ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#21 » by sam_I_am » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

His high light video is fun to watch. He is a magician with the ball and he looks like Bob Cousy out there. Of course his competition looks similar to Cousy’s in the 1950s so who knows if he can play in today’s NBA.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,857

Re: Welcome to Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#22 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 pm

SMTBSI wrote:My kingdom for a stash candidate who's actually willing to stash and develop.

If he doesn't go screw around in China for a year then force his way over after adding nothing to his game, I'll be happy.

He might be bad at basketball, but based on a cursory look at scouting reports and interviews, I don't think screwing around will be an issue. Dude looks pretty hardcore.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#23 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:28 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Agree that it's hard to get upset about a #47 pick, especially given how little room there is on our roster at this point.

That said, let's remember that the most important rationale behind this pick was continuing to justify Austin Ainge's role/salary as overseas scout. Every year we must pick or add a foreign player so that Austin can continue to fly around the world on the Celtics' dime. Then every few years we have to waste a pick throwing away one of Austin's "finds" (see: Vincent Poirier).

Why does it upset you so much that they travel around the world scouting and that the Celtics pay for it?

Seems like a weird thing to cry about but ok.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#24 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:15 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:Agree that it's hard to get upset about a #47 pick, especially given how little room there is on our roster at this point.

That said, let's remember that the most important rationale behind this pick was continuing to justify Austin Ainge's role/salary as overseas scout. Every year we must pick or add a foreign player so that Austin can continue to fly around the world on the Celtics' dime. Then every few years we have to waste a pick throwing away one of Austin's "finds" (see: Vincent Poirier).

Why does it upset you so much that they travel around the world scouting and that the Celtics pay for it?

lmao he's really mad that Wyc has to pay 20 grand a year out of pocket so Austin can eat some shakshuka in Tel Aviv. Meanwhile Theis and Wanamaker are signed in the last three years, and he has no concept that Vincent Poirier wasn't a draft pick. I love this board sometimes.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#25 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

lmao he's really mad that Wyc has to pay 20 grand a year out of pocket so Austin can eat some shakshuka in Tel Aviv. Meanwhile Theis and Wanamaker are signed in the last three years, and he has no concept that Vincent Poirier wasn't a draft pick. I love this board sometimes.

Judging from these posts and your performances in the draft threads last night, clearly I'm the one who is mad and you two are the ones you don't take posts too seriously :lol:
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Hey at least I know Poirier wasn't a draft pick and I don't care how the Celtics spend their money on scouting.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#27 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Also, at least read what I wrote if you're going to bother going after me -- I wrote "pick or add a foreign player"
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#28 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Hey at least I know Poirier wasn't a draft pick and I don't care how the Celtics spend their money on scouting.

Wrong x2

I know he wasn't a draft pick, thanks though
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#29 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 pm

His nickname will be "Sweet Potato".
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:24 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Hey at least I know Poirier wasn't a draft pick and I don't care how the Celtics spend their money on scouting.

Wrong x2

I gotchu fam, I'll take up reading comprehension soon enough.

Then every few years we have to waste a pick throwing away one of Austin's "finds" (see: Vincent Poirier).
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#31 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:

Wrong x2

I gotchu fam, I'll take up reading comprehension soon enough.

Then every few years we have to waste a pick throwing away one of Austin's "finds" (see: Vincent Poirier).

That was a reference to using the #30 pick last night to shed Poirier. This may not ultimately turn out to be the case, but it has been posited.

Since you seem so interested in my thoughts, we can schedule time to review my posts together if you'd like and I can explain each line to you.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#32 » by Dogen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:His nickname will be "Sweet Potato".

He’s just going to be another Yam and Egger.
Hey you! Can we come together?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#33 » by captain green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:People bitching about a #47 pick lol

I'm bitching because we didn't even try to address our weakness. Sure add another pg that may or may not come over
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#34 » by Dogen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Madar may not have been on our radar, but he may end up a steal at 47... eventually. I was hoping for a Maledon stash, but getting a guy who may end up better with a 2nd round pick is good value. The Celtics have too many players already, so stashing a guy with first round talent who could come over in a couple years as Kemba is winding down.... well, it's a bunch of "coulds", "ifs" and "maybes", but here he is..."The European Steph Curry" :wink:

Hey you! Can we come together?
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#35 » by TheSheriff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Dogen wrote:Madar may not have been on our radar, but he may end up a steal at 47... eventually. I was hoping for a Maledon stash, but getting a guy who may end up better with a 2nd round pick is good value. The Celtics have too many players already, so stashing a guy with first round talent who could come over in a couple years as Kemba is winding down.... well, it's a bunch of "coulds", "ifs" and "maybes", but here he is..."The European Steph Curry" :wink:

I am fine if every pick after 30 is a foreign stash player. Okur, Scola, Marc Gasol, Jokic, Ibaka, Beverly, Mirotic, etc. hit on one of them and you are a genius.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#36 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 pm

TheSheriff wrote:

Hey. Daniel Theis, Wanamaker, Larkin, have all been rotation pieces.

Right? This has actually been one of our strengths, plucking modest rotations pieces out of thin air. Our depth picture would have been even more dire the last couple of seasons.

I think people take it for granted that you can just do that with ease, because we have been. But it doesn't always work that way.
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#37 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm

SMTBSI wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:

Right? This has actually been one of our strengths, plucking modest rotations pieces out of thin air. Our depth picture would have been even more dire the last couple of seasons.

I think people take it for granted that you can just do that with ease, because we have been. But it doesn't always work that way.

Since this has drawn several responses I want to clarify that I was mostly joking about Austin Ainge getting a cushy job due to nepotism. I'm not actually mad about this despite it apparently reading that way. Voice doesn't convey well via forum posting and for that I apologize.

That said, other than Theis I don't see Wannamaker or Larkin as huge coups. Finding a couple 7th or 8th men over the course of several years shouldn't be considered that huge of a win IMO. No question he gets credit for Theis but I'd say his overall track record is pretty mediocre.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#38 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:

Since this has drawn several responses I want to clarify that I was mostly joking about Austin Ainge getting a cushy job due to nepotism. I'm not actually mad about this despite it apparently reading that way. Voice doesn't convey well via forum posting and for that I apologize.

That said, other than Theis I don't see Wannamaker or Larkin as huge coups. Finding a couple 7th or 8th men over the course of several years shouldn't be considered that huge of a win IMO. No question he gets credit for Theis but I'd say his overall track record is pretty mediocre.

No, not "huge coups" or "huge wins". Nobody is characterizing it that way. But you don't need them to be "huge wins" when they're free. If he was reliably picking up 4th and 5th men from overseas for dirt cheap every other season, obviously that would be wonderful, but it's also totally not realistic. No one's international scouting dept is that much better than the field's. There's not just this huge pool of untapped first-round talent sitting over there that everyone else is failing to see.

IMO, if you can pluck a 7th or 8th man out of thin air every couple of seasons, your international dept is doing just fine. I continue to see this as one of our strengths.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#39 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 pm

sam_I_am wrote:His high light video is fun to watch. He is a magician with the ball and he looks like Bob Cousy out there. Of course his competition looks similar to Cousy’s in the 1950s so who knows if he can play in today’s NBA.

People are such plastic. Last thing we need is a rookie contract. This is 2, 3 years down the line.

Just because he isn’t Black or a 7 foot tall Easter European doesn’t mean he can’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#40 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics