ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#81 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Think Duncan Robinson. One elite skill but can fill it up for stretches running around screens or spot up. If he can actually defend he can be valuable fast.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#82 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 pm

Read on Twitter

10K followers in a day. Not bad. Be sure to follow our guy!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,288

Post#83 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:08 pm

It's pretty awesome that we're gonna get real looks at these kids in just about a month. Love this pick.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#84 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#85 » by JHTruth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Hope he gets healthy quick. Foot does worry me. Really hope he can be that shooter off the bench in the short term and starter long term..
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#86 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

JHTruth wrote:Hope he gets healthy quick. Foot does worry me. Really hope he can be that shooter off the bench in the short term and starter long term..

He claims to be 100% healthy in this HoopsHype interview from 9 days ago: https://hoopshype.com/2020/11/10/nba-prospect-aaron-nesmith-jerry-stackhouse-best-shooters-draft-interview/

Obviously, you missed a lot of games during your sophomore year due to injury. Where are you feeling right now in terms of health?

AN: I am 100 percent. I’m back and I couldn’t be happier. No more scans, no more doctors. I’m back, full-go. It’s been a lot of fun. I just can’t wait to play in a game again because it’s already been so long since January. My level of competitiveness is at an all-time high. I can’t wait to go out there and play guys and fight for that win.

He's had ~10 months to recover from a stress fracture in his foot... that should be plenty of time for most situations.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#87 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Another thing to take into account is how valuable having a guy continually running off screen is. Not just for his own shot, but it opens up a ton of action and off ball movement. We saw this with the Heat, if you make the mistake of blitzing the guy coming off the screen, it almost always opens up an easy dunk for a big, or an open three off of swinging the ball.

He also has real size for that style of play, I’m excited for what Brad can draw up.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#88 » by 31to6 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

The Comedian wrote:Another thing to take into account is how valuable having a guy continually running off screen is. Not just for his own shot, but it opens up a ton of action and off ball movement. We saw this with the Heat, if you make the mistake of blitzing the guy coming off the screen, it almost always opens up an easy dunk for a big, or an open three off of swinging the ball.

He also has real size for that style of play, I’m excited for what Brad can draw up.

Right — all the attention that Semi DIDN’T draw, this guy is going to draw. Imagine having to guard JT, JB, Kemba AND stay glued to this guy too? Heads are going to be spinning. Then when he plays with bench players, we can run all those fancy screen plays for him (like Vandy did) and still actually have an offense!

Also talk about leverage for the Hayward situation! We just drafted his replacement.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#89 » by Slax » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

10K followers in a day. Not bad. Be sure to follow our guy!

He wasted no time in turning it into a 100% advertising content feed :lol: Good for him, get that dough my man
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#90 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:44 pm

I thought it was worth reminding everyone on here that not only did Nesmith shoot over 50% from 3pt in 14 games this past season as a sophomore, but in a full collegiate season as a freshman he shot .475%. So this whole abbreviated shooting narrative isn't accurate. The kid can flat out shoot.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#91 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm

We needed this skill set. We have guys who can shoot, but we don't have guys who's shooting alters defense. Tatum/Kemba are good shooters but seem more comfortable off the dribble than spotting up while others have the ball. Smart has made himself into a league average shooter but that doesn't scare defenses. Brown I'd say has become a "good" shooter but again, not someone who moves defense. Semi and Wanamaker had good % but it was fool's gold because it was low volume and only taking a once-in-a-while, wide-open look. Hayward is the one guy who I'd really say spaces the floor for others consistently and he could be gone.

As of right now, if Hayward opts in, I think we figure to have a very young and exciting bench. Nesmith based on NBA readiness, skill set and team need I would hope is a day 1 rotation player.

Kemba / Pritchard... Edwards
Brown / Smart... Langford (will not be ready for camp per Ainge)
Hayward / Nesmith... Semi (assuming option is picked up because it's very movable)
Tatum / Grant
Theis / Timelord / Kanter.... Poirier

Poirier (via waive/stretch provision), Semi (either through declining option or just trading him to a team with cap) and Edwards (hopefully salary dump, but could be released) figure to be the guys to go if we land some veteran help in FA.

I'd love if Langford got healthy and played to potential so we could use Smart as the PG and Langford at SG on second unit.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#92 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:I love this pick. I think Nesmith could be one of the steals of the draft.

He’s like a rich man’s Buddy Hield and to get someone like that in the middle of the first round is a win.

and if he's not injured then he probably goes much higher. Very nice pick. Excited to see what he can do
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#93 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:09 pm

ddb wrote:I thought it was worth reminding everyone on here that not only did Nesmith shoot over 50% from 3pt in 14 games this past season as a sophomore, but in a full collegiate season as a freshman he shot .475%. So this whole abbreviated shooting narrative isn't accurate. The kid can flat out shoot.

I'm going to go a step further here: If he is as good as we think he might be then he makes Brown an expendable piece in a trade.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,062

Post#94 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:

When I tell you that guy is good at his job, I mean it! Those videos on our guys and other players were really good! Love how he broke down their bad too, had guys a little uncomfortable but they seemed to take it in stride. Some seemed like "yeah I messed up but my teammate could been better too" (pritch sometimes hehe)!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#95 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm

No complaining all. Check this out. Dude can shoot the lights out, all 3 levels.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,672

Post#96 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm

The Comedian wrote:Another thing to take into account is how valuable having a guy continually running off screen is. Not just for his own shot, but it opens up a ton of action and off ball movement. We saw this with the Heat, if you make the mistake of blitzing the guy coming off the screen, it almost always opens up an easy dunk for a big, or an open three off of swinging the ball.

One job for Brad -- draw up actions in which the pass is so easy that even Nesmith can make it at proper speed. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#97 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Are Nesmith and Pritchard upgrades over Semi and Wanamaker, at the very least? 'Cos those two were playing significant minutes for us last season. I like Brad more than most but we may not be able to afford him.

This may be the most underrated point of all for those who are harping on these picks. At BASELINE, we did this.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#98 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm

I said this in Pritchard thread. Every year "danny gunna draft another undersized guard who can't shoot" , so he drafts a 6'6" sg who is best shooter in the draft "all this kid can do is shoot, what was he thinking"

What do you get when you get the best shooter in the draft who also is best passer, defender, playmaker and athlete? the first pick. We had the 14th.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#99 » by leper-con » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm

those knee pads he wears make his knees feel 100 years old.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#100 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Are Nesmith and Pritchard upgrades over Semi and Wanamaker, at the very least? 'Cos those two were playing significant minutes for us last season. I like Brad more than most but we may not be able to afford him.

This may be the most underrated point of all for those who are harping on these picks. At BASELINE, we did this.

Nesmith is gonna be better than Semi. Semi couldn't shoot off the dribble and can't drive. He was terrible when teams closed out when he was in the corner. This kid can dribble and drive close out or side step and shoot the 3.

Pritchard isn't better than Wannamker right now. He may be eventually, but Wannamaker is a darn good backup who you can dust the moth balls off after two weeks and he produces.

Return to Boston Celtics