ImageImageImage

WELLCOME MY PRECIOUS....I HEAR YOU LIKE RINGS?!

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,754

Re: WELLCOME MY PRECIOUS....I HEAR YOU LIKE RINGS?! 

Post#21 » by greg4012 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
carnageta wrote:Honestly he looks like he may have more raw athleticism than Bam.

Another thing to note, he’s 21 years old (just turned 21 in September), so he’s a slightly older rookie.

I don’t want to hype him up too much just yet, but he could develop into a Siakam type talent next to Bam.

Siakam is the best comp I could think of too, If he really develops. A more defensive version of Siakam I would say.

I think people underrate his handle, at times he looks more like a big wing then a PF/C. He can really drive and penetrate, he can pull up too and he feels comfortable being aggressive with the ball.

Needs a lot of work but you already see the signs. I think his offense can be a lot more then being a roll man.

On defense, he's got very high steals + blocks rates - which are good indicators of a good defender. Also very high rebounding rate. Those metrics translate really well into the NBA.

Honestly my hope is that the Heat's development plan for him is more big wing/combo forward focused than it is big man.

Coming out of HS he was a plus-sized wing prospect. He's not deficient of a handle and perimeter play isn't foreign to him. He's just raw. From my understanding it was when Wiseman was lost early in the season that Precious slotted as a full-time big man. And he showed out because of his athletic prowess and high motor.

The ceiling for his raw talent to develop as a big wing/combo forward > the ceiling for his development as a big man.

I'm sure he will do some of both roles for us. But, I really hope the early plan is focused on refining his shot and limiting what he has to focus on offensively. Because if he is capable of not being a liability on offense and being respectable enough from 3 to maintain spacing, then having his addition on the defensive end is a beautiful thing.

IMO he needs to be on the same development plan as OG Anunoby in Toronto. He's starting from a more promising place than OG too. Better handle and maybe a better baseline to develop his shot.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,610

Post#22 » by DayofMourning » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by DayofMourning » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Good grief, listening to PA talk ball is mesmerizing. He is a smart kid. He understands the GAME being played. He understands his mismatch value and how it makes the game easier.
KJStark23
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#24 » by KJStark23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Memphis Asst Coach Cody Toppert gushing about Achiuwa’s long-term outlook and NBA Comps(at 12:40 mark)
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,936

Post#25 » by dshearn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:15 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Good grief, listening to PA talk ball is mesmerizing. He is a smart kid. He understands the GAME being played. He understands his mismatch value and how it makes the game easier.

That is what took me back...two clear things i picked up from his interview linked above.

1. He is Savy enough to fake it till he makes it. His go to response is never one of surprise.That is a natural leadership skill, don't get caught without an answer. Very impressive demeanor. He comes off as HIGHLY mature. He would fit in well on a vet team, and I doubt he has ever entered a room and felt like the least intelligent person in the room.

2. Like you say, he sounds like a coach. That interview sounded like a coach talking to a coach. Even more so talking about his game, he was not defensive about mistakes, and had a lot of good answers why he was in that position in the first place.

That young man has a solid head on his shoulders. It sure does seem we are lucky he wanted to play basketball, because he could do many many things in life with his brain and communication skills. He damn well could end up as a coach or broadcaster.

Watching his game tape... he cuts like an NFL WR, and covers so much ground when he gathers the ball to attack the basket. Two steps for him will get him damn near anywhere in the half court.

I bet he develops well, he seems to think in big picture mode. He is going to understand, and see the value in many of the little nuances that seem to be lost on most people.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#26 » by MugzZo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I came here to congratulate you guys on this pick. He will eventually start next to bam and the front court will be a terror for other teams. Hes that big the heat were missing when they tried to plug in crowder, iggy, and hill. Just a great pick. Miami as a hornets fan... I believe what you're doing in drafting is just top notch!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by DayofMourning » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 am

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,755

Post#28 » by Wiltside » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 am

I was excited about the prospect of adding Achiuwa when I heard we had used one of our workouts on him, but didn't really think we'd be in a position to get him. He seemed like a late lotto guy for sure.

Really think he's going to be a quality addition. Brings a lot of what we need from that 4/5 spot, particularly with Bam resting. Super athletic and at minimum, you know you'll get a big who can defend, plays extremely hard and has good hands and can finish. At best? He could be a nightmare alongside Bam. Tougher Spicy P? Would be real nice.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#29 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:34 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lock him in the gym with a shooting coach, the potential is there to be much more then a roll man.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
BIRDMAN BIRDMAN
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#30 » by BIRDMAN BIRDMAN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:33 pm

I love it :D Fits right in

:hug:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#31 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Just heard Jonathan Givony on the Zach lowe pod saying he had Precious at #12 on his board, that Miami hit a jackpot, that his stroke is good, has major upside, can play next to Bam once his shot improves.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,755

Post#32 » by Wiltside » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:52 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Just heard Jonathan Givony on the Zach lowe pod saying he had Precious at #12 on his board, that Miami hit a jackpot, that his stroke is good, has major upside, can play next to Bam once his shot improves.

It seems like he’s a more wing/PF oriented Bam without the passing game but a better J. Can also slide to the small ball 5 when Bam is out too due to his size and length.

Nastier Spicy P seems the upside here. That kinda player would be an absolute menace next to Bam. Imagine trying to switch and you keep getting these two dudes on you. Nightmare chit.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
HeatingUp3
Veteran
And1: 4,879

Post#33 » by HeatingUp3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:32 pm

He plays alot bigger then he is. I tgink we got a steal. He seems to WANT IT. He wants to improve and i believe he becomes solid 3 point shoter. He can drive really good!
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#34 » by Dr_Heat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 am

Oof
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
somerandomdude
Analyst
And1: 8,472

Post#35 » by somerandomdude » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:10 am

I can't look at this face and not think of Winslow. Probably not a good thing.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#36 » by radikalBaller » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:19 pm

We call him Don P
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#37 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 7:24 pm

SA37 wrote:worst-case maybe Stacey Augmon or Dwight Powell

Augmon and Powell? Those are nothing alike...
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#38 » by Kalela » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:20 am

Really good pick. Good fit for the Heat too.He was the one player I wanted on the Celtics more than any other player in the draft but Ainge likes his forwards closer to 6'5" than 6'9". lol
Fire Mazzulla
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by DayofMourning » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:02 am

Kalela wrote:Really good pick. Good fit for the Heat too.He was the one player I wanted on the Celtics more than any other player in the draft but Ainge likes his forwards closer to 6'5" than 6'9". lol

I was surprised he slid to 20. He wasn't on my Heat board as I didn't expect him to be there and also because I didn't think much of his shooting game. Early returns suggest he may be better than I expected.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,757

Post#40 » by KingDavid » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Can't wait to see him. Need more film
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.

Return to Miami Heat