ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#81 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:25 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:After spending 20 minutes of watching highlights, why does it feel like comparing him to TJ McConnell is selling this Pritchard dude way short? The shooting and range alone sets him apart.

They aren’t even remotely similar in terms of play style but hey they are both white!

I was getting killed last night for explaining to folks who said he’s a TJ McConnell that the comparison couldn’t possible be more off. TJ is a non shooter while Pritchard is lethal from three
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#82 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:After spending 20 minutes of watching highlights, why does it feel like comparing him to TJ McConnell is selling this Pritchard dude way short? The shooting and range alone sets him apart.

They aren’t even remotely similar in terms of play style but hey they are both white!

I was getting killed last night for explaining to folks who said he’s a TJ McConnell that the comparison couldn’t possible be more off. TJ is a non shooter while Pritchard is lethal from three

Similar build. Grit and relentless. Ability to probe the defense with the dribble. But that's about as generous as I can get.

His offensive package seems more diverse, inside and beyond the arc. And it appears he can read the floor better.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#83 » by BillessuR6 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:40 pm

If he can shoot it like that that in the NBA we are going to love him...
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#84 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm

every year. "i wish we found a shooter like duncan robinson", we draft a knock down shooter "what were we thinking?"
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#85 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm

return2glory wrote:Celtics need to try to trade Waters. I’m still not giving up on Edwards but I don’t see room for him or Waters anymore. I would still keep Carsen over Waters.

He has close to zero trade value. They'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah it's painfully obvious how many people on here haven't watched him play lol.

No matter who Ainge picked half the board would be crying about it. If you legitimately think Pritchard would have been there at 47, just log off for the day. Not even remotely close to true.
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#87 » by GreenFor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:every year. "i wish we found a shooter like duncan robinson", we draft a knock down shooter "what were we thinking?"

Not to mention Robinson was even older than Pritchard coming out of college.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#88 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm

I like the skill set. I think we need a sparkplug who can shoot and run the P&R off the bench behind Kemba. Wanamaker played well last year, but I do not like his playing style as a backup PG for this team. I don't think need a guy who can defend SG well enough to play some minutes alongside Kemba. I think we just need someone to play the 15-18 minutes per game that Kemba is out and bring some offensive initiation. I think Pritchard has some decent projection in that JJ Barea type of bench role.

I've mentioned on here that I like guys like Grant Riler, Nico Mannion or Malachi Flynn for us at #26/#30 to add that type of player. Pritchard fits that archetype though and I'm not going to be up in arms about Ainge liking him over those guys.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#89 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Upon further review, I think the Pritchard pick signals that Kemba isn't going anywhere. Pritchard is exactly the kind of kid you draft when you want to keep Kemba's minutes down during the regular season. This was 100% a need pick. That's why they didn't take Bane. They wanted a guy that could be ready ASAP with this quick turnaround to step in and steal maybe 10 minutes and likely more at times in the games that Kemba will certainly be kept out of.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#90 » by threrf23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The issue with Pritchard is the same as the issue with Waters: defense. They're both small.

Waters is 5'10, 175 (source: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629682/)
Pritchard is 6'2, 206 (source: https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/payton-pritchard#/)

But I'm sure you already knew that...

But Waters can at least pester opposing PGs, rap on Pritchard is that he might not be quick enough to keep up with a bunch NBA PGs.

Waters was SEC co-defensive player of the year as a sophomore, 3.6 steals per 40.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#91 » by itrsteve » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

$1.6m on a rookie scale deal. This is a 1 for 1 Wanamaker replacement, and who knows what he was going to want on a new contract anyway.

I see zero gamble with this.

Were there tall guys available? Sure. But would they be any good? We’ve had enough shi**y tall guys that I’m okay with a ready-made player to compliment Kemba off the bench.

Seeing Dame and Dejounte Murray give this guy high praise is all I need to see right now.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#92 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm

threrf23 wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The issue with Pritchard is the same as the issue with Waters: defense. They're both small.

Waters is 5'10, 175 (source: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629682/)
Pritchard is 6'2, 206 (source: https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/payton-pritchard#/)

But I'm sure you already knew that...

But Waters can at least pester opposing PGs, rap on Pritchard is that he might not be quick enough to keep up with a bunch NBA PGs.

Waters was SEC co-defensive player of the year as a sophomore, 3.6 steals per 40.

Our biggest issue last year was bench shooting. I mean if you watched this team last year it was immediately apparent. We didn't lose games because of a "lack of pestering opposing guards". We didn't lose because we couldn't turn the ball over. We had difficulty all year producing OFFENSE off the bench. This kid does that. Whatever his weaknesses may be, Pritchard potentially addresses a huge need from last season.

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#93 » by threrf23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:46 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Our biggest issue last year was bench shooting. I mean if you watched this team last year it was immediately apparent. We didn't lose games because of a "lack of pestering opposing guards". We didn't lose because we couldn't turn the ball over. We had difficulty all year producing OFFENSE off the bench. This kid does that. Whatever his weaknesses may be, Pritchard potentially addresses a huge need from last season.

Well sure, but I was replying to the notion that Pritchard was bigger than Waters, and hence a better defensive presence. IMO the only good reason to keep Waters over Pritchard would center around defense.

But if we're talking shooting too, as a freshman per 40 Waters averaged 16 pts per game while shooting 35% on slightly more than 6 threes per game. In four years at Oregon, Pritchard scored 13.5 points per game and shot 38% on slightly more than 5 threes per game.

So even on the offensive end, I'd rather have Pritchard playing PG for his intangibles and his clutch shooting ability, but Waters wtill deserves a chance to duel with him.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#94 » by JRoy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:49 pm

As a POR fan I have seen a bit of Pritchard and I think BOS fans might grow to like him.

He’s got a bit of fight in him and can knock down the outside shot.

True, he might have been available in the second round but who knows.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#95 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm

threrf23 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Well sure, but I was replying to the notion that Pritchard was bigger than Waters, and hence a better defensive presence. IMO the only good reason to keep Waters over Pritchard would center around defense.

But if we're talking shooting too, as a freshman per 40 Waters averaged 16 pts per game while shooting 35% on slightly more than 6 threes per game. In four years at Oregon, Pritchard scored 13.5 points per game and shot 38% on slightly more than 5 threes per game.

So even on the offensive end, I'd rather have Pritchard playing PG for his intangibles and his clutch shooting ability, but Waters wtill deserves a chance to duel with him.

Of course. And Pritchard's 22. Don't think that that had nothing to do with this. I expect Kemba to play maybe 60 games this season tops. You need a kid who knows how to play the position and can generate offense backing him up. Like the kid or not, it's not difficult to understand why he was picked.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Post#96 » by bisme37 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 pm

The guys on NBATV loved this pick last night. Said Pritchard can instantly be our backup point guard and even said playing him and Kemba together would be "devastating" for opposing defenses. I worry that Pritchard won't be able to guard anyone and thus won't really get on the floor, but hopefully I'm a huge dummy. Anyway, welcome Payton.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,537

Post#97 » by Kalela » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:every year. "i wish we found a shooter like duncan robinson", we draft a knock down shooter "what were we thinking?"

Personally, I never cared for shooters. I want to see a legit defensive big on the Celtics and hoped Ainge would draft one every year instead of undersized "bigs" like Grant Williams, Yabusele etc. Robert Williams comes close to that but he is rarely healthy and even then he gets glued to the bench because Stevens does not trust him.

ParticleMan wrote:
Scoonie wrote:
Kalela wrote:I am not saying he is a bad player but this guy would probably have been available at the 47th pick. Ainge should have traded the 26th pick.

No way would he have been there.

rumors are he had a late 1st guarantee. TOR is the best guess, as an FVV protege.

It was probably the Celtics. I doubt any other team would have reached for him that far.
Fire Mazzulla
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Kalela wrote:

Personally, I never cared for shooters. I want to see a legit defensive big on the Celtics and hoped Ainge would draft one every year instead of undersized "bigs" like Grant Williams, Yabusele etc. Robert Williams comes close to that but he is rarely healthy and even then he gets glued to the bench because Stevens does not trust him.

ParticleMan wrote:
Scoonie wrote:

rumors are he had a late 1st guarantee. TOR is the best guess, as an FVV protege.

It was probably the Celtics. I doubt any other team would have reached for him that far.

Pritchard really wasn’t a reach at 26. Malachi Flynn went at 28 I believe and Pritchard was the best PG left on the board
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#99 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Kalela wrote:

ParticleMan wrote:
Scoonie wrote:

Question: If we rade Hayward for Myles Turner would that do anything to quiet any of your issues about this draft?

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#100 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Fun Fact (since I don't know much about this guy): Payton Pritchard becomes the 4th player in franchise history with the initials "PP", joining Paul Pierce, Paul Pressey, and Phil Pressey.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics