ImageImageImage

Troy Weaver’s Free Agency Plan!!!!!

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Troy Weaver’s Free Agency Plan!!!!! 

Post#1 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm

That’s it. Check back in a two weeks for tradeable one year deals.

Stick with the plan, Troy........
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Re: Troy Weaver’s Free Agency Plan!!!!! 

Post#2 » by Billl » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 pm

It sure sounded like Weaver wanted to mix things up in free agency too. Guess we will see shortly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Is there anyone here that really wanted us to spend, other than potentially on retaining Christian Wood?
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Snakebites wrote:Is there anyone here that really wanted us to spend, other than potentially on retaining Christian Wood?

I don't even want to spend on that, TBH. Christian Wood was good because of his production on such a valuable contract. Tearing an entire team down doesn't mesh with paying someone $15+ million per for less than one year worth of production.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Liqourish wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Is there anyone here that really wanted us to spend, other than potentially on retaining Christian Wood?

I don't even want to spend on that, TBH. Christian Wood was good because of his production on such a valuable contract. Tearing an entire team down doesn't mesh with paying someone $15+ million per for less than one year worth of production.

For me it depends on the price tag there.

If the asking price is too high I think you have to let him walk.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#6 » by LaSheed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Derrick Jones Jr and Giles. About it
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#7 » by bstein14 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:57 pm

According to Weaver, he plans to ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK in Free Agency. 3 hours from now we'll be aggressively going after 3 or 4 guys to fill out the rest of our roster.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#8 » by BJK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Wood on a $15 mm annual deal is still a very tradable deal. Young, athletic bigs that can create for themselves and that possess legitimate outside range just don’t grow on trees.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#9 » by chrbal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Resign Wood. Unless the price is insane, or some other team offers a good return in a sign and trade. I think it still makes sense even with everything that has happened so far.

Josh Jackson. Low cost possible high return guy. Has Michigan ties, is still young, and Memphis seemed to humble him. With everything that happened it doesn’t seem to fit anymore.

Harry Giles. I still think he’d be worth it. Another cheap ish contract possible high return guy. I think he’s 22.

If Rose gets traded, I think we should sign a new veteran to help the young guys. Another cheap type deal. Although if we could pull off Rose and another expiring (even McGruder or Bradley) to New Orleans for Bledsoe and a pair of 1sts which would probably be from the Lakers, that would be a good asset grab while adding a fit for the roster. With $3.9 million owed in 2023/24, has basically an expensive two year contract.

I wanted a project wing, but I feel like we took care of that.
BJK1
Senior

Post#10 » by BJK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:18 pm

chrbal wrote:

Resign Wood. Unless the price is insane, or some other team offers a good return in a sign and trade. I think it still makes sense even with everything that has happened so far.

Josh Jackson. Low cost possible high return guy. Has Michigan ties, is still young, and Memphis seemed to humble him. With everything that happened it doesn’t seem to fit anymore.

Harry Giles. I still think he’d be worth it. Another cheap ish contract possible high return guy. I think he’s 22.

If Rose gets traded, I think we should sign a new veteran to help the young guys. Another cheap type deal. Although if we could pull off Rose and another expiring (even McGruder or Bradley) to New Orleans for Bledsoe and a pair of 1sts which would probably be from the Lakers, that would be a good asset grab while adding a fit for the roster. With $3.9 million owed in 2023/24, has basically an expensive two year contract.

I wanted a project wing, but I feel like we took care of that.

I like the idea of targeting Jackson and Giles. Depending on what they do with Rose, maybe a guy like DJ Augustin would be a target. Played in OKC after the Reggie trade, so Weaver is very familiar with him. Just look for guys to hold the fort down, while they build through the draft.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#11 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm

BJK1 wrote:Wood on a $15 mm annual deal is still a very tradable deal. Young, athletic bigs that can create for themselves and that possess legitimate outside range just don’t grow on trees.

This is a good point. Wood at $15 million can be traded for something down the road. Very few guys his size, with shooting and his abilities.

Hayes
------
Sekou
Wood
Stewart

That has a good deal of potential. Can Sekou guard SGs?

Add Bey in there at SF with Sekou at the SG. I read an article that Bey covered the best guy on the other team, PG and SG included. Its college though, so probably few elite PG with speed and moves.

But Hayes, Sekou, Bey, Wood, Stewart is an athletic bunch, thats for sure.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#12 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Liqourish wrote:

For me it depends on the price tag there.

If the asking price is too high I think you have to let him walk.

I think Wood is a fine young player. I have no problem with him being part of the Pistons' future because his skill set fits well with today's NBA. But here's the thing--he wants to get paid, NOW. And his performance was based on a pretty small sample size, not to mention that now is not the time for the Pistons to start overpaying for anyone. I like the guy but this is supposed to be a 2-3 year process if done correctly, and potentially overpaying a guy while the team still sucks (for lack of a better term) just doesn't make sense. I don't think the idea that there isn't another Christian Wood out there, either in a future draft or at the time the Pistons are ready to starting thinking "Ok--NOW is the time we need that $15-20M/year Christian Wood type of player from free agency," is realistic. I think Pistons fans sometimes become somewhat over-enamored with any glimmer of hope we see around here because we haven't seen much lately.

Look at it this way...If cap space is used to overpay Christian Wood vs taking on salary and additional picks and then he bombs out, becomes disgruntled because the team isn't winning enough, etc., where do you go from there? Now you're stuck with him.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#13 » by Kilo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Is Josh Jackson the guy with the 43yr old Baby Mama?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
BJK1
Senior

Post#14 » by BJK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#15 » by Han Solo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Giles has been who I’ve wanted for awhile.

Would be pumped if we got him. He’s trending up and has a motor. Phenomenal passer for a big too. Very athletic.

If we got him cheap, would be great.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#16 » by bstein14 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Based on how he said he plans on attacking FA, if its anything like draft day he'll have offers out to 5 players even though we can only afford to sign two of them.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#17 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 am

This.didn’t.go.according.to.plan
kingmob
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#18 » by kingmob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:51 am

Next guys to be signed are Dwight Howard, Hassan Whiteside, Tristan Thompson or Marc Gasol.

I understand Weaver now. He is a trend setter, going back to old school basketball, heavy in the post, dominating all these weak teams.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#19 » by Phenomenonsense » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
BJK1 wrote:Wood on a $15 mm annual deal is still a very tradable deal. Young, athletic bigs that can create for themselves and that possess legitimate outside range just don’t grow on trees.

This is a good point. Wood at $15 million can be traded for something down the road. Very few guys his size, with shooting and his abilities.

Hayes
------
Sekou
Wood
Stewart

That has a good deal of potential. Can Sekou guard SGs?

Add Bey in there at SF with Sekou at the SG. I read an article that Bey covered the best guy on the other team, PG and SG included. Its college though, so probably few elite PG with speed and moves.

But Hayes, Sekou, Bey, Wood, Stewart is an athletic bunch, thats for sure.

Sekou can't even guard his man but you're gonna put him in front of a SG?
bstein14
RealGM

Post#20 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 am

Trey Burke signed a 3 year $10 million deal with Dallas... He is a guy I would have been thrilled to sign at 3 years $12 million. I still think he has a lot of upside and he played well for Dallas in the playoffs. I think he'd be a perfect scoring guard off the bench for cheap.

Return to Detroit Pistons