The Leandro Bolmaro thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,813

The Leandro Bolmaro thread 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm

I know there's a lot of frustration with this pick. A lot of head scratching. I truly believe it's because people haven't seen him.

I'm not even saying he'll be a certifiable stud in the NBA. I just think we need to give him a chance. Of all the front offices in the league to evaluate this prospect, I trust Gersson Rosas. I trust Gianluca Pascucci. I trust Pablo Prigioni to connect with him and coach him up in a way very few coaches in the league could. If they believe we needed to trade up for this kid, then I believe they needed to do so.

Here's a really good read on him (written from a Knicks perspective): https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/7/14/21313608/know-the-prospect-leandro-bolmaro
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,701

Re: The Leandro Bolmaro thread 

Post#2 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Klomp wrote:I know there's a lot of frustration with this pick. A lot of head scratching. I truly believe it's because people haven't seen him.

I'm not even saying he'll be a certifiable stud in the NBA. I just think we need to give him a chance. Of all the front offices in the league to evaluate this prospect, I trust Gersson Rosas. I trust Gianluca Pascucci. I trust Pablo Prigioni to connect with him and coach him up in a way very few coaches in the league could. If they believe we needed to trade up for this kid, then I believe they needed to do so.

Here's a really good read on him (written from a Knicks perspective): https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/7/14/21313608/know-the-prospect-leandro-bolmaro

It's not just that people haven't seen him, it what we gave up to get him. If ends up being a quality player, it will seem like nothing, but if he's not, we wasted another two picks.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,824

Post#5 » by Domejandro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:28 pm

We were never going to keep that second, it is absolutely worth using it to secure the player you want. Much better than selling it for cash, we had zero chance of bringing in four rookies.

To me, this is investing in our two rookies this year, then bringing in Bolmaro next year as our top rookie when we do not have our own First Round Draft Pick.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#6 » by TaylorTag » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:I know there's a lot of frustration with this pick. A lot of head scratching. I truly believe it's because people haven't seen him.

It's not just that people haven't seen him, it what we gave up to get him. And if ends up being a quality player, it will seem like nothing, but if he's not, then people will never forget it.

Eh, if you are worried about optics and the fans psyche, think this is the wrong take. Not having a FRP next year is going to sting and people will be mad about it for years. Now we can insert a young, highly-touted Euro from overseas and it will feel like we added lottery talent through the draft.

Plus, the Wolves will still have two rookies to groom and showcase this season. Edwards was a consensus top-3 pick. A lot of mock drafts had the Wolves taking McDaniels at #17. We got him anyways at #28. Wolves also bring in a veteran in Ricky Rubio, who probably has more value than the #33 pick in a vacuum, although his contract doesn't provide any positive value this season.

Not sure why Wolves fans would be upset with how this all played out. Bolmaro will cauterize the wound of missing out on the talented draft class next year.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#7 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This schmitz guy will be wrong on all of those except Bolmaro.I have said before I thought he could be better than Avdija and I stick by that.He will be the wolves version of Ginobili but not as good a shooter.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

It's not just that people haven't seen him, it what we gave up to get him. And if ends up being a quality player, it will seem like nothing, but if he's not, then people will never forget it.

Eh, if you are worried about optics and the fans psyche, think this is the wrong take. Not having a FRP next year is going to sting and people will be mad about it for years. Now we can insert a young, highly-touted Euro from overseas and it will feel like we added lottery talent through the draft.

Plus, the Wolves will still have two rookies to groom and showcase this season. Edwards was a consensus top-3 pick. A lot of mock drafts had the Wolves taking McDaniels at #17. We got him anyways at #28. Wolves also bring in a veteran in Ricky Rubio, who probably has more value than the #33 pick in a vacuum, although his contract doesn't provide any positive value this season.

Not sure why Wolves fans would be upset with how this all played out. Bolmaro will cauterize the wound of missing out on the talented draft class next year.

It seems that worrying about what fans think about not having a first round pick next year would be more about optics than worrying about whether we gave away a high 2nd round pick.
The important thing is to get quality players with the picks and opportunities they have. Maybe they did, but Bolmaro is a player a lot of us don't know anything about.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#9 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

What made me upset was I thought he would be available at 25 or 28 and I hate to see Knickerboker fans gloat that they “fleeced” the wolves.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,402

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks Klomp for finding that tweet about Bolmaro being a potential steal.

At the time, I thought the only reason he was chosen was that he was the best player available we could stash in Europe - not the best player overall.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 pm

NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#12 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Neeva wrote:What made me upset was I thought he would be available at 25 or 28 and I hate to see Knickerboker fans gloat that they “fleeced” the wolves.

The Knicks took Quickley who way too small and not athletic enough to play in the League. If Quickley played for my Iowa Hawkeyes he would have never been drafted. I thing the Knicks took him and surprised the Wolves, so Minnesota had to make the trade. I'm happy with the trade. Get the guy you want. The Wolves will win this trade when it's all said and done.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:55 pm

I have two burning questions from last night's draft.
1: Did the Wolves go into it with a deal for Rubio already in place?
2: Did the Knicks select Bolmaro for us or did they select him for themselves and we talked them into trading him?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Who needs Ball. We just got the better version in Rubio and all it cost us was the #17 pick and we got back 25 and 28 along with him. However, since Rubio is about 30 and might not fit the timeline we got Bolmaro the better shooting and defending 19 year old cohort of Ball.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#15 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

It's not just that people haven't seen him, it what we gave up to get him. If ends up being a quality player, it will seem like nothing, but if he's not, we wasted another two picks.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I read that the Wolves would have had to give up their mid-level exception if they would have made all 4 draft picks (1, 25, 28, and 33). So it's really, 33, 25 for MLE + 23. Given that we know that Rosas wants to bring in players on D Lo/Towns timeline... I think that makes a lot of sense. Now we'll see if/how we actually use that, but it seems like they wanted that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I read that the Wolves would have had to give up their mid-level exception if they would have made all 4 draft picks (1, 25, 28, and 33). So it's really, 33, 25 for MLE + 23. Given that we know that Rosas wants to bring in players on D Lo/Towns timeline... I think that makes a lot of sense. Now we'll see if/how we actually use that, but it seems like they wanted that.

*Part of the MLE*, and that's only assuming Year 1 would be guaranteed for more than the minimum (decent chance of that at 33).

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

A portion of it, not all of it. Less than 2 million of it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#18 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Who needs Ball. We just got the better version in Rubio and all it cost us was the #17 pick and we got back 25 and 28 along with him. However, since Rubio is about 30 and might not fit the timeline we got Bolmaro the better shooting and defending 19 year old cohort of Ball.

Might be a player who can directly benefit from the Rube's presence ... Bolmaro is interesting and shows up as an excellent passer, aggressive defender, and the guy can drive and "FINISH". It's rare to see a 6-7" guard who can defend like that. I get a vibe he a true gamer.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Dewey wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Who needs Ball. We just got the better version in Rubio and all it cost us was the #17 pick and we got back 25 and 28 along with him. However, since Rubio is about 30 and might not fit the timeline we got Bolmaro the better shooting and defending 19 year old cohort of Ball.

Might be a player who can directly benefit from the Rube's presence ... Bolmaro is interesting and shows up as an excellent passer, aggressive defender, and the guy can drive and "FINISH". It's rare to see a 6-7" guard who can defend like that. I get a vibe he a true gamer.

I'm excited for Bolmaro and IMO he was gone at 23 so we didn't trade for a guy who would have been there at 33.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#20 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm not a fan of the trade because I liked other places at a position of need (PF) more but he has nice shooting form, good handles, very good distributor and a fiery competitiveness about him. He might never play a minute in the NBA but he's a very interesting prospect.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves