

So pissed off to read this that this draft went from a solid A-/B+ to a B for me. Praying it's not true but there's word all over the internet that we're trading this pick to the Clippers.

Anyone else scratching there head over this move?? Makes no sense, ZERO!

I didn't know who he was, but got excited after reading about his production/skills and thought maybe we had another 2nd round steal like Mitch.

What made him slip out of the top 10 conversation? The only limitation I can see is, I don't see lateral quickness, he seems like a average athlete.

Doesn’t pass well. Some don’t think he will be able to defend in space well. Raw but not a fluid athlete.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#30 » by LakersSoul » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm

The FO didn’t care for Oturu. A team can have only so many young bigs. Knicks have Mitch and Obi1. Why give more minutes to a second rounder you don’t care about?

They got back a good pick back in Detroit’s second rounder in 2023.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#31 » by Esq-4 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Don't forget, this was considered a weak draft. 37 (or whatever the future pick ends up being) in a better draft might return more than 33 this draft. Plus, how many second rounders workout? Yes, I know we hit on Mitch. That said, it does seem odd on it's face.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#32 » by jermsknicks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm

LakersSoul wrote:The FO didn’t care for Oturu. A team can have only so many young bigs. Knicks have Mitch and Obi1. Why give more minutes to a second rounder you don’t care about?

They got back a good pick back in Detroit’s second rounder in 2023.

"Penny saved is a penny earned"
That pipeline from High School will be open. It won't be long b4 any of these guys get looked at to join an NBA roster:
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2023
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#33 » by DrCoach » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm

I would hav loved to balance the roster out With a 20/10 Big

But to say we got nothing is stupid
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#34 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:10 pm

This isn't even remotely as baffling as it was when the Knicks didn't ask for Jerome Robinson or Terence Mann at the trade deadline in the Mook trade. A minute later the Clippers sent Robinson to the Wizards without any compensation because they needed cap space. Both would go into this season as possible starters.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#35 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Keep in mind that the FO went into the night having already traded 38 and not expecting to draft anyone in the 2nd round. Then another deal opened up, and they evidently didn't see much of a difference in dropping from 23 to 25 and so they tried to take a shot for Carey at 33, but he ended up being off the board and they flipped it for future value.

Ultimately, we traded 27 and 38 for 25 and a future 2nd in perhaps a better draft. That's not going to really bother me much either way.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,162

Post#36 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 pm

In before the LOL 2nd round is full of busts anyway, slurp slurp FO slurp slurp real fans obey and slurp the FO bindly

Most of us don't let players get away with careless defense, lack of hustle and lack of attention...why let the FO do the same?
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#37 » by DickGrayson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm

could of used him this season because I absolutely hate seeing every big on this roster except Mitchell Robinson who plays at 70% intensity but somehow produces., 2023 seems so far from now but whatever.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,134

Post#38 » by waya » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Guano wrote:can't wait until the day that we dgaf about 2nd round picks

When one of the two players on our roster with any value was a 2nd round pick, I think it's reasonable to be annoyed we didnt try to strike gold again with this one
NotDikembeSayNo
Sophomore
And1: 272

Post#39 » by NotDikembeSayNo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm

From a pure value perspective, this was one of the worst trades I've ever seen. I'm not one of those people that drools over second round picks because maybe we can find Draymond Green or Michael Redd, but this was the third pick of the second round. There was first round talent available. Completely punting on a valuable asset because the one guy you wanted wasn't there is mind-numbingly stupid. I hope one day we get the scoop straight from the horse's mouth but I also hope we don't.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,047

Post#40 » by Capn'O » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:21 pm

King of Canada wrote:I think the trade makes sense - we only have so many roster spots, made the move to punt the pick, which will be a good one, until 2023. It now becomes a trade asset rather than a g-league candidate on the roster. It's fine. I would have liked to pick a few of the guards at that spot, but apparently we're looking toward FA for that.

Yeah, I have a hard time giving criticism for things I have absolutely done myself in BAF :lol:

Edit: granted we have a hard cap...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks