ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Re: With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris 

Post#81 » by YelloC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 am

OhCanada1091 wrote:For you guys comparing Harris to Powell because you clearly only know Raptors players (smh), its a bad comparison. Plays more like Jordan Clarkson but he has more playmaking ability. Powell is a straightline driver, north south guy, pull out outside of the three point line and pull up, transition scorer. Harris is an iso creator. He creates plays and he doesnt trap himself, much better ballhandler, similar athleticism.

Whether he will end up as good as Powell who knows but they are very different.

Would Etwaun Moore be a good comparison?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Re: With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris 

Post#82 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 am

Lol at people thinking we drafted Harris to replace norm. Harris is not going to be ready right away and if he was replacing someone it would be TD who is likely to get ban from the league for a couple years.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,639

Post#83 » by C_Money » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:Lol at people thinking we drafted Harris to replace norm. Harris is not going to be ready right away and if he was replacing someone it would be TD who is likely to get ban from the league for a couple years.

Lol no like 10-15 games
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Post#84 » by XTC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:40 am

This guy is definitely intriguing.

I can definitely tell He has some athleticism to him. He’s more sneaky athletic in that Evan Turner and Brandon Roy type way. He’s definitely a scorer, but how well will his scoring ability translate to the next level?

His draft measurements are as followed

Height: 6-2 3/4
Height with shoes: 6-4 1/4
Wingspan: 6’7”
Hand length: 8.25”

Mehhhhh average is what I could say looking at his physicals. His wing span to height ratio is pretty solid, but other than that nothing stands out, other than his small hands.

While the kid may not LOOK explosive he’s definitely an athlete. If I had to wager I’d argue that the kid was a top 5 athlete in this draft class, which played a big reason why the Raps took him.

Standing vert: 37.5” #1 in class, and the best in the last 4 years
Max vert: 42.5” #3 in class
Lane agility: 10.59 #3 in class
Shuttle run: 2.49 second #10 in class
3/4 sprint: 3.11 seconds #5 in class

Those are outstanding numbers. If I had to make a comparison from my eye test and his athletic numbers I’d say he has POTENTIAL to be a player in a similar mold to Will Barton and Norman Powell. Do I think he can reach that level? Highly unlikely but he shows potential because athletically he’s right there. Skill wise he’s got it. How far he goes depends on how much his off ball game grows, because Barton and Norm are fantastic off ball scorers. Another reason for concern is his lateral movements. They’re poor which is why he’s a poor defender. It’s a must for him to work On that facet of his game or he will never be a regular.

Just my 2 cents.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#85 » by mademan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:Lol at people thinking we drafted Harris to replace norm. Harris is not going to be ready right away and if he was replacing someone it would be TD who is likely to get ban from the league for a couple years.

Short of felony conviction, TD isnt getting banned, lol. He's been charged for misdemeanours. I'll be surprised if he gets more than a 10 day suspension, and ill even be more surprised if it's levied by the league and not the Raps themselves.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#86 » by mademan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:31 am

A lot of guys taken in the 2nd round i thought had first round talent. He's one of them. Think he can become a rotation player, and if he buys in and works like the rest of the young Raps have, no reason he cant make a name for himself in this league like they did.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#87 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#88 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am

Good break down on Harris by a Nevada sports show. This was before the draft where they asked “will he get drafted ?” Pretty good listen

https://m.soundcloud.com/packcenter/will-jalen-harris-get-drafted

StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#89 » by StringerBell » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am

See a little Gilbert Arenas in his game.
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#90 » by Gold Dragon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:11 pm

It is a bit surprising to see the Raptors pick up someone who is so poor defensively. It is possible they want to try to develop him as a Jamal Crawford type scorer off the bench whose bad defense can be hidden situationally. On offense with the ball in his hands he does have a lot of tools in his belt to get the ball in the bucket and I like his attack mentality.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#91 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 pm

After watching some full games of his I see what he’s good at and what he needs to work on. Like Flynn he’s a very crafty scorer but what stuck out to me is he never panic’s under pressure and I think Masai saw that as an issue in the Celtics series with certain guys and focused on drafting crafty scorers that can get buckets in many ways. You can tell he’s confident in his ability offensively which is is why he’s so calm when he gets the ball. If you look at him you’ll notice he doesn’t rush when he gets the ball. That’s someone that’s confident in their ability to get their shot. His first step is underrated to.

Issues i see!

Like Norm he has tunnel vision at times where he makes up his mind to do something even if the defense is showing they’re prepared for it but that could be overconfidence in his game. What I mean by that is knowing when to give up the ball. Also he’s not really a great defender. He’s not Matt Thomas bad but he’s not going to lock down quick players at the guard position. What he’s good at is getting to the basket (very crafty) shooting the 3 and the midrange jumper. He also has that little kobe, Demar, Joe Johnson like fade away in the post. He doesn’t use it that much but he has it in his locker. All in all I think he can be a good player but he needs a season in the G league to work out a few kinks in his game. That being said I think he can be better than Powell offensively to be truthful. He has more in his locker in terms of ways to score the ball than Powell does. If he was a great defender no way we get him at that pick.

BBallG
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,749

Post#92 » by BBallG » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:Jalen Harris playing Malachi Flynn

Them shorts be kinda tight.... OG approves
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#93 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Actually more excited about picking him than Flynn.

Just can't get over passing on Maledon, had we got him and Harris woulda been extremely happy with this draft. As individual player I'm fine with Flynn, just really upset that we fanned on the opportunity to add Maledon. Coulda really improved our length at the position and I believe Theo will end up the better player with a similar impact to SGA where as Malachi is clearly another Fred, just disappointing.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#94 » by DG88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#95 » by artsncrafts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm

No matter what he cant be worse than Dewan Hernandez and Deandre Daniels, so thats a win.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#96 » by gerrit4 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm

artsncrafts wrote:No matter what he cant be worse than Dewan Hernandez and Deandre Daniels, so thats a win.

Daniels was obviously a bust, but I think it's too soon to write off Dewan - not that a pick that late even can be a bust...
bonjovi0308
Veteran
And1: 889

Post#97 » by bonjovi0308 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Kind of hard to believe such talent is available at #59. Hope Jalen has the right attitude and mindset.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#98 » by Brinbe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

The Norm comparisons aren't a literal one to one they are the exact same. But they're highly athletic slightly undersized 2nd round combo-guards. And yes, TD is even more evidence that they target a specific type. He's in that same mold.

Just like how Lowry, Fred, Flynn aren't exactly alike in their styles of play but they share an awful lot of traits.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#99 » by Psubs » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Actually more excited about picking him than Flynn.

Just can't get over passing on Maledon, had we got him and Harris woulda been extremely happy with this draft. As individual player I'm fine with Flynn, just really upset that we fanned on the opportunity to add Maledon. Coulda really improved our length at the position and I believe Theo will end up the better player with a similar impact to SGA where as Malachi is clearly another Fred, just disappointing.

Not sure if anyone scouted Maledon more than Masai. They also went to Vegas and was more impressed with Flynn.

I was not impressed with Maledon's highlights. Maledon is just younger.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#100 » by Danny1616 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm

After my 5 minutes of post-draft research it's pretty clear he will be the MVP in 2027.

Return to Toronto Raptors