Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Re: Draft Day Thread 

Post#141 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:35 am

Catchall wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:Hughes is a 22 year old, high volume, low percentage 3pt shooter. bad defender with a short wingspan. basically not much too be excited about.

He's sort of a classic, 3&D prospect with iffy three point shooting and defense I mean....that's what you get when drafting at #39. Very disappointing when we could have gotten Bane at #27, who is a much better prospect imo. At least you know Bane can shoot.

Hughes is functionally like a more athletic Rodney Hood. He might play a bit of defense though.
I think Hughes has a chance to be really good. I like his overall game.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#142 » by D Rog » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 am

sip wrote:We need to be on the phone with Devin Dotsons agent right now.

Signed with Chicago
sip
Rookie

Post#143 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:40 am

D Rog wrote:
sip wrote:We need to be on the phone with Devin Dotsons agent right now.

Signed with Chicago
Damn. The jazz never get any of the undrafted free agents that I want.

sip
Rookie

Post#144 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:50 am

I'm really surprised Nate Hinton wasn't drafted.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#145 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 am

We've spent 7 first round picks on PGs in the last 8 years and still don't have a long-term PG...

We've spent 2 other first round picks in the last 3 years on traditional center picks to backup Rudy.

This is HORRIFIC asset management.

...if the Nuggets didn't gift us Mitchell and Gobert, this team would be the equivalent of the Knicks or the Kings...
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#146 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:00 am

stitches wrote:We've spent 7 first round picks on PGs in the last 8 years and still don't have a long-term PG...

We've spent 2 other first round picks in the last 3 years on traditional center picks to backup Rudy.

...if the Nuggets didn't gift us Mitchell and Gobert, this team would be the equivalent of the Knicks or the Kings...

I've reserved judgement a few times because of Hayward/Mitchell/Gobert, but sometimes we really get players that are head scratchers (Allen and Bradley especially). I need to see something interesting from both this year, though. I loved a lot of guys at 23, ESPECIALLY Bolmaro, who is a lottery talent in this draft.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#147 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 am

stitches wrote:We've spent 7 first round picks on PGs in the last 8 years and still don't have a long-term PG...

Mitchell is the longterm PG
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#148 » by Cappy_Smurf » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 am

Lmao.

Came here for the mega drama over a late pick in a ho hum draft.

I am not disappoint. :clap:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
sip
Rookie

Post#149 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Lmao.

Came here for the mega drama over a late pick in a ho hum draft.

I am not disappoint. :clap:
I see the only Lindsey supporter pokes his head out.

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#150 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am

Well, listening to the Jazz's front office talk about Udoka, it sounds like they've drafted the next Shaq.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#151 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 am

Usually in a draft night trade you come away with more win now value or future value. Jazz might have gotten neither...Udoka is only 3 months younger than Bradley. He might be a worse player than Bradley now and may never be better than him.

Hoping the Jazz have something in store with the extra cap space they have, but I have a feeling this is all to give Clarkson a rich contract.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#152 » by tugs » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:14 am

Watching his highlights and Elijah looking like Larry there
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#153 » by Charlie_S » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 am

I mean, I may not agree 100% but I can see their reasoning with the Azubuike pick... You get someone that in theory should allow you not to change your team identity when Gobert is resting/injured/in foul trouble and in the best case scenario a possible long-term replacement. Not a sexy pick but that kind of big man still has more of a place in modern NBA than a Tony Bradley type - he at least has some more viable NBA skills than just offensive rebounding.

Bradley salary dump was a bit of a weird move but I guess it was the easiest way to get enough flexibility to re-sign Clarkson and use part of the MLE without exceeding the luxury tax threshold. At least I hope that's the reason and we don't see Clarkson getting a crazy contract using the extra space...
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#154 » by CAE15 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Azubuike is HUGE and possess a 41" inch vertical..Tony was a fine rebounder as far as positioning went but more athletic guys often outworked him for loose balls. Good luck having the Jerami Grants of the league taking away rebounds from Dok. Yes there's his free throw percentage but **** especially in this league nowadays there's not that many centers who he's not going to be able to finish through. I was worried we'd take Zeke and was quite thankful the nuggets took him instead. I'm sorry but if you're a center you need to be able to block spots. Dok can do that, Jazz can run the same offense and defense regardless of personnel, that continuity shouldn't be understated.

Onto the Knicks got more value for 23 than us, well that happens, 25 wasn't owned by the wolves at the time. It was clear the jazz tried to do what the warriors did last year because they thought buying back into the 2nd would be uber expensive like last year when teams were coughing up multiple 2nds to get back in the 2nd round.

Hughes - Outside of not knowing how he'll handle man to man defense there's not a ton to dislike about him. He's got very good size, including a strong frame that in theory can play some small ball 4 for us. His shooting stroke is great, he seems to be able to score in a variety of ways. Reminds me of a Nick Young or JR Smith which has it's pros and cons but he was also asked to be the guy more in college. So hopefully won't force some shots. Having another guy who can score in bunches isn't a bad thing.

Overall the value on both picks possibly could've been better but everyone saying he would've been there at 38..would he have? Carey, Oturu, Tillman all taken after and there's no denying Azubuike had the best traditional center build. Sure a lot of teams are shying away from that but the Jazz are keeping Gobert so getting a player that can play similar to him in minutes he sits, foul trouble, exhausted, etc. Is actually a very good hole to fill.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#155 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Who is Trent Forrest? Latest 2-way Jazz acquisition.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#156 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Who is Trent Forrest? Latest 2-way Jazz acquisition.

6’4” guard from FSU.
Ingles is cooked.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#157 » by nolang1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:11 pm

GobertReport wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Who is Trent Forrest? Latest 2-way Jazz acquisition.

6’4” guard from FSU.

I was really high on him as a late 1st-early 2nd gamble. Just A++ in terms of intangibles as a leader/coach on the floor type and is the best athlete and defender of all the point guard prospects in the draft. He just isn't a shooter, but his free throw and three-point percentages have improved each year (82% from the line this year), he's young for a four-year player, and if he doesn't become one it's not going to be through a lack of hard work. Could easily see him being an Alex Caruso type of player, with probably even more upside if the shot really comes around as it'll open up a lot for him on offense.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#158 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm

I really hate this 48 minutes of Rudy Gobert narrative. What we'll have is 36 minutes of Rudy Gobert, and 12 minutes of someone who might play like him but is significantly worse. The only way our crap defensive system works is because Gobert is literally the best in the world, and it's still not good enough. We need to give him some help and get away from this 1 vs 5 defensive scheme.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#159 » by CAE15 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:I really hate this 48 minutes of Rudy Gobert narrative. What we'll have is 36 minutes of Rudy Gobert, and 12 minutes of someone who might play like him but is significantly worse. The only way our crap defensive system works is because Gobert is literally the best in the world, and it's still not good enough. We need to give him some help and get away from this 1 vs 5 defensive scheme.
Lord you don't want Rudy being at 36 minutes. Hell the jump last year to 34 from near 32 wasn't great. Rudy played that much because he needed to be out. Yes, we don't know how Dok will do in those minutes but our entire defense is built on funneling to a shot blocking big! But a fresher Rudy isn't a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#160 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:13 pm

KqWIN wrote:I really hate this 48 minutes of Rudy Gobert narrative. What we'll have is 36 minutes of Rudy Gobert, and 12 minutes of someone who might play like him but is significantly worse. The only way our crap defensive system works is because Gobert is literally the best in the world, and it's still not good enough. We need to give him some help and get away from this 1 vs 5 defensive scheme.

That's the funny thing to me too... it's like... it's just a given that a guy drafted at the end of the first will be worthy sub for 2 time DPOY , 3 times All NBA center. Like oh yeah... sure... that's like 48 minutes of elite rim protection now, right? Like wut? Why the hell would he drop to 27 if he was that much of a surefire rim protector and defensive presence? There is nothing certain about Azubuike! We don't know if he will be good or not defensively, we don't know if he will be good rolling to the rim at that level... we don't know whether he will make good decisions on the short roll(under 1AST per game and 2.5TO per game suggest that maybe not)... ironically the most surefire thing we know about him is that he will very likely miss most of his FTAs... that's it...

Return to Utah Jazz