The Raptors will begin the 2020-21 season in Tampa, Masai Ujiri says in a statement.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Re: The Raptors will begin the 2020-21 season in Tampa, Masai Ujiri says in a statement. 

Post#81 » by Ramed Nazored » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Have you ever even been to Tampa?

I have. And there's not a chance in hell, unless compelled to (as the raptors currently are), that I'd choose to live there over Toronto.

Meanwhile, half of Canada spends their winters in Florida to get away from the cold. I'm sure the Raptor players are absolutely loving this turn of events, though they won't admit it publicly to make Toronto fans feel bad about their cold weather insecurity. Especially after Kawhi left.

ICYMI - FVV was totally on board with the team playing out of Tampa, on JJ Redick's pod. No need to feel sorry for these guys. They feel sorry for you. lol.

No, "Half of Canada" doesn't spend their winters in Florida, and the Canadian's that do spend their winters in Florida are retirees. "Cold Weather Insecurity" or otherwise, Canada leads the world in pretty much every recognized measure of quality of life, and Toronto consistently ranks as one of the most livable, best cities on earth - #13 by the last count. We also have this really wild thing here called "seasons". Nice temperate falls, colder winters, mild springs, and stinking hot summers. Crazy, huh?

And funny you mentioned FVV. I bumped into him two years ago in a coffee shop. He gushed over the city. Said the weather's a non-factor as he grew up with cold winters. Guess the jokes on you.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,498

Re: The Raptors will begin the 2020-21 season in Tampa, Masai Ujiri says in a statement. 

Post#82 » by SFour » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:If the raptors did win would the championship stay in Tampa?

Did the Lakers championship stay in Orlando?
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#83 » by thebigbird » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:45 pm

EArl wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:From a beautiful, pluralistic, cosmopolitan metropolis to a rightwing hellhole run by the functionary of a death cult.

Not liking this at all. Who cares about the weather. I really feel for our guys and their families, especially the rooks. They're going to miss out on the specialness of our city.

Have you ever even been to Tampa?

Ive been to both. Toronto is better imo. All Tampa has is retired old conservatives. Not my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal for different groups.

Not even arguing that Tampa is a better place to live than Toronto. They are very different cities. Just pushing back against the idea that Tampa is a "rightwing hellhole." It's a nice enough place, especially during the winter, and there are many other US cities that would've been worse picks.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#84 » by Danny1616 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:

I have. And there's not a chance in hell, unless compelled to (as the raptors currently are), that I'd choose to live there over Toronto.

Meanwhile, half of Canada spends their winters in Florida to get away from the cold. I'm sure the Raptor players are absolutely loving this turn of events, though they won't admit it publicly to make Toronto fans feel bad about their cold weather insecurity. Especially after Kawhi left.

ICYMI - FVV was totally on board with the team playing out of Tampa, on JJ Redick's pod. No need to feel sorry for these guys. They feel sorry for you. lol.

Obviously Tampa Bay during a Covid-19 wave in mid-winter where you can't do anything is better than any big city right now.

But to say that Tampa Bay is a better city to play in is simply ludicrous. Toronto is the 3rd biggest city in North America with so much to do, an incredible nightlife, tons of events, a passionate fan base etc.

I'm taking this:

Over this:

Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,890

Post#85 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Ramed Nazored wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:

No, "Half of Canada" doesn't spend their winters in Florida, and the Canadian's that do spend their winters in Florida are retirees. "Cold Weather Insecurity" or otherwise, Canada leads the world in pretty much every recognized measure of quality of life, and Toronto consistently ranks as one of the most livable, best cities on earth - #13 by the last count.

And funny you mentioned FVV. I bumped into him two years ago in a coffee shop. He gushed over the city. Said the weather's a non-factor as he grew up with cold winters. Guess the jokes on you.

NBA players aren't the same as your average working class family. They can enjoy the highest living standards, no matter where they are playing. Once you have fame and fortune, other things start to become important: like being around your family in the US, weather, not having to cross customs, etc... Not trying to slag Toronto in any way, but that's just a reality at that level.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#86 » by Danny1616 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

No, "Half of Canada" doesn't spend their winters in Florida, and the Canadian's that do spend their winters in Florida are retirees. "Cold Weather Insecurity" or otherwise, Canada leads the world in pretty much every recognized measure of quality of life, and Toronto consistently ranks as one of the most livable, best cities on earth - #13 by the last count.

NBA players aren't the same as your average working class family. They can enjoy the highest living standards, no matter where they are playing. Once you have fame and fortune, other things start to become important: like being around your family in the US, weather, not having to cross customs, etc... Not trying to slag Toronto in any way, but that's just a reality at that level.

Is that why a lot of NBA players choose to go to big markets even after they have fame and fortune, lmao.
Masaiah
Freshman
And1: 144

Post#87 » by Masaiah » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:50 pm

As a Lightning fan living in Toronto this thread makes me laugh. I will say though, Stamkos sticking in Tampa is all the evidence you need ;)
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#88 » by Showdown » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm

World Champions 2019 Tampa Raptors
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,724

Post#89 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:From a beautiful, pluralistic, cosmopolitan metropolis to a rightwing hellhole run by the functionary of a death cult.

Not liking this at all. Who cares about the weather. I really feel for our guys and their families, especially the rooks. They're going to miss out on the specialness of our city.

I'm guessing you haven't. Tampa has nice weather. That's the best thing I can say about it.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#90 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 pm

thebigbird wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't. Tampa has nice weather. That's the best thing I can say about it.

His description does suck though.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Re: Raptors Most Likely To Play 20-21 Season In Tampa Bay 

Post#91 » by itrsteve » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:32 pm

djsunyc wrote:mentioned elsewhere but no state tax in florida.

This was the first thing that popped in my mind. Not to mention Canada's higher tax rates in general.

Not saying that Tampa is better by any stretch, but a noticeable amount of extra cash and dodging the winter is a decent concession prize for the players
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#92 » by thebigbird » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
thebigbird wrote:

I have. It wouldn’t be my first choice to live, but it’s not a horrible place either. Idk why that guy is so angry. It’s not like the Raptors left because they wanted to. They just can’t play in their home city right now.
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#93 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:

Obviously Tampa Bay during a Covid-19 wave in mid-winter where you can't do anything is better than any big city right now.

But to say that Tampa Bay is a better city to play in is simply ludicrous. Toronto is the 3rd biggest city in North America with so much to do, an incredible nightlife, tons of events, a passionate fan base etc.

I'm taking this:

Over this:

Oh no the skyline photos are out :lol:

Bucks fans going to love this haha
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#94 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Been to Tampa twice, nice little city always enjoyed it there with the beaches, hot weather

Could be far crappier places to play for sure
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#95 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I have. It wouldn’t be my first choice to live, but it’s not a horrible place either. Idk why that guy is so angry. It’s not like the Raptors left because they wanted to. They just can’t play in their home city right now.

Not sure why either. This isn't any kind of surprise. Or it sure shouldn't be.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#96 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Masaiah wrote:As a Lightning fan living in Toronto this thread makes me laugh. I will say though, Stamkos sticking in Tampa is all the evidence you need ;)

what? that the leaves organization is trash? :lol:
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,890

Post#97 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:

Is that why a lot of NBA players choose to go to big markets even after they have fame and fortune, lmao.

It depends on the level of star. Regardless of market, for the elite superstars, I think their main priority is stackng the deck to win championships. It's all about teaming up. Nobody wanted to go to the Lakers for about a decade, until Lebron went there. Nobody wanted to go to Brooklyn, but since KD is there... now Harden wants to go there. PG chose to stay in OKC with Russ, until Kawhi enticed him to go to the Clippers. With Butler in Miami, now it's suddenly a recruiting destination again after treadmilling since Lebron left. Miami isn't even that big of a market.

I mean, DWade ended up following Lebron to Cleveland, of all places. But the whole idea of NBA players clamoring to go to big markets falls apart when you consider the Knicks, and then the Bulls.

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#98 » by scrabbarista » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 pm

As someone who's never visited either city, I think I can say with full confidence that Tampa > Toronto.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors decide to relocate the team permanently once they find out how much better it is.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,553

Post#99 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 pm

We the South
you can't kill me - i was born dead
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#100 » by Masai4PM » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm

scrabbarista wrote:As someone who's never visited either city, I think I can say with full confidence that Tampa > Toronto.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors decide to relocate the team permanently once they find out how much better it is.

Failed troll attempt.

Tampa is a nice temporary home with good weather and no state income tax, but once the vaccine is out and rolling and the Raptors come home to Toronto, this will be an afterthought.

Maybe the Raptors gain a new fanbase in Tampa.

Return to The General Board