ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#301 » by scopy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Zeno wrote:The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about this pick is his name. Of course this is absolutely stupid but Malachi brings to mind Malachi Richardson and Flynn brings to mind Johnny Flynn. So the name represents a double bust to me that is hard to overcome mentally. But everything I'm hearing and seeing about this kid seems good and of course you got to trust this front office.

This is the logical breakdown I was looking for on Realgm. Finally someone talking sense in this thread.
Rest of you, get your head in the game.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Raptors Realtor
Veteran
And1: 2,851

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#303 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm

scopy wrote:
Zeno wrote:The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about this pick is his name. Of course this is absolutely stupid but Malachi brings to mind Malachi Richardson and Flynn brings to mind Johnny Flynn. So the name represents a double bust to me that is hard to overcome mentally. But everything I'm hearing and seeing about this kid seems good and of course you got to trust this front office.

This is the logical breakdown I was looking for on Realgm. Finally someone talking sense in this thread.
Rest of you, get your head in the game.

Two negatives = a positive...

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,644

Post#304 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Gary Parrish, Matt Babcock, and Avery Johnson love Flynn.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#305 » by Bruin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Given that the season starts in just a month, I just hope these rooks are ready cause they won’t be having a summer league. This class is basically just being thrown into the fire which is great that we took experienced upperclassmen who will find it easier to handle the short turnover.

We’re gonna see what they’re capable of pretty soon with the preseason not to far ahead
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#306 » by Danny1616 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 pm

PrinceAli wrote:Given that the season starts in just a month, I just hope these rooks are ready cause they won’t be having a summer league. This class is basically just being thrown into the fire which is great that we took experienced upperclassmen who will find it easier to handle the short turnover.

We’re gonna see what they’re capable of pretty soon with the preseason not to far ahead

I doubt the rookies get much burn unless we have some injury issues.

This year will be a learning year.

Just sucks we don't have the 905 so they can get more reps.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#307 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:the thing with Flynn is that he can come off screens and shoot (vs Fred who is not known to do that) Lets see how that translates to the NBA. It looks like he's got NBA 3pt range on his shot already. he's ready to contribute.

Flynn has a floater which means he'll be able to get into the paint and not get blocked like Fred lol

Sounds like Mike Bibby.

Mike Bibby was as solid as they come.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#308 » by bboyskinnylegs » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:42 pm

PrinceAli wrote:Given that the season starts in just a month, I just hope these rooks are ready cause they won’t be having a summer league. This class is basically just being thrown into the fire which is great that we took experienced upperclassmen who will find it easier to handle the short turnover.

sucks that these guys won't get the summer league experience, but also cool that they're going to be going straight into a shortened training camp with our coaching staff very soon.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#309 » by Bruin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Danny1616 wrote:

I doubt the rookies get much burn unless we have some injury issues.

This year will be a learning year.

Just sucks we don't have the 905 so they can get more reps.

Jalen probably won’t get much burn aside from garbage time but I can see Malachi getting some rotation minutes at some point this season. Preseason will be a good chance to see what he can do with a few minutes
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#310 » by And1Skip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Gary Parrish, Matt Babcock, and Avery Johnson love Flynn.

This CBS live broadcast of the draft seemed WAY better than ESPN that everyone else struggled to watch.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#311 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

I project him to better. The pick makes sense in the trend towards the "new league style". We need tough defensive guards to chase shooters around screens. We have a great 3/4 defense combo with Siakam and OG. FVV/Davis/Flynn in the backcourt could be a tough defensive backcourt to match.

Flynn will make Siakam better and find Ibaka open looks as Lowry takes a step back. I still want to trade FVV as soon as he is eligble to for a athletic defensive center. I have a feeling Lowry will push his value this year during the regular season and Flynn will be able to fill his role.

The next step will probably be to trade Powell for a back up 4/5 considering Gasol won't be back and we may move on from Boucher, RHJ, and some of the other bench players. Davis is a good replacement candidate for Powell.

Powell and FVV could bring back a max contract. I would predict that Masai may consider trading that for a star like Beal or Booker if there is turnmoil in another locker room next season.

Ibaka/
Siakam/
OG/Watson
FVV/Powell/Davis
Lowry/Flynn

I would still go after Wood with the MLE and hope he chooses winning over a bigger contract but that is unlikely as it is his first big contract opportunity.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,461

Post#312 » by DG88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

;ab_channel=YahooSportsCanada
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#313 » by Jcity08 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:Flynn has a floater which means he'll be able to get into the paint and not get blocked like Fred lol

Sounds like Mike Bibby.

We need Flynn to go from NBA Bibby to Post-NBA Bibby. Get him on that juice. /s

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#314 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:24 pm

We drafted an actual point guard. Wow.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#315 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:how do you pass of tyrell terry and theo

im shocked lol

hes good tho
these guys know more about these players than we do. They have inner details that’s not even known to the public. I wasn’t a big fan of the pick at first and that’s because I simply didn’t know much about the guy until I watched some full games and not just highlights. He looks like a solid player with a high basketball IQ.

Sometimes being set on a pick WE LIKE before the draft can cloud our judgement.

I think the main reason they rated Flynn higher is he better at attacking off pick and roll and getting to the basket which is a nice compliment to FVV and Lowry. Poor Lowry felt like the only guard we had who could get into the paint and score. Flynn will be markedly better and if he gets to his floater spots, he is pretty automatic, better than both Lowry and FVV with his touch.

Terry is more of a catch and shoot guy at this stage and while he finishes at the rim, he doesn't have a lot in his bag to grift his way to the rim at this stage.

Theo is not that quick and so I am not sure he will be great at getting into the paint. His handle is much less than that of Flynn. I like Theo's wingspan, but honestly, he fell because he pretty much projects to be like Frank Nitilkina - a back-up defensive combo guard. Rather have McCaw at this stage.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#316 » by nabbs » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm

The main thing I see about Flynn that sets him apart from Fred is that he isn't as strong as Fred so the defense might not hold up as well at the next level......

BUT

The offensive game, including the PnR game, is more advanced and refined than Fred's. He also has underrated zip and fluidity with the ball.

We got a good one man

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,172

Post#317 » by Steven1562 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 pm

I think this kid is gonna be great. If we resign Fred he's gonna learn from 2 great point guards. He's got the skills. Great in the pick and roll/shooting. Active and disruptive defender. I'm trusting the front office on this.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#318 » by RaptorPride » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm

So a defensive Curry
Spoiler:

MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#319 » by MixxSRC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

So both guys have mid range games?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,461

Post#320 » by DG88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 pm

MixxSRC wrote:So both guys have mid range games?

YES!

Return to Toronto Raptors