Image ImageImage Image

AK’s first draft pick leaked

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: AK’s first draft pick leaked 

Post#21 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:37 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Why would AK and Evs care about making the media care about if he was being targeted at #3 or not?

Makes it look less like the reach that it obviously was.

They’re brand new, they likely don’t care.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#22 » by Jello Biafra » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Why would AK and Evs care about making the media care about if he was being targeted at #3 or not?

You know Doug, I didn't like the Coby White pick at first. IIRC you didn't either. The reason I didn't like it was because 1) I didn't know a thing about Coby or his game and 2) I'm a middle aged guy with a son who is the exact same age and I didn't like Coby's hair (partly because I don't like my son's long hair and partly because I'm a douche). Coby is now my favorite Bull. I didn't like this pick because 1) I don't know I thing about Pat's game and 2) I don't like his hair with the Dennis Shroeder Josie and the Pussycats stripe in it. I hope he similarly becomes my new favorite player.

Two thoughts on the leak. 1) Bulls doing a PR CYA for taking an unknown at the beginning of the rest of the draft and/or 2) The Pistons gaming the Bulls into taking someone they were pretending to have an interest in to weaken a team in their division.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,584

Post#23 » by DuckIII » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I don’t know if they do or don’t. I’m just saying if they leaked those stories about other teams wanting him, that’s the reason they would have done it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#24 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I don’t know if they do or don’t. I’m just saying if they leaked those stories about other teams wanting him, that’s the reason they would have done it.

This is a Detroit article about them wanting Williams.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/11/18/nba-mock-draft-roundup-detroit-pistons-patrick-williams-killian-hayes/6340919002/

Nearly all the major sports markets had Detroit with Williams. So I dont think the Bulls had to spin it.
The Cult of Personality
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#25 » by Southpaw » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:45 am

To be fair to the FO, thru the whole pre-draft process it has been reported that we're targeting play makers but about 24hrs before the draft it was leaked that we're targeting PatWill. Maybe they did it on purpose to soften the shock of "reaching for PatWill at 4th? Specially if/when they realized they couldn't trade up.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#26 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 am

DuckIII wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

But again, there is no reason for them to. The plan has always been to develop talent. It's widely known he and Evs wanted 2 way guys who could be exciting on offense.

They drafted exactly that. No reason to need to spin it.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#27 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 am

Southpaw wrote:To be fair to the FO, thru the whole pre-draft process it has been reported that we're targeting play makers but about 24hrs before the draft it was leaked that we're targeting PatWill? Maybe they did it on purpose too soften the shock of "reaching for PatWill at 4th? Specially if/when they realized they couldn't trade up.

I think people were just guessing because no one was talking about the Bulls plans and once promises were made, it leaked.
Don't think it was an attempt to soften the blow, the agent likely leaked it to force another team to come up and get his client should the Bulls have traded up.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#28 » by coldfish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:It was out there for a coupe days I think.

First time I actually looked up this guy up when I saw some tweet I think on Monday suggesting he was a target.
I heard it on a KOC pod too, I think he speculated we might reach for the kid, I think even on one of his mocks the last couple of days they had it listed.

It was a reach, all the big analysts last night thought so. The fact the guy was a bench player was most noted.

I'm more concerned that the WCJ for #2 trade leaked and that it didn't happen.

How do we think HE feels today after being dangled yesterday?
I know trades are part of the NBA. But guys want to be wanted and when they hear their names in rumors like this it always seems to be an issue.

I know that the press says that the #4 + WCJ for #2 was offered by Chicago but it just doesn't make much sense. Its a dream scenario for GSW. I seriously think that was leaked from their side. AK says that he didn't consider moving up. That might be a lie but the Bulls giving up that much to move up 2 spots in a weak draft is pretty difficult to believe.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#29 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:53 pm

coldfish wrote:
I know that the press says that the #4 + WCJ for #2 was offered by Chicago but it just doesn't make much sense. Its a dream scenario for GSW. I seriously think that was leaked from their side. AK says that he didn't consider moving up. That might be a lie but the Bulls giving up that much to move up 2 spots in a weak draft is pretty difficult to believe.

Only my speculation but I think that trade was on table till last minute in this sense. But GSW approached Bulls and GSW would for Bulls pick Wiseman, GSW gets their center in WCJ and still pick 4th (maybe really pick Avdija). Bulls likely wanted future 1st pick, maybe protected top 3. Or Paschall in deal. This ofcourse got all out question when Klay got injured and GSW likely changed their approach. They didnt know severity of injury so they didnt want trade pick in likely most stacked draft in this next decade.

And if they did in that scenario they would be starting a rookie and 3rd year player with injury history in WCJ in Western Conference. And it's not like Curry and Green are most durable players either.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#30 » by dougthonus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm

coldfish wrote:I know that the press says that the #4 + WCJ for #2 was offered by Chicago but it just doesn't make much sense. Its a dream scenario for GSW. I seriously think that was leaked from their side. AK says that he didn't consider moving up. That might be a lie but the Bulls giving up that much to move up 2 spots in a weak draft is pretty difficult to believe.

I think WCJ has a chance to make huge improvements this year, but I don't think his ceiling is high. If you thought Wiseman was the next Embiid then WCJ doesn't get in your way. It really just comes down to how much you liked any of those guys. I wouldn't have hated it because I viewed Wiseman as a step ahead of the other guys, but as I've said many times, huge gap between what we've seen and where they are now and only through workouts would you know how much of that was closed.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#31 » by Dominator83 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:04 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:It was out there for a coupe days I think.

First time I actually looked up this guy up when I saw some tweet I think on Monday suggesting he was a target.
I heard it on a KOC pod too, I think he speculated we might reach for the kid, I think even on one of his mocks the last couple of days they had it listed.

It was a reach, all the big analysts last night thought so. The fact the guy was a bench player was most noted.

I'm more concerned that the WCJ for #2 trade leaked and that it didn't happen.

How do we think HE feels today after being dangled yesterday?
I know trades are part of the NBA. But guys want to be wanted and when they hear their names in rumors like this it always seems to be an issue.

He should be a man and get motivated. If we made the offer and GS declined, then that tells him that not only do we think he's replaceable enough to move up 2 spots in a weak draft, but that GS doesn't think he's good enough to justify moving down 2 spots for, and they supposedly liked about a half dozen prospects.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#32 » by Ctownbulls » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:30 pm

If anything, this was the most tight lipped the franchise has ever been about the draft direction. Usually we know weeks in advance who they are targeting (McDermott, Hutchinson, etc.). The Bulls were the complete wild card of the draft until 24 hours before.

In a draft where literally picks 4-14 could have gone in any random order it doesnt surprise me that teams figured out who the bulls were honing in on to try to make a last minute push for their guy which is why we saw rumors of detroit trying to move up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Return to Chicago Bulls