ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread #4

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#161 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#162 » by return2glory » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Not that it matters but out of interest I was looking at places that graded the draft.

One place gave us an A-, 2 places gave us a B, and one gave us a C+.

And it wasn’t a secret after the draft or during that Ainge finally drafted for team need/fit. He got 2 really good shooters.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,868

Post#163 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:15 pm

The thing with Pritchard is that Ainge drafted for now, not for "upside". Pritchard is a 4 year college player, 22 years old. He may not have a high ceiling, but he does nave a high floor, which is important given the uncertain status of Kemba's knee.

To me, Pritchard has Scott Skiles written all over him. He doesn't seem to be the passer Skiles was, but he's probably a better shooter.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#164 » by return2glory » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I will say this about Payton Pritchard. The night before the draft, I was watching film on him. Call it a hunch but for some reason he got my attention so I looked into him more.

I had heard about the parking lot range. But there is more to his game. A lot more. Plays hard, good passer and shooter, can run a team.

But what stood out most about his game was the confidence/swag and emotion he plays with and the ability to make big shots when the game is on the line.

To me, he reminds me of a PG version of Tyler Hero.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,280

Post#165 » by brackdan70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm

On Pritchard. A couple of my friends are U of O grads and follow the Ducks closely. They absolutely love the guy. The common themes in their thoughts are: grit, ability to take over a game and pull out a win, great passer and of course the range from anywhere.
Sign here
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,019

Post#166 » by fallguy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm not upset at all about all this shooting we drafted.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,842

Post#167 » by BK_2020 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

White = Herro or some version of Herro
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#168 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#169 » by Half-Full » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:It was a nothing draft and we drafted nothing prospects.

It takes a lot more than shooting to make it in the NBA as you have to be able to constantly locate and relocate which requires you to have an endless motor... and oh yeah... actually be healthy. Nesmith is a random swing which kind of sums up the 2020 draft in general outside the top 12.

Point blank, Ainge needs 3 of: Nesmith, Edwards, Romeo, Green, Pritchard, Yam to hit.

We can't keep drating complete busts. And 2 of those players are high draft picks that we won't see again for another 4-7 years. This was Ainge's last chance. If not then we'll let him go when Tatum leaves due to not having enough support around him on a team he's carrying to the 4-6th seed treadmill every year and wishing he was a Laker.

Such negativity! Nesmith was a random swing? Jay Bilas says Nesmith is the best shooter in this draft. If not the best, he certainly is a very good shooter, and shooting is an area of need. Another poster characterized his 52% 3-point shooting as a "hot streak," but that was on 115 shots over 14 games! Every scouting report on him says that he is a very good shooter, and the evidence is there to back it up. The Celtics needed a shooter, he is perhaps the best shooter in this draft, so how is this a random swing? Payton Pritchard? Pac-12 player of the year, consensus All-American selection, winner of the Bob Cousy Award as nation's best PG, finalist for the Naismith trophy. A competitive, hard-nosed player with great shooting skills and excellent range. He's a four-year player who is ready to step in. The draft is a crap shoot, and only time will tell if either player will prove to be a valuable pick. To categorize Nesmith and Pritchard as "nothing prospects," however, is beyond harsh.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#170 » by Half-Full » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 pm

return2glory wrote:I will say this about Payton Pritchard. The night before the draft, I was watching film on him. Call it a hunch but for some reason he got my attention so I looked into him more.

I had heard about the parking lot range. But there is more to his game. A lot more. Plays hard, good passer and shooter, can run a team.

But what stood out most about his game was the confidence/swag and emotion he plays with and the ability to make big shots when the game is on the line.

To me, he reminds me of a PG version of Tyler Hero.

This.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,505

Post#171 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

ddb wrote:Boston drafting Nesmith & Pritchard signals something pretty important to me. It signals that Ainge/Stevens truly believe that Jayson Tatum is on the verge of Superstardom. Like a Top 7 level star. For the first time in a long, long time Ainge drafted for fit. He drafted for need. That has NOT been his strategy in the past, reason being because he was trying to rebuild and you rebuild by acquiring picks, drafting the best available player, and pushing forward. So for Ainge to draft Nesmith is clearly says to us all that they have identified what held Boston back from winning a championship last year (shootin, bench depth, center upgrade) and addressed some of that last night.
Nesmith is ready to step right in on day 1 and play a role on this team. The kid is an outstanding shooter. Pritchard will have to earn his role, but he's a gym rat that loves to hoop and will quickly earn the respect of our stars by diving on the floor, making the right play, making a big shot and showing a little emotion.
I fully expect Boston to now focus on upgrading the Center position and adding a veteran free agent that can shore up the bench.

Let's go!!!!!

We drafted for fit except we didn't get a big. I hope that means we'll likely get one for Hayward. I still believe in R Williams too.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,505

Post#172 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Update: I just saw a highlight of Payton Pritchard breaking Lou Dort's ankles and I'm now sold on the pick.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#173 » by gocelts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Danny did another great job. Look at other gems Danny as found; Theis, Williams, Wannamaker.....Danny has any eye for talent anywhere. Look at what he did to Philly trading back and taking Tatum...and taking Smart at 6 when others thought Smart wasnt that good....every year the Realgm Draft "experts" cry because Danny didn't do what they thought he should do...how dare here he....all while Danny keeps fielding a competitive team every year.
~gocelts
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#174 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Danny’s drafts have become real head scratchers . He constantly drafts guys way higher than they were projected . Pritchard is the latest example . We could have gotten him in the second round
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#175 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:Update: I just saw a highlight of Payton Pritchard breaking Lou Dort's ankles and I'm now sold on the pick.

Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#176 » by Scoonie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Payton Pritchard Full Highlights 2.22.20 Oregon vs Arizona - 38 Pts, 6 Rebs, Draft Stock Rising!

This Arizona team had two 1st round picks (Josh Green, Zeke Nnaji) and one 2nd round pick (point guard Nico Mannion).
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#177 » by Cuban Pete » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:33 pm

FWIW, my thoughts...

I loved this draft. 2020 was the deepest draft in my memory. 2019 sucked. Even most of the top end talent was overrated. Not to take away from Danny, but 2020 was idiot proof.

Nesmith was the player I wanted. Elite shooter, solid DRB%, and posted an impressive 2.3 Steal Rate. Yes, his passing is weak and his ball handling can be comical at times, but his role under Stackhouse was to carry the scoring burden on a weak Vandy team. He's not going to be bringing up the ball or facilitating in the NBA. He's arguably the best player in the draft at playing off ball. His role on the Cs will be pretty much the same. He's a true sophomore and therefore has a higher ceiling. As for his foot injury, it was only a stress fracture and he's fine now.

Pritchard has deep NBA range and can be a facilitator. The Cs ranked 25th in assists per game and they really needed one.

Overall, the Cs had to focus on shooting and bench scoring. Before the restart, the Cs ranked 29th in points per game from the bench and dead last in 3-pt attempts per game from the bench. Putrid. So, good job Danny.

Am I disappointed that they didn't get a big? A little, but I still like Theis and timelord should be getting more PT. (I didn't know who timelord was until I looked it up a month ago. Hey, I don't have cable and never reconnected my OTA since I moved. I'm dumping netflix for sling blue soon.) Plus, we all know a trade is on the winds (Horford?).

I stand corrected on Obi Toppin. As I watched him play, along with his upside from his late growth spurt, I was not just convinced that I was wrong about him, but that he's the best player in the draft. The Knicks got a steal. I though GS should have taken him at #2 while playing Green at the 5. I don't expect the Warriors to come roaring back. Klay might be cooked and they are loaded with aging players on horrible contracts.

The Spurs are out of touch with reality. I like Vassell and Tre Jones, but not for SA. They should be focused on the long term like OKC. SA should have tried to maneuver themselves into grabbing both Poku and Bolmaro. The Spurs aren't relevant and won't be anytime soon.

The 2 A+ drafts, IMO, were from Dallas and Denver. I still can't believe Terry fell through the first round. Green was a good pick and Tyler Bey was great value at #36. Moreover, the Mavs signed Nate Hinton to a two way contract.

Denver was a two man team in the playoffs. Grabbing Naji and Hampton was a coup. Additionally, if there was a better pure shooter than Nesmith, it was Markus Howard who was signed to a two way contract.

Why did the Pistons take Saban Lee while Tre Jones was still on the board? Lee was signed to a two way deal. Lee's dad Amp Lee was a NFL backup RB in the 1990s and got a SB ring with the 1999 Rams.
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#178 » by neno » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm

What did we get anything for the 30 Pic
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#179 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Spin Move wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
SeattleMack wrote:

14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.

He showed zero ability to make a play for anyone else, that's what I mean by blackhole. Ball enters his hands, it doesn't leave it unless it's a turnover or a shot. Fine, if he shoots 40% that's great. His shot looks good. Can he get to the rim or beat anyone off the dribble? He's long and tall, but doesn't impress me with his athleticism. People want the next Duncan Robinson, but if Duncan Robinson only shot 40% from 3 he wouldn't even be in the league. Hope I'm wrong.

He is not a shot creator, but that was not his role, his role was to move and shoot and his movement created scoring opportunities for others without him even touching the ball, but he does need to improve as a passer, but that was true of both Tatum and Brown coming out.

Both Brown and Tatum could get to the rack as freshman. And both showed great defensive potential in college which has manifested itself in Tatum being one of the best defenders in the NBA and Brown being very good onball. Nesmith has shown zero ability to put the ball on the floor or be a good defender despite his size. Hope they can get him 10 3s a game, then he'll be worth the pick.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#180 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

So we draft banes and trade him but we say we need shooters . Who’s to say he’s not better than carsen Edwards or waters . I get not wanthing three more rookies and we want to save salary but maybe we just gave away the best player of the three we drafted . I liked vassell and would have packaged pucks to get him
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics