ImageImageImageImageImage

Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Senior
And1: 404

Re: Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8 

Post#401 » by 1999 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Meat wrote:
1999 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
I've come around on the pick, but Amare and Tyson Chandler really didn't work that well.

Not awful, but...a little bit not the greatest fit.

36-30 season 1
54-28 season 2 and the only semblance of good guard play, so there's a way to say this current thing could work if....
37-45 season 3

And those teams had Carmelo Anthony. Knicks have RJ.

Anyway, Knicks being contenders or Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'm ok with the pick.
The needed a PG/Wing who could create for themselves and others in the worst way, but again, when Rose & Co took over, I figured even with aggressive trading/FA/drafting, it was still going to take 2-3 years to be a playoff team. Maybe longer if the focus was draft/youth heavy.

Tyson and Stat didn’t work well because of Melo. Not because of Stat. Stat thrived with bigs like Robin Lopez and Shaq, so playing with another big wasn’t the problem. Him and Melo just occupied the same spaces on offense. Mitch and Obi, in theory should work but Knicks obviously need a PG ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what kind of revisionist history is this, shaq and amre were terrible together, their one full season was the only time Phoenix dropped below 50 wins during the amare era.

They weren’t the same for many reasons. Not just because of Amare and Shaq. Amare put up the same numbers and Shaq had a resurgence of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#402 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Garbagelo wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

This trainer has been trash since he got popular

Clientele: Kanter? Harden? THJ? PUKE

Thought we wanted Obi to work on his defense

Where is Marcell Scott, AD and Mitch's trainer?

I agree with this.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,346

Post#403 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,100

Post#404 » by Fat Kat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

This trainer has been trash since he got popular

Clientele: Kanter? Harden? THJ? PUKE

Thought we wanted Obi to work on his defense

Where is Marcell Scott, AD and Mitch's trainer?

I agree with this.

It doesn’t even look like Brickley trains these guys. Always looks like “shooting around” photo ops.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#405 » by Besart19 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Westbrook
Ntilikina
RJ Barrett
Toppin
Robinson

New York Brickerbockers
Strength and Honour!
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#406 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 am

I'm a Mitch >>> Obi person and I just struggle to see how they can be on the same team.

Ofc, if the FO trades one of them then the pick becomes a decent decision. For best immediate-trade-value available Obi's a defensible pick in the #8 position NYK found themselves. Arguably Deni would have been better, but :shrug:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,916

Post#407 » by blueNorange » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:56 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:I'm a Mitch >>> Obi person and I just struggle to see how they can be on the same team.

Ofc, if the FO trades one of them then the pick becomes a decent decision. For best immediate-trade-value available Obi's a defensible pick in the #8 position NYK found themselves. Arguably Deni would have been better, but :shrug:

you can struggle, nobody cares.

obi was bpa.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,594

Post#408 » by El Poochio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:03 am

Jeffrey wrote:Is Obi a better version Knox?

Kobe without K

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
El Poochio

Post#409 » by El Poochio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 am

SelbyCobra wrote:Set up his own shot with the handle, shot a three, and then turned to their bench before it went in. :o

This is outrageous

How can anyone watch his highlights and hate him

El Poochio

Post#410 » by El Poochio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 am

We have to make sure to build right around this guy and not fail with team building like we did with Prime Melo (no this doesnt mean going absolute win now with vets)

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#411 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 am

blueNorange wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:I'm a Mitch >>> Obi person and I just struggle to see how they can be on the same team.

you can struggle, nobody cares.

obi was bpa.

ok. so you didn't read all of my post. glgl.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#412 » by whocares1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:We drafted Amare with a 3-pointer at #8 and you guys are complaining?

I've come around on the pick, but Amare and Tyson Chandler really didn't work that well.

36-30 season 1
54-28 season 2 and the only semblance of good guard play, so there's a way to say this current thing could work if....
37-45 season 3

Anyway, Knicks being contenders or Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'm ok with the pick.
The needed a PG/Wing who could create for themselves and others in the worst way, but again, when Rose & Co took over, I figured even with aggressive trading/FA/drafting, it was still going to take 2-3 years to be a playoff team. Maybe longer if the focus was draft/youth heavy.

i think we should kind of look at the lakers construction. not saying RJ or obi are lebron or AD. but reading the tea leaves and even how obi describes RJ as a "tall point guard," i'm thinking that's kinda the vibes. surround their dynamic talent with shooting and stifling defense. mitch is perfect even if he may be underutilized. and you then really just need the guards who will GSD, which is why i get the quickley pick. FVV makes sense as a FA target today. and reggie bullock is perfect.

Only RJ is 100% not a tall point guard. Mitch isn’t perfect because defenses don’t have to guard him around the perimeter so they can stack up the paint which is where Obi is supposed to strive in. Listen if RJ doesn’t improve drastically on his outside shot, and Mitch refuses to take any out there then the floor spacing issue on offense of last season will still exist. If the Knicks don’t get outside shooters for the 1 and 3 positions then for sure the Knicks are going to suck again.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#413 » by BugginOut » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:45 am

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Melo so he could show Obi some post moves. When KP was here you could definitely see that he molded his game around Melo. Obi is so explosive he can definitely learn to do those quick first step moves Melo used to get to the rim.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#414 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:01 am

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:
Can you let him play a damn game? Like damn. Talking about getting your panties in a bunch. Just let him play and THEN bash him if he doesn't play up to expectations. This is just like a damn child who didn't get what he wanted and throw a damn tantrum. You do realize he's going to be playing under Thibs and Payne right? That alone will do wonders for him. I didn't even want him but I sure as hell won't bash a kid before he can step a foot on an NBA court.

Bro ..... you acting real defensive of a player who is flawed. He is flawed.... you acting like you know the kid or are an employee of MSG/CAA

No but I do believe in allowing someone to prove themselves before passing judgement. Apparently, you have all the answers and can see into the future. Surprised as all hell that you haven't won the lotto yet. There have been plenty of players that everyone projected as projects and having flaws that came into the league and took over. Just use Donavan Mitchell as a case study (Perrin pushed hard to land this kid). Everyone thought he needed time to develop and BOOM he came in and took over. All I'm saying is give the kid a damn chance.

Actually people thought he didn't have any potential cuz he was drafted at about 21 or 22 himself. And here is where Toppin may have an edge. Or better yet a counter argument as to why I should chill out. His nba readiness. He'll have to get in the gym and learn that nba players muscle, ex. private trainers, dieticians, that cryo stuff they do. But its not like Frank or Knox or just about everyone else we draft where its like "wait till he fills out" or " hes gotta figure out how his body works"

As you can see I've taken a positive approach since yesterday. Still have my opinions about him but today and maybe until I see him lose his man backdoor I'll include what he is good at in my speak of him. They are critical errors though. But yeah, hes got a simple skillset but its fierce and focused and he knows what he's good at and not good at and he exploits what his strengths are. And hes got a decent chance that those strengths will stay strengths in the nba comparatively to other rookies.

But yes Thibs and KP have work to do.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#415 » by GEOLINK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:56 am

Damn it we could've used Amar'e to teach Obi some post moves...
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#416 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:10 pm

BugginOut wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Melo so he could show Obi some post moves. When KP was here you could definitely see that he molded his game around Melo. Obi is so explosive he can definitely learn to do those quick first step moves Melo used to get to the rim.

Yeah KP Molded his game around Melo and shot 42% as a 7'3 Forward.

Hardaway did the same thing.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#417 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Damn it we could've used Amar'e to teach Obi some post moves...

Or we can get Hakeem who is the one who taught Amare those post moves.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#418 » by Cookies4Life » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Lets see if he can develop into a stretch 4. I obviously don't want him living out in the perimeter since he's such an effective player in the paint but him and Robinson would clog up too much space down there.

I am very intrigued with those 2 athletic freaks running the court and finishing anything around the rim. With a good PnR man we'll have our own version of lob city here.

I have concerns about Toppin's defense- he's a bit too small to handle 5's down low on the block and I really am concerned with the idea of him covering stretch 4's out behind the arc. Robinson is such a menace defensively and covers a lot of ground and mistakes that other teammates make on the defensive end but I don't want to see him getting into too much foul trouble cleaning up other players' defensive issues.

If the idea is for them to start Obi at 4 and Mitchell at 5 than we need Frankie out there for 30+ minutes a night clamping down the perimeter guys. Thankfully he's such a versatile defender and can cover the 1-3 spots. At least with Frank and Mitchell you have a scary defensive inside-out duo that can take on the tougher assignments on that end.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#419 » by Ray Williams » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:59 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

36-30 season 1
37-45 season 3

i think we should kind of look at the lakers construction. not saying RJ or obi are lebron or AD. but reading the tea leaves and even how obi describes RJ as a "tall point guard," i'm thinking that's kinda the vibes. surround their dynamic talent with shooting and stifling defense. mitch is perfect even if he may be underutilized. and you then really just need the guards who will GSD, which is why i get the quickley pick. FVV makes sense as a FA target today. and reggie bullock is perfect.

Only RJ is 100% not a tall point guard. Mitch isn’t perfect because defenses don’t have to guard him around the perimeter so they can stack up the paint which is where Obi is supposed to strive in. Listen if RJ doesn’t improve drastically on his outside shot, and Mitch refuses to take any out there then the floor spacing issue on offense of last season will still exist. If the Knicks don’t get outside shooters for the 1 and 3 positions then for sure the Knicks are going to suck again.

As long as Mitch can hit a 10-15’ shot he’ll be ok. He’s going to score a ton of points off dump offs from Obi.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,600

Post#420 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Besart19 wrote:Westbrook
Ntilikina
RJ Barrett
Toppin
Robinson

New York Brickerbockers

Westbrook will get us more wins, but I think he will hurt the team chemistry and what we are trying to build here.
I'd much rather get someone who is a better distributor and defender.
Wish there was a way to get a younger and more well rounded guard on here.

Return to New York Knicks