ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#561 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm

I think we get something if Hayward leaves to sign elsewhere:

-ATL will want to punt Dedmon, a Dedmon+TPE for Hayward gives us increased optionality and clears cap for them

-NY wants max cap space for next offseason and just drafted another PF. I hate Randle, but he provides us optionality to trade for something else given his salary. We’d also get a small TPE. NY would like to free up his 19.8M / 4M guarantee for next summer.

-Guessing Charlotte is out; they're gonna hand the keys to Ball and try to be bad. A S&T for Rozier would be all kinds of hilarious, though.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#562 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 pm

REPOST FROM TRADE THREAD:

One possible reason it's hard to find a trading partner for Hayward is his salary (+ trade kicker which I assume he'd want). I also assume he doesn't want to opt out if he can help it. That's a lot of money to turn down.

Assuming he doesn't waive any of his trade kicker, the other team either has to have cap space amounting to at least $38,199,000 (his max number next season is less than salary + trade kicker) OR combined salaries amounting to at least $30,479,200 in order to match.

Even the Pacers would have to do something like Turner + Oladipo or Turner + 2 other players (e.g. Lamb & McDermott).

This is why Atlanta is the team being talked about the most. They have the cap space to absorb all of Hayward's salary+kicker. Knicks are the only other team that can do so. Maybe Detroit if they move some pieces.

Disclaimer: I'm just a rabid fan, not a CBA/cap expert. My assumptions and math could be wrong. :D

Anyway, we'll know in about 9 hours. Hope we get a decent player and a TPE in return, at least. Then we go FA hunting!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#563 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:46 pm

With the names being thrown out here (mainly Dedmon), just let Hayward stay for 1 year and then move on.

Unless we can land Turner, there's no other option that improves our current window or our next one.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#564 » by winsomme2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Random scenario odds:

50% Hayward opts out, signs with a team w/ cap space
20% Hayward opts out, sign-and-trade
15% Hayward opts in, stays
10% Hayward opts in, gets traded
05% Hayward opts out, re-signs on lower AAV

Really? The most likely scenario is that he opts out? That doesn't really make sense to me. It's not like Hayward has been at the top of his game.

I would think the most likely is an opt in and possibly a trade during the season.

When exactly do we find out about the extension? Sometime today?
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#565 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

winsomme2 wrote:

Really? The most likely scenario is that he opts out? That doesn't really make sense to me. It's not like Hayward has been at the top of his game.

I would think the most likely is an opt in and possibly a trade during the season.

When exactly do we find out about the extension? Sometime today?

I think despite his injuries last season, he's still a top 5 FA if he opts out. He was playing really well in the bubble before he hurt his ankle and had an awesome stretch in January. Just a question of whether other teams have the cap space to sign him to a number he'd be agreeable to.

We'll know in the next 8 hours or so if he opts in/out. Then we'll have to wait another few days to learn if he stays or gets traded. :P
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#566 » by amory87 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I feel like he'll just opt in and stay in Boston for one more year. The deadline pushback might've just been a mutual opportunity to see what kind of options opened up on draft day, but Hayward isn't getting anywhere near that kind of money anywhere else next year if he opts out and the Celtics apparently haven't found a trade partner. There hasn't been any indication that he's dead set against staying anyway, and it's only one more season.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#567 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:With the names being thrown out here (mainly Dedmon), just let Hayward stay for 1 year and then move on.

Unless we can land Turner, there's no other option that improves our current window or our next one.

I agree— problem is that its not our call; he has to want to stay too.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#568 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:48 pm

I am guessing that Hayward will either opt-in, or agree to a sign-and-trade. I don't see him getting a ton of money on the open market right now.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#569 » by chrisab123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Scoonie wrote:I am guessing that Hayward will either opt-in, or agree to a sign-and-trade. I don't see him getting a ton of money on the open market right now.

Just offer him 4/70. See if he takes it. At this point its all about keeping veterans and not replacing them with rookies or 2nd year guys. If Hayward leaves then Boston is in the 4-6th seed range. Especially after Harden is moved.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#570 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:15 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:With the names being thrown out here (mainly Dedmon), just let Hayward stay for 1 year and then move on.

and its fairly clear that he doesn't otherwise he would've already opted in or worked out the extension
b3n
Junior
And1: 87

Post#571 » by b3n » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#572 » by sam_I_am » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:07 pm

90% chance the team that signs him gives up picks to salary dump him a year from now.
10% chance he can’t be traded due to injury.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,964

Post#573 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

and its fairly clear that he doesn't otherwise he would've already opted in or worked out the extension

Boston will do Hayward solid.

He is going for 4 years $110M. I bet he gets it. It should be from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#574 » by jmr07019 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 pm

The signing was a disaster. Let’s not make the same mistake twice. Good riddance
Show Love Spread Love
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#575 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Sighs all around for this news. Bye bye cap space. Thanks ass hat.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#576 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:43 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

90% chance the team that signs him gives up picks to salary dump him a year from now.
10% chance he can’t be traded due to injury.

Kind of all depends upon what Hayward signs for. Maybe he takes a one year deal in Golden State for peanuts and has an under the table arrangement with the Warriors management like Joe Smith had with the Wolves. He just doesn't put it in writing.

You may end up being right but if I was a non contender I would sign Hayward at 3/80 way before signing Kemba Walker to 4/140. But a non contender giving Hayward that 4th year I believe is making a mistake unless he signs for far less than I am suspecting.

If Hayward plays well, I would then just trade him for first round picks. Hayward obviously isn't a long term answer for a non contender if that team is interested in a championship. But I do believe this past season he would have been recognized as a top 50 NBA player on literally nearly any other team than the Boston Celtics.

Gordon Hayward is a very good NBA player but he just plays a patient style that is the opposite of all of his high profile teammates have done with the exception of Al Horford. To be fair, Kemba Walker hasn't been bad in knowing when to shoot and pass. It is hard to be an unselfish player when your teammates error on the side of selfishness.

Hayward plays more of the Miami Heat playing style which ended up getting soundly beating the Celtics. And tough to blame that series loss on Gordon Hayward when the team was 0-2 in that series without Hayward and 2-2 with him.

I was 100% in favor of moving on from Horford since he was getting old but Horford was really the only Celtics that consistently played at the right tempo nearly 100% of the the time. Hayward played at the right tempo 90% of the time but around 10% of the time he hesitated to shoot when he should have shot the ball. He played too unselfish when he didn't have it going. Tatum has improved but earlier on he had significant issues of shooting too quickly from bad spots on the floor. Brown is improving for sure but a lot of bad shots at times. Same with Smart. Kyrie Irving was an embarrassment in refusing to acknowledge when he was being shutdown and made to look like a D leaguer. I won't blame Morris much for shooting too quickly since really that is all he knows and he wasn't brought on board to pass the ball when he got it.

There are some valid criticisms of Hayward on the defensive end but he is a loss.

The real potential upside for the Celtics is if they get out of the K Walker contract, the Celtics may have a chance to add some high quality bigs to the current lineup.

It is not Hayward's fault but the Celtics had too many resources dedicated to the 1-3 positions and not enough money/resources dedicated to a legit 4 and legit 5.

I only think Tatum can work as a 4 on a championship team if he is the teams only undersized player.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#577 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 pm

I'm assuming we knew this already but
Read on Twitter
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#578 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 pm

The Celtics should move on from Hayward. They need to give their young picks a chance to do good so they can trade for someone a hell of a lot better than Daniel Theis and Robert Williams. Maybe Williams develops into an average center but the Celtics need more than an average center if they don't have a great natural PF.

It isn't Hayward's fault but the pieces on the Celtics don't fit together well enough. Tatum is a good defender. Smart a great one. Brown good to very good so those 3 make up a lot of the deficiencies. And Theis is even a good to very good defender but he isn't Alonzo Mourning on defense and he needs to be for this Celtics team to win given the rest of the roster.

Fans are fooling themselves if they think this team is super close. Celtics have championship wings/swings but they do not have championship calibre 4's and 5's. And their PG is a defensive liability. Not nearly as bad as IT but for sure a well below average starting PG on defense.

And for those folks, saying bigs don't matter.

Bill Russell disagrees.
Dave Cowens disagrees.
Paul Silas disagrees.
Robert Parish disagrees.
Cedric Maxwell disagrees
Kevin McHale disagrees. (Heck Bill Walton as well)
Kevin Garnett disagrees. (even Perkins disagrees!)

George Mikan disagrees.
Wilt Chamberlain disagrees.
Kareem disagrees.
Paul Gasol and even Bynum disagrees.
Anthony Davis disagrees.
Heck even Magic Johnson disagrees. 6"8 PG played center in an NBA finals game!

Lakers and Celtics two most successful franchises in NBA history have 34 championships between them. Some legends at gm. Red and Jerry West.

Those legends all believed wholeheartedly in bigs much more than smalls.

34 championships between these two clubs and can anyone show me a championship in which the best big was just the caliber of Daniel Theis or Robert Williams.

If I was Gordon Hayward I would have opted out of the Celtics in a heartbeat. I hate to say it but Ainge does a lot of things great but I think he should never have taken the risk of signing Kemba Walker to 4/140 before getting a great big.

I realize one can't pick up a great big at the local YMCA but I think you have to plan for it so if an opportunity to get a Pau Gasol arises, you jump on it.

Denver got lucky with Jokic. But in general you can't expect a great big outside of the top 20 picks.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#579 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 pm

It’s hard not to be pissed right now but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. On paper he was the perfect Celtic but it didn’t pan out.I felt and feel that he owed the C’s; they paid him millions of dollars and got very little in return. Maybe he sensed that the fans were down on him but i don’t think he could ever question how loyal the Celtics were to him . The final straw was him getting hurt again and ruining our shot at a title. Maybe he couldn’t live with that burden. I think he would have had a good year if he stayed but we will never know. I hold out hope that we can still do a sign and trade but the way our luck has gone the past two years that w probably won’t happen. Knicks just waived half of their roster to clear cap space so maybe that’s where Gordon goes. Trust me the knicks aren’t going to do us any favors
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#580 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 pm

If we can move Kamba we should. Time to rebuild around Tatum and brown
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics