ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread #4

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#181 » by ddb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm

brackdan70 wrote:On Pritchard. A couple of my friends are U of O grads and follow the Ducks closely. They absolutely love the guy. The common themes in their thoughts are: grit, ability to take over a game and pull out a win, great passer and of course the range from anywhere.

I really like the range from everywhere thing. I've noticed that about him as well...My concern is that he'll struggle to get his shot off in the NBA, but in Boston with Tatum and those guys around him he's going to get open shots. Between Pritchard & Nesmith life just got a lot easier for Jayson Tatum. Now imagine if Danny can bring in a big man that can set awesome picks, roll, and finish lobs..hopefully can space a bit too. forget it. Tatum is going to have an MVP caliber season ahead
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,547

Post#182 » by playa-hater » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 pm

I think for me this draft was so underwhelming BUT NOT because Boston drafted Nesmith (A+) for me, and NOT because of PP. PP may turn out to be as good as we hope he can be (maybe) but there was so much talent and need that Boston could have taken a chance on.

pick 30 would have been a great opportunity to take a "good gamble on Otoro. a very long and strong defensive Big who can hit 3 pointers. Or draft 2 extremely versatile WINGS in T Bey and Woodard. and pick 47 there was also solid 1st rd talent there, With P Reed and N Mannion amongst others..

I guarantee in a few years, we will see how many good players could have had, and didn't even try for.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#183 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:14 pm

ddb wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:On Pritchard. A couple of my friends are U of O grads and follow the Ducks closely. They absolutely love the guy. The common themes in their thoughts are: grit, ability to take over a game and pull out a win, great passer and of course the range from anywhere.

I really like the range from everywhere thing. I've noticed that about him as well...My concern is that he'll struggle to get his shot off in the NBA, but in Boston with Tatum and those guys around him he's going to get open shots. Between Pritchard & Nesmith life just got a lot easier for Jayson Tatum. Now imagine if Danny can bring in a big man that can set awesome picks, roll, and finish lobs..hopefully can space a bit too. forget it. Tatum is going to have an MVP caliber season ahead

The range is encouraging. He also seems pretty good at moving without the ball. You see him give it up, relocate, and then shoot off the catch a lot. I don't think there's much upside as a P&R handler, but maybe against bench units with his range, but I think he will be decent off-ball.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#184 » by DoubleHappiness » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 pm

I have said this before. Trading out of 30 was a no brainer because we have so many young guys. Rather take two equal swings on non-guaranteed contracts down the line or package it with something else. People getting bent out of shape over 30 are massively overvaluing that pick.
DoubleHappiness
Analyst

Post#185 » by DoubleHappiness » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Also, interesting to see what the date of 2021's draft is going to be. We may have even less information on some of these prospects.

Guys like Haliburton were known commodities. We had tape on his freshman season, and the only reason he surged up draft boards was his time at U19 Team USA opened a lot of eyes first.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#186 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:46 pm

Scoonie wrote:Payton Pritchard Full Highlights 2.22.20 Oregon vs Arizona - 38 Pts, 6 Rebs, Draft Stock Rising!

This Arizona team had two 1st round picks (Josh Green, Zeke Nnaji) and one 2nd round pick (point guard Nico Mannion).

Already knew this because I watch a **** ton of CBB but what really stands out is his deep range on threes. Not only he is a 40% 3PT shooter but he takes some tough ass ones. Also has the ball on a string where you can really see it in transition, very similar to Kyrie's.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#187 » by VeryMuchWoke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 am

This appears to be old, but its an interesting watch.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#188 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:45 am

DoubleHappiness wrote:I have said this before. Trading out of 30 was a no brainer because we have so many young guys. Rather take two equal swings on non-guaranteed contracts down the line or package it with something else. People getting bent out of shape over 30 are massively overvaluing that pick.

it was stupid. It means Danny Ainge is a horrible evaluator of talent. Think about that for a second. He looked at Robert Woodard, Tyler Bey, Cassius Stanley, Tyrell Terry, Theo Maledon, Daniel Oturu, Vernon Carey, Desmond Bane, Paul Reed and Tre Jones and thought..."nah...we're set with Carsen Edwards, Grant Williams, Romeo Langford, and Semi Ojeleye" This isn't an isolated instance either. Danny has been doing this for 17 years. It's time for a change. Anyone that bad at evaluating talent has no business being in charge of acquiring players for your team. Anyone defending it is as bad at evaluating talent as Danny. Sadly that constitutes 95% of this board. People are laughably more upset that we took Pritchard than us passing on all of the above players. It's actually kind of pathetic. How he has so many apologists is beyond me. It really is remarkable.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
DoubleHappiness wrote:I have said this before. Trading out of 30 was a no brainer because we have so many young guys. Rather take two equal swings on non-guaranteed contracts down the line or package it with something else. People getting bent out of shape over 30 are massively overvaluing that pick.

it was stupid. It means Danny Ainge is a horrible evaluator of talent. Think about that for a second. He looked at Robert Woodard, Tyler Bey, Cassius Stanley, Tyrell Terry, Theo Maledon, Daniel Oturu, Vernon Carey, Desmond Bane, Paul Reed and Tre Jones and thought..."nah...we're set with Carsen Edwards, Grant Williams, Romeo Langford, and Semi Ojeleye" This isn't an isolated instance either. Danny has been doing this for 17 years. It's time for a change. Anyone that bad at evaluating talent has no business being in charge of acquiring players for your team. Anyone defending it is as bad at evaluating talent as Danny. Sadly that constitutes 95% of this board. People are laughably more upset that we took Pritchard than us passing on all of the above players. It's actually kind of pathetic. How he has so many apologists is beyond me. It really is remarkable.

Exactly like you said if they had just picked Bol Bol, Naz Reid, Or Isiah Roby year they would have made the Finals!

And this year they passed up on such great players like Bey, Stanley, and Woodard who can't shoot.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#190 » by captain green » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:11 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:

2003: Troy Bell (16) and Dahntay Jones (20) were traded to Memphis for Marcus Banks (13) and Kendrick Perkins (27)
2004: Al Jefferson (15), Delonte West (24), Tony Allen (25)
2005: Gerald Green (18)
2006: Randy Foye (7, traded to Portland), Rajon Rondo (21, acquired from Phoenix)
2007: Jeff Green (5, traded to Seattle but returned in 2011)
2008: J.R. Giddens (30)
2009: —
2010: Avery Bradley (19)
2011: Marshon Brooks (25) was traded for JaJuan Johnson (27)
2012: Jared Sullinger (21), Fab Melo (22)
2013: Lucas Nogueira (16, traded for Kelly Olynyk)
2014: Marcus Smart (6), James Young (17)
2015: Terry Rozier (16), R.J. Hunter (28)
2016: Jaylen Brown (3), Guerschon Yabusele (16), Ante Zizic (23, traded to Cleveland)
2017: Jayson Tatum (3)
2018: Robert Williams (27)
2019: Romeo Langford(14) Matisse Thybulle (20 traded to Philly) Grant Williams ( 22)
2020: Aaron Nesmith (14) Payton Pritchard ( 26)
Now compare that to all the other gms Danny is the 3rd best and it's not even close. Stop with nonsense every gm has misses. If you don't like the Celtics why are you here man ?
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,547

Post#191 » by playa-hater » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:29 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Exactly like you said if they had just picked Bol Bol, Naz Reid, Or Isiah Roby year they would have made the Finals!

And this year they passed up on such great players like Bey, Stanley, and Woodard who can't shoot.

these guys haven't played a single NBA game yet, and already you know they can't shoot?

I am with BostonCouch on this. Lot's of talent still available at 30, on a team that could use better talent (especially if we lose GH) and while no one is guaranteed to be good, I still believe they were TOO GOOD not to take a chance on.. for me Oturu would have been a great pickup for 30 and P Reed a great "gamble at 47"

But if a more likely shooter is what you wanted Desmond Bane was right there as well.

2 talents+needs at a low cost opportunity. how does Ainge NOT at least take a chance.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 am

playa-hater wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

these guys haven't played a single NBA game yet, and already you know they can't shoot?

I am with BostonCouch on this. Lot's of talent still available at 30, on a team that could use better talent (especially if we lose GH) and while no one is guaranteed to be good, I still believe they were TOO GOOD not to take a chance on.. for me Oturu would have been a great pickup for 30 and P Reed a great "gamble at 47"

But if a more likely shooter is what you wanted Desmond Bane was right there as well.

2 talents+needs at a low cost opportunity. how does Ainge NOT at least take a chance.

I'm saying they can't shoot coming out as prospects... I will wait until I see it in the NBA.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#193 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 am

captain green wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

2003: Troy Bell (16) and Dahntay Jones (20) were traded to Memphis for Marcus Banks (13) and Kendrick Perkins (27)
2004: Al Jefferson (15), Delonte West (24), Tony Allen (25)
2005: Gerald Green (18)
2006: Randy Foye (7, traded to Portland), Rajon Rondo (21, acquired from Phoenix)
2007: Jeff Green (5, traded to Seattle but returned in 2011)
2008: J.R. Giddens (30)
2009: —
2010: Avery Bradley (19)
2011: Marshon Brooks (25) was traded for JaJuan Johnson (27)
2012: Jared Sullinger (21), Fab Melo (22)
2013: Lucas Nogueira (16, traded for Kelly Olynyk)
2014: Marcus Smart (6), James Young (17)
2015: Terry Rozier (16), R.J. Hunter (28)
2016: Jaylen Brown (3), Guerschon Yabusele (16), Ante Zizic (23, traded to Cleveland)
2017: Jayson Tatum (3)
2018: Robert Williams (27)
2019: Romeo Langford(14) Matisse Thybulle (20 traded to Philly) Grant Williams ( 22)
2020: Aaron Nesmith (14) Payton Pritchard ( 26)
Now compare that to all the other gms Danny is the 3rd best and it's not even close. Stop with nonsense every gm has misses. If you don't like the Celtics why are you here man ?

Yeah but Jaylen Brown wasn't even a good pick. Didn't you hear Lonzo Ball, Bridges, and RJ Barrett are all better than him?
DoubleHappiness
Analyst

Post#194 » by DoubleHappiness » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:18 am

playa-hater wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because my CBA knowledge is pretty limited. But...it likely has to do with Danny wanting to keep roster flexibility in the midst of a possible crunch, and not knowing what moves we will have the opportunity to make. It is *NOT* necessarily a low cost opportunity.

First round contracts are guaranteed.

From Larry Coons CBA FAQ item# 51

51. What if a team likes its first round pick and wants to sign him, but either feels he isn't worth the scale salary or doesn't want to commit to two seasons?

They're stuck. In essence, this makes late first round picks less valuable, because they force teams to make a two-year commitment to a marginal player. In 1996, rather than give their first round pick Travis Knight (29th overall) a contract with a (then) three-year guarantee, the Bulls renounced him, making him a free agent
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#195 » by captain green » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:49 am

Ok so next year we have our own 1st our own 2nd and Memphis 2nd correct? Also I'm sick of the bullsheet top 55 protected second this rule need to be changed period no protected 2nd picks it's redundant and basically a cheat. If you trade your 2nd round no matter where it is it conveys. So for 2 years we still have minor assets. Am I correct in this 3 picks next year right?
DoubleHappiness
Analyst

Post#196 » by DoubleHappiness » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:58 am

captain green wrote: it's redundant and basically a cheat. If you trade your 2nd round no matter where it is it conveys.

Essentially a cheat for us. Because if top 55 protection doesn't exist, then OKC probably says no to us giving them 2.5 million just to get out of Vinnie's roster spot.
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#197 » by captain green » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:08 am

DoubleHappiness wrote:
captain green wrote: it's redundant and basically a cheat. If you trade your 2nd round no matter where it is it conveys.

Essentially a cheat for us. Because if top 55 protection doesn't exist, then OKC probably says no to us giving them 2.5 million just to get out of Vinnie's roster spot.

Ok but my point is we trades a player and his money we should at least get the 2nd pick. Otherwise just call it what it is a phantom pick which by ledger can't ever convey? Even if it helps us contract wise it simply is a cop out and I hate those cop out rules. And the fact okc wouldn't help us if it cost a pick even if we actually paid the amount and player we should get the damn pick. They have enough don't want the player fine don't trade other wise call it something else like a waiver Clause or asset retrieval. Cause it isn't a trade if we get nothing back. I've hated this rule for a long while
DoubleHappiness
Analyst

Post#198 » by DoubleHappiness » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 am

captain green wrote:
DoubleHappiness wrote:

Ok but my point is we trades a player and his money we should at least get the 2nd pick. Otherwise just call it what it is a phantom pick which by ledger can't ever convey? Even if it helps us contract wise it simply is a cop out and I hate those cop out rules. And the fact okc wouldn't help us if it cost a pick even if we actually paid the amount and player we should get the damn pick. They have enough don't want the player fine don't trade other wise call it something else like a waiver Clause or asset retrieval. Cause it is a trade if we get nothing back. I've ated this rule for a long while

Understand your ire dude. It's a rule to do basically just that, get around getting nothing back.

If that rule wasn't there and we actually got a pick conveyed to us if would be *much* more expensive by market value. I'm thinking of 2017 when Bulls fans were up in arms because they sold #38 to GSW for $3.5 mil. I think that's more than market value, but my point stands. In the end, nothing in this transaction really changes if the NBA allowed nothing to be sent back. It's a loophole and nothing more. Even if they have "enough" Presti still views it as having value.
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#199 » by captain green » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 am

DoubleHappiness wrote:
captain green wrote:
DoubleHappiness wrote:

Ok but my point is we trades a player and his money we should at least get the 2nd pick. Otherwise just call it what it is a phantom pick which by ledger can't ever convey? Even if it helps us contract wise it simply is a cop out and I hate those cop out rules. And the fact okc wouldn't help us if it cost a pick even if we actually paid the amount and player we should get the damn pick. They have enough don't want the player fine don't trade other wise call it something else like a waiver Clause or asset retrieval. Cause it is a trade if we get nothing back. I've ated this rule for a long while

Understand your ire dude. It's a rule to do basically just that, get around getting nothing back.

If that rule wasn't there and we actually got a pick conveyed to us if would be *much* more expensive by market value. I'm thinking of 2017 when Bulls fans were up in arms because they sold #38 to GSW for $3.5 mil. I think that's more than market value, but my point stands. In the end, nothing in this transaction really changes if the NBA allowed nothing to be sent back. It's a loophole and nothing more. Even if they have "enough" Presti still views it as having value.

Fair enough but I still hate the rule it's like the tax thing some people don't pay it because of loopholes
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#200 » by Upperclass » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 am

You all drafted Klay Thompson in Nesmith.. heluva pick which makes the terrible draft from 2019 so befuddling

Return to Boston Celtics