ImageImageImage

Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Re: Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property) 

Post#261 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 pm

I will puke if the Wolves trade Beasley after adding Edwards, McDaniels, and Rubio in Free Agency and push for what is likely going to be the most 3-heavy system in the league with Morey out of Houston.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#262 » by theGreatRC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thank GOD!

Listen, i'm a father myself (1 year old, so not too far from Beasley's kid I think) and when I read he had a gun "pointed" in his kid's direction, I literally said "what the ****" out loud...so I get what people are saying about him on this board, I really do. I think he's got some problems with the wrong crowd, he also has a crazy baby mama, but he's a grown man that can make decisions for himself and he's not making the right ones..

With that being said, if he can get out of these legal issues, Wolves need to have a sit down with him and tell him to focus on basketball, collect his checks and that's it..

He has that type of work ethic that I LOVE from a player, he wants to be great and I hope he can do it on this team..that tweet from Jon makes me optimistic.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,817

Post#263 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This sounds about right.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Post#264 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Cool. Forget the new thread.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#265 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:11 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thank you Klomp. That was madness. The question is will any team say heck with the legal stuff and make him a strong offer anyway. If that happens I believe we will not match.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,700

Post#266 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm

For the love of God, just keep him for the season, dont complicate things.

We need this shooting BADLY:

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#267 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:For the love of God, just keep him for the season, dont complicate things.

We need this shooting BADLY:

Trade him for Randle or Bobby Portis. Randle perimeter game is respectable now. And Portis is a stretch 4. Or maybe offer him to Orl for Gordon. Or toronto for Ibaka.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,982

Post#268 » by wolves_89 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wolves not going to pay him.

We just added two big salaries in Rubio and Edwards.

We need cap for a starting power forward

As long as Rosas sees Beasley's contract as an asset he will be back. Since so few teams have cap space, I would strongly bet on Beasley returning.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Post#269 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

The talent level is so high. I'm not joking when I say he can be the best 2 guard we have ever head. His production will put guys like Martin, Ricky Davis, and Sprewell to shame.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,890

Post#270 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#271 » by Calinks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We will see, I was thinking a few games at first then did some research and it could be way more. I'm gonna guess it's about 5-10 games. Would be surprised with 3 or less would be surprised with 20 or more, that's severe but not out of the realm of possibility.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#272 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I want nothing, but the best for Malik and this seems like good news.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#273 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We will see, I was thinking a few games at first then did some research and it could be way more. I'm gonna guess it's about 5-10 games. Would be surprised with 3 or less would be surprised with 20 or more, that's severe but not out of the realm of possibility.

Do you expect the league to do anything prior to the legal stuff being completed?
Dosadi
Ballboy
And1: 45

Post#274 » by Dosadi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:46 pm

It is hard to predict from afar, but this type of postponement in the Civil (not criminal), Pre-Covid world typically means the Judge has been informed that a negotiated resolution is being meaningfully discussed between both sides. I'm curious to see what happens next.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#275 » by Calinks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:09 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Do you expect the league to do anything prior to the legal stuff being completed?

I assumed he would get with one to start the season but yea, maybe the NBA is waiting to see what the outcome is. They should have all the info they need though right now with their own investigation. That said, they may be seeing if anything new comes to light.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#276 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Dosadi wrote:It is hard to predict from afar, but this type of postponement in the Civil (not criminal), Pre-Covid world typically means the Judge has been informed that a negotiated resolution is being meaningfully discussed between both sides. I'm curious to see what happens next.

By negotiated resolution do you mean Beasley paying them off?
Dosadi
Ballboy

Post#277 » by Dosadi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dosadi wrote:It is hard to predict from afar, but this type of postponement in the Civil (not criminal), Pre-Covid world typically means the Judge has been informed that a negotiated resolution is being meaningfully discussed between both sides. I'm curious to see what happens next.

By negotiated resolution do you mean Beasley paying them off?

Possibly but not necessarily. MB's legal team could negotiate with the State and as part of the negotiation with respect to the threat/drugs charge, agree to have MB confess to a lesser charge(s) and in return, the State would recommend a reduced/suspended sentence to the Judge for the confessed charge and drop the other charges. Such a negotiation would not necessarily have to involve the alleged victims. The reasons for such negotiations vary greatly - for example, a proof problem for the State or a mutual desire to avoid a trial (but for different reasons). I'm not suggesting either in this case, merely listing 2 of potential myriad reasons why these matters are negotiated in certain cases.

Separately, paying off the "alleged victims" of the "alleged threat event" to resolve any civil case might allow those individuals to withdraw their support for existing criminal charges. We've all read about such private settlements appearing to impact specific criminal charges. But if such a payment is completed, it likely wouldn't impact the DA prosecution of the drug charges because those charges exist by the presence of the drugs at the site, and not due to any alleged action directed at a third party.

And any such a confession has to be understood in conjunction with the impact of such a confession upon the parenting termination charges brought by Hennepin County. Different governing entity.

Note - the above is not intended to be legal advice.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Post#278 » by shrink » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Dosadi, thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

I have been wondering if Minnesota’s minimum sentencing laws would be in effect here?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dosadi
Ballboy

Post#279 » by Dosadi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 pm

shrink wrote:Dosadi, thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

I have been wondering if Minnesota’s minimum sentencing laws would be in effect here?

Note - I've not been paying much attention to the facts of the MB case. And the facts, as you would expect, matter alot (amounts/type of drug/did you bring it into state etc). So take the following with a grain of salt. And AGAIN - this is NOT LEGAL ADVICE - IF the drug charge is 5th degree, and IF he's not had a prior 1rst or 2nd degree drug felony (which I believe is the case- he's not had one), and IF the amounts were small enough and IF there was no weapon involvement, I think the 2016 revisions suggest that he can avoid a mandatory minimum. Note this doesn't necessarily mean avoiding jail - just avoiding the mandatory sentence length. IF I recall, I think the new table suggests between a 6 month and 1 year and 1 day incarceration for 5th degree conviction + a No Prior 1st/2nd conviction (and assuming no other prior criminal history) and it would be expected that such a sentence would be stayed at the discretion of the court. But again, there are exceptions for amounts/types/concomitant conduct (i.e weapons). And I've not looked at this type of thing for a few years... So apologies if I'm off - this is from memory.

One thought - over 2/3 of the MN inmate population is there b/c of substance violations...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#280 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Dosadi wrote:
shrink wrote:Dosadi, thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

Note - I've not been paying much attention to the facts of the MB case. And the facts, as you would expect, matter alot (amounts/type of drug/did you bring it into state etc). So take the following with a grain of salt. And AGAIN - this is NOT LEGAL ADVICE - IF the drug charge is 5th degree, and IF he's not had a prior 1rst or 2nd degree drug felony (which I believe is the case- he's not had one), and IF the amounts were small enough and IF there was no weapon involvement, I think the 2016 revisions suggest that he can avoid a mandatory minimum. Note this doesn't necessarily mean avoiding jail - just avoiding the mandatory sentence length. IF I recall, I think the new table suggests between a 6 month and 1 year and 1 day incarceration for 5th degree conviction + a No Prior 1st/2nd conviction (and assuming no other prior criminal history) and it would be expected that such a sentence would be stayed at the discretion of the court. But again, there are exceptions for amounts/types/concomitant conduct (i.e weapons). And I've not looked at this type of thing for a few years... So apologies if I'm off - this is from memory.

One thought - over 2/3 of the MN inmate population is there b/c of substance violations...

It was reportedly 2 pounds of marijuana so not a small amount.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves