Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Bulls sign Devon Dotson to 2-Way Deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Re: Woj: Bulls sign Devon Dotson to 2-Way Deal 

Post#41 » by samwana » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Chi town wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I feel like he's a superior prospect to Jalen Brunson. It's a bit perplexing as to how he went undrafted.

Weird comparison. Brunson is super high IQ and unathletic. Brunson is a winning type of player though and valuable. Dotson is explosive fast. Probably close to Kira at getting to the hoop.

Will be really interesting to see who this vet PG will be to help him and Coby.
I kinda hope it's Rondo, he would be just what both those guys need to learn

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#42 » by Andi Obst » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 pm

I LOVE this move. Had him early second round on my board, but definitely first round upside.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#43 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:Okay that makes sense informally... but what would a guy's leverage in that situation be? Just go play in Europe (but have his rights held forever by that NBA team?).

edit --

If you didn't see it, this article explains the situation quite well and educated me more on it:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ezevwz/the-second-round-of-the-nba-draft-is-broken-but-not-beyond-repair

Effectively, the player who is drafted in the 2nd can sign the tender offer (which is non guaranteed in salary but guarantees him a roster spot if not waived before the season starts). If they do this, the drafting team is forced to take him on or lose his rights.

Pros for the player:
Forces the decision of the drafting team
Can play anywhere if it doesn't work out

Cons for the player:
By the time he is waived it may be too late to catch on elsewhere.

Pros for the team:
None

Cons for the team:
May lose their pick without compensation
May be forced to make a decision before they want

So effectively now, teams / agents are seeing who will agree to what terms to be drafted. A guy who will agree to play in the G-League or overseas for a few seasons then doesn't force the hand of the team that drafted him right away and becomes more valuable than a better player that you know you don't have a roster spot for this season or know needs a few years to develop and then may or may not be good enough.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#44 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:Okay that makes sense informally... but what would a guy's leverage in that situation be? Just go play in Europe (but have his rights held forever by that NBA team?).

No real leverage except that teams probably don't want to draft someone who doesn't want to be there.

I call bull to be honest. American players will report if you draft them.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#45 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

No real leverage except that teams probably don't want to draft someone who doesn't want to be there.

I call bull to be honest. American players will report if you draft them.

See edited version of the post. The player can accept the tender offer and put pressure the drafting team doesn't want to make a decision that year. That's the players leverage to get out which I found from Kodo's post.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#46 » by bad knees » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:35 pm

sco wrote:
bad knees wrote:Here is a chart from Tankathon that compares Dotson statistically to the highest-rated PGs in the draft. There is a lot to like. Needs to work on his 3 pt shot, but based on the tape and these stats, I would say he has legit backup PG potential.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=lamelo-ball--devon-dotson--tyrese-haliburton--killian-hayes--kira-lewis-jr

Thanks. He looked clearly a couple grades below the others in terms of his size and assists, in addition to his 3pt shot and being older. But he could still be decent.

True. He also was significantly better than the others at defense and drawing fouls. The others have higher upside because of their size and age, but Dotson is a player.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#47 » by mtron32 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:37 pm

R3AL1TY wrote:He definitely looks fast as a young Derrick Rose but not as tall nor as a leaper. But his handles, scoring ability, and defense looks legit.

they're both 6'2"
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,058

Post#48 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 pm

mtron32 wrote:
R3AL1TY wrote:He definitely looks fast as a young Derrick Rose but not as tall nor as a leaper. But his handles, scoring ability, and defense looks legit.

they're both 6'2"

Yeah but Dotson is probably more like 6'.5"
ChiSox
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#49 » by ChiSox » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Kira Lewis and Devon Dotson are close in quickness, speed and athleticism. Dotson was close to breaking the record in one of the test to measure athleticism at the combine. Decision making, passing and shooting are his weaknesses. He was only a sophomore at Kansas and can/will improve.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#50 » by R3AL1TY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
mtron32 wrote:

they're both 6'2"

Yeah, they appear to be a little generous with how his height is listed. He looks as tall as Trey Burke or CP3.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#51 » by mtron32 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
mtron32 wrote:

they're both 6'2"

true, we'll have to get the young fella some lifts.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#52 » by RememberLu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 pm

Just like young Derrick Rose...in that his outside shot is shaky.

But if you want to endear yourself to the Chicago fan base before even setting foot on a basketball court, just tell them you grew up idolizing Derrick Rose. Works for me. I'm rooting for you kid.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 715

Post#53 » by chicago paxsons » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 pm

With not keeping dunn and harrison and signing dotson, it seems like ak is focusing on adding offense and speed to the backcourt as opposed to defense. He wasn't lying about wanting to play fast.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
ChiSox
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#54 » by ChiSox » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Dotson outplayed Tyrese Haliburton this year when they played against each other.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#55 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 am

Had my eye on Markus Howard from Marquette as an option but I think everyone was turned off by his height despite leading the NCAA in scoring
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 126

Post#56 » by Bulldog23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 am

Seems solid, he is better than Arch. He can make the rotation on this team. The Bulls definitely need another point guard, maybe a trade for a veteran guard.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#57 » by PhilLeotardo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:Had my eye on Markus Howard from Marquette as an option but I think everyone was turned off by his height despite leading the NCAA in scoring

Huh? Howard was snagged by Denver. It was a brilliant pick up for them

I’ll bet they got to him first before anyone else. Their bench has the size & defense to mask his deficiencies

I absolutely wanted Howard too, but I’m fine with Dotson
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#58 » by Chi town » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Good game against Hali...

othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 751

Post#59 » by othawhitemeat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 pm

ChiSox wrote:Kira Lewis and Devon Dotson are close in quickness, speed and athleticism. Dotson was close to breaking the record in one of the test to measure athleticism at the combine. Decision making, passing and shooting are his weaknesses. He was only a sophomore at Kansas and can/will improve.

I don't know if he lacks decision making. He seems to have a pretty solid bball IQ.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#60 » by Dresden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 pm

I like this pick. Super quick pg's seem to do well. We had DJ Augustine and Nate and a couple others I can't recall, and they all helped a lot with the second team scoring. And like others have said, having him and Coby out there together will be a real fast backcourt.

Return to Chicago Bulls