2020 Draft winners / losers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Re: 2020 Draft winners / losers 

Post#21 » by juanc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am

clyde21 wrote:Denver nabbing Josh Green and Tyrell Terry in the 2nd, and then trading for Josh Richardson and Tyler Bey is my clear winner tonight...massive draft

You probably mean Dallas.

I realy think that the Mavs have had a HUGE night. Love all 3 prospects and alsothe addition of Richardson. Just great.

I also can't belive that Haliburton dropped to 12. I have him as a top3 player in this draft.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#22 » by jezzerinho » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Spurs, Kings, Pistons and Mavs (tho I don't like Green much) had good nights.

Very early to label losers but I don't like the first 4 picks of the draft much.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#23 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Quiet winners were the Wizards. Snagged Deni at 9, then got a top 30 player in Winston at 53 after trading down from 37 with OKC, netting them a solid 2021 2nd.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Catchall wrote:
eminence wrote:Utah - Azubuike and Hughes

Do not have us as winners at first glance. I kinda like Udoka and think he really could be solid, but a weird fit for us, hope he's ready to go on the bench at least since we shipped out Bradley. Hughes doesn't seem like a guy who sticks longterm in the league.

The Jazz did what they wanted to do. They had Udoka high on their board. They liked Hughes. They wanted Bradley off their payroll.

So that was their goal.

They ultimately passed on Hampton, McDaniels, Bolmaro, Bey and others to get pieces that fit with their current roster.

Now they'll target a couple guys in free agency.

I thought it was odd that Utah - of all teams would pick Azubuike - since they already had the best giant in the NBA - much less pick him in the 1st round. I would have liked to have seen him used as a 15 or so minute a game changeup big in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:Might be me being from Europe but OKC somehow getting both of Poku and Maledon seems like a huge win for them.

Not to mention Krecji. I think both he and Maledon are draft and stashers - they were definitely thinking long-term in this draft. Poku might be the steal of the draft - I thought that was easily their best pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#26 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:Might be me being from Europe but OKC somehow getting both of Poku and Maledon seems like a huge win for them.

Not to mention Krecji. I think both he and Maledon are draft and stashers - they were definitely thinking long-term in this draft. Poku might be the steal of the draft - I thought that was easily their best pick.

With the amount of picks they have I think it's a smart move to go for high upside prospects this early in the rebuild process. They'll get enough opportunities to draft surefire contributors in the coming drafts, now is the time to look for gems that can carry the team next to SGA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#27 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Dallas and OKC
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#28 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:27 pm

The Wizards are the big winners of the draft. I think Avdija will turn out to be the best player from this class when it's all said and done. Can't believe he fell to 9th. I also like OKC's draft.

The Hornets are definitely the biggest loser. I will be shocked if LaMelo isn't a bust.

The Clippers did pretty good despite only having second-round picks. I could easily see both Oturu and Scrubb contributing in the league.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#29 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

juanc wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Denver nabbing Josh Green and Tyrell Terry in the 2nd, and then trading for Josh Richardson and Tyler Bey is my clear winner tonight...massive draft

I realy think that the Mavs have had a HUGE night. Love all 3 prospects and alsothe addition of Richardson. Just great.

I also can't belive that Haliburton dropped to 12. I have him as a top3 player in this draft.

I don’t see it in Haliburton sorry.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#30 » by nolang1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm

76ers got the BPA at 2 of their 3 picks and were able to get out of some bad money for better-fitting players without costing them too much in terms of future picks. Spurs, Kings, and Thunder got players in my top tier outside of the top 7, which to me is ultimately what winning the draft is about - nobody cares who the Bucks drafted in the 2nd round in 2013.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

juanc wrote:

yes Dallas.

here are my winners overall:

Dallas -- Josh Green, Tyrell Terry and Tyler Bey (also got Josh Richardson)

Spurs -- getting Devin Vassell at 11 and then Tre Jones in the second are both major steals

Denver -- just by virtue of getting RJ Hampton at 23, they got another steal like they did last year with Bol

Philly -- Tyrese Maxey and Isaiah Joe are good fits, also got Seth Curry via trade...loaded up on shooting and Maxey is a top 10 guy for me.

Sac did well getting Hali at 12 and I like the Nico pick for the Warriors in the 2nd, otherwise everyone else did kinda meh.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:The Wizards are the big winners of the draft. I think Avdija will turn out to be the best player from this class when it's all said and done. Can't believe he fell to 9th. I also like OKC's draft.

The Hornets are definitely the biggest loser. I will be shocked if LaMelo isn't a bust.

The Clippers did pretty good despite only having second-round picks. I could easily see both Oturu and Scrubb contributing in the league.

the problem with Deni is not his high iq passing in transition and his mobility upside defensively...the problem is that is all he does good.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#33 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Their front office is on another stratosphere when it comes to this drafting stuff. OKC is building a war chest on paper but Den is doing it on the court.

They need to sell high on MPJ before his health issue catches up with him. Just a matter of time before their assets nets them a top 20 player in a trade.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#34 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Denver didn’t do that Dallas did. denver got Hampton who might be Dante Exum 2.0.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,537

Post#35 » by Kalela » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 pm

Celtics draft was horrible. Team is screaming for an athletic big and they passed on a bunch of them to draft PGs and SGs.
Fire Mazzulla
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#36 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

Kalela wrote:Celtics draft was horrible. Team is screaming for an athletic big and they passed on a bunch of them to draft PGs and SGs.

I'll be honest, I don't think Ainge drafts very well overall. However, I do actually like the Peyton Pritchard pick and Aaron Nesmith pick in this draft.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#37 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 am

stitches wrote:I absolutely hate what the Jazz did in this draft. I think we are wasting picks and treading water. And the worst thing - we are not learning - you just had to give up a good second in order to dump the previous 90s type center who you drafted to backup Rudy. ANd now 3 years after the previous bust at center you drafted... you do the exact same thing. WTF? Just horrible.

The Jazz front office guys are talking like Azubuike is practically the next Shaq. Their whole draft strategy--from trading back to #27, to adding a 2RP, to dumping Bradley, to drafting a wing in the 2nd--was based around getting Udoka and getting Bradley out of his way.

It also shows that the Jazz are tweaking their roster around the edges rather than looking to make sweeping changes.....well, that or they just really didn't like this draft.

They could have taken the day off, played golf all afternoon, and waited for RJ Hampton to fall in their laps. Instead, they decided that no, they've just got to have Azubuike.

As for Elijah Hughes, he's interesting. He's got a bid of Rodney Hood and a bit of JR Smith in him. He could become a starter eventually.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,078
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:32 am

I love that the Pels got a high upside, explosive guard, and stockpiled future picks for better drafts.

My dream of Pat Williams was dashed so fast

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#39 » by King Ken » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Everyone who got better is the winner. The end
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#40 » by King Ken » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Catchall wrote:
Kalela wrote:Celtics draft was horrible. Team is screaming for an athletic big and they passed on a bunch of them to draft PGs and SGs.

I'll be honest, I don't think Ainge drafts very well overall. However, I do actually like the Peyton Pritchard pick and Aaron Nesmith pick in this draft.

He reminds me of Danny Ferry as a GM.

Return to NBA Draft