ImageImageImage

Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#81 » by MN7725 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Behind the Scenes of the Timberwolves’ Decision to Draft Anthony Edwards
https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/19/21575235/nba-draft-anthony-edwards-minnesota-timberwolves

Interesting nugget:
The teenager grew an inch during the never-ending predraft process that stretched from March to November, another reminder of just how many ways he still has to grow. Edwards is now 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds with a 6-foot-10 wingspan. He’ll be one of the strongest and most powerful shooting guards in the NBA, while ranking in the 89th percentile among players at the position in running vertical leap and the 100th percentile in 3/4 sprint.

that's what its ultimately all about, 1% athlete that hasn't played basketball full time that long, so skill level can increase quite a bit

He's got to be able to use that athleticism to get to the rim/FT line, way more than he did in NCAA, hopefully the NBA spacing will allow him to do that right away

It's cool he can get a shot off pretty much whenever he wants but that can become a flaw like it did for Wiggins since it can result in bad pull ups
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Baseline81 wrote:I wondered whether he'd try for 5 (Beasley's number) or choose another.
Read on Twitter

I like him wearing #1. He's one of the few to ever be drafted #1 overall in the NBA. Wear it with pride. :D
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#83 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Hes built like a tank. Hes gonna be so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 pm

minimus wrote:I hope that Edwards can immediately impact the game with his rebounding ability, even if we might play smallball, guards must play big. It drove me crazy when Wiggins despite all his physical tools did not care about helping teammates and cleaning the glass. Watch this game, how decisive Edwards was when he rebounded the ball.

Rubio is also a solid rebounder. Overall, with KAT back, improved perimeter defense around Okogie, Rubio, Culver I would like to see commitment to rebound as team, which might unlock transition to fast break. With Edwards, Vanderbilt, KAT, Culver, Okogie we MUST run in transition harder and more often.

If Vanderbilt earns PT he is a rebounding MONSTER and will have a huge impact in improving our rebounding problem.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#85 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 pm

urinesane wrote:
Again, I'm not copping out, I didn't like him as the pick pre-draft, but he's with the Wolves now, so I 100% want to be wrong about him. I think adding Rubio was a brilliant move and will really change the environment and dynamic of this team.

I'll agree with this but it will require he has a higher efficiency from 3 soon or else he's hurting the team more than helping.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#86 » by gandlogo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Physically, I see Edwards creating mismatches similar to Zion. Too strong for some - too explosive for others. Zion's motor was never questioned, but to view him even before the draft as a player without issues (no right hand, inconsistent jump shot, not a threat from 3, keeping weight where it needed to be) would have been wrong. Edwards is very young and grew up in an environment far different than the vast majority of people judging him. Let's give him a chance to show who he is before we label him. He has the tools to be dominant - if he gets there the Wolves are going to have a beast at a position they need a beast to compete in this league.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#87 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Again, I'm not copping out, I didn't like him as the pick pre-draft, but he's with the Wolves now, so I 100% want to be wrong about him. I think adding Rubio was a brilliant move and will really change the environment and dynamic of this team.

I'll agree with this but it will require he has a higher efficiency from 3 soon or else he's hurting the team more than helping.

Unlike LaMelo, his shot is pure, it's just a matter of drilling into him shot selection and making him work within the offense. Which shouldn't be too difficult, because he doesn't have to be THE ENTIRE OFFENSE like he was in college. Way less hero iso ball and way more KAT/DLo/Rubio creating good shots for him to knock down.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#88 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm

urinesane wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Unlike LaMelo, his shot is pure, it's just a matter of drilling into him shot selection and making him work within the offense. Which shouldn't be too difficult, because he doesn't have to be THE ENTIRE OFFENSE like he was in college. Way less hero iso ball and way more KAT/DLo/Rubio creating good shots for him to knock down.

I hope everyone is right about all this stuff. But I also know some players have a mindblock or coldblock whatever you want to call it if they aren't heavily involved. We really don't have any idea how well or poorly he's going to react to playing off ball full time with two much higher game IQ players leading him. I"m hoping for the best at this point while being adament once again this year that he shouldn't continue to be overloaded with minutes if it's clear early on it's not going as planned. The minutes until it works thing isn't for everyone and it's not for every season for Teams. Sometimes it needs to be about winning more and players that need it developing from the side or from bench. Said it last year with Culver and they tossed the season salad on giving him leading minutes for too long. James Harden played from bench for three years, even if his minutes quickly climbed to a high average. That alone takes some pressure off. They need this pick of all picks to work out. I'll try not to harp on it again this year but I'm posting now. Don't allow this one to bust early.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#89 » by moonpie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:11 pm

moonpie
General Manager

Post#90 » by moonpie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Love hearing that DLO reached out to Edwards last night
moonpie
General Manager

Post#91 » by moonpie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 pm

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Jedzz wrote:
urinesane wrote:

He shot poorly in college. Fact. However, his shot looks great and I think he has a very good chance of coming around with better selection and less double and triple teaming.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#93 » by Norseman79 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 pm

moonpie wrote:Apparently, according to The Ringer podcast, Edwards is now 6'6, 230 w/ a 6'10+ wingspan

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2020/11/19/21575235/nba-draft-anthony-edwards-minnesota-timberwolves?__twitter_impression=true

If this is legit, and that is barefoot/no shoes, I love this pick even more. Who knows how much more growing he has to do, only 19
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#94 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
moonpie wrote:Apparently, according to The Ringer podcast, Edwards is now 6'6, 230 w/ a 6'10+ wingspan

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2020/11/19/21575235/nba-draft-anthony-edwards-minnesota-timberwolves?__twitter_impression=true

If this is legit, and that is barefoot/no shoes, I love this pick even more. Who knows how much more growing he has to do, only 19

I'm sure it's the in shoes measurements. They have to get rid of those. Even in shoes that makes him a bigger than average SF.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#95 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 am

moonpie wrote:Love hearing that DLO reached out to Edwards last night

Get in the gym soon like CP and Booker did very next day. Just no achilles issues please.
moonpie
General Manager

Post#96 » by moonpie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#97 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 am

KGdaBom wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Congratulations wolf pack on getting Edwards!!!

I've been watching Antman for years now. I have no doubt in my mind he is going to be on the same level as Mitch Richmond and Bradley Beal, or a rich man's Isiah Rider.

Don't worry about his 3pt shot, he will be hitting 40% from three and 80% from the free throw line in a year or two and he will be an all star for +10 years down the road.

What can we say. We hope you're right. However if you want to trade us Okongwu and Hunter for him we would listen.

That's a big NO for Hunter. If its OO and Huerter for Antman, then maybe, but Atlanta fans are loving Hunter so far.
moonpie
General Manager

Post#98 » by moonpie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 am

I think the press conference is tomorrow?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:00 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Congratulations wolf pack on getting Edwards!!!

I've been watching Antman for years now. I have no doubt in my mind he is going to be on the same level as Mitch Richmond and Bradley Beal, or a rich man's Isiah Rider.

Don't worry about his 3pt shot, he will be hitting 40% from three and 80% from the free throw line in a year or two and he will be an all star for +10 years down the road.

What can we say. We hope you're right. However if you want to trade us Okongwu and Hunter for him we would listen.

That's a big NO for Hunter. If its OO and Huerter for Antman, then maybe, but Atlanta fans are loving Hunter so far.

I prefer Hunter to Huerter. So it's a big no to Huerter.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#100 » by Baseline81 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:37 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves