ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1261 » by M3tro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Curfew is coming up next.

Just in time for New Years.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#1262 » by raptorstime » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm

Malls will be crazy this weekend, plus how will they stop ppl who will just go to York for shopping or going to bars/restaurants?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,574

Post#1263 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Curfew? I guess maybe since the only things open late shouldn’t actually be open but that’s still pretty dumb. Just close down bars all the time. The virus doesn’t wake up at night.

Schools should be the last things closed if at all possible.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,316

Post#1264 » by pilkoids » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 pm

I'm in lineup at the Warden Costco and the lineup is crazy. Standing here and refreshing for Ibaka/Fred news

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,585

Post#1265 » by AbC? » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Yeah there's no way I'm standing out in the cold for groceries. I'll drive to Milton or Oakville.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#1266 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 pm

raptorstime wrote:Malls will be crazy this weekend, plus how will they stop ppl who will just go to York for shopping or going to bars/restaurants?

Vaughan Mills is going to be a bloodbath next weekend.

Given people's selfish desire to travel great lengths to hit the gym, same with my barbershop.

If York Region keeps allowing these weddings to happen, we'll be joining Toronto and Peel very soon.
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#1267 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:06 pm

jaymeister15 wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:
I'm shocked that so many survived the last lockdown.

Yep, not to mention all the money they've spent in the last few weeks on patio heaters,tents, etc. to do what they can to stay open and make some sort of income----just to be told that outdoor dining is apparently not safe anymore either (as far as I can tell, there haven't been any outbreaks linked to patio dining)

So many of these restrictions are going to do more harm than good. Gyms in condos for example will now have to close. It was one thing to do it March and April as the weather got better (and we didn't know as much about COVID). Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing and will just be amplified 10 fold by this stuff--now you are asking everyone who lives in a condo to stay home except for essential trips and not see anyone outside their household, when the weather is cold and the sun goes down at 5 pm everyday (just as most people finish work), and now can't even go to the gym in your building to get some exercise. Where is the risk allowing people to book the gym to themselves for an hour?

As another example, how many outbreaks have been linked to hair salons with all the guidelines in place? With the thousands of people getting their haircuts every month (and all the names/contact info taken), you would think it'd be easy to link many, many outbreaks to them if they were a legitimate source of spread. I don't personally care about getting my haircut over the next however many weeks this lasts, but it's completely unfair to these business owners that have been following every protocol put in place while trying to stay afloat (and all their clients are just going to drive 15 or 20 minutes to get their services somewhere open)

My condo hasnt reopened their amenities at all because of the flip flopping by the gov't. We have an indoor pool but every time they "open", a government inspector (which costs the owners/corporation $) is needed. So they decided not to open at all because many predicted the gov't would do this.

Pretty insane to burn down the house to kill a mouse. All over a virus with a 99.86% survival rate across all ages and median age of death 83 where mainly the elderly and those with a compromised immune system are vulnerable.

That mess in the USA you ask? Canada as a whole has spent more $ on covid even though our GDP isn't even one-tenth that of the USA without moving the needle much.

Pretty soon you'll need to take a vaccine produced that was produced in a short time period if you want to do things like travel etc. Enjoy and good luck.
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#1268 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:Straight mental what's going on in Toronto and Peel only a matter of time before it happens else where across the country Gatineau just moved to code red.

Man, i wished i lived in Florida.

To a worse hotzone???????

Yes, i'll take my chances - I only have one life to live and i'm healthy.

I know many entrepreneurs doing the same. Believe me more people would if they didn't have 9-5 obligations.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,317

Post#1269 » by D.Brasco » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
raptorstime wrote:Malls will be crazy this weekend, plus how will they stop ppl who will just go to York for shopping or going to bars/restaurants?

Vaughan Mills is going to be a bloodbath next weekend.

Given people's selfish desire to travel great lengths to hit the gym, same with my barbershop.

If York Region keeps allowing these weddings to happen, we'll be joining Toronto and Peel very soon.

Agreed it's so stupid. It's like they are actively trying to get their cases count to match toronto and peel's.

The first lockdown worked because we locked down before we had 1,500 cases a day.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#1270 » by DG88 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:Straight mental what's going on in Toronto and Peel only a matter of time before it happens else where across the country Gatineau just moved to code red.

Man, i wished i lived in Florida.

To a worse hotzone???????

To each their own but I'm more so worried about long term side effects of the disease, which is why I'm not taking any chances.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,803

Post#1271 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:23 pm

So are gyms going to close again in Peel starting Monday? I missed the news
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#1272 » by Raptaz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
DG88 wrote:To a worse hotzone???????

I know many entrepreneurs doing the same. Believe me more people would if they didn't have 9-5 obligations.

So all the people dying doesn't put things into perspective for you? small percentage still means 1000s of people.

How do you know you aren't asymptomatic and are spreading it to the ones dying?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#1273 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 am

Remarks from Australia.

In the state of South Australia, we got 20 new cases of community spread and went into total lockdown immediately for 6 days, construction, schools, cafes, takeaway food, everything except essential services. Vigorous testing and contact tracing contained it with 3 thousand in quarantine, we have now opened back up in only 4 days. That's the way to do it, hit it with a sledgehammer.

And in Western Australia, no community transfers or cases at all for 6 months except International arrivals who are in mandatory 14 day quarantine as soon as they arrive . Dr Fauci you are right in Aust many states got the spikes from big family events and quarantine hotel breaches . Australia has very very few cases USA need to copy our model we have the evidence and data how to manage it safely now

Politics aside. I support whatever Marshall is doing. Came out of lockdown in Melbourne. It wasn't great for some but we have had over two weeks of zero cases. We are still cautious here but in the long run it was worth it.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#1274 » by Wo1verine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:46 am

Did you know the average age of death from Covid in Alberta is 82?
Today, a reporter asked Doug Ford why Ontario doesn't release the same data for Ontario. Ford called upon Dr Williams to answer the question. The Dr then stepped around the question without actually answering it.
We know they have the data so why not release it? My guess is because it will show a similar age as Alberta and even less people will take this seriously. Now, that doesn't mean that we should let our elder pop suffer. But it does mean that we should protect them.
Protect them so we can protect ourselves, our businesses , our futures and our children's future.

BrunoSkull
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#1275 » by mtcan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:00 am

Wo1verine wrote:Did you know the average age of death from Covid in Alberta is 82?
Today, a reporter asked Doug Ford why Ontario doesn't release the same data for Ontario. Ford called upon Dr Williams to answer the question. The Dr then stepped around the question without actually answering it.
We know they have the data so why not release it? My guess is because it will show a similar age as Alberta and even less people will take this seriously. Now, that doesn't mean that we should let our elder pop suffer. But it does mean that we should protect them.
Protect them so we can protect ourselves, our businesses , our futures and our children's future.

You do realize that it's not just the elderly that are vulnerable...right?

You know who else is vulnerable? People with:
cancer
diabetes
autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, etc.
obesity
cardiovascular disease
organ transplants
asthma
COPD
smokers

And you do realize that most of these people aren't elderly. You're going to isolate them too? There might be more of these people than average healthy people in the population.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,574

Post#1276 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 am

And there isn’t a you die or you’re fine dichotomy either.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#1277 » by Wo1verine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 am

mtcan wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:Did you know the average age of death from Covid in Alberta is 82?

cancer
diabetes
obesity
cardiovascular disease
organ transplants
asthma
COPD
smokers

And you do realize that most of these people aren't elderly. You're going to isolate them too? There might be more of these people than average healthy people in the population.

Who is it killing? Old people who are really sick so sick that they can't take care of themselves and are put in old age homes to die.

Insane amount of people have those issues you mentioned and aren't dying enough with covid to justify these restrictions especially in Toronto and Peel.
BrunoSkull
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#1278 » by mtcan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:13 am

Wo1verine wrote:
mtcan wrote:

cancer
diabetes
obesity
cardiovascular disease
organ transplants
asthma
COPD
smokers

Who is it killing? Old people who are really sick so sick that they can't take care of themselves and are put in old age homes to die.

Insane amount of people have those issues you mentioned and aren't dying enough to justify these restrictions especially in Toronto and Peel.

WRONG. People with these conditions are the ones ending up on a ventilator in ICU. This is also why the US leads the WORLD in covid deaths...cuz they are fat and unhealthy. Not necessarily because they are old.

And I can tell you first hand...what the covid ICU ventilator population is like...because I have seen them in person. Ask a nurse how hard it is to prone a 250 lb patient with all sorts of tubes going into him in a medically induced coma because he can't breathe well enough on a vent...they will tell you. You do know what proning is...??
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#1279 » by Kurtz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 am

This is a very disingenuous argument. People are not being paid CERB to stay home. Those who have jobs are not receiving CERB. Those who've lost their jobs/income to COVID are getting CERB.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#1280 » by YogiStewart » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 am

AbC? wrote:Yeah there's no way I'm standing out in the cold for groceries. I'll drive to Milton or Oakville.

might as well act in real life like you act on this forum:
go somewhere where you aren't wanted

Return to Toronto Raptors