ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#101 » by itrsteve » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 pm

The Comedian wrote:Another thing to take into account is how valuable having a guy continually running off screen is. Not just for his own shot, but it opens up a ton of action and off ball movement. We saw this with the Heat, if you make the mistake of blitzing the guy coming off the screen, it almost always opens up an easy dunk for a big, or an open three off of swinging the ball.

He also has real size for that style of play, I’m excited for what Brad can draw up.

IMO the off ball movement is what really raped us with Miami. With Duncan, Herro and Dragon scrambling all over the place; they had our guys in a frenzy.

Admittedly, I did zero homework on Nesmith as I was under the assumption that all these picks were leaving anyway. But I’m thrilled on both 1rd picks. They seem like high character guys that had to claw to where they are today.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#102 » by darrendaye » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm

ddb wrote:I thought it was worth reminding everyone on here that not only did Nesmith shoot over 50% from 3pt in 14 games this past season as a sophomore, but in a full collegiate season as a freshman he shot .475%. So this whole abbreviated shooting narrative isn't accurate. The kid can flat out shoot.

I liked the pick, but this isn't accurate. The 47.5% was his 2pt shot rate, he shot 33.7% from 3 his freshman year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-nesmith-1.html
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#103 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Reminder: Nesmith's great 3-pt shooting stretch in college was at a lower percentage over fewer games than Grant Williams had in the NBA playoffs.

Counter-reminder: Nesmith probably faced a lot more defensive attention on his shots than Grant did.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#104 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

darrendaye wrote:
ddb wrote:I thought it was worth reminding everyone on here that not only did Nesmith shoot over 50% from 3pt in 14 games this past season as a sophomore, but in a full collegiate season as a freshman he shot .475%. So this whole abbreviated shooting narrative isn't accurate. The kid can flat out shoot.

I liked the pick, but this isn't accurate. The 47.5% was his 2pt shot rate, he shot 33.7% from 3 his freshman year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-nesmith-1.html

O damn you're right. I slipped on that one.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#105 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#106 » by itrsteve » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

FIRE AINGE!!!!! OMG AHAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I QUIT WATCHING SP0RTS
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#107 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This, the sample size is not that small , Patrick williams took 50 3's all season Issac Okoro took 70 all season, Nesmith took 115 not that small a sample size.
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#108 » by leper-con » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Analytics darling.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#109 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 pm

I've completely talked myself into Nesmith with just this line in his scouting profile

"Comfortable shooting 3s off the dribble. He has a nice side step and stepback 3 with clean footwork."

Side step and step back 3s are essential if you're going to actually be a 3 point shooter in 2020.

Steal of the draft. He was only not top 10 due to the injury!

The next Duncan Robinson!
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Reminder: Nesmith's great 3-pt shooting stretch in college was at a lower percentage over fewer games than Grant Williams had in the NBA playoffs.

Counter-reminder: Nesmith probably faced a lot more defensive attention on his shots than Grant did.

Grant Williams playoffs was 17 attempts Nesmith was over 100
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#111 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Talking myself into this pick a bit more, perhaps if nothing else but because the reports out there on the kid are that he knows what he is and isn't. If he can commit himself to becoming a better defender, the tools are there. Just pop in Klay Thompson tape and tell him to mimic Klay's every move on both ends. They have pretty similar body types and he does have a decently quick release, though not to Klay's insane level. DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT CALLING HIM THE NEXT KLAY!

I think he's a bit of a high risk pick, ultimately, because if he doesn't shoot at a plus-level he is basically unplayable due to his passing/driving limitations, so let's be damn hopeful/confident that skill does translate. I think it does, I just wish we had more to go on than 14 games against luminaries like Austin Peay and Texas A&M Corpus Christie.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#112 » by AgentGreen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:19 pm

We went for shooting. Obviously Nesmith was the best shooter on the board and probably the best in this draft. So i'm content with this pick.

I think they wanted length + shooting. They probably didn't expect Jalen Smith going that high of the board. Nesmith is the best 2nd option then.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#113 » by AgentGreen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 pm

- Double post
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#114 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Talking myself into this pick a bit more, perhaps if nothing else but because the reports out there on the kid are that he knows what he is and isn't. If he can commit himself to becoming a better defender, the tools are there. Just pop in Klay Thompson tape and tell him to mimic Klay's every move on both ends. They have pretty similar body types and he does have a decently quick release, though not to Klay's insane level. DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT CALLING HIM THE NEXT KLAY!

Message received loud and clear. :clown:
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#115 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 am

SMTBSI wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Talking myself into this pick a bit more, perhaps if nothing else but because the reports out there on the kid are that he knows what he is and isn't. If he can commit himself to becoming a better defender, the tools are there. Just pop in Klay Thompson tape and tell him to mimic Klay's every move on both ends. They have pretty similar body types and he does have a decently quick release, though not to Klay's insane level. DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT CALLING HIM THE NEXT KLAY!

This is artistry.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#116 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:57 am

Honestly in the draft process wasn't a big fan just because I worried about how he was real only a shooter. However, he kept growing on me because he is an ELITE and pure shooter. This isn't just a wing who can shoot well. He's a professional shooter in the mold of a Duncan Robinson or JJ Redick type flying off screens.

6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan is also absurd. He's already an upgrade in the rotation over the likes of a Semi. Imagine those minutes Semi gave us but with a deadeye sniper in the corners that teams actually respect
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#117 » by robbie84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:00 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Meh. He can't do anything off the bounce and has no playmaking. He damn well better defend better than he did in college, or we just got someone along the lines of Troy Daniels.

Or Duncan Robinson on Steroids. Dude shot 52% on 8 attempts a game and has a 7 foot wingspan.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#118 » by 31to6 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:05 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:

This is artistry.

SMT is one of the best posters here, hands down.
Good to have you back!

Re: Nesmith, I’m excited that we have young pups coming in and learning from JB and JT now. They’ll push him to get better on both ends, quickly, and their different personalities seem welcoming. **** Heat culture we’ve got our own, and we’re coming for that crown!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Spin Move » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:13 am

He makes hard 3's, Gaurded 3's stepback 3's sidestep threes, threes in motion off of screen, he numbers were not just off spot up 3's they had a degree of difficulty
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#120 » by Leprechaun18 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Meh. He can't do anything off the bounce and has no playmaking. He damn well better defend better than he did in college, or we just got someone along the lines of Troy Daniels.

You are so picky.

Return to Boston Celtics