ImageImageImage

Mathias Lessort

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Mathias Lessort 

Post#1 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Could he be the enforcer/rim protector next to KAT that we've been looking for?

Best song for a highlight video ever btw.

From 2017:
Playing with a huge motor, Mathias shows impressive physical tools, playing above the rim with the ease and having great speed in the open court and pick and roll. Lessort is a bit undersized for a center and doesnt show the type of scoring range or playmaking ability from someone who might play some power forward, even if his intensity level and length on defense does help ease some of those concerns. The way the NBA game is trending will certainly benefit him, as teams are far less reluctant to use 69 centers as in the past, especially one with Lessorts bulk. Once the NCAA Tournament comes to a close, NBA teams will likely head to France in great numbers to watch how he finishes his season and compare him with the many big men prospects hell stack up against in the Draft. Lessorts season will likely go well into May and possibly June, which will prevent him from doing as many workouts as some teams might hope. Considering the role he plays in a strong league like France, in a very comfortable scouting location such as Paris, as well as his success in European competition, NBA scouts will have plenty to work off of. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mathias-Lessort-73162/ ©DraftExpress
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: Mathias Lessort 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Is he even a Timberwolf? I don't quite understand the mechanics of the trade that went down. I thought we traded the 33 to the Knicks, who traded it to the Clippers.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 pm

MOOOOOOOAR!

I'm hyped, I think this was a clever get by Rosas and co.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Is he even a Timberwolf? I don't quite understand the mechanics of the trade that went down. I thought we traded the 33 to the Knicks, who traded it to the Clippers.

I have no idea this is the press release:

Minneapolis-St. Paul – Minnesota Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas tonight announced the team has acquired the draft rights to Mathias Lessort from the Los Angeles Clippers and a 2023 Second Round Pick from the Detroit Pistons in exchange for the draft rights to the number 33 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft Daniel Oturu.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Saw him live in 2016 or 2017 and damn, he gain some weight... I tought he was younger
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm

HOP ON THE HYPE TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!

That play that starts at 1:56 is SICK
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#7 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Is he even a Timberwolf? I don't quite understand the mechanics of the trade that went down. I thought we traded the 33 to the Knicks, who traded it to the Clippers.

Pretty sure we technically made the trade to the Clippers first and the Detroit pick + #25 went to NY for #23.

This would mean that we have him but not the Detroit pick.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#8 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Quote from his draft year:

"Mathias Lessort is a 21-year-old French prospect who currently plays in the Pro A division in France for Nanterre. Standing 6-9 with a 7-1 wingspan, Lessort plays as a bouncy, undersized center. Against quality European competition, Lessort is averaging 23 minutes per game with 10.3 points and 7.2 rebounds on the third best team in France Pro-A. Compared to his league, Lessort finished 2nd in offensive rebounds and 6th in total blocks for the 2016-2017 season. These two stats accurately represent his explosive playing style."

He's 250 pounds with a 7'1 wingspan and pretty explosive vertically. Seems like he could be a be a rim-running banger as a backup or third center.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:Quote from his draft year:

"Mathias Lessort is a 21-year-old French prospect who currently plays in the Pro A division in France for Nanterre. Standing 6-9 with a 7-1 wingspan, Lessort plays as a bouncy, undersized center. Against quality European competition, Lessort is averaging 23 minutes per game with 10.3 points and 7.2 rebounds on the third best team in France Pro-A. Compared to his league, Lessort finished 2nd in offensive rebounds and 6th in total blocks for the 2016-2017 season. These two stats accurately represent his explosive playing style."

He's 250 pounds with a 7'1 wingspan and pretty explosive vertically. Seems like he could be a be a rim-running banger as a backup or third center.

Why not play him at PF? He looks agile enough to cover multiple positions and help when guards/KAT get beat by their man.

He's basically what I wanted Wiseman to be his first year, but with legit FIRE in his game. Won't need a single play called for him, but I could see him averaging 10-12ppg easily just from dump offs/lobs from DLo/Rubio and offensive boards.

We haven't had an enforcer since Pek (that I can remember) and haven't had legit rim protection since KG. Guy looks like a beast.

He was a stash from the 2017 draft (50th pick) and has been getting solid development/experience ever since. He's ready.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Is there any intention to bring him over would be the next question.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#11 » by Dewey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 pm

load him on a plane and suit him up ... the guy is 25 years old ... now or never.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Is there any intention to bring him over would be the next question.

There's no reason to get his rights at this point in his career and not bring him over. He's entering his prime years now (he's 25).

Since he was drafted the league has shifted more towards his strengths, where as being a 6'9" Center when he was drafted was way less common.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#13 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:48 pm

I would much prefer if we sent him and No. 25 for No. 23 and kept the future second round pick.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 pm

urinesane wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Is there any intention to bring him over would be the next question.

There's no reason to get his rights at this point in his career and not bring him over. He's entering his prime years now (he's 25).

I think we’ve seen examples like this where the guy never comes over. Although that’s usually in trades with looking to dump someone without taking anything back, so maybe there is some intent here. I guess we’ll find out.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#15 » by DaMplsKid » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm

I remember hearing about him when he entered the draft looked interesting back then and now he would fit in nicely.. Is he under contract in Europe if so whats the buyout? I don't think Rosas would of asked to include him if he wasn't planning on bringing him over.

I am on the hype train for this guy. Big, strong, athletic, defense and rebounding. Looks like the ideal fit for our roster right now.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#16 » by minimus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter

It was nice to know you, Mathias.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Well $h1t.

Got hyped for nothin'.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#18 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm

urinesane wrote:

Why not play him at PF? He looks agile enough to cover multiple positions and help when guards/KAT get beat by their man.

He's basically what I wanted Wiseman to be his first year, but with legit FIRE in his game. Won't need a single play called for him, but I could see him averaging 10-12ppg easily just from dump offs/lobs from DLo/Rubio and offensive boards.

We haven't had an enforcer since Pek (that I can remember) and haven't had legit rim protection since KG. Guy looks like a beast.

He was a stash from the 2017 draft (50th pick) and has been getting solid development/experience ever since. He's ready.

I wouldn't want him to be a starting PF. He could play some minutes in that role though. Although, I'd prefer backup C.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,196

Post#19 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Rosas sent okc a 2024 second rounder in that trade? Gross
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
urinesane wrote:

I wouldn't want him to be a starting PF. He could play some minutes in that role though. Although, I'd prefer backup C.

Well it apparently doesn't matter anymore, but I'd try to get him minutes however they are available.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves