14%

Total votes: 85

Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#141 » by Dual » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Heimdal wrote:I'm shocked at how many fans think Rubio is going to be a backup. Really? Do you envision Saunders not starting Rubio? IMO he, Russell and Towns are guaranteed starters. 2 forward spots up for grabs.

I’m shocked that it seems shocking to you. My thought DLo is the starting PG, that’s what we brought him in to be.
I think Rubio is past the point in his career where it’s a meaningful designation. Maybe he will end up starting, I just don’t see why he would have to.

You don't take a guy who earns 17 millions to be backup PG. It don't make sense at all.
He will start as Russell can play both spots and in today's NBA having multiple ballhandlers is normal and Ricky can also guard SGs.
Also this team needs Ricky, they need defense, competitiveness and a big mental change, and that's why I think they bring Ricky back.
This team had the talent but not the other things that makes you a playoff team.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#142 » by Heimdal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Heimdal wrote:I'm shocked at how many fans think Rubio is going to be a backup. Really? Do you envision Saunders not starting Rubio? IMO he, Russell and Towns are guaranteed starters. 2 forward spots up for grabs.

I’m shocked that it seems shocking to you. My thought DLo is the starting PG, that’s what we brought him in to be.
I think Rubio is past the point in his career where it’s a meaningful designation. Maybe he will end up starting, I just don’t see why he would have to.

Rubio and Russell are the starting backcourt. Rubio has been sharing duties with Mitchell (who is playing PG now) and Booker (who averaged 6.5 assists and basically just had the best and most efficient season of his career sharing the court with Rubio). I don't see a reason why it's not going to work with Russell.

Also, Rubio is not past the point of anything. He also had a career season and is trending up. I might be wrong about him starting but I seriously doubt it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#143 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
shangrila wrote:Theoretically trading for Rubio wouldn't cost us Johnson.

If we renounce everyone, according to TradeNBA, we'd have just under 13mil of capspace. Toss Spellman, Evans and Nowell in and that would get us to 18.3, enough to take in Rubio's contract. And while I might need to verify with shrink I think we'd get some kind of exception even after using capspace, which might be enough to re-sign Juancho.

This is assuming we don't want or don't care about the rest, which would mean Beasley's legal issues are serious and that we don't want to spend on McLaughlin to be essentially a 3rd string PG. It probably won't happen, as trading JJ is far simpler, but it's an interesting option. JJ+Rubio as veteran leaders could go a long way for us.

According to ESPN, Johnson was included in the trade for Rubio.

Yeah I read that last night, but it seems to be unofficial.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#144 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm

Dual wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

You don't take a guy who earns 17 millions to be backup PG. It don't make sense at all.
He will start as Russell can play both spots and in today's NBA having multiple ballhandlers is normal and Ricky can also guard SGs.
Also this team needs Ricky, they need defense, competitiveness and a big mental change, and that's why I think they bring Ricky back.
This team had the talent but not the other things that makes you a playoff team.

We also have a first overall pick who plays shooting guard, along with potentially Beasley. Not everyone can start.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#145 » by Baseline81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Yeah I read that last night, but it seems to be unofficial.

It's official.
Read on Twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#146 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 pm

thinktank wrote:
Klomp wrote:Something worth considering.....has Rubio ever played with this type of floor spacing? DeAndre Ayton doesn't space the floor. Rudy Gobert doesn't space the floor. Gorgui Dieng didn't space the floor when he started next to Towns or when he split time at center with Pekovic. In Spain, he's usually playing with the Gasol brothers.

Hi Klomp. What exactly do you mean by "this type of floor spacing"?

When I look at our roster I see KAT, Beasley, and Jauncho, but I don't see too much other spacing (Dlo at ~35% 3FG%).

For players that shoot high volume of 3s Russell actually has a very high percent. Also just shooting them spaces the floor regardless of percent made.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#147 » by Dual » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Dual wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

We also have a first overall pick who plays shooting guard, along with potentially Beasley. Not everyone can start. If Beasley leaves it becomes more of a possibility, otherwise I think you have to start Russell at the point and either Beasley or Edwards at SG.

What is better for the team ofc. I see Edwards playing some SF, his strength is impressive.
We will see.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#148 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 pm

It's interesting how people thought LaMelo could work fine with DLo, but somehow don't think Rubio will...

If LaMelo had put up Rubio type numbers for the Wolves we'd have been thrilled, but now we get a better Rubio coming back to a much better roster situation than the Wolves ever had around him.

I'll take the real thing over a generic knockoff Rubio (LaMelo).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#149 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:
minimus wrote:Other than Booker in PHO, Rubio helped Donovan Mitchell a lot in UTA. Hope it will happen with Edwards in MIN.

I think this is the biggest reason I love bring Ricky back. He will help Edwards and Culver so much on the court. When guys get easy buckets their attitude and self esteem shows. These two need someone to help them more then anyone of the roster and Rubio is that prefect Lego piece.

Great post. Yet according to some Ricky makes it harder for his teammates to score. :noway: :crazy: :nonono: :banghead:
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#150 » by Heimdal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

If you listen to this clip, Krawczynski, who broke the Rubio deal last night, says due diligence was done to see if he's ready to be that supporting character. Rubio is apparently comfortable coming off the bench if he has to.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/7c0babc1

Yeah, but one thing is being smart and checking out on his readiness (now and in the future), and another is expecting him to be the backup day 1.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#151 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 pm

urinesane wrote:It's interesting how people thought LaMelo could work fine with DLo, but somehow don't think Rubio will...

If LaMelo had put up Rubio type numbers for the Wolves we'd have been thrilled, but now we get a better Rubio coming back to a much better roster situation than the Wolves ever had around him.

I'll take the real thing over a generic knockoff Rubio (LaMelo).

I don’t know if you think I’m implying Rubio won’t work with DLo, because that’s really not what I’m implying.
Just that we have a lot of guards, and it may make more sense to start a PG with SG as opposed to two PGs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#152 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Heimdal wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Rubio and Russell are the starting backcourt. Rubio has been sharing duties with Mitchell (who is playing PG now) and Booker (who averaged 6.5 assists and basically just had the best and most efficient season of his career sharing the court with Rubio). I don't see a reason why it's not going to work with Russell.

Also, Rubio is not past the point of anything. He also had a career season and is trending up. I might be wrong about him starting but I seriously doubt it.

Heimdal for a Ball Boy you're pretty smart. :D
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#153 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:57 pm

I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.

I also think Ricky will have the least ego coming off the bench. So if that is an issue he would have no problem run as a 6th man.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#154 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Dual wrote:You don't take a guy who earns 17 millions to be backup PG. It don't make sense at all.

Johnson was a backup last year. So was Dieng.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#155 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Dual wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

We also have a first overall pick who plays shooting guard, along with potentially Beasley. Not everyone can start.

It's starting to hit me that Edwards will be primarily an SF not an SG. He's much bigger than Okogie and Culver.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#156 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:
I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.

That was the rotation in Utah with Rubio.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#157 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Klomp wrote:
Dual wrote:You don't take a guy who earns 17 millions to be backup PG. It don't make sense at all.

Johnson was a backup last year. So was Dieng.

Not the same thing. Apples to oranges. If Booker and Rubio can co-exist on the court than Russell and Rubio should also be able to.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#158 » by PharmD » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 pm

urinesane wrote:Previously on Ricky Rubio...

<3
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#159 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:

I also think Ricky will have the least ego coming off the bench. So if that is an issue he would have no problem run as a 6th man.

That’s probably the biggest thing. Either Rubio or Russell needs to always be out there. They’ll play together some, and it doesn’t matter if Rubio starts, but Rubio will essentially have to be Russell’s backup.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#160 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Yeah I read that last night, but it seems to be unofficial.

It's official.
Read on Twitter

Johnson opting in makes it 99% official. Has the paperwork been filed with the league?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves