ImageImageImageImageImage

Exactly what type of package would it take to get Westbrook?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,890

Re: Exactly what type of package would it take to get Westbrook? 

Post#81 » by KnixinSix » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am

Cookies4Life wrote:It's interesting to hear some of these takes on Westbrook. he didn't fare very well during the playoffs last year, but he did average over 27 ppg, 8 rebounds and 7 assists last season on over 21 PER and the last 3 months of the season he put up scorching numbers at over 30 ppg, 8 rpg and 8 apg.

I get it, he's a terrible 3 point shooter, his shot selection at times is questionable (to put it mildly,) but lets not talk about him like he's some bum on his last leg. He's still an extremely productive player who happened to play last season out of his element which was off the ball a lot more than he's normally accustomed to (which makes sense playing alongside another high usage player in Harden.)

With Russell at least you know the guy plays hard every game and takes losing personally. His cut throat mentality would be such a refreshing change and would probably rub off on guys like Dennis Smith Jr who I'd hope would emulate Russell's style of play and Frankie as well.

With Westbrook leading the helm and playing with his high usage/on the ball like his OKC days, this team will be able to run the floor a lot more and guys like Toppin and Robinson would thrive alongside him.

I get the negatives with Westbrook- that contract is just abysmal and my gosh that final year at 45 million for a guy who will be 35 years old is frightening. I guess the only positive is he'd be an expiring that season which could end up being a blessing in using him for a package in that summer before his final season to trade him for a disgruntled superstar on a long term deal.

As far as what to give up to get him? I'd hope the Rockets first trade Harden so everyone will know they're in full rebuild mode. At that point, Westbrook's contract will be a severe albatross so they couldn't expect to get anything for him besides a salary dump type of situation.

I'd only package Randle in the deal, I don't know if we're allowed to just absorb the remainder of Russell's contract without matching up close salary wise (i.e. around 27-30 million going out,) but if that was the case, I'd do it. I'd like to try and pry at least 1 pick from Houston to helping them accelerate their rebuild, but I absolutely would NOT include any of our young players in the deal. Regardless of what people think of Kevin Knox or Dennis Smith, I don't want to lose them in this package. Randle is ok to get rid of since I'd much rather see Toppin start alongside Robinson.

It would be a very fun season next year, i still think WB has plenty left in the tank and as the primary ballhandler I can see him back to his triple double averages. My only concern with him has been his shot selection and I'd hope a head strong coach like Thibs would know how to reel him in a little bit. Some are making the possibility of him coming here to be an apocalyptic event and I don't see it that way. We'd just need 2 productive years out of him and he'd make for a fine trade piece in that final expiring season.

The contract has 3 years left and he'll be 35 not 38, he isn't an iron man player in terms of injury but I wouldnt call him Kyrie fragile either.

Even in the case he should he not play well that last year of his contract it will have tremendous value as an expiring.

I like the match up of him and Thibs and believe Thibs could get the most out of him.

Pull off getting him and Heyward and we have a team that could contend/make noise in the East. We would be relevant again. The X factors would become if and how quickly could guys like Barrett and Mitch become legit complementary stars. And then can guys like Reggie and Quickly be legit 3 ballers with Westbrook getting them open looks with the attention he gets driving the lane
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,405

Post#82 » by robillionaire » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 am

KnixinSix wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:It's interesting to hear some of these takes on Westbrook. he didn't fare very well during the playoffs last year, but he did average over 27 ppg, 8 rebounds and 7 assists last season on over 21 PER and the last 3 months of the season he put up scorching numbers at over 30 ppg, 8 rpg and 8 apg.

I get it, he's a terrible 3 point shooter, his shot selection at times is questionable (to put it mildly,) but lets not talk about him like he's some bum on his last leg. He's still an extremely productive player who happened to play last season out of his element which was off the ball a lot more than he's normally accustomed to (which makes sense playing alongside another high usage player in Harden.)

With Russell at least you know the guy plays hard every game and takes losing personally. His cut throat mentality would be such a refreshing change and would probably rub off on guys like Dennis Smith Jr who I'd hope would emulate Russell's style of play and Frankie as well.

With Westbrook leading the helm and playing with his high usage/on the ball like his OKC days, this team will be able to run the floor a lot more and guys like Toppin and Robinson would thrive alongside him.

I get the negatives with Westbrook- that contract is just abysmal and my gosh that final year at 45 million for a guy who will be 35 years old is frightening. I guess the only positive is he'd be an expiring that season which could end up being a blessing in using him for a package in that summer before his final season to trade him for a disgruntled superstar on a long term deal.

As far as what to give up to get him? I'd hope the Rockets first trade Harden so everyone will know they're in full rebuild mode. At that point, Westbrook's contract will be a severe albatross so they couldn't expect to get anything for him besides a salary dump type of situation.

I'd only package Randle in the deal, I don't know if we're allowed to just absorb the remainder of Russell's contract without matching up close salary wise (i.e. around 27-30 million going out,) but if that was the case, I'd do it. I'd like to try and pry at least 1 pick from Houston to helping them accelerate their rebuild, but I absolutely would NOT include any of our young players in the deal. Regardless of what people think of Kevin Knox or Dennis Smith, I don't want to lose them in this package. Randle is ok to get rid of since I'd much rather see Toppin start alongside Robinson.

It would be a very fun season next year, i still think WB has plenty left in the tank and as the primary ballhandler I can see him back to his triple double averages. My only concern with him has been his shot selection and I'd hope a head strong coach like Thibs would know how to reel him in a little bit. Some are making the possibility of him coming here to be an apocalyptic event and I don't see it that way. We'd just need 2 productive years out of him and he'd make for a fine trade piece in that final expiring season.

The contract has 3 years left and he'll be 35 not 38, he isn't an iron man player in terms of injury but I wouldnt call him Kyrie fragile either.

Even in the case he should he not play well that last year of his contract it will have tremendous value as an expiring.

I like the match up of him and Thibs and believe Thibs could get the most out of him.

Pull off getting him and Heyward and we have a team that could contend/make noise in the East. We would be relevant again. The X factors would become if and how quickly could guys like Barrett and Mitch become legit complementary stars. And then can guys like Reggie and Quickly be legit 3 ballers with Westbrook getting them open looks with the attention he gets driving the lane

for the record he'd be 34 when it was over not 35
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,890

Post#83 » by KnixinSix » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:59 am

robillionaire wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

for the record he'd be 34 when it was over not 35

Even more reason to like it:

SF:RJ/Hayward/Bullock
PF:Hayward/Toppin
C:Mitch/Toppin
SG:Bullock/Westbrook
PG:Westbrook/Quickly
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#84 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 am

robillionaire wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:My guess remains that ORL, if still in take whatever success we can get mode, will trade for him

they drafted cole though. and still have fultz, maybe others I'm not thinking of.

That's true. Maybe load up on PGs after years of having none
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,588

Post#85 » by Meat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 am

gross, why would you even put that out there. lets pair a famously selfish pg with a team full of 20-22 yearolds that need touches
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,321

Post#86 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 am

I went to see if Westbrook follows any of the top picks in the draft and he only follows Obi Toppin on Instagram lol
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,736

Post#87 » by aggo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 am

to be honest, it should take literally nothing given we dont need to do any cap magic to take on his contract.

and because of that, they ought to be PAYING US to take that contract off their hands.

you dont bid against yourself. Randle or shove it.
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#88 » by nyczlegacy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 am

he's trash

literally black hole when the game gets to 2 minutes in the 4th and he's old as **** why do you guys still want him?

get yourselves ready for (in the final 2 minutes):

Russell Westbrook out of bounds lost ball turnover
Russell Westbrook offensive foul turnover
Russell Westbrook technical foul (1st)
Russell Westbrook misses 39 foot three point jumper
Russell Westbrook makes layup (2 feet) NYK 87 BKN 140

Believe me I've watched many Westbrook games
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#89 » by blanko » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 am

Westbrook and 3 firsts, 3 seconds for randle.

Lol

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#90 » by Spot31 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 am

KnixinSix wrote:

If we could land Hayward and Westbrook, we are definitely making it past the first round.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#91 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

why the fk do people even want Westbrook? We are no where close to competing also...
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,126

Post#92 » by Tron Carter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:28 pm

R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#93 » by Tron Carter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:why the fk do people even want Westbrook? We are no where close to competing also...

never underestimate how stupid this fanbase is.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#94 » by Tron Carter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:33 pm

moocow007 wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
seren wrote:Other than Randle and DSJr, I don't think we should give up anything else. Maybe couple of second rounders. Taking that salary would already be a big favor to Houston.

Ultimately is that enough or will we have to include a 1st rounder? Houston is claiming they are 'comfortable ' going in to the season with both even if they are unhappy campers (Harden and Westbrook). Gamesmanship or will Houston hold out for picks too?

What the Suns gave up for CP3 scares me a bit when it comes to what Houston might expect for Westbrook. Sure, 2 different players and CP3's massive contract is 1 year shorter but Westbrook is younger and a better individual talent so it does offset some. I'd expect that the CP3 package be the absolute upper limit of what the Rockets would want from a value standpoint. Then it's the job of Rose and his team to haggle it down to just Randle, Smith Jr and maybe one of those Dallas picks?

nah it’s their job to hang up the phone. not engage at all.

Westbrook maybe “younger” but his body is older and he’s more wasted energy then talent. he’s not better then cp3 even at this stage in their respective careers. stop it.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#95 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Deez Nutz is the only type of package im willing to give them
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,432

Post#96 » by JXL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:15 am

Wingo's soul, shammgod's soul, mpharris' house, Van Gully's firstborn, and an unprotected 1st rounder (or a used condom).

In short, moving heaven and earth, which is why this will NEVER happen.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL

Return to New York Knicks