ImageImage

Welcome to Atlanta -- Onyeka Okongwu

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How do we grade the pick of Okongwu for our Hawks?

A
63%
B
25%
C
3%
D
No votes
Fail
9%

Total votes: 32

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Welcome to Atlanta -- Oneyka Okongwu 

Post#21 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I know Spud is losing his mind

I was flinging my body around like a young gymnast in the living room doing cartwheels. :D
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Re: Welcome to Atlanta -- Onyeka Okongwu 

Post#22 » by birdlives_ma » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

jayu70 wrote:
birdlives_ma wrote:Love the kid... not so sure about the fit, especially next to Capela. It was still the right move, as he was the best player available with a good head on his shoulders. I'm just so used to TS grabbing the best player available at our greatest position of need that this feels weird lol.

Best case though; he kills it and makes Clint expendable by the deadline

If we are seriously trying to make the playoffs, we need quality depth.....what would be the point on moving Capela at the deadline? Gwu would have to be Trae like special as a rookie, but again playoffs - depth.

That's totally fair. And as some guys have already said, he should be able to back up either big spot which is nice. I just wonder if it's depth at the right spot? I was a lot more worried about our guard rotation than our bigs. But then again, if big O was the best payer available then you you've gotta go with him
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#23 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
birdlives_ma wrote:Love the kid... not so sure about the fit, especially next to Capela. It was still the right move, as he was the best player available with a good head on his shoulders. I'm just so used to TS grabbing the best player available at our greatest position of need that this feels weird lol.

If we are seriously trying to make the playoffs, we need quality depth.....what would be the point on moving Capela at the deadline? Gwu would have to be Trae like special as a rookie, but again playoffs - depth.

That's totally fair. And as some guys have already said, he should be able to back up either big spot which is nice. I just wonder if it's depth at the right spot? I was a lot more worried about our guard rotation than our bigs. But then again, if big O was the best payer available then you you've gotta go with him

Alex Len, Damian Jones, Bruno, Collins, Jabari Parker and Vince Carter - those were our bigs to start the season last year. Let that sink in for a second :) ...then ask again :D . We now have Capela, Dedmon, Gwu, Bruno, Collins
Hopefully in FAcy we fill the needs at guard and wing.
birdlives_ma
Senior

Post#24 » by birdlives_ma » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

jayu70 wrote:
birdlives_ma wrote:
jayu70 wrote:If we are seriously trying to make the playoffs, we need quality depth.....what would be the point on moving Capela at the deadline? Gwu would have to be Trae like special as a rookie, but again playoffs - depth.

That's totally fair. And as some guys have already said, he should be able to back up either big spot which is nice. I just wonder if it's depth at the right spot? I was a lot more worried about our guard rotation than our bigs. But then again, if big O was the best player available then you you've gotta go with him

Alex Len, Damian Jones, Bruno, Collins, Jabari Parker and Vince Carter - those were our bigs to start the season last year. Let that sink in for a second :) ...then ask again :D . We now have Capela, Dedmon, Gwu, Bruno, Collins

Point well taken :lol: I'll definitely be glad to never have to see Len play again lol.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#25 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Okong could be better than you think.

I think most people see OO as a one dimensional lob defensive player like Bam or Clint or D Jordan, but i think OO can like Kawhi as a rookie, who was drafted as a hustle defensive force, and then he surprised you with his offensive game and his ability to create and end up as an elite two way player

I think in 2-3years, OO will surprise everybody with his offensive game and can maybe produce offensively on the same level as KG and Rasheed.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
birdlives_ma wrote:
That's totally fair. And as some guys have already said, he should be able to back up either big spot which is nice. I just wonder if it's depth at the right spot? I was a lot more worried about our guard rotation than our bigs. But then again, if big O was the best player available then you you've gotta go with him

Point well taken :lol: I'll definitely be glad to never have to see Len play again lol.

Also consider the shortened offseason, no Summer League...as a rookie he's going to have a lot to adjust to in a short time frame to start his NBA career. I think they bring him along slowly, unless like I said he is Trae like from the jump.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#27 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Ok I’m gonna throw a Supes type post up here. I’ll prolly never love Okongwu as much as he loves Horford but here is my quick take.

Okongwu is one of the best and brightest big ken taken in the last decade. In a presumably weak draft, I have Okongwu rated as the 6th best center in the last decade.

1. Anthony Davis
2. Nikola Jokic
3. Joel Embiid
4. KAT
5. Ayton
6. Okongwu (BBIQ higher than any besides Jokic)

Player comparison to me:

Modern day bottom heavy Alonzo Mourning.

BIG, SOFT HANDS. Ala Chris Webber.

Outside of those tradition centers, he also reminds me of some throwback guys for you old schoolers like myself.

Roy Tarpley -He’s got the raw active power inside with explosiveness, Roy was a beast before drugs derailed him.

Wayman Tisdale - Another powerful undersized big man who was powerful and explosive in and around the paint.

Armon Gilliam- Well built big who again played with the big boys and banged inside.

The latter 3 are his floor in my mind.

Bold take: He will be one of the best bigs in the NBA in 3 years. He will make an all defensive team by year 3.

Hawks fans should be very very excited.
birdlives_ma
Senior

Post#28 » by birdlives_ma » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:49 pm

Petition to play this in the arena every time he gets a Block:

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#29 » by azuresou1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Petition to have him wear #7 so that we can call him OO7
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#30 » by shakes0 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:24 pm

I don't understand this argument. We need more than 2 quality players at center and power forward. We need depth. Now we have 3 guys who can rotate at both positions. We can go with Capela/Collins or Collins/OO or go with Capela/OO. We still need more depth than that, but now we at least have a foundation of a frontcourt. There's going to be injuries, foul trouble and fatigue throughout the season. We 100% needed another quality big man. I thought it was our greatest need for the whole team. Back up PG is much easier to find, no need to blow a high lotto pick on that.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#31 » by graymule » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 pm

:lol:

Spud: You were mentioned several times last night on the Squawk after the #6 pick was announced. You got your man!
My favorite west coast team is now the Kings. They took my pick.

:D
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#32 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Couple things that separate him to me is the planting of his feet. His feet are extraordinary. I have a bit of tennis in my background and as we all know by know, sports like tennis and soccer help basketball a ton.

A fat a$$...solid feet and big hands with his motor. :nod:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 pm

graymule wrote::lol:

Spud: You were mentioned several times last night on the Squawk after the #6 pick was announced. You got your man!

Hey Gramps! How are you sir? I was hoping for Okongwu and a lot of emotion was released after we picked him. Thanks for the thoughts. I would have been very happy with Haliburton as he was my top 3 with Okoro. Time will tell but I believe you and a lot of experts are going to be right about Haliburton. Character goes a long way and I think both Okongwu and Haliburton have a winning attitude about them.

The Kings made their best selection since Peja 20 years ago. Seriously good pick. The Suns botched it. The Spurs not so much. Initially I thought OMG, Haliburton and Pop???? But Spurs were smart to cash in on Vassell and take Tre Jones later, Big Bang for their buck. But if you are the Suns, why on earth would you pass up a chance to have Haliburton learn from CP3? :nonono: I thought the Suns had changed.

Anyhoo, say hi to the folks over in the other part of town! :)
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#34 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Petition to play this in the arena every time he gets a Block:

We are going from an era of the highlight factory in 2010 to the block party in 2020. Y’all fans in the front row seats, you might catch a ball, unlike baseball you can’t keep it. Actually check that, Okongwu keeps balls in play due to his smarts. :wink:

Fun zone ahead!
birdlives_ma
Senior

Post#35 » by birdlives_ma » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm

shakes0 wrote:

I don't understand this argument. We need more than 2 quality players at center and power forward. We need depth. Now we have 3 guys who can rotate at both positions. We can go with Capela/Collins or Collins/OO or go with Capela/OO. We still need more depth than that, but now we at least have a foundation of a frontcourt. There's going to be injuries, foul trouble and fatigue throughout the season. We 100% needed another quality big man. I thought it was our greatest need for the whole team. Back up PG is much easier to find, no need to blow a high lotto pick on that.

We don’t have 3 guys who can rotate at 2 positions though, at least not yet. Capela can’t play anything but the 5. O is fast enough to play the 4, but he can’t really shoot yet. I do think he was the best player available, and I like the pick. But the long term fit is weird to me is all.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#36 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:58 pm

A+
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 pm

graymule wrote::lol:

On this note, Supes, Haze and Buzz wanted to acknowledge that I received messages from you all, hoping they were good because I can’t see them without..well you know, actually entering that world again. Miss y’all’s stories!
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#38 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:23 am

Kong will be better than Bam...

Kong at USC 16ppg 8.6rpg, 2.7blocks, 62%FG, 72%free throw
Bam at UK 13ppg, 8.0rpg, 1.5blocks, 59%FG, 65%free throw

OO beats out Bam in every stat in college.

I predict that OO, defensively will be as good as KG, and offensively be as good as Elton Brand or prime Rasheed Wallace.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Post#39 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 am

Yeah loving the pick more and more. Not seeing many weaknesses from this dude & he fits perfectly with the Hawks core.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#40 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:34 am

Schlenk's saying Okongwu is a 5 who may play some 4.

Don't know why the narrative has shifted in the last 24 hours as-if.

He was a college 5. He is an NBA 4.

In 5 years, as he grows, maybe he has the girth to get significant time at the 5.

In the meantime, we seriously need him to add a reliable jumper just to justify him getting minutes.

Return to Atlanta Hawks