Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#441 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:04 am

So we had a 7 hour road trip planned for today - not something I would recommend doing in the future on the day after the draft because now I have a LOT of catching up to do now we have arrived at our destination!

One advantage though was having 7 hours to think about the draft and not be distracted by all the online noise - which has been good. After 7 hours of thinking, this is what I have arrived on:

I have always loved, LOVED, pass 1st point guards. I've never been a fan of score 1st point guards - I want other dudes to focus on scoring and I want my PG to focus on setting them up to score and then for him to score should the opportunity present itself. That's why I had high hopes for DJ Augustin when we drafted him. It's why I really liked Marcus Williams out of UConn (I loved his passing sooooooo much) and it's why I really like Haliburton. It's also why I value Tae so much more for his passing than I do for his 3pt shooting.

Ball provides the possibility of being that pass 1st PG making really amazing passes that will excite me. With his measureables he will see the court in a way that most PG's wont be able to and with his willingness to pass and the way he processes passing it sounds awesome.

If he can quit it with the Steph Curry/Tre Young shot attempts (unless he can prove he can actually make them on a consistent basis) and focus on taking and making high quality shots and look to lock on on D then, along with his pass 1st creativity then who knows what he can become.

As I expressed last night, I am concerned that he doesn't make it past his rookie contract with us and heads for the bright lights of a major city, but we can cross that bridge (and S&T the sh*t out of him if need be) when we come to it.

End of the day, I love creative pass 1st PG's and we landed one so let's let the good times roll!!!
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#442 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:06 am

I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me
Love was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams
Then I saw him play, now I'm a Ballliever
Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, and I'm a Ballliever
I couldn't hate him if I tried....
B B M F 'ers
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#443 » by driveandkick » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 am

amcoolio wrote:Mitch and the Hornets didn't talk about Ball until Okongwu was drafted 6th. I have a theory that a deal was in place that if Okongwu was there at 7, Detroit would have traded 7 + 16 for Ball and we would have taken Okongwu and Maxey

I’m just not buying this. I truly think we identified Ball as our guy and there was no chance we were parting with him. Here’s why:

-Serious, legitimate reporters like Stein and Chad Ford said Ball was our target and we even considered a move to #1 to get him. These aren’t random Twitter guys - Stein especially I trust as much as anyone.

-We sprinted to the podium for Ball. I mean, as soon as Woj tweeted that GSW was going Wiseman he tweeted like three minutes later that we were taking Ball. If we were even CONSIDERING trading, we would have burn out the clock a while longer.
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#444 » by BobsBuddy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 am

:D :D :D Don't Worry LaMello is trade bait..... He's going to Houston with other fillers for Russell. What do you think all those other big re3bounders were drafted for anyway? :wink: :wink:
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#445 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 am

BigSlam wrote:So we had a 7 hour road trip planned for today - not something I would recommend doing in the future on the day after the draft because now I have a LOT of catching up to do now we have arrived at our destination!

One advantage though was having 7 hours to think about the draft and not be distracted by all the online noise - which has been good. After 7 hours of thinking, this is what I have arrived on:

I have always loved, LOVED, pass 1st point guards. I've never been a fan of score 1st point guards - I want other dudes to focus on scoring and I want my PG to focus on setting them up to score and then for him to score should the opportunity present itself. That's why I had high hopes for DJ Augustin when we drafted him. It's why I really liked Marcus Williams out of UConn (I loved his passing sooooooo much) and it's why I really like Haliburton. It's also why I value Tae so much more for his passing than I do for his 3pt shooting.

Ball provides the possibility of being that pass 1st PG making really amazing passes that will excite me. With his measureables he will see the court in a way that most PG's wont be able to and with his willingness to pass and the way he processes passing it sounds awesome.

If he can quit it with the Steph Curry/Tre Young shot attempts (unless he can prove he can actually make them on a consistent basis) and focus on taking and making high quality shots and look to lock on on D then, along with his pass 1st creativity then who knows what he can become.

As I expressed last night, I am concerned that he doesn't make it past his rookie contract with us and heads for the bright lights of a major city, but we can cross that bridge (and S&T the sh*t out of him if need be) when we come to it.

End of the day, I love creative pass 1st PG's and we landed one so let's let the good times roll!!!

So my big question is going to be which direction he tries to go.

If he decides to be a super Rubio then he's going to be a star player. If he decides he wants to take dozens of low IQ shots every night because he thinks that's the way to be a star, then I'll hate it almost immediately.

Please for LaLove of everything that is LaHoly, please be a passer first. LaPlease
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,562

Post#446 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:18 am

fixed lyrics

BigSlam wrote:
I thought stars were only true in big cities
Meant for some fans else but not for we
curse was out to get us
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my teams
Then I saw him play, now I'm a Ballliever
Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, and I'm a Ballliever
I couldn't hate him if I tried....
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#447 » by JMAC3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:19 am

I know we are all excited about his passing. worried about his shooting and defense.

He is the best finisher in the draft. He has right handed and left handed finishes, floaters, dunks, fake left-fake right-left hand finish that just free the defense... His level of creativity will one keep him from getting blocked to go along with his size, but he should be able to learn to get to the free throw line more.

Offense is the name of the game and he is the most complete offensive player in this draft even with his shooitng woess.

What do you think Luka shot from three this year? Take a guess in your head and then go look it up
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#448 » by JMAC3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:54 am

Also, for those who are basketball junkies and want to watch his best game of the year. Just happened to be watching this and around 13 minute mark they say Mitch is at this game scouting him... hmm wonder if this was when he knew.

Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#449 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 am

BobsBuddy wrote::D :D :D Don't Worry LaMello is trade bait..... He's going to Houston with other fillers for Russell. What do you think all those other big re3bounders were drafted for anyway? :wink: :wink:

Batum + Miles + Ball and how many picks?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,665

Post#450 » by Diop » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
BobsBuddy wrote::D :D :D Don't Worry LaMello is trade bait..... He's going to Houston with other fillers for Russell. What do you think all those other big re3bounders were drafted for anyway? :wink: :wink:

Batum + Miles + Ball and how many picks?

To take Westbrook? I’m going to want at least 2
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#451 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

I know we are all excited about his passing. worried about his shooting and defense.

He is the best finisher in the draft. He has right handed and left handed finishes, floaters, dunks, fake left-fake right-left hand finish that just free the defense... His level of creativity will one keep him from getting blocked to go along with his size, but he should be able to learn to get to the free throw line more.

Offense is the name of the game and he is the most complete offensive player in this draft even with his shooitng woess.

What do you think Luka shot from three this year? Take a guess in your head and then go look it up

Without peeking, I'm guessing Luka shot 32%
It has been written...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#452 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Look at that thing hanging from his neck. Totally looks like the Hornets logo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#453 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I know we are all excited about his passing. worried about his shooting and defense.

It’s not just the shooting %’s though (which are a concern) - it’s the type of shots he takes.

He needs to completely remove the Dame/Steph/Tre shots from the logo to the half court unless it’s an absolute last resort because the play has broken down and there are 3 or less seconds on the shot clock.

B B M F 'ers
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#454 » by BobsBuddy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 pm

:D Draft Picks?.... Well Lamelo is a first rounder and was picked 3rd for Houston ....Ball+ Batum + Zellar + Who Else (Monk?Bacon?Graham?Rosier?)= Russell Westbrook in Charlotte. Think about it? Why would they draft 2 big rebounders and another PG in 2nd round. They already have 2 good PGs and another good one under contract in GBoro. That = 4 PG Don't bee suprised if Rosier and Monk(#9 1st) are part of the trade package :nod: :nod: :nod:
Yes :crazy: it is.... but MJ has done it before and he will overide others and do it again. :nod: :wink: Beelieve Me...Mitch/MJ are still working on this one.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#455 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 pm

BobsBuddy wrote::D Draft Picks?.... Well Lamelo is a first rounder and was picked 3rd for Houston ....Ball+ Batum + Zellar + Who Else (Monk?Bacon?Graham?Rosier?)= Russell Westbrook in Charlotte. Think about it? Why would they draft 2 big rebounders and another PG in 2nd round. They already have 2 good PGs and another good one under contract in GBoro. That = 4 PG Don't bee suprised if Rosier and Monk(#9 1st) are part of the trade package :nod: :nod: :nod:
Yes :crazy: it is.... but MJ has done it before and he will overide others and do it again. :nod: :wink: Beelieve Me...Mitch/MJ are still working on this one.

Dude: Chill it with the “we are trading everything for Westbrook” posts in every thread.

Use the fake trade thread if you have ideas but stop blowing up every other thread.

B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#456 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Unless I’ve been looking in the wrong places it’s been interesting, and a relief, to not see LaVar Ball anywhere running his mouth.

Hope it stays that way.

B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#457 » by DY_nasty » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 pm

BigSlam wrote:Unless I’ve been looking in the wrong places it’s been interesting, and a relief, to not see LaVar Ball anywhere running his mouth.

Hope it stays that way.

is he still banned from ESPN? :lol:
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#458 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:Look at that thing hanging from his neck. Totally looks like the Hornets logo!!

I anticipate he'll release his own line of Hornet jewelry
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#459 » by James Gatz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm

BigSlam wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I know we are all excited about his passing. worried about his shooting and defense.

It’s not just the shooting %’s though (which are a concern) - it’s the type of shots he takes.

He needs to completely remove the Dame/Steph/Tre shots from the logo to the half court unless it’s an absolute last resort because the play has broken down and there are 3 or less seconds on the shot clock.

Couple of things:

1) He has a lot of craft finishing but statistically he's a poor finisher right now. He was 34th percentile finishing in NBL on 53 attempts in the half court. He just doesn't have the strength to finish through contact in any way. Lots of times you'll see him get bounced back and forced to take contested or wild floaters. It's a concern but I believe he will be able to add to his frame and the NBL guys are certainly stronger than NCAA kids.

2) I disagree that he needs to eliminate the 30 footer from his game. Beginning of shot clock and slightly guarded? Then yes, please don't take that shot, but if he can hit that shot at decent clip I don't want to limit him. The minute teams stop going over on PnR his passing and playmaking are muted. I want him firing away, with better shot selection, so teams have to respect him from 3.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#460 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:03 pm

B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets