Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#981 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:21 am

Boston didn't dominate the draft like I thought they might, but they got 2 great shooters - Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard - added to an already very good offensive team. I wonder if they end up trading Kemba Walker. And they traded the 30th pick for a future Memphis pick - Ainge always does a smart move like that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#982 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm

Wow. So we start with the number 9 and 37 and get Deni, Cassius and a future second.

Meanwhile, the Mavs start with the #18 and 31 and end the night with Green, Bey, Richardson, Hinton and Terry.

Can we please trade our fake businessman for their real one?
In Rizzo we trust
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#983 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Wow. So we start with the number 9 and 37 and get Deni, Cassius and a future second.

Meanwhile, the Mavs start with the #18 and 31 and end the night with Green, Bey, Richardson, Hinton and Terry.

What a bizarre take
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#984 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Wow. So we start with the number 9 and 37 and get Deni, Cassius and a future second.

I was wondering if there was any attempt to deal : Mo, Admiral, Brown. Post-Grunfeld, the Wizards have not been a wheeling and dealing team on draft night.
wall_glizzy
Junior

Post#985 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:24 pm

closg00 wrote:I was wondering if there was any attempt to deal : Mo, Admiral, Brown. Post-Grunfeld, the Wizards have not been a wheeling and dealing team on draft night.

It sounds like Admiral went out to OKC in the deal around the 37th/53rd. Right now, it's being reported as Admiral and the rights to that Vit guy (taken at 37) for the 53rd and the 2024 Memphis 2nd. Weird all around, starting with selecting that dude at 37, but I guess it's better than just picking Winston there?
closg00
RealGM

Post#986 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:39 pm

wall_glizzy wrote:
closg00 wrote:I was wondering if there was any attempt to deal : Mo, Admiral, Brown. Post-Grunfeld, the Wizards have not been a wheeling and dealing team on draft night.

It sounds like Admiral went out to OKC in the deal around the 37th/53rd. Right now, it's being reported as Admiral and the rights to that Vit guy (taken at 37) for the 53rd and the 2024 Memphis 2nd. Weird all around, starting with selecting that dude at 37, but I guess it's better than just picking Winston there?

Ahh, I missed that detail on Admiral, Thx
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#987 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:Does Milwaukee still have their 2020 1st (from Indiana)? That would help them get one more decent wing. A guy like Josh Green or Desmond Bane would be nice. Then use the Room Minimum on a defensive forward like Mo Harkless. Then the vet minimum on backup bigs and PGs. You can always find vets like Jeff Green and Javale McGee to eat up minutes.

RealGM future picks says they still have the 24th pick.

Trouble with grabbing some of these vets, a lot of those players choose between money and/or chasing playoff success.

If you have the choice to go to Miami, Los Angeles, or any major city on the eastern seaboard, would you pick Milwaukee of all places?

With a little depth, they're championship contenders, maybe even the favorites.

Well, the Bucks royally f'd up.
Read on Twitter

Now, they have no salaries left to make any attempt to get Bogdanovich - likely realizing the league was not going to allow the "trade". And this combined with the putrid trade they made for Jrue could very well cause Giannis to decide to leave. I think their best shot right now is to try to use their MLE on Alec Burks - though I haven't heard any rumors.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#988 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:Well, the Bucks royally f'd up.
Read on Twitter

Now, they have no salaries left to make any attempt to get Bogdanovich - likely realizing the league was not going to allow the "trade". And this combined with the putrid trade they made for Jrue could very well cause Giannis to decide to leave. I think their best shot right now is to try to use their MLE on Alec Burks - though I haven't heard any rumors.

Wow. What a disaster! Pure incompetence from management.

This reminds me of the aborted trade the Wizards tried to make involving Oubre to Memphis for the wrong Brooks. It was such a PR disaster that they had to follow up by just giving Oubre away for nothing. Only this time, the stakes for Milwaukee are much bigger.

The good news for the Wizards is that if "Giannis in 2021" plans are still alive for a handful of teams, they won't be driving up the cost of free agents this summer, potentially making Bertans easier to retain.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#989 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Well, the Bucks royally f'd up.
Read on Twitter

Wow. What a disaster! Pure incompetence from management.

This reminds me of the aborted trade the Wizards tried to make involving Oubre to Memphis for the wrong Brooks. It was such a PR disaster that they had to follow up by just giving Oubre away for nothing. Only this time, the stakes for Milwaukee are much bigger.

The good news for the Wizards is that if "Giannis in 2021" plans are still alive for a handful of teams, they won't be driving up the cost of free agents this summer, potentially making Bertans easier to retain.

I saw the Knicks got rid of a few salaries today - including Portis - lol. They probably have a ton of space - wonder if they're going after Bertans.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#990 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Wow! Hayward opted out of $34M to become a free agent this summer!

I suppose he could still resign a new contract in Boston, but if he doesn't, he's probably going to go to Atlanta, New York, or Charlotte. I'm guessing that by Hayward opting out, a sign-and-trade is no longer an option for Boston.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#991 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Hayward would be a great fit in Atlanta. He'd be a primary playmaker for the team, allowing Trae to play off ball, and hopefully allowing others to get more touches.
wall_glizzy
Junior

Post#992 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 pm

nate33 wrote:Wow! Hayward opted out of $34M to become a free agent this summer!

I suppose he could still resign a new contract in Boston, but if he doesn't, he's probably going to go to Atlanta, New York, or Charlotte. I'm guessing that by Hayward opting out, a sign-and-trade is no longer an option for Boston.

Just saw this - iirc the two biggest rumors were (1) Atlanta (2) not Atlanta, and that he wanted a significant role on a contender... lol.

Anyway, I'm not great with cap - this opens up a lot of room for Boston, but not enough that they're not in play for Bertans, right?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#993 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 pm

wall_glizzy wrote:
nate33 wrote:Wow! Hayward opted out of $34M to become a free agent this summer!

Just saw this - iirc the two biggest rumors were (1) Atlanta (2) not Atlanta, and that he wanted a significant role on a contender... lol.

Anyway, I'm not great with cap - this opens up a lot of room for Boston, but not enough that they're not in play for Bertans, right?

Still no cap room for Boston. This is the worst of all scenarios for them. They lose an asset but can't replace him. All they have is the MLE.
closg00
RealGM

Post#994 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:05 am

Kelly Oubre heading to the Warriors and the fans love it.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#995 » by LyricalRico » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 am

closg00 wrote:Kelly Oubre heading to the Warriors and the fans love it.

Apparently the impact to their luxury tax bill will be astronomical, but makes clear they plan to compete this year regardless. Good for them and good for Steph that he won't have any years of his career knowingly wasted by management.

And they'll have a shot IMO - Houston will probably have to blow it up, OKC has already blown themselves up, Portland hasn't gotten better, Utah always disappoints, Denver may still not be ready yet, the Lakers have flaws, and who knows what the Clippers will look like after imploding and changing coaches.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#996 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am

Kudos to GSW. They're not giving up after the Thompson injury. Curry's window at 33 is getting smaller.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#997 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Kudos to GSW. They're not giving up after the Thompson injury. Curry's window at 33 is getting smaller.

I just saw a very sad thread title on the General Board:

Do you think Klay Thompson has arguably the worst contract in NBA?

The answer is an unequivocal yes.

- 2020-21 season: $35,361,360
- 2021-22 season: $37,980,720
- 2022-23 season: $40,600,080
- 2023-24 season: $43,219,440

It's amazing how fortunes can change in this league.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#998 » by Ed Wood » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 am

So, how do we feel about this lineup for the Pistons, should they want to go big:

C: Tony Bradley
PF: Isaiah Stewart
SF: Dewayne Dedmon
SG: Jahlil Okafor
PG: Mason Plumlee

Very normal off-season thus far in Detroit. Extremely easy to understand.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#999 » by trast66 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 am

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I just saw a very sad thread title on the General Board:

Do you think Klay Thompson has arguably the worst contract in NBA?

The answer is an unequivocal yes.

- 2020-21 season: $35,361,360
- 2021-22 season: $37,980,720
- 2022-23 season: $40,600,080
- 2023-24 season: $43,219,440

It's amazing how fortunes can change in this league.

Wow that turned out bad. They signed him to that contract 1 month after knee injury, buyer beware.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1000 » by Dark Faze » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:54 am

The Hawks might be better than us by a decent amount with the way their roster is shaping up right now. They've essentially completely rebuilt their team in a little over *two* seasons.

Teams pretty definitively better than us:

Bucks
Raptors
Celtics
Pacers
Heat
Sixers
Nets

That's 7 seeds basically locked up unless Giannis is traded. And if you think the Hawks are better than us now, then that's every playoff seed accounted for.

This team needs nothing short of a home run sort of move to avoid a rebuild, and it's looking like we're in the 9th inning.

Return to Washington Wizards