ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#81 » by elchengue20 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 pm

He's nowhere near the athlete Wade was. And he doesn't have the size (height and wingspan). Same with Mitchell. Stop dreaming.

I hope he can be the next Lou Williams. Maybe with slightly worse shooting but better defense.That would be great for us and it's realistic.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#82 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Kobblehead wrote:More like Brandon Knight/Coby White.

Nowhere near the defender or twitchy athlete that Donovan Mitchell was coming out.

Exactly. He's nothing like Donovan Mitchell. He's nowhere near that kind of athlete and athleticism is 75% of Mitchell's game.

Coby White is who I see. The only difference is Coby White was allowed to play PG in college, but Maxey's game was suppressed by having to learn to play off ball.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers_simmons
Junior
And1: 275

Post#83 » by sixers_simmons » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Hopefully Maxey doesn’t ‘pad’ his stats hehe
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#84 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:46 pm

I actually feel like he's a lower usage, less offensively efficient Collin Sexton. Both are not naturally good defenders. Both relied on slashing in college to get their points. Collin had a better shooting profile: 33.6% from 3, 77% FT. Similar height and wingspan.

It's a little disconcerting that Tyrese wasn't an offensive efficiency freak. He had SEC co-POY and shooting god Immanuel Quickley spreading out the court along with one of the better finishers in the country in Nick Richards. He was the third leading scorer on a pretty stacked UK team. The pick, to me, is 100% upside because I really felt he should have performed better than he did on offense.
Sixer4life74
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#85 » by Sixer4life74 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:57 pm

He oozes of potential
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#86 » by Eyeamok » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm

sodmoraes wrote:[youtube];feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

It seems his shot is way better in this video that it was when he was in college( his 3 was a push shot). If he could be a good shooter he has a lot of potential, since he´s a combo guard with good handles, and a good slashing game. If he could be a "Donovan Mitchell light" it would open so much for our team, to have a shot creator would be awesome, and a good karma, since we had to endure the fultz fiasco... :lol:

Jimmy Butler is irate right about now. "Young punk kid talking about working harder than anyone else. Does he know who I am ? "
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#87 » by 6ers83 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm

29% on 3s

I dunno man
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#88 » by Arsenal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:09 pm

83% from the line is the best indicator of shooting ability. Should be a good shooter in time.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#89 » by Skates » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Lou Will became a good three point shooter, he wasn’t born one. Maxey is thicker and stronger than Williams and Sexton, not as long armed as Mitchell or Wade, but thick, strong slashers are extremely effective and hard to shot block if they get into the body of a rim protector. He looks like a classic combo guard, will shoot the three better than he did at Kentucky and while not a shot blocking guard, he has strong defensive potential with his build and effort and quick, strong hands. There is always a guy at Kentucky asked to play and do things that are not their strengths, and when Calipari was interviewed on draft night he had to bite his tongue to not rip on the teams that missed on Maxey.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#90 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Calipari puts these guys in that position to inflate their efficiency along with taking alpha stars and putting them in a structure that works with other alpha stars.

Tyler Herro: 5.1 OBPM 3.8 DBPM
Keldon Johnson: 4.1 OBPM 2.6 DBPM
Malik Monk: 6.5 OBPM 2.5 DBPM
Immanuel Quickley: 5.3 OBPM 2.0 DBPM

Tyrese Maxey: 2.4 OBPM 2.0 DBPM

Not saying BPM is the ultimate decider of value, but Cal players usually have inflated BPM because of the system.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#91 » by phiphan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

He looks a step slow to me to be a slasher or creator in the nba. Hopefully the shot pans out.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#92 » by LloydFree » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

I'm optimistic he'll be a better pro than college player. Calipari coaches a horrible offensive system and has been this way for almost 30 years. His top recruit guards (except Malik Monk) are almost always better pros than college players.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#93 » by Arsenal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:30 pm

LloydFree wrote:I'm optimistic he'll be a better pro than college player. Calipari coaches a horrible offensive system and has been this way for almost 30 years. His top recruit guards (except Malik Monk) are almost always better pros than college players.

Hope so. For all his potential, Maxey's stats last year were pretty bad. If we were making a pick based on analytics there's no way we take him.

I'm guessing we factored in his high school stats, but I don't know where to find those.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#94 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 pm

LloydFree wrote:I'm optimistic he'll be a better pro than college player. Calipari coaches a horrible offensive system and has been this way for almost 30 years. His top recruit guards (except Malik Monk) are almost always better pros than college players.

It's certainly possible that he's a better pro than college player. It's encouraging that he is publicly a high effort training player that strives to be great. It's also nice that he has a large frame and shows the ability to create.

I disagree with Calipari doing some kind of disservice to his guards. Even guys like Devin Booker, who put up mediocre counting stats, was an advance stats darling with huge per 48 numbers and elite shooting percentages. Calipari had him shootings threes off the bench and asking him to play good defense. Meanwhile, pedestrian athletes but decent college players, the Harrison twins, are bad in the pros. And the stats suggest that they were just OK offensive players throughout their UK tenure.

The offense is whatever, let the best slasher get in the lane and make plays for the shooters and big men, aka Dribble Drive. It lends to top players making plays (Shai, Bledsoe, Wall, etc) and everyone else profits. Hagans was mediocre at it, I had hopes Maxey would be much better, but he was just OK.

That said, if he become a 38% three point shooter and gets to the line a bunch, then he has the aggressive offensive game to be a starter in the league. I have concerns with his defense, but he puts in the effort, so that's better than being a sieve.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#95 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 pm

phiphan wrote:He looks a step slow to me to be a slasher or creator in the nba. Hopefully the shot pans out.

I'm not concerned about that. Scoring off the dribble is second nature to Maxey. We've seen far less athletic players than Maxey light up score boards in recent years. It's all about ball handling and scoring instincts.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#96 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 pm

I also think Archie Goodwin is a cautionary tale of a UK guards who have all the pieces, put forth huge effort on defense, has all the tools, couldn't put it together during UK in an efficiency sense and didn't pan out in the league.

I know I'm being tough on Maxey (and to his credit, he didn't have the tunnel vision of Goodwin), but I think there needs to be some tempering of expectations with him.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#97 » by davesilver » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter

I know he probably says this kind of thing about all his players, but sounds pretty genuine. If he is just 75% of the Murray comparison...
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#98 » by Arsenal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Jamal Murray's college numbers blow Maxey out of the water. So do the numbers for pretty much all the stud Kentucky guards.

The only stat Maxey was superior was FT% with 83% vs. 78% for Murray.

Just have to hope that Maxey's numbers are misleading for some reason.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#99 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:42 pm

Jordan Clarkson
Austin Rivers
Coby White

Best comps for Maxey, in my eyes.

There's legitimate playoff value in being able to score off the dribble in the halfcourt. But given the defensive deficiencies, it's hard to ever imagine stardom or even being a good starter. Bench scorer, at best, IMO.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#100 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Jamal Murray was 8.1 OBPM as an offball freshman. He’s arguably the best scorer of the Calipari era. I don’t really see the comparison.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers