ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,373

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#241 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:27 pm

Bensational wrote:Unrelated to the pick - yesterday was one of the best experiences I've had with the board. Getting on Discord and chatting with peeps real time, and even chatting verbally to SOUL, Knightro and Xatticus was just a damn good time and nice to see a different side of people.

I'd be down for having some game-time watch parties in a similar fashion if anyone is down? I'd much rather listen to commentary from folks on this board than Steele and Turner (and I don't dislike them).

Thanks for organising yesterday SOUL! Was one of the better days for 2020.

I'd for sure be down to do some this year. I would have hopped into the voice chat but was watching the draft at a bar in downtown Orlando and didn't think it would exactly be conducive for voice chatting lol
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#242 » by Ducklett » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 am

PrimeThyme wrote:
Bensational wrote:Unrelated to the pick - yesterday was one of the best experiences I've had with the board. Getting on Discord and chatting with peeps real time, and even chatting verbally to SOUL, Knightro and Xatticus was just a damn good time and nice to see a different side of people.

I'd be down for having some game-time watch parties in a similar fashion if anyone is down? I'd much rather listen to commentary from folks on this board than Steele and Turner (and I don't dislike them).

I'd for sure be down to do some this year. I would have hopped into the voice chat but was watching the draft at a bar in downtown Orlando and didn't think it would exactly be conducive for voice chatting lol

Ill show up for some game nights so you can have a realGM forums celeb there. I woulda been on voice for draft night but Pepe didn't show up for me to sing to. Jerk.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#243 » by j-ragg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:30 am

Anyone have a link for either the Jordan Brand Classic from 2019 or the Nike Hoop Summit from the same year? I dunno why the recent ones are so hard to find.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#244 » by tiderulz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Trae Young’s dangerous shooting habits caused him to fall all the way down to the #5 pick in a much better draft class.

Cole Anthony fell to #15 in a very poor draft class.

We don’t need long essays dissecting the details to come to the conclusion that these are not the same stories.

At the very least, Cole Anthony will be a spark plug off the bench worthy of a mid 1st round pick outside the lottery in a poor draft.

At best, he could break out and live up to some of those early expectations earning a starting role as a go-to scoring option.

Given what was left on the board, minus trade opportunities I can’t argue with the selection at this point.

and Joel Embiid fell behind Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, due to injury. Luka went behind Bagley. SGA went 11, Porter 14/ there is no rhyme or reason many times why someone may slide.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#245 » by RookieStar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:00 am

Soooo.. when is the prescon for Cole?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#246 » by RookieStar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:01 am

Soooo.. when is the prescon for Cole?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#247 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:02 am

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Trae Young’s dangerous shooting habits caused him to fall all the way down to the #5 pick in a much better draft class.

Cole Anthony fell to #15 in a very poor draft class.

We don’t need long essays dissecting the details to come to the conclusion that these are not the same stories.

At the very least, Cole Anthony will be a spark plug off the bench worthy of a mid 1st round pick outside the lottery in a poor draft.

At best, he could break out and live up to some of those early expectations earning a starting role as a go-to scoring option.

Given what was left on the board, minus trade opportunities I can’t argue with the selection at this point.

and Joel Embiid fell behind Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, due to injury. Luka went behind Bagley. SGA went 11, Porter 14/ there is no rhyme or reason many times why someone may slide.

We live in a “what have you done for me lately” world.

Normally such a player would have a full schedule of workouts and combines to remind teams why he was such a prized recruit and erase doubt.

Cole Anthony did not have that opportunity.

We are left with what we saw at UNC. Is that the true version of him? Or is that a consequence of injury and a bad team? — time will tell.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#248 » by Skin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
BlueBlazer wrote:One thing I like about Cole is his personality, and I know some others don’t agree. That kind of insatiability can prevail over shortcomings of talent. If PJ Tucker or Patrick Beverly weren’t dogs like they are I doubt they’d even sniff the league, and that counts for something IMO. I really hope he finds his way with us.

If there is an argument that differentiates him from someone like DSJ, I'd say it's this. He is a flat out hard worker who gives full out effort on both ends of his court. His body type doesn't suggest he will be a great defender, but I think he has the chance to be a good one (at least better than DSJ) with the effort he exerts on that end. At least good enough to stay on the court for Clifford.

I've been pleasantly surprised with that aspect of his game. He's oftentimes in position, fights hard over screens, and moves his feet well.

I tend to have a soft spot for high effort players like that. Versus players like Elfrid or Bamba who's motor and effort was/is too inconsistent for my taste. I don't think either player wants to be great or special, while Cole seems like he truly wants to be one of the best players in the league. I think it's a longshot, but I can at least appreciate the mentality (until it results in bad shot selection).

People have asked for "a dog", a committed lover of basketball, and a player that will lay it all down on the court... and from what I've seen.... he's got those qualities. Might be our hardest working player from day one. Hope that becomes infectious as he continues to grow and probably becomes a leader on the team.

Me! I crave players who have that "KG" inside of them. I hate choir boys. If a guy gets in an opponent's face after a dunk or block... or trash talks during games and intimidates the other team then, I love that kind of fire!

I've seen Anthony get lit and I absolutely love that about him.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#249 » by Bensational » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 am

I wonder if Giannis' future is no longer so clear now that the Bogdanovic deal fell through?

I hope the Bucks don't get punished for that, because if so then Miami and LA should have all their titles stripped since LeBron did exactly the same but much worse as far as collusion goes.

Not sure how they could deal for a bigger contract without Ilyasova's contract to act as filler.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#250 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:56 am

pepe1991 wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
ARandomStranger wrote:
Who is he suppose to trust on that team to pick up the work load? The next best Offensive weapon averages 16 and the next best is a 12ppg scorer. The rest? All sub 10 ppg and non factors offensively.

You are begging him not to Chuck shots and pass around. I am saying he was told to take those shots because the quality of his team was meh and if it wasn't he would have made more plays for others.

I don't get it, really I don't. His team was a dumpster fire, he played hurt, and was focused on by defenses. His fg % ain't gonna blow me away under those conditions and I'm not blaming him for playing selfish because most people know he was asked to do that.

Once again, not the guy I wanted, but I can live with it. I'm not going to throw him under the bus before the bus has even started to roll. If we are talking about how bad he is in the middle of the season with NBA level talent around him? Then you get to complain, but if he is lighting it up, and you decide to change your tune, I'm bringing this up again.

Being solely rooted in stats is one thing, but being blind to circumstance and context is a completely other thing.

But even I can eat crow and if he sucks, then that will be my turn to fess up, but I get the feeling he is not going to suck, and a lot of people are going to look like fools for judging his one season on a team with only 2 ten point or more scorers so harshly.

Come on, Pepe! Why so negative and biased from the beginning???

At least wait to see him play a couple of games and then start bashing him.
I know everyone had some favorite players in the draft. Obviously, you had yours and Cole Anthony isn't one of them, but why being so negative without a reason???

As ARandomStranger pointed out, he had a very bad supporting cast in UNC. Even your arguments and stats you brought up regarding shots taken vs. assists made seem to confirm the exact same thing when you try to analyze them and not only see the disparity or the FG% and say in a heartbeat: "Naaah, too many shots, too bad FG%, this guy sucks."

That's not smart. I don't particularly like our FO, but say what you want about them, they have some old-school draft and evaluating approach when it comes to these young prospects and they do their homework, getting to know their mentality, their background, their BBIQ, their toughness, etc. (Yes, Bamba is not there yet.)

Hating on a talented scorer and explosive guard because he's not "your guy" without giving him a chance is just stupid and not productive. Of course, he won't be what we really look for and hope, for now. He's 20 years old. How can he be D.Lillard or Steph Curry or Jamal Murray or Baron Davis or anyone...We need to wait and see and have that conversation in 2 years, not now. Now is the time to support him.

Hell, this team and Magic's fanbase desperately need some excitement and joy, not blind hate and searching for anything negative about our players. Some fans are just too used to being down and negative about anything and everything...I guess that's what happens after our dumb rebuild and disaster Henny era.

Let me show you what actually people thought about Cole Anthony before all the crap started 10 hours ago and he joined Magic

Ben was only one who kind a liked him. Common sense was " if Brandon Jennigs younger brother was in draft "

You really only showed 4 people. 3 of which are either still on the fence about him but also want to support him because he's on the Magic now, or still just straight up hate the pick. I certainly never said I hated him at any point. I wanted him, Vassell, Lewis Jr., Nesmith, or Haliburton. Only Anthony was available, and I'm ecstatic about it.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#251 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:09 am

^^^ Brandon Jennings was pretty damn exciting to watch before he tore his Achilles
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#252 » by nymets1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:20 am

Cole didn't say he's the best player in the draft but he did say there's not 14 players in the draft better than me. If I'm playing pickup ball and the 2 captains picked the teams and I didn't get picked up, All 10 players on the court are not better than me.

Is this the 1st time the Magic have had a son of a former NBA player on the roster?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#253 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:28 am

Wish I could've been there. Watched the draft a bit later and ended up hanging out with some friends to watch it. But I'm definitely down for some gametime ones.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#254 » by NEM » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:37 am

nymets1 wrote:Cole didn't say he's the best player in the draft but he did say there's not 14 players in the draft better than me. If I'm playing pickup ball and the 2 captains picked the teams and I didn't get picked up, All 10 players on the court are not better than me.

Is this the 1st time the Magic have had a son of a former NBA player on the roster?

We had Jerian Grant a few years ago. I’m sure you blocked that from your memory banks though :lol:
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#255 » by RookieStar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:39 am

NEM wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Cole didn't say he's the best player in the draft but he did say there's not 14 players in the draft better than me. If I'm playing pickup ball and the 2 captains picked the teams and I didn't get picked up, All 10 players on the court are not better than me.

We had Jerian Grant a few years ago. I’m sure you blocked that from your memory banks though :lol:

Ugh. Why did you have yo remind me
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#256 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:49 am

The Real Dalic wrote:

Wish I could've been there. Watched the draft a bit later and ended hanging out with some friends to watch it. But I'm definitely down for some gametime ones.

I'm legit sad that I missed this. Would love to get in on some discord action in the future.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#257 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:41 pm

As bad as Anthony shot last season his TS was 501

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#258 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Can't wait to see what our second unit looks like... if he came off the bench to start the season. Assuming the team stays the same... a bench of Anthony/ross/MCW??/okeke/Bamba

the bamba-anthony combination might become special. hoping that BFF playing together.... and Cole's drive and energy will be infectious.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,615

Post#259 » by Skybox » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Who is your starting SF? I’m hoping Okeke or even Ross
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#260 » by Darth Magic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Of the free agent options available, I wouldn't mind getting Rodney Hood on a descent contract.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman

Return to Orlando Magic