ImageImageImageImageImage

Immanuel Quickley to the Knicks @ 25

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Re: Immanuel Quickley to the Knicks @ 25 

Post#161 » by FreeSpiritNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:QUICKLEY WILL BE QUICKLEY OUT THE LEAUGE. 6'3 shooting guard. Should have went after bane or cassius or tyrell ... Once again knicks have no idea what they are doing. we do this every time. We try and make a roster build for the era before. If knicks are a bottom 5 teams im changing teams

He’s an excellent shooter that can defend with a great wingspan for his size as well. He has a role he can immediately step in and play

He has good length for his size. The thing is he is small for the position he plays. If he was a pg then awesome but he is definitely not a pg. The thing is just because he has good length he will be playing against shooting guards with the same length of him but with a bigger body.

IQ definitely is not the right pick for the knicks if we dont even have a pg.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#162 » by Fat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 pm

FreeSpiritNY wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:QUICKLEY WILL BE QUICKLEY OUT THE LEAUGE. 6'3 shooting guard. Should have went after bane or cassius or tyrell ... Once again knicks have no idea what they are doing. we do this every time. We try and make a roster build for the era before. If knicks are a bottom 5 teams im changing teams

He’s an excellent shooter that can defend with a great wingspan for his size as well. He has a role he can immediately step in and play

He has good length for his size. The thing is he is small for the position he plays. If he was a pg then awesome but he is definitely not a pg. The thing is just because he has good length he will be playing against shooting guards with the same length of him but with a bigger body.

i mean over in cleveland there running a back court duo no taller than 6'2 between gardland and sexton

Raptors have ran small back courts with lowry and vanvleet

i dont think its that big of a deal especially if hes got a flamethrower and producing out there.
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#163 » by knickstape4ever » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:42 pm

2k gotta fix his face
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#164 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

i mean over in cleveland there running a back court duo no taller than 6'2 between gardland and sexton

Raptors have ran small back courts with lowry and vanvleet

i dont think its that big of a deal especially if hes got a flamethrower and producing out there.

Yeah dudes that shoot that well play in today’s nba. Teams figure it out. To boot IQ is not a defensive liability so he’s definitely going to play.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,392

Post#165 » by Synciere » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 am

K-DOT wrote:Bold prediction is he has a Tyler Herro season.

Yeah if I were a betting man I’d pick Maxey to break out before IQ.. I watched those early Kentucky games.. Macey had that Donovan Mitchell feel... where even if it wasn’t the most efficient he was the best player on the court.. Maxey had that early, but Quickley took that over later in the season.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#166 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Last season you went completely savage on RJ after two summer league games just because you wanted to stake a position, not because you knew what you were talking about. You need to give these guys a chance to get acclimated against NBA competition before you start making these kinds of declarations

The knicks drafted him. That means he will suck.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#167 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm

I feel like him and RJ should balance each other well. RJ will be the Primary ball handler and Quickley will be more off the ball shooter type.
AkiliNYK
Sixth Man
And1: 53

Post#168 » by AkiliNYK » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:25 pm

I keep reading guys talking about him being a two guard he just played that roll in Kentucky because Maxey could not shoot and Cal wanted to go with a 3 guard line up playing to Maxeys strengths and utilizing Quickleys shooting. Quicklys played PG post of his life.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,142

Post#169 » by The Lamma » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:Pretty cool that Immanuel's initials are "I.Q.", too. If he's any good we can just call him The Genius or something along those lines.

GOAT initials. I think by themselves that's a great nickname already.

That shooting vid you posted was a sight for my weneedshootingsofckingbadlysore eyes.

One miss in forty 3pt attempts?! Hell yes
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#170 » by jermsknicks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 pm

This guy can shoot the ball. What I noticed is his teammates reaction when he gets an open shot. It's like they know the shot is automatic and going in.

Just imagine every Knick fans reaction right b4 Novak shot an open 3!

ABOVE_THE_RIM
Junior
And1: 50

Post#171 » by ABOVE_THE_RIM » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

So deal ends up being Quickley, 2023 2nd & rights you Mathias Lessort who looks like a beast. Hope they bring him over. His energy is needed. Even if it’s at the end of the bench & in French lol.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#172 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:20 pm

i went from head scratcher to all in on this kid. he's a better idea than everyone else i had in mind, including my sweet terry. my bad, perrin gang.

if you buy his shooting (which i do), you can't pass. he's criminally slept on and serves a perfect role. i'd start him.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#173 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:i went from head scratcher to all in on this kid. he's a better idea than everyone else i had in mind, including my sweet terry. my bad, perrin gang.

if you buy his shooting (which i do), you can't pass. he's criminally slept on and serves a perfect role. i'd start him.

That was not a normal gym video. He's the sniper we've been praying for. Wonderful pick-up and better than Terry
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#174 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Handledatruth wrote:This guy could be a future 50-40-90. These guys are not easy to find. If he's at least a consistent Wayne Ellington I'm cool with it. Especially at 25.

i dunno about the 50 part
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#175 » by denterprise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:51 pm

If Quickley can bring us some of the excitement we got from Novak when he came off the bench, I would be happy. Anything else would just be icing on the cake for now.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#176 » by DOT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Shame Burks gonna steal all his minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#177 » by karkinos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm

just like how herro was underrated in the last draft and people claiming he had a limited skill set, i think the same goes for IQ. when you're playing in a back court with hagans and maxey, there is a lot of redundant overlap skillwise, and he was forced to narrow what he can really showcase. he was able to mold himself into a solid reliable 2 guard for kentucky last season.
he is a gamer imo.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,307

Post#178 » by cgmw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm

K-DOT wrote:Shame Burks gonna steal all his minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

So you’re saying the Knicks won’t develop an IQ?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#179 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Breaking this out from the FA thread and bringing it here:

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Orange Mamba wrote:Is Quickley more of a 1 or a 2?

Recruited as a PG prospect, used more off the ball like a 2 at Kentucky because of depth/all the guards

His highlights look very "2" to me, but I'm no scout and maybe the PG ability is there to unlock

You can call him a combo guard

Because of the way the UK system can obscure true talents in their players, I was trying to find scouting reports on him when he was being recruited out of The John Carroll School in MD.

There's not much out there I can find without a subscription, but we know he was the 25th ranked prospect in the nation, and was classified as a PG. Here's some scouting on him his senior year:

6'3" Immanuel Quickley, who won a gold medal with USA Basketball last summer at the FIBA World Championship in Spain, brings excellent size, length, change of pace, and defensive understanding for his relatively young age of seventeen. The weakness, opponents would say, was his three-point shot, but the Maryland native's spent hours in the gym refining his technique and trying to perfect it through repetition.

If anybody has ESPN+, they can get the rest of this report:

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/216435/immanuel-quickley

Strengths:
He's a true point guard with great positional size (6-foot-3.5) and length (6-foot-8 wingspan). He has a high I.Q., good instinctive feel for the game, is very fluid with the ball, equally adept at handling to both sides, and a dependable decision maker and good passer in a variety...

And this profile I found, too:

https://inthegymrange.com/high-school-basketball-player-profiles-immanuel-quickley-1-3-17/

Quickley is a true point guard who has prototypical size for the position. He is 6’3″ and has a 6’8″ wingspan. While evaluating Immanuel Quickley, we see a player who has an advanced feel for the game. He seems to be always in control of his team. Because of his size he is able to see over a defense. He is more substance than flash, which is a good trait. The PG makes the correct passes and decisions when needed. He is a superb ball-handler. Quickley is a good but not an elite athlete. However, he sports a very high basketball IQ, which is what a point guard needs to have.

The Maryland native has very solid shooting fundamentals at this stage in his development. He scores in a variety of ways and has extended his shooting to the 3-point line. Since Quickley is very adept at scoring while attacking the rim, developing a consistent mid-range and 3-point shot will be necessary. It will keep opposing defenders from playing off him. The silky smooth PG changes speeds beautifully, which keeps his opposing defender guessing. Being able to score with both hands allows him to score while going up against bigger defenders. This will benefit him once he heads off to college and faces better competition and bigger players.

John Calipari stresses defense. Quickley has the capability to become a strong on ball defender. He has the lateral quickness and size to succeed in one on one match ups. Like most of the top point guards in the high school ranks, he is lethal in the transition game. When he grabs a defensive rebound, Quickley is a sight to see as he pushes the ball very well and either takes it to the rim and scores or passes to a player who can.

As previously mentioned, he isn’t the elite athlete that many 5-star prospects are. This doesn’t concern us as it may other analysts. Immanuel Quickley is simply an outstanding point guard. The number 15th ranked player in the class of 2018 makes very good decisions with the ball in his hands. He can knock down contested and uncontested shots. He has intangibles that are crucial for a point guard and aren’t measured in a box score. The players on Kentucky are going to love playing with Quickley. He is a player who makes everyone around him better. He has a very bright future ahead of him.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#180 » by karkinos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
If anybody has ESPN+, they can get the rest of this report:

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/216435/immanuel-quickley

Spoiler:
ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/16/2018

Strengths:
He's a true point guard with great positional size (6-foot-3.5) and length (6-foot-8 wingspan). He has a high I.Q., good instinctive feel for the game, is very fluid with the ball, equally adept at handling to both sides, and a dependable decision maker and good passer in a variety of situations. He can see and pass over the defense, feeds the post beautifully, makes basic reads off the ball-screen, and throws ahead in transition. He makes open shots to the arc and is a generally competitive defender who moves his feet relatively well and uses his length effectively. There's more value in his intangibles as he's a worker with humility and the type of point guard that his teammates like playing with.

Weaknesses:
He's not quite as dynamic with the ball as some of the other five-star point guards in the class and so not quite as valuable in late clock situations. He's a good, not great, athlete who relies on his size and length more so than his burst to create playmaking opportunities and hasn't yet shown a ton of craft as a finisher in traffic. He's a consistent shooter with his feet set but not yet the type of guy who can make tough shots on a regular basis. Defensively, he tends to be better playing gaps and angles than he is pressuring the ball away from the basket.

Bottom Line:
Quickley isn't the most dynamic or creative of the five-star point guards, but he may be the most reliable. He's a true floor general with great positional size and length who distributes the ball, makes good decisions, knocks down open shots, defends, and brings a wealth of intangibles.

Return to New York Knicks