ImageImage

#60 - Sam Merrill - Utah State

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,133

Re: #60 - Sam Merrill - Utah State 

Post#121 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:Just now watching highlights. This MF'er can shoot it. Sheesh.

I don't even have a comp because he's shooting it off the bounce, off catches, knows when to attack close outs.

Is he Ray Allen-lite?

More the like the next Ray Allen, IMO
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,523

Post#122 » by drone3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 pm

emunney wrote:
Prez wrote:How is he defensively, is he playable in a series against a good team

He was not terrible (solid overall, even), but it's not hard to find clips where he looks like a ghost chasing Pac-Man.
He struggles against quicker guys, biggest issue is he can not get around screens.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#123 » by xTitan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 pm

The Wet Whistle wrote:What if we just kidnap Luka, leave behind Sam, and see if anyone notices?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using RealGM mobile app

They wouldn’t
xTitan
RealGM

Post#124 » by xTitan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Merrill put up something like 27 points against Dort 2 years ago. Dort was a demon in the bubble and considered the best defender in college 2 years ago.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#125 » by emunney » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:57 pm

xTitan wrote:Merrill put up something like 27 points against Dort 2 years ago. Dort was a demon in the bubble and considered the best defender in college 2 years ago.

Just looked it up. Dort had 33 on 15 FGAs. Career high!

At any rate I am optimistic about Merrill's offense.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
xTitan
RealGM

Post#126 » by xTitan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 pm

emunney wrote:
xTitan wrote:Merrill put up something like 27 points against Dort 2 years ago. Dort was a demon in the bubble and considered the best defender in college 2 years ago.

Not sure how good Merrill can be on defense, but he never covered the other teams best scorers because he was indispensable....the fact he scored 27 on Dort is amazing.
emunney
RealGM

Post#127 » by emunney » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm

xTitan wrote:
emunney wrote:

Not sure how good Merrill can be on defense, but he never covered the other teams best scorers because he was indispensable....the fact he scored 27 on Dort is amazing.

Watching it now. I'll let you know.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#128 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 pm

I personally could have used a bucket from Sam against Boise in their monumental collapse pre-pandemic last year, but I won’t hold it against him. They were all iced. Fun game to watch highlights from if you’re looking for footage.
Go Bucks!
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,111

Post#129 » by giannis and 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Am I dumb for thinking him looking a little chubby is a positive?

Like if he loses some weight, he should be quicker and more athletic, and therefore a little better at perimeter defense and driving to the rim.

Whereas if he was thinner in college, he would have already had these attributes and would not have been available at #60.

Maybe I'm over analyzing.
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,523

Post#130 » by drone3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 pm

giannis and 1 wrote:Am I dumb for thinking him looking a little chubby is a positive?

Like if he loses some weight, he should be quicker and more athletic, and therefore a little better at perimeter defense and driving to the rim.

Whereas if he was thinner in college, he would have already had these attributes and would not have been available at #60.

It's wishful thinking, he's not going to magically morph into a better defender
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,111

Post#131 » by giannis and 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 pm

drone3 wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:Am I dumb for thinking him looking a little chubby is a positive?

It's wishful thinking, he's not going to magically morph into a better defender

Well I don't see him reaching Holiday level or anything. But maybe improves enough to be adequate at the NBA level?
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
xTitan
RealGM

Post#132 » by xTitan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Somebody posted a vid of Merrill saying he is down 15 pounds and his body fat has gone from something like 14% to 9% since last season.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,884

Post#133 » by Fotis St » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 am

xTitan wrote:

Somebody posted a vid of Merrill saying he is down 15 pounds and his body fat has gone from something like 14% to 9% since last season.

Yep that was me , I really like what I saw from Day 1 of scouting this Draft Class. 9% he said , I heard all this interview, it looks like he is smart , he has been adviced to prepare his body and he executes.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
emunney
RealGM

Post#134 » by emunney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 am

emunney wrote:
xTitan wrote:
emunney wrote:

Watching it now. I'll let you know.

I have more detailed notes on my computer but I'll give my takes from my phone:

- He did match up with Dort quite a bit both ways. Dort had him almost every possession. He had Dort less than half the time, but enough to see that he was physically overmatched. That said, he competes. He's not Jimmer or one of these guys who just loafs off ball. He drew one charge and probably should have had another.

- Offensively, he's everything to them, like we knew. He's just very difficult to defend. Very sneaky off the ball and a constant red alert with the ball in his hands. Uncanny sense of the defender's balance, blew by Dort more than once. He's got all the skills and knows what to do with them.

Overall, I think we're looking at a guy who is not likely to be more than Matt Thomas in the NBA, but who can likely run a G League team and could get more than spot minutes in certain matchups. If his body is radically different to the extent that his athletic performance has dramatically improved, that could change his outlook.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#135 » by JEIS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:20 am

Are they trading this dude? They don't even have him on the bucks website... Just promoting the other pick.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,590

Post#136 » by ShootingtheJ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 am

xTitan wrote:
emunney wrote:

He guarded the best scorer his entire senior year.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#137 » by mattg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 am

He can definitely shoot. Who knows, maybe he can hang with the pace of the NBA in spite of his lack of athleticism. Some guys are able to do better than expected because the NBA court is more spread and open than college. Worth a shot, especially since our guard depth is thinnnnnnn as of now.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#138 » by tski1972 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 am

JEIS wrote:Are they trading this dude? They don't even have him on the bucks website... Just promoting the other pick.

It’s part of the Jrue deal, not official yet.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#139 » by DrWood » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 am

I've seen each of our draftees play well. something I can't say for all of the first round picks.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#140 » by DrWood » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am

I think he could take Korver's minutes (960 this past year), which would be great for a rookie.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks