ImageImageImageImage

Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Re: Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu 

Post#41 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I mean.. What league sources though? Whos Omar? 20th pick? I mean. I'd understand if he wants out but I dont see any legit sources reporting this yet.

Omar is just a guy on twitter posting a screenshot of a story from The Athletic, he's not the source.

The tidbit is from this power rankings article written today from Zach Harper - https://theathletic.com/2204140/2020/11/19/the-nba-draft-is-over-but-the-offseasons-chaos-isnt-nba-power-rankings/ ($)
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Re: Magic extend qualifying offer to F Gary Clark, do NOT extend qualifying offer to F Wes Iwundu 

Post#42 » by thelead » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:30 am

I wasn’t a big fan but it seemed like the organization liked him. Strange move.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#43 » by KillMonger » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:48 am

Ducklett wrote:34 seconds ago – via Zach Harper @ The Athletic
League sources say Evan Fournier is trying to find his way to a team like the Clippers, Suns or Nuggets.
MORE ON EVAN FOURNIER TRADE?
25 seconds ago – via Hoops Rumors
Also in Windhorst’s latest Hoop Collective podcast, he and colleague Zach Lowe identified the Kings and Magic as two teams that may be looking to get a little younger this offseason rather than being content with competing again for the No. 8 seed. Nemanja Bjelica was identified by Lowe as a possible trade candidate to watch in Sacramento, while Windhorst added that Orlando would likely be open to moving Evan Fournier.

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#44 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:38 am

KillMonger wrote:
Ducklett wrote:34 seconds ago – via Zach Harper @ The Athletic
League sources say Evan Fournier is trying to find his way to a team like the Clippers, Suns or Nuggets.
MORE ON EVAN FOURNIER TRADE?
25 seconds ago – via Hoops Rumors
Also in Windhorst’s latest Hoop Collective podcast, he and colleague Zach Lowe identified the Kings and Magic as two teams that may be looking to get a little younger this offseason rather than being content with competing again for the No. 8 seed. Nemanja Bjelica was identified by Lowe as a possible trade candidate to watch in Sacramento, while Windhorst added that Orlando would likely be open to moving Evan Fournier.

I like Nemanja. His shooting would be very, very welcomed on this team. But, he's still a power forward... I assume this would mean we'd run AG at SF? Which isn't good. Unless there were more moving parts.

I feel like someone is going to bring up Buddy Hield, which I'm not against, but I also wonder if people realize that Hield is like a month younger than Evan. I do think that Hield is a better player, but I think he has a bit more baggage that comes with him. I'm not totally against Hield, I'm just not as hot on him as some of the posters here are.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#45 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 am

TheGlyde wrote:
Knightro wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:So what are we looking at right now?

G: Fultz, Anthony
G: Fournier, Ross
F: N/A
F: Gordon, Aminu, Okeke, Clark, Isaac
C: Vucevic, Bamba, Birch

I see what you are saying but I don't really agree we can't play any of your 5 listed PF's alongside one another.

In the modern NBA, where positionless basketball is more commonplace, smallball is rife... and there are two ends to a basketball court.

AG can certainly guard 3s and handle most any switch, and I have confidence Okeke will in time as well. If AG is here opening night I would wager we see a fair bit of them on the court together and that it works out okay.

Clark played at SF for us quite a bit, no? And isn't Okeke slotted to be a SF?
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#46 » by jezzerinho » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:This means that this front office, best known as turniing late picks into good players- failed to do only thing they are good at for 3rd straight year , as orlando now has 0 players drafted in second round that are on active roster :lol:

Ownership should be looking for new front office after next year. This guys are ready to retire.
I made semi- joking comment back in 2017 that they signed with Orlando to steal money before team actually figures they have no intention to do anything... Man... that joke didn't age well.

That's a bit unfair, Pepe. I've heard that some guy called Cash Considerations is ready to bust out for Orl this year....
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#47 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 am

EasternMagic wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:
Knightro wrote:
G: Fultz, Anthony
G: Fournier, Ross
F: N/A
F: Gordon, Aminu, Okeke, Clark, Isaac
C: Vucevic, Bamba, Birch

I see what you are saying but I don't really agree we can't play any of your 5 listed PF's alongside one another.

In the modern NBA, where positionless basketball is more commonplace, smallball is rife... and there are two ends to a basketball court.

AG can certainly guard 3s and handle most any switch, and I have confidence Okeke will in time as well. If AG is here opening night I would wager we see a fair bit of them on the court together and that it works out okay.

Clark played at SF for us quite a bit, no? And isn't Okeke slotted to be a SF?
I think Clark only played PF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,589

Post#48 » by Skybox » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am

I still don’t worry about PF/SF...AG can defend either spot, so as long as the other guy can shoot from 3, they can play together. Isaac and AG are interchangeable, but without POR backcourt, they can’t sustain an offense with 2 limited floor spreaders (compounded with Fultz at lead guard)...if either or both suddenly shot 38% at volume, we’d be fine...Clark, I guess, at least might be that floor spreader it’s some consistency (off the bench)...AG and Isaac are both so good- just not together.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#49 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 pm

The Qualifying Offer to Gary Clark was expected.

It would be nice to have him back.

Wes Iwundu fell out of favor here. It's time for him to move on and I think he could find a nitch elsewhere as a reserve or potential rotation player.

When Melvin Frazier Jr.'s was Drafted, it was his shot development that was going to make or break him as a 3 and D wing and it broke him. It's no surprise The Magic are not picking up his option.

It will be interesting to see how they fill out the roster at the swing position but I do think The Magic should look at a Trade particularly with Evan Fournier who they should not try to re-sign.

There are some other possibilities they should look at too. Given what The East looks like with Miami, Toronto, Milwaukee, Boston, Philadelphia, Brooklyn and Jonathan Issac's injury, I don't think it is a bad idea to take a step back, make a few tweaks to get ready for the following season.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#50 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Skybox wrote:I still don’t worry about PF/SF...AG can defend either spot, so as long as the other guy can shoot from 3, they can play together. Isaac and AG are interchangeable, but without POR backcourt, they can’t sustain an offense with 2 limited floor spreaders (compounded with Fultz at lead guard)...if either or both suddenly shot 38% at volume, we’d be fine...Clark, I guess, at least might be that floor spreader it’s some consistency (off the bench)...AG and Isaac are both so good- just not together.

I'm not knocking you specifically, but there seems to be a lot of this type of talk on the board right now.

Of course the Magic *can* play a natural 4 at the 3 if they have to, they've been doing it the last 2-3 years. These guys aren't going to spontaneously combust if they have to play out of position.

But it's about putting your personnel in the optimal position to succeed. Many people have suggested that essentially anyone on the roster can play the 3 as long as they can shoot from the perimeter and that just feels like a major oversimplification of what actually playing on the wing full time really entails.

There's a significant difference in being a screener offensively and being a help defender when another player is put in the action v. being someone who actually has to navigate through and around screens both offensively and defensively.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#51 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm

West did a nice job last season. Wish him good luck.

I hope this means we are making some moves. Roster as it stands is a mess
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#52 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 pm

So, we see AG at SF this year.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,589

Post#53 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:01 pm

He's staying...2 years, $4.1 million

I'm good with that. Now onto the big trade?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#54 » by basketballRob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 669

Post#55 » by BlueBalls » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Bolstering the roster with enough average blah to ensure we win 39-44 games, get our knobs yanked in the playoffs and avoid the lottery like Lake Havasu with co-ed COVID.

I don’t know how to make this exciting.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Return to Orlando Magic