ImageImageImageImage

Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu 

Post#21 » by drsd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Clark earned this!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,316

Re: Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu 

Post#22 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:24 pm

TheGlyde wrote:So what are we looking at right now?

G: Fultz, Anthony
G: Fournier, Ross
F: N/A
F: Gordon, Aminu, Okeke, Clark, Isaac
C: Vucevic, Bamba, Birch
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#23 » by TheGlyde » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Knightro wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:So what are we looking at right now?

G: Fultz, Anthony
G: Fournier, Ross
F: N/A
F: Gordon, Aminu, Okeke, Clark, Isaac
C: Vucevic, Bamba, Birch

I see what you are saying but I don't really agree we can't play any of your 5 listed PF's alongside one another.

In the modern NBA, where positionless basketball is more commonplace, smallball is rife... and there are two ends to a basketball court.

AG can certainly guard 3s and handle most any switch, and I have confidence Okeke will in time as well. If AG is here opening night I would wager we see a fair bit of them on the court together and that it works out okay.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#24 » by Xatticus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:46 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm almost positive Iwundu will get a guaranteed contract somewhere this offseason.

Gary Clark is a fine backup/third string PF, but he's also the 4th PF on the roster right now and that doesn't even include Jonathan Isaac.

I smell a trade.

I don't get it. Clark had a terrible net rating. He's very limited offensively. He shoots nothing but threes. He doesn't really rebound well. His legs are too stiff to give him any defensive versatility. I don't really dislike him, but there isn't much there. Iwundu seemed infinitely more necessary for this roster.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#25 » by Max Power » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

I really can’t stand Weltman and Hammonds style of building a team. We’ve been saying for a year that we need some scoring at the 3 spot, so we draft a pg yesterday and today we let the only 3 on the roster walk. Iwundu had grown on me during the last season. He’s mainly an effort guy but he did make a lot of plays for us on defense and made an occasional big shot. I wish we had kept him. There’s got to be something brewing on the 3 spot, I don’t think we have much cap so I smell a trade or a signing way out of left field.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#26 » by FFBlitzace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 pm

I like Iwundu and feel like he was still improving. I wouldn't have expected the Magic to let him go like that. But it's possible he wanted an opportunity elsewhere. I felt like Clifford underutilized him through the year and only played him once injuries dictated it, despite Wes playing well at the end of the previous season and probably feeling like that should have earned him an opening night spot in the rotation.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#27 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Xatticus wrote:I don't get it. Clark had a terrible net rating. He's very limited offensively. He shoots nothing but threes. He doesn't really rebound well. His legs are too stiff to give him any defensive versatility. I don't really dislike him, but there isn't much there. Iwundu seemed infinitely more necessary for this roster.

With Iwundu gone and Clark staying, it almost has to mean Gordon is on the move for a 2/3, right?

Clark sticks around as PF depth behind Okeke/Aminu.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,273

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:This means that this front office, best known as turniing late picks into good players- failed to do only thing they are good at for 3rd straight year , as orlando now has 0 players drafted in second round that are on active roster :lol:

Ownership should be looking for new front office after next year. This guys are ready to retire.
I made semi- joking comment back in 2017 that they signed with Orlando to steal money before team actually figures they have no intention to do anything... Man... that joke didn't age well.

I don't get why you are upset with them. They've been doing what you've wanted. Trying to win every game... playing vets over young players... getting a retread coach... fighting for that 8th seed... resigning Vuc... not trading Evan... These are all moves you supported.

So why complain about the quality of their draft picks if you are not on board with building through the draft?

Was the payoff of making the playoffs worth missing out on Nesmith getting selected one pick ahead of us?

If they actually try to win some games right move was there to be made yestarday- trade pick for Luke Kennard and finally get some shooting,given, if Luke can stay healthy and play, witch is question mark at this stage, still way more talented than 95% of first round last night.
Second , if they are serious about winning games, they would actually solve their SF issue.

if you remember, i wanted to move to 8-11 range to secure Nesmith as pick, that was my trade proposal. it's not my fault that front office has no idea what they are doing other than - not doing much ( or anything ) from year to year.

Who's Magic youth player that was destroyed by lack of playing in Orlando and who went later to achive amazing things in his career? Oladipo had biggest green light to do whatever the *** he wanted when he was there .But he was more interesting in dancing and singing than playing. Before he met Westbrook he couldn't even put himself on proper diet.

Others? Payton, Hezonja, Harris, Nicholson... all hall of famers that Magic ruined :roll:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#29 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
Xatticus wrote:I don't get it. Clark had a terrible net rating. He's very limited offensively. He shoots nothing but threes. He doesn't really rebound well. His legs are too stiff to give him any defensive versatility. I don't really dislike him, but there isn't much there. Iwundu seemed infinitely more necessary for this roster.

With Iwundu gone and Clark staying, it almost has to mean Gordon is on the move for a 2/3, right?

Apparently Fournier wants out...
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#30 » by Skin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:34 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:This means that this front office, best known as turniing late picks into good players- failed to do only thing they are good at for 3rd straight year , as orlando now has 0 players drafted in second round that are on active roster :lol:

Ownership should be looking for new front office after next year. This guys are ready to retire.
I made semi- joking comment back in 2017 that they signed with Orlando to steal money before team actually figures they have no intention to do anything... Man... that joke didn't age well.

I don't get why you are upset with them. They've been doing what you've wanted. Trying to win every game... playing vets over young players... getting a retread coach... fighting for that 8th seed... resigning Vuc... not trading Evan... These are all moves you supported.

So why complain about the quality of their draft picks if you are not on board with building through the draft?

Was the payoff of making the playoffs worth missing out on Nesmith getting selected one pick ahead of us?

If they actually try to win some games right move was there to be made yestarday- trade pick for Luke Kennard and finally get some shooting,given, if Luke can stay healthy and play, witch is question mark at this stage, still way more talented than 95% of first round last night.
Second , if they are serious about winning games, they would actually solve their SF issue.

if you remember, i wanted to move to 8-11 range to secure Nesmith as pick, that was my trade proposal. it's not my fault that front office has no idea what they are doing other than - not doing much ( or anything ) from year to year.

Who's Magic youth player that was destroyed by lack of playing in Orlando and who went later to achive amazing things in his career? Oladipo had biggest green light to do whatever the *** he wanted when he was there .But he was more interesting in dancing and singing than playing. Before he met Westbrook he couldn't even put himself on proper diet.

Others? Payton, Hezonja, Harris, Nicholson... all hall of famers that Magic ruined :roll:

Those are all Henny's guys. My problem with WeHam is their continued reliance on the other Henny guys.

Normally new GMs come in and clean house. Not us. WeHam came in and said, "I LIKE THIS TEAM!" The one trade for Fultz was miraculous. Which ironically you hated. Give me more of that. Flip this team. Go young, collect assets, dump bad contracts, get high picks. When those high picks mature and our cap has cleared, then FAs will want to play with our young studs. It's that simple. We keep extending guys from the previous regime further clogging up our future cap space and preventing our draft picks from getting playing time that they need. It's wack.

We should've traded AG and Nik before their extensions. We should've gotten rid of Fournier any way possible. Now we're spinning in circles going nowhere and ending up with non-lottery picks hoping that they become saviors. It's ridiculous.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#31 » by Darth Magic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Second time I've seen this. Where is this coming from?
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#32 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 am

Darth Magic wrote:Second time I've seen this. Where is this coming from?

Read on Twitter
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#33 » by Darth Magic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 am

Interesting development
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#34 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 am

Darth Magic wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:

mhmm ok now im thinking this is fake since its saying 20th pick and we were 15th. Lemme check
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#35 » by Darth Magic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

mhmm ok now im thinking this is fake since its saying 20th pick and we were 15th. Lemme check

I think it's power rankings and not draft order. It seems legit.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#36 » by fendilim » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 am

Iwundu is ok.... but on another team.

Our team needs shooters and Iwundu only clogs the paint even more.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,920

Post#37 » by MagicMatic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 am

Xatticus wrote:
Knightro wrote:I'm almost positive Iwundu will get a guaranteed contract somewhere this offseason.

Gary Clark is a fine backup/third string PF, but he's also the 4th PF on the roster right now and that doesn't even include Jonathan Isaac.

I smell a trade.

I don't get it. Clark had a terrible net rating. He's very limited offensively. He shoots nothing but threes. He doesn't really rebound well. His legs are too stiff to give him any defensive versatility. I don't really dislike him, but there isn't much there. Iwundu seemed infinitely more necessary for this roster.

But here I thought the 45th pick was for a coveted roster spot per Weltman.

I refuse to believe Clark is better than Paul Reed or Nwora.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#38 » by Ducklett » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 am

34 seconds ago – via Zach Harper @ The Athletic
League sources say Evan Fournier is trying to find his way to a team like the Clippers, Suns or Nuggets.
MORE ON EVAN FOURNIER TRADE?
25 seconds ago – via Hoops Rumors
Also in Windhorst’s latest Hoop Collective podcast, he and colleague Zach Lowe identified the Kings and Magic as two teams that may be looking to get a little younger this offseason rather than being content with competing again for the No. 8 seed. Nemanja Bjelica was identified by Lowe as a possible trade candidate to watch in Sacramento, while Windhorst added that Orlando would likely be open to moving Evan Fournier.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#39 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:44 am

Knightro wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:Second time I've seen this. Where is this coming from?

Read on Twitter

I mean.. What league sources though? Whos Omar? 20th pick? I mean. I'd understand if he wants out but I dont see any legit sources reporting this yet.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#40 » by The Effect » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:09 am

Damn, that's a mistake, iwundu at 2m is great value and is the type of player and contact we need to offset the horrible deals we have

And those just makes it even worse that we didn't use our 2nd rounder,

Return to Orlando Magic