2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,070

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#581 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:43 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Forget Poku, Maledon is the steal.

hope u right. I'm happy we drafted him
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#582 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Two first round picks , plus Thunder have drafted Pokusevski at #17, I think that's quite a lot, if he doesn't pan out and one or two players that were selected behind him do , then you will look back and say we gave a lot in this year NBA Draft for the player who was definition of a project coming into the league .

Two late first rounders in a normal draft isn’t a lot and this was a pretty bad draft. If you have two late firsts and one of them stays in the league past their first contract, that’s about par for the course. If poku is out of the league in five years, it’ll suck but it won’t be surprising or a big deal for the thunder.

This wasn't a bad draft except at the top. We tend to measure drafts by their all star prospects, but this one was deep with potential nba players.

We didn't give up a ton, and since we got Maledon anyway I'm much happier going for the homerun.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#583 » by namlede » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Will we have a welcome to OKC thread for our draft guys?

Here are a couple full games of Poku if anyone wants to see more than highlights...
https://youtu.be/HNsin-o0Lpg
https://youtu.be/kpCyonwnY4s

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#584 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:41 pm

namlede wrote:Will we have a welcome to OKC thread for our draft guys?

Here are a couple full games of Poku if anyone wants to see more than highlights...
https://youtu.be/HNsin-o0Lpg
https://youtu.be/kpCyonwnY4s

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

We can. The board was pretty dead for the last month so I didn’t start one. Feel free to start one if you like.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
mr570
Senior
And1: 291

Post#585 » by mr570 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:42 am

a-French-Fan wrote:OKC made very good choices with Pokusevski and Malédon. Vit Krejci, I had never heard about him before draft, I only follow euroleague, french championships and french prospects abroad. Maybe someone who follows spanish championships may help us to understand this choice.

Poku:
Last year he was only playing in greek second division. Seen his body, this is a normal that Olympiacos didn't give him minutes to play in Euroleague. (he played one or two minutes once last year I guess. Maybe an Oly's follower could help). He had interesting stats in greek second division at 17 years old. I'm only worried about his 2pts % (.404). But he is a 18 years (born in december) old seven footer able to shot 3 pts, able to run ... so he is a very very good prospect. Not a NBA player for now, but OKC drafted a very very interesting profile. So let him some time, and you will say in 3 years: "We really got him with 17th pick? what a steal!"

Théo:
I was really disappointed for him, but finally I am happy to see him going to OKC.
Disappointed because #34 is a true scandal. His level is really close to Hayes' level. When Malédon was called with french national team last summer, Hayes was called with U20 national team (he refused, so was suspended, and then went to Ulm because). But ASVEL's aim was to win french championship and to win a maximum of euroleague last year, while Ulm's aim was to be the german KK Mega Leks (so it was to make Hayes drafted higher as possible). At the first mistake Théo was sent to the bench by Mitrovic, while Lakovic could let Killian on the court with 8 turnovers. Moreover, it is like if euroleague and eurocup was the same competition for NBA GMs...

However, Théo is a OKC's player now, and this is a true steal for OKC. His potential his huge. He has proved a lot of things with his first pro year (18 minutes a game in a top eurocup team with a coach that bench you when you make only one mistake). For his second pro year, after a month with french NT, he didn"t go to the world cup, but he joined ASVEL at end of the training camp. Then he had an injury, and when he reached his level COVID happened. And if you watch last ASVEL's games, you will understand that ASVEL game was improving with Malédon and Strazel as leaders! But COVID happened, and GM's only remember this unlucky second year and felt at #34 position. Moreover he is quite shy out the court, and with a virtual pre-draft process that was bad for him.
Finally, he was more alleviated than happy when he heard his name, but he was not disappointed like RJ Hampton. believe me he was certainly thinking: "let's see on the court if I am a second rounder".

So, see you in 3 months to see if OKC made a huge steal. I believe so.

I love this post. It cracks me up that not even an EuroLeague follower knows who Krejci is. Pick was so bad.

Really appreciate the insight on Poku and Maledon. I personally love Poku and can't wait to see how he turns out.
mr570
Senior
And1: 291

Post#586 » by mr570 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:00 am

Mickey8 wrote:Two first round picks , plus Thunder have drafted Pokusevski at #17, I think that's quite a lot, if he doesn't pan out and one or two players that were selected behind him do , then you will look back and say we gave a lot in this year NBA Draft for the player who was definition of a project coming into the league .

Who did we give up?

Precious Achiuwa or Josh Green? Then you would be here complaining about low-skilled, hyper athletic bigs.

Tyrese Maxey or RJ Hampton? The Thunder obviously preferred Maledon.

Zeke Nnaji or Udoka Azubuike? Yes because they are both pace and space C's.

I am genuinely curious what you think we could have done better with 25 and 28.
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#587 » by a-French-Fan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:59 am

mr570 wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:OKC made very good choices with Pokusevski and Malédon. Vit Krejci, I had never heard about him before draft, I only follow euroleague, french championships and french prospects abroad. Maybe someone who follows spanish championships may help us to understand this choice.

Poku:
Last year he was only playing in greek second division. Seen his body, this is a normal that Olympiacos didn't give him minutes to play in Euroleague. (he played one or two minutes once last year I guess. Maybe an Oly's follower could help). He had interesting stats in greek second division at 17 years old. I'm only worried about his 2pts % (.404). But he is a 18 years (born in december) old seven footer able to shot 3 pts, able to run ... so he is a very very good prospect. Not a NBA player for now, but OKC drafted a very very interesting profile. So let him some time, and you will say in 3 years: "We really got him with 17th pick? what a steal!"

Théo:
I was really disappointed for him, but finally I am happy to see him going to OKC.
Disappointed because #34 is a true scandal. His level is really close to Hayes' level. When Malédon was called with french national team last summer, Hayes was called with U20 national team (he refused, so was suspended, and then went to Ulm because). But ASVEL's aim was to win french championship and to win a maximum of euroleague last year, while Ulm's aim was to be the german KK Mega Leks (so it was to make Hayes drafted higher as possible). At the first mistake Théo was sent to the bench by Mitrovic, while Lakovic could let Killian on the court with 8 turnovers. Moreover, it is like if euroleague and eurocup was the same competition for NBA GMs...

However, Théo is a OKC's player now, and this is a true steal for OKC. His potential his huge. He has proved a lot of things with his first pro year (18 minutes a game in a top eurocup team with a coach that bench you when you make only one mistake). For his second pro year, after a month with french NT, he didn"t go to the world cup, but he joined ASVEL at end of the training camp. Then he had an injury, and when he reached his level COVID happened. And if you watch last ASVEL's games, you will understand that ASVEL game was improving with Malédon and Strazel as leaders! But COVID happened, and GM's only remember this unlucky second year and felt at #34 position. Moreover he is quite shy out the court, and with a virtual pre-draft process that was bad for him.
Finally, he was more alleviated than happy when he heard his name, but he was not disappointed like RJ Hampton. believe me he was certainly thinking: "let's see on the court if I am a second rounder".

So, see you in 3 months to see if OKC made a huge steal. I believe so.

I love this post. It cracks me up that not even an EuroLeague follower knows who Krejci is. Pick was so bad.

Really appreciate the insight on Poku and Maledon. I personally love Poku and can't wait to see how he turns out.

Oh wait ... Krejci played in spanish Championships! So ok he didn't play Euroleague, but he played in the best national league in Europe.
Killian Hayes had not such a great 1st pro year, so he left Cholet to play Eurocup. But understand this: Cholet is the french club who sent the more prospects to NBA. And they didn't play Euroleague. And I doubt that a Euroleague follower in Spain had heard about Beaubois or Gobert when they were playing in Cholet.

So don't blame front office for this pick, maybe it was a good one :) [ok, he is seriously injuried ...]
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#588 » by getrichordie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:18 am

We drafted three guys who we can be optimistic about in terms of offensive potential.

Maledon's shooting potential.
Pokusevski's shooting and playmaking potential.
Krejci's passing and defensive upside.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#589 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,070

Post#590 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:56 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Presti drafting guys that can shoot?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#591 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Dude is an athlete. Will be interesting to see how he heals from that acl tear.

With all the seconds we’ve accumulated, I bet we are gonna have a ton of euro stashes over the next five years, which I love. I like watching a bunch of prospects from afar. It’s one of the best parts of watching MLB teams with their minor league systems.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#592 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Not a lot was noteworthy. Acknowledged "very few players from any draft are impact players...when you get outside the top few the odds shrink quite a bit that you will find elite talent. You do the best to shift the odds in your favor...finding nba players is hard".

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder