ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#61 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:white Kyrie minus the head case and who plays defense...no really. Instant starter if we didn't have Kemba, future starter no doubt about it. Will make Kemba expendable by the break. A+

you like him that much? elaborate please
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#62 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 pm

CelticsLV wrote:Can't be worse than Edwards. I hope this guy translates, and is as scrappy as McConnell with better shot making ability.

team drafts a white point guard, you throw out a lazy white PG comp hahahah
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#63 » by BigTrade92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm

At 26th overall, I don’t mind the pick. This kid can play.

I’m not hung up on his age as most are. For a backup PG, you need experience, so to draft a rookie with his skill set on top of a four year college career is fine by me.

Clearly a Wanamaker replacement and one I think could even be an upgrade. Also doesn’t hurt that his shot is butter from 3 land.
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 943

Post#64 » by Blaze4G » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:1st team all-American and PAC-12 POY but he sucks?

Just admit you haven't watched him play if you think that. 40% 3PT shooter who can come in and run the 2nd unit. Really good backup PG, in the mold of Van Vleet off the bench. Solid pick.

He is NOT FVV. For one, FVV is built like a brick wall.

Two, FVV was and is a demonstrably better shooter. Look up their college shooting.

Three, Carsen Edwards was an AA guard too, look how that has turned out. So was Jalen Brunson and while I like Brunson he's nothing more than a 15 MPG bench guy in the NBA. And honestly, Edwards and Brunson were meaningfully better college players than Pritchard.

You said to look up their college shooting...their last year in college Payton is a better 2 point shooter, 3 point shooter, FT shooter. If you take average of all 4 years they are pretty comparable. So I am unsure why FVV is a demonstrably better shooter. Take the best year each had and Payton is a better shooter in College.
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#65 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Kalela wrote:I am not saying he is a bad player but this guy would probably have been available at the 47th pick. Ainge should have traded the 26th pick.

No way would he have been there.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#66 » by ParticleMan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm

Scoonie wrote:
Kalela wrote:I am not saying he is a bad player but this guy would probably have been available at the 47th pick. Ainge should have traded the 26th pick.

rumors are he had a late 1st guarantee. TOR is the best guess, as an FVV protege.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#67 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#68 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Not going to lie -- his eyebrow situation is a little unsettling.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#69 » by darrendaye » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

For similar reasons to why I got comfortable with the Edwards pick last year, I'm ok with Pritchard. I'm in the same lane as LBF in terms of believing the team needs a big combo guard to combat the defensive targeting of small guards that occurs routinely, especially in the playoffs. I don't like the idea of having 2 point guards that can fall prey. But, if the eventual idea is to trade Kemba this offseason or next and fill that role with a big combo guard type, I'm certainly on board with a backup point guard who is more the classic shifty mite type guy. Similar to Edwards, Pritchard has enough bulk to at least not get knocked around and should be able to hold position, but, both can easily be shot over. The plus for Pritchard is that he is a distributor and better college 3pt% than Edwards coming in.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the fact that Tatum should continue to develop as a distributor as he will be tasked with alpha dog responsibilities. In addition, for the Langford pick to be justified, he will need to show he can serve as a guy who can drive and dish at least adequately play a combo guard role.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#70 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:25 pm

darrendaye wrote:For similar reasons to why I got comfortable with the Edwards pick last year, I'm ok with Pritchard. I'm in the same lane as LBF in terms of believing the team needs a big combo guard to combat the defensive targeting of small guards that occurs routinely, especially in the playoffs. I don't like the idea of having 2 point guards that can fall prey. But, if the eventual idea is to trade Kemba this offseason or next and fill that role with a big combo guard type, I'm certainly on board with a backup point guard who is more the classic shifty mite type guy. Similar to Edwards, Pritchard has enough bulk to at least not get knocked around and should be able to hold position, but, both can easily be shot over. The plus for Pritchard is that he is a distributor and better college 3pt% than Edwards coming in.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the fact that Tatum should continue to develop as a distributor as he will be tasked with alpha dog responsibilities. In addition, for the Langford pick to be justified, he will need to show he can serve as a guy who can drive and dish at least adequately play a combo guard role.

And that he has 3 inches on Edwards
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#71 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:47 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
Scoonie wrote:

rumors are he had a late 1st guarantee. TOR is the best guess, as an FVV protege.

More like replacement. FVV is a UFA and expected to sign elsewhere.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#72 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 pm

After spending 20 minutes of watching highlights, why does it feel like comparing him to TJ McConnell is selling this Pritchard dude way short? The shooting and range alone sets him apart.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#73 » by return2glory » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I bet some of you guys would have been upset if he drafted Hero the day after the draft.

Pritchard is the Tyler Hero, PG version.

The parking lot range, the ability to make shots and take shots with the game on the line. The swag he stays with.

He is a good passer and has handles. Plays hard. Is an emotional leader on the court. Runs the team.

There is a lot to like about this kind. He isn’t too small for a PG either at 6’2 and close to 210.

The night before the draft I was watching extra film on him. Call it a hunch. But he was one of my sleeper picks. I was thinking about 30th, but he might have been gone by then. For me, we needed a back up PG with upside. It came down to Pritchard and Tre Jones. But I liked Pritchard more for his shooting and confidence.

Too soon, but I liked this pick.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#74 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:After spending 20 minutes of watching highlights, why does it feel like comparing him to TJ McConnell is selling this Pritchard dude way short? The shooting and range alone sets him apart.

He's a much better offensive player/shooter than McConnell, and also quicker.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#75 » by CelticsLV » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:After spending 20 minutes of watching highlights, why does it feel like comparing him to TJ McConnell is selling this Pritchard dude way short? The shooting and range alone sets him apart.

Pritchard is obviously way more skilled player. I just hope he's as scrappy on defensive end. Otherwise I don't see him sticking around.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#76 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Red2 wrote:So we draft a 23 year old slow guard who can’t defend? I don’t get Danny . Year after year he wastes draft picks on guards who don’t pan out. We drafted 3 guards again and traded a 4th. Not one big man for a team that needs size and is about to lose Gordon Hayward .

You think Pritchard is slow?

Lol safe to say you’ve never watched a minute of him if that’s the case. Just admit you’ve never seen him play it’s ok.
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#77 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 pm

CelticsLV wrote:

Pritchard is obviously way more skilled player. I just hope he's as scrappy on defensive end. Otherwise I don't see him sticking around.

He appears to be scrappy and has decent mass for a PG, but you know every team is going to hunt him with switches (much like Kemba in the playoffs) until he shows he can hold up against size.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#78 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pm

The issue with Pritchard is the same as the issue with Waters: defense. They're both small. Having said that, you don't have to be that good defensively to be better than Kemba Walker, who is also small (but much more savvy).
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#79 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The issue with Pritchard is the same as the issue with Waters: defense. They're both small.

Waters is 5'10, 175 (source: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629682/)
Pritchard is 6'2, 206 (source: https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/payton-pritchard#/)

But I'm sure you already knew that...
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#80 » by return2glory » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 pm

As far as Carsen Edwards, I still love the guy. What the Celtics did with him was just bad. Carsen is 5’11. That’s short for even a PG. But what did the Celtics do? They moved Carsen off the ball and into SG. Really dumb. But it gets worse. Then they paired him up in rotations with a 5’10 PG in Waters.

Pritchard is a better ball handler and passer than Carsen. Pritchard also runs a team better. But to mention is he 6’2 and will be playing PG and not SG. Hopefully not at least.

Celtics need to try to trade Waters. I’m still not giving up on Edwards but I don’t see room for him or Waters anymore. I would still keep Carsen over Waters. Brad is most likely gone. Celtics have Pritchard and Smart as back up PG. and of course Smart can also play both guard positions.

Return to Boston Celtics