ImageImageImage

Pistons waiving and stretching Dedmon. WTF!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Re: Pistons waiving and stretching Dedmon. WTF! 

Post#21 » by Liqourish » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:46 am

:D
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 am

Kilo wrote:McGruder as well it seems. So Detroit opens up 14M with the combined stretch releases. but Is on the hook for $4M a year for the next five seasons.

Yeah. The Blake thing is a fantasy. We traded for those weird 2 year deals so we could generate cap space to do...this. I could cry.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#23 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 am

These are incoherent, stop taking my crazy meds moves.

This is all time bad. People will remember this as the Weaver nightmare.

Someone will have to try and piece all this together into a big chart just so people can understand how bad each of these moves was, then how each just made the one before it worse.

Just cut everyone and sign a bunch of g-leaguers. Was it that f-ing hard man?
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#24 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 am

Damn. You guys seem like you’re about to drink bleach or drive your car off a bridge. Forgot how wildly negative it gets on here sometimes.

I think it’s fine to thrash what’s going on, after we see a finished product. I don’t think we are done.

If we are done making moves, then I understand the frustration for sure. But it’s still the first night of FA. Haha
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#25 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 am

Snakebites wrote:
The Moose wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Keep believing the miracle if you want. I live in the real world.

I doubt I’d actually walk away. I’m really close to wanting to though.

I mean it has no effect on my personal life or my real word in any way, why would I not believe, it costs me nothing

I care whether my beliefs are true. If you don’t that’s you.

i'd didnt say i had a belief, having 'faith' in something is having hope. If the trade doesn't occur, you realise my hope in the trade occuring will also disappear. You needlessly quoted my post in the first place and I'm not sure why
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#26 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 am

Hopefully the 3rd year of this Grant contract has only $1 million guaranteed so we can stretch that bitch out over 5 years after next season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#27 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:50 am

Han Solo wrote:Damn. You guys seem like you’re about to drink bleach or drive your car off a bridge. Forgot how wildly negative it gets on here sometimes.

I think it’s fine to thrash what’s going on, after we see a finished product. I don’t think we are done.

If we are done making moves, then I understand the frustration for sure. But it’s still the first night of FA. Haha

Yes, and in one night we’ve spend 28 million per year on 2 million and created stretch cap holds on level to the one we just got out of with Smith.

None of that’s gonna go away.

I was with you until Grant got 20 mill.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#28 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:52 am

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:McGruder as well it seems. So Detroit opens up 14M with the combined stretch releases. but Is on the hook for $4M a year for the next five seasons.

Yeah. The Blake thing is a fantasy. We traded for those weird 2 year deals so we could generate cap space to do...this. I could cry.

Dedmon is a perfectly fine veteran center. Not sure why you stretch him to sign Plumlee.

And why sign Grant if you keep Griffin? Where is Sekou, Bey going to play? Is Ariza still here or is he moving to Denver in a S&T for Grant. If Blake isn't being moved out I begin to worry it's Ariza and Sekou for Grant or something ridiculous.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#29 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:52 am

Han Solo wrote:Damn. You guys seem like you’re about to drink bleach or drive your car off a bridge. Forgot how wildly negative it gets on here sometimes.

99% of us want to finally rebuild. We had hope that during the draft that's exactly what would be happening. Our frustration is born out of confusion because these moves, of which there are many, are completely counter intuitive to what a rebuilding franchise should be doing. Sure it's possible that he's 4d Chessing the whole league right now, but that appears less likely by the minute.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#30 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:53 am

bstein14 wrote:Hopefully the 3rd year of this Grant contract has only $1 million guaranteed so we can stretch that bitch out over 5 years after next season.

I literally LOL'ed
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#31 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 am

Snakebites wrote:

Yes, and in one night we’ve spend 28 million per year on 2 million and created stretch cap holds on level to the one we just got out of with Smith.

None of that’s gonna go away.

I was with you until Grant got 20 mill.

I hear ya man. But me personally, I’m going to refrain from trashing it until I see our opening night roster.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,105

Post#32 » by NYPiston » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 am

I think people are frustrated because it finally looked like Weaver had a real plan then he did what the previous GMs did by clogging up cap space with mulit-year deals to mediocre players and stretching out a player that he had no need to. Could have just let Snell's contract expire and be done with it instead of trading for 5 years of dead cap, not to mention the 4 2nds that he added to the Kennard deal. No matter what the other moves are, it still doesn't take the stink of these moves.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 am

NYPiston wrote:

I think people are frustrated because it finally looked like Weaver had a real plan then he did what the previous GMs did by clogging up cap space with mulit-year deals to mediocre players and stretching out a player that he had no need to. Could have just let Snell's contract expire and be done with it instead of trading for 5 years of dead cap, not to mention the 4 2nds that he added to the Kennard deal. No matter what the other moves are, it still doesn't take the stink of these moves.

Agreed. This feels like Leuer, Galloway, Boban, Smith, CV, Gordon, etc.

We thought Weaver was different.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#34 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 am

I figured it out.

Trading for Dedmon just to stretch him + signing Plumlee just to stretch him = how we have enough cap to give Jerami Grant all that money!
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#35 » by 440BB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 am

I strongly suspect the Dedmon stretch became necessary to give us cap space to accommodate a new opportunity that popped up. Not planned but a strategic adjustment.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#36 » by Laimbeer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am

Would OKC take Weaver back if we attached a pick? Oh wait our firsts are tied up and our seconds are gone.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#37 » by coordinator0 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 am

Read on Twitter
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#38 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 am

Wouldn’t it have been better to just hang onto Snell for one more season?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#39 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:23 am

Piston Pete wrote:Wouldn’t it have been better to just hang onto Snell for one more season?

As much as I dislike Snell, it would have been. Not only for the long term cap ramifications, but you can justify permanently benching Snell. Weaver didn't sign Grant & Plumlee just to see them ride the bench. They will be out there sucking up minutes that Bey/Sekou/Stewart/Jackson should be playing.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#40 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:34 am

Well it appears that the Ariza trade is moving towards becoming official.

How long until Weaver, stretches him too?

Return to Detroit Pistons