ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,927

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#581 » by Dangit » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 pm

Red2 wrote:If we can move Kamba we should. Time to rebuild around Tatum and brown

Yup ... although I'd rather have Hayward then Brown
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#582 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Red2 wrote:It’s hard not to be pissed right now but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. On paper he was the perfect Celtic but it didn’t pan out.I felt and feel that he owed the C’s; they paid him millions of dollars and got very little in return. Maybe he sensed that the fans were down on him but i don’t think he could ever question how loyal the Celtics were to him . The final straw was him getting hurt again and ruining our shot at a title. Maybe he couldn’t live with that burden. I think he would have had a good year if he stayed but we will never know. I hold out hope that we can still do a sign and trade but the way our luck has gone the past two years that w probably won’t happen. Knicks just waived half of their roster to clear cap space so maybe that’s where Gordon goes. Trust me the knicks aren’t going to do us any favors

Hayward's injuries only prevented the Celtics from having a better shot at the finals this year and it did cost them a finals appearance the first year he was with the Celtics. Celtics if they faced the Curry/Klay/KD/Green Warriors would have been embarrassed in the finals nearly as bad as the Cavs were embarrassed. Cavs lost by 15 PPG in a sweep. They were embarrassed.

Barring a historic choke job or a major Lebron/Davis injury, Lakers were going to beat the Celtics whether it was in a 4, 5 or 6 games. Denver would have as well in all likelihood. Heat with Bam were undersized vs the Lakers. Celtics at more of a disadvantage. Hayward helps against a zone.

He doesn't help enough against Lebron and Anthony Davis. He doesn't help enough against Jokic.

If I was Hayward, I would have left as well. Celtics need a player of Hayward's caliber (or better) but that player needs to be a natural 4 or 5.
giambijuice
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#583 » by giambijuice » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:36 am

the minute he puts a pen in his hand to sign a new contract he'll probably break his wrist.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,463

Post#584 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 am

Red2 wrote:It’s hard not to be pissed right now but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. On paper he was the perfect Celtic but it didn’t pan out.I felt and feel that he owed the C’s; they paid him millions of dollars and got very little in return. Maybe he sensed that the fans were down on him but i don’t think he could ever question how loyal the Celtics were to him . The final straw was him getting hurt again and ruining our shot at a title. Maybe he couldn’t live with that burden. I think he would have had a good year if he stayed but we will never know. I hold out hope that we can still do a sign and trade but the way our luck has gone the past two years that w probably won’t happen. Knicks just waived half of their roster to clear cap space so maybe that’s where Gordon goes. Trust me the knicks aren’t going to do us any favors
Gordon owes us Celtic fans nothing. If his wife, and by extension, family aren't happy or comfortable in Boston, then he should go.

Yes, Danny paid him a lot and didn't produce, but he was plagued with injuries. Wouldn't this sort of attitude push someone away? "We paid you so much money, but because you went through a traumatic injury with residual injuries and didn't get our money's worth, you owe us a favor!"

I mean, how invalidating is that? I'd be of no surprised if Gordon's wife browsed through forums (she fights with people on instagram), and just is sick of Boston.

Either way, Gordon can do what he wants and his family, and kid's future are the only thing that matters.

It's addition by subtraction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#585 » by PaulGaston » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:22 am

First of all, it's weird that anyone is surprised by this. If he can lock in a longer contract with more guaranteed money, it makes a lot more sense than take 1 year 34 mil in a covid year (the take home pay is less) and then trying to make up the difference in free agency after another year of uncertainty.

Second of all, it's weird that so many people are seeing this entirely expected outcome as a sign that he hates the Celtics and wants out. Him staying in Boston is still very much in play. It'd say the ball is in Danny Ainge's court way more than it is for Hayward. Boston might want to maintain flexibility and avoid paying him. If the offer is there (say 3 years 80 mil or 4 years 100 mil), I expect Hayward to sign a new contract to stay in Boston. I could be wrong, but I more see this as a mutually beneficial way for Hayward to get some long term financial security while the Celtics minimize his cap hit and get under the luxury tax threshold. I'd bank on him getting something like 3 years 80 mil to stick around.
HondoFave
Freshman
And1: 48

HAYWARD - what do you hope for 

Post#586 » by HondoFave » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 pm

1. leaves - no return (Horford like)
2. S&T for Turner
3. re-signs with C's for 3-70
4. S&T forTPE (not even sure if this is possible)
5. Other - please elaborate (this can include other S&T targets)

Thx
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Re: HAYWARD - what do you hope for 

Post#587 » by illmatic24 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:01 pm

I’d prefer him to stay. He’s a better player than Turner and would probably impact this team more than Turner. The problem is if he can actually stay healthy or not. If that’s questionable or if he just wants to go to Indiana, at least getting Turner in exchange for him would be nice.
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#588 » by LondonCeltics » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:48 pm

The best laid plans of mice and rats
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,369

Post#589 » by Red2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Well that’s over.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics