Image ImageImage Image

Finalizing Roster for 20-21

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Finalizing Roster for 20-21 

Post#61 » by TheStig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 pm

PlayerUp wrote:Unless Donovan can flip this roster, we'll be a lottery team again which is fine. 2021 draft is stacked and this year is the start of our true rebuild which began when Gar/Pax were finally canned.

I think they might do the stealth tank and sell off some pieces they're not in love with before the deadline. Get more picks.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#62 » by TheStig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:33 pm

ZOMG wrote:
TheStig wrote:
sco wrote:YAY he can hit corner 3's!

That would be a huge plus. It's the biggest knock against him to me. If he's a reliable 3 pt shooter, he just become much more valuable.

All NBA players can hit threes in an empty gym. Literally.

I'm hoping as much as the next idiot that Wendell comes out with an improved shot - then again, he didn't last season, and I'm sure he practiced all the same things then.

Don't be such a debbie downer. He's putting in the work at the thing I want him to do.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#63 » by sco » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:37 pm

TheStig wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
TheStig wrote:That would be a huge plus. It's the biggest knock against him to me. If he's a reliable 3 pt shooter, he just become much more valuable.

I'm hoping as much as the next idiot that Wendell comes out with an improved shot - then again, he didn't last season, and I'm sure he practiced all the same things then.

Don't be such a debbie downer. He's putting in the work at the thing I want him to do.

I will give WC credit for looking in better shape to start the season too. I think that was another big problem for him last year.

I want to see a line-up of Coby, Zach, Otto, Pat, WC for stretches this season.
:clap:
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#64 » by ZOMG » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 pm

TheStig wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
TheStig wrote:That would be a huge plus. It's the biggest knock against him to me. If he's a reliable 3 pt shooter, he just become much more valuable.

He's putting in the same work he's always put in, most likely. This time someone happened to shoot video of it.

I repeat - I've seen video of a semi-washed Joakim Noah making like 10 threes in a row in an empty gym. When he gets on an actual NBA floor, he can't hit anything.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#65 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm

ZOMG wrote:
TheStig wrote:
sco wrote:YAY he can hit corner 3's!

That would be a huge plus. It's the biggest knock against him to me. If he's a reliable 3 pt shooter, he just become much more valuable.

Yes to the empty gym part. I remember way back when watching Corie Blount dropping them with high % in warmups before, but he would have been yanked off the floor if he did it in a game.

IMO WCJ can be an effective shooter from distance, having a new coach and a new offense should help with the opportunities.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Indomitable wrote:
kodo wrote:Otto should be spending a good deal of time at the 4, because that's the NBA these days. Playing actual PFs at the PF spot is just falling into a trap the other 29 teams have figured out already.

Watching Chicago try to match up with Boston and having Lauri Markkanen try to check Jaylen Brown out in space is just laughable. And I can't blame Lauri, he was just set up to fail by coaching & the organization.

At least half of these bigs need to be off the roster, regardless if we get anything back or not.

I vote Lauri off the Island

I'm voting Felicio and/or Kornet off first, wouldn't miss them one bit, at some point we're going to need the roster space, looking forward to AK's next move.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#67 » by Red8911 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Yes to the empty gym part. I remember way back when watching Corie Blount dropping them with high % in warmups before, but he would have been yanked off the floor if he did it in a game.

IMO WCJ can be an effective shooter from distance, having a new coach and a new offense should help with the opportunities.
Do we care if he’s an effective shooter? What’s his role on this team? As the center of the team he should be the one who does the dirty work play defense, block people, box out, get rebounds and work on scoring in the post. Sure him being able to shoot helps at times but at the end of the day the others will be the scorers not Carter. He needs to get that through his head that he is a role player and those things are what makes him more valuable not being able to hit 3s.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#68 » by Red8911 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Indomitable wrote:
kodo wrote:Otto should be spending a good deal of time at the 4, because that's the NBA these days. Playing actual PFs at the PF spot is just falling into a trap the other 29 teams have figured out already.

Watching Chicago try to match up with Boston and having Lauri Markkanen try to check Jaylen Brown out in space is just laughable. And I can't blame Lauri, he was just set up to fail by coaching & the organization.

At least half of these bigs need to be off the roster, regardless if we get anything back or not.

I vote Lauri off the Island
I want to see what Lauri does with a new coach before we throw him off the island. I would get rid of Carter and Otto first for now.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Do we care if he’s an effective shooter? What’s his role on this team? As the center of the team he should be the one who does the dirty work play defense, block people, box out, get rebounds and work on scoring in the post. Sure him being able to shoot helps at times but at the end of the day the others will be the scorers not Carter. He needs to get that through his head that he is a role player and those things are what makes him more valuable not being able to hit 3s.

being able to hit 3's (or midrange) is exactly what makes him more valuable in the rotation, zero issues with him working to improve in that area.

More importantly its not getting called on those ticky tack fouls that have plagued him since day 1. Even when he started off having a good game with a block or two and a couple of nice putbacks by the end of the first Q he's got two fouls and the fun is over, he's on the bench for 10 minutes then picks up #3 right when he steps back on the court. That needs to be fixed, somehow.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#70 » by Indomitable » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm

gobullschi wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
No. Calm down. We’re talking about at a third string center (ala Kornet). The kid has some potential.

Kid?? He's like 27 years old!!! :lol: You are what you are at that age.

And don't give me that crap about Maker being 19 when he was drafted. There's enough compelling evidence out there saying he was much older.

Big men develop late. I’m going off the basis that he’s 23 years old. I’m not buying that BS about his age. IF he really is actually 27 years old then I would pass.

We have enough young players. Even in a renuild you need veterans. He is nothing.
:banghead:
TheStig
RealGM

Post#71 » by TheStig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

This isn't 1980 and he's not Joel Embid. He shouldn't try to be a post scorer. He needs to master the pick and roll/pop. So shooting is important. That's why teams close going small. If he wants to be anything more than an average big that plays 25mpg, he has to be able to shoot the 3 to stay on the floor in clutch time.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#72 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:47 pm

This season is all about getting the most out of the guys currently on the team. You get to camp, let em play and develop them.
You take your team into the season and as it progresses you see where you are and if a move presents itself, you make it, if not you keep building.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#73 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Yes we care. He's got a lot of potential on offense. The more he can expand his game the better off for the team. We are not going to be a defensive juggernaut any time soon so getting as many solid offensive options helps ball movement and spacing.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#74 » by gobullschi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 pm

Indomitable wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Kid?? He's like 27 years old!!! :lol: You are what you are at that age.

And don't give me that crap about Maker being 19 when he was drafted. There's enough compelling evidence out there saying he was much older.

Big men develop late. I’m going off the basis that he’s 23 years old. I’m not buying that BS about his age. IF he really is actually 27 years old then I would pass.

We have enough young players. Even in a renuild you need veterans. He is nothing.

Are you seriously wasting your time trying to insult me over a third string center? Get off your high horse.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#75 » by HomoSapien » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:22 pm

We really need to get Thaddeus Young off the roster. He played like selfish garbage last season, but he really limits any potential playing time for Pat Williams. I'd even be open to a buyout. To me, the potential of signing someone else is move valuable than anything Young brings. Still can't believe we risked tampering in order to sign him during the opening minutes of free-agency.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#76 » by gobullschi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm

HomoSapien wrote:We really need to get Thaddeus Young off the roster. He played like selfish garbage last season, but he really limits any potential playing time for Pat Williams. I'd even be open to a buyout. To me, the potential of signing someone else is move valuable than anything Young brings. Still can't believe we risked tampering in order to sign him during the opening minutes of free-agency.

I agree that Thad should get moved, but I’m leaning towards moving him at the deadline. Since the season is starting so quickly, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a 19 year old to be ready for the type of minutes Thad will get early on.

Hopefully Thad performs well enough for the Bulls to get some draft capital in 2021.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#77 » by HomoSapien » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm

C.Carter/Gafford/Felicio
PF.Lauri/Young
SF.Porter/Williams/Hutch
SG.LaVine/Valentine*
PG.White/Satoransky/Arci

Just looking at our roster, the two areas I would target in FA (assuming we're not making any major changes) is a savvy veteran floor general and a reliable big man. Funny enough, Sato and Young were supposed to check both of those boxes, but clearly, we can do significantly better on both fronts.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#78 » by HomoSapien » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

gobullschi wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:We really need to get Thaddeus Young off the roster. He played like selfish garbage last season, but he really limits any potential playing time for Pat Williams. I'd even be open to a buyout. To me, the potential of signing someone else is move valuable than anything Young brings. Still can't believe we risked tampering in order to sign him during the opening minutes of free-agency.

I agree that Thad should get moved, but I’m leaning towards moving him at the deadline. Since the season is starting so quickly, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a 19 year old to be ready for the type of minutes Thad will get early on.

Hopefully Thad performs well enough for the Bulls to get some draft capital in 2021.

Usually, I'm with you about making rookies earn it, but in this case I want to see at least 20 minutes right off the bat. Williams is a high draft pick and he's already lost tons of valuable development time due to Covid. If we're going to be a playoff team it's going to be because of Zach, Lauri, and White and not Young anyway.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#79 » by gobullschi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Usually, I'm with you about making rookies earn it, but in this case I want to see at least 20 minutes right off the bat. Williams is a high draft pick and he's already lost tons of valuable development time due to Covid. If we're going to be a playoff team it's going to be because of Zach, Lauri, and White and not Young anyway.

I see where your coming from. I want another first in the 2021 draft, which is why I was leaning towards giving Thad more minutes early only to boost his trade value.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#80 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm

HomoSapien wrote:C.Carter/Gafford/Felicio
PF.Lauri/Young
SF.Porter/Williams/Hutch
SG.LaVine/Valentine*
PG.White/Satoransky/Arci

Just looking at our roster, the two areas I would target in FA (assuming we're not making any major changes) is a savvy veteran floor general and a reliable big man. Funny enough, Sato and Young were supposed to check both of those boxes, but clearly, we can do significantly better on both fronts.

Don't forget BIG Luke Kornet :lol:

Return to Chicago Bulls