Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: 2020 Draft Night Thread 

Post#861 » by Kolkmania » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Are we keeping the Paul Reed selection?

That's not a normal pick at #58. Reed is a legitimate 6'9" 220+ pound defensive stalwart. He very easily could have went an entire round earlier.

Morey mentioned him as a great fit with Ben. Perhaps they're thinking about some funky lineup with Reed being the C who can run the floor with Simmons in a switchable and heavy-gambling line-up.

Don't think he has the perimeter skills to survive any non-center minutes?

He kinda reminds me of a raw version of Bam. We could only be so lucky if he was a poor man's version.

Sure haha.

But to be honest every year there a couple of raw mobile PF/C tweeners with defensive versatility and some ball handling skills. Rarely do they have a Adebayo/Siakam trajectory.
Must say that Reed's mobility and physical flexibility is quite impressive, often a good indicator.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#862 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

LloydFree wrote:[list=][/list]

That's not a normal pick at #58. Reed is a legitimate 6'9" 220+ pound defensive stalwart. He very easily could have went an entire round earlier.

I would have been fine with Reed at #21. Steal of the draft.

I agree that he was a smart grab if the intention was to get a big in the second. His stats are excellent for a defensive big man, especially one who played in a competitive conference. My guess for the drop is that he likely has a limited ceiling as an offensive player (.227 FTr for a big is quite low) and has a thin frame after 3 years of college. But if he can consistently hit open threes, then he's an excellent stretch 4 going forward.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#863 » by LloydFree » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Stanford wrote:
LloydFree wrote:[list=][/list]

I would have been fine with Reed at #21. Steal of the draft.

Why do you think he nearly went undrafted?

Upperclassmen get devalued these days and routinely go under drafted, in the 2nd round. And Because teams don't know what position to play him. He's NBA Small Forward weight but NBA PF length and he isn't a knockdown shooter yet.

This player is a poor man's Siakam. They let him develop slowly, they may have a difference maker in a year or two.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#864 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:23 pm

DePaul fan here (and occasional rights to Ricky listener), happy that Reed went to you guys he seems like a perfect fit for Moreyball!

He is a great athlete and shot blocker and he has really worked to improve his offensive game and I still think he has strides that can be made there. His jumper really improved last year but I don't know if he quite has NBA range yet and his release is a little slow. He played a lot of center at DePaul but he is probably going to need to bulk up to be more of a 4/smallball 5. He kind of reminds me a little bit of a taller Harkless or Al Farouq Aminu in terms of frame and the inconsistent jumper but he plays with a lot of energy and effort in addition to having solid physical tools.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#865 » by TTP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:28 pm

I don't know much about the prospects this year, but one fun stat about Reed from the Sam Vecenie draft guide (which is ridiculously extensive btw - 89 pages long!):

Only one player other than Reed has posted at least 1.9 steals and 2.6 blocks per game in high-major college basketball over the last two decades - Nerlens Noel.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#866 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm

There's definitely a fluidity to his game, especially on defense, that isn't normal for guys his height. I mean, he shouldn't be causing this much disruption in a full court press against a team with Paul Scruggs, Naji Marshall, and Quentin Goodin, all upperclassmen ball handlers.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#867 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic with Isaiah Joe, but if we wanted to get a guy who pairs well with Ben and Joel, we should have drafted Elijah Hughes. Dude is build like a brick house, has solid athleticism, carried a team, showed lead guard capabilities but is clearly not going to be that role in the NBA. He ranked in the 71st percentile as a catch and shoot three point shooter. And he obviously had a knack for off ball cutting and getting himself open.

I feel like Isaiah Joe did a full season of process era RoCo where he shot contested 3s and fast break 3s. Perhaps that's what Morey found appealing if he was the one pulling the strings for this.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#868 » by KKell2507 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 pm

For those who just want the normal update of just how young Zhaire Smith is. He, Isaiah Joe, and Paul Reed were all born within a month of each other. Sounds like a broken record or lost cause, but I still hope we get to see something from Zhaire Smith to showcase what hes got. Hes had about the most unusual 2 year start to an NBA career anyone could have ever imagined.
still in payne
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#869 » by still in payne » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:50 pm

When Reed was still on the board ESPN's Best Available profile (which was taken down when he was drafted and I cannot find this morning), said that he did not do well in interviews and his approach/commitment to the game was questioned. Apparently that's why he fell.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,750

Post#870 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm sold on Reed. He looks like a beast. I hope he can be effective right away and come in when Embiid sits in the first.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#871 » by davesilver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Well... We have a TON of promising young guys

Zhaire, shake, reed, tyrese, furkan, Matisse, Ferguson, joe, shayok

Really excited to see what Morey does with them
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#872 » by sixers hoops » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Young22 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
I don't know, it just seems absurd to think Elton gets an extension if he was truly the leading voice on everything that happened last year.

Elton was a disaster. Josh Harris is just an idiot who has no clue what he is doing, so he is keeping Elton around. He kept Colangelo’s guys there for a few years. He tried to keep Hinkie there in a reduced role. He is so confused and lucked out getting Morey.

I find it funny you guys have zero problem with using this language when bashing Elton. Where was this fire for Brett? Seriously guys don’t even try to hide their bias. Here’s hoping it’s just bias and not more sinister.

Where was I? I was right here criticizing Brett because he is a bad coach. That is what we do on a basketball forum. We give our thoughts on basketball. You either need to grow thicker skin or go be sensitive somewhere else.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#873 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Myles Powell to the Knicks. I am 100% expecting him to have a stretch where their garbage PGs get injured and he is thrusted into the role just in time to play us and drop 35 on our heads.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 593

Post#874 » by brannigan73 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Yesterday was a great day for the Sixers. We finally have a lineup that makes sense. Seth Curry has some deficiencies but his shooting is so outstanding he has made himself into a plus NBA player. Danny Green is still a good player. Im not a draft expert but the consensus seems to be we did pretty well. We went from a mediocre shooting team to one that likely will be top 1/3 of the NBA in 3pt shooting. The improved spacing will do nothing but help Ben and Joel. Tobias will also play almost all his minutes at PF again. Will we will a championship? Probably not but the team will be very fun again to watch. Also, we should be able to add at least one more useful player. This is what competent leadership does for a team. Brand doesnt matter because he isnt making the decisions Morey and Rivers are.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 643

Post#875 » by HardenToSixers » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

There's definitely a fluidity to his game, especially on defense, that isn't normal for guys his height. I mean, he shouldn't be causing this much disruption in a full court press against a team with Paul Scruggs, Naji Marshall, and Quentin Goodin, all upperclassmen ball handlers.

it's almost like taking multiple shots like this is the right way to find a good backup big solution rather than giving Al Horford a near max.
Sixer4life74
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#876 » by Sixer4life74 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Love this pick, hope he developes
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#877 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:11 am

Isaiah Joe has a pretty stroke. Mechanics are solid and consistent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers